Killian is a bad choice even if we put comic aside[Spoiler]

Slowpokeking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Iron Man 3 pissed many people off because of the antagonist, despite his showed his melee combat skill, calling himself the real Mandarin and showed his Dragon Tattoo, not even the comic Mandarin has that. But many fans didn’t buy it. The reason is very simple and understandable

I already criticized it enough. Of course, the film does not have to follow the comic as long as it has its own good story. I will try to put away the comics and discuss about the real antagonist, Killian.

In the comic, Killian only showed up for 2 pages then committed suicide, his persona in the movie is totally original.

His goal is quite clear.

1. To make the Extremis virus flawless and use it to create an army of super humans.

2. To control the U.S. government and the terrorist organization together.

3. To avenge Tony’s humiliation.

Overall these are quite ambitious goal.

To rule is more difficult than to destroy, beside raw power, he would need to let some people see the benefit and work for him. Killian and his mutants are powerful but they could not conquer US or the world directly, not yet. That’s why he tried to control the United States to help his research and increase the number of the mutants.

Antagonist with such a goal needs to be really really smart. Beside the fighting skill for Superhero movie villain, he also has to be a master manipulator. Unlike Bane or Joker, he wants to rule rather than create chaos or total destruction, so he has to be more careful and hide his true face as good as possible.

But in this movie, Killian clearly showed he does not have such intelligence and management skill to be the antagonist who could handle such goal. It does not even fit his character.

He paid Pepper a visit in the beginning of the movie, along with that bald guy. This showed he could not calm his personal emotion. He does not love Pepper, he was just thinking of "Now I’m rich and powerful, I’m going to mess up with your girl!” Would Pepper be interested? Since he wants to take revenge on Tony and spent effort on it, he should be very clear about it. And knowing that Tony is Iron Man and a technology expert, isn’t it risky to come to his girlfriend and introduce his product? If he really wants to make a try to let Tony work with him, he could just get someone else to meet Pepper to not make himself connected with the project. That would be much safer. But he didn’t choose the safer and smarter way, the reason has been told before. He was there to mess with Pepper because she’s Iron Man’s girlfriend.

Next, he arranged a series of missions for his servants, but it wasn’t executed well, actually too bad. Even for a superhero villain and evil organization.

Let me talk about this bald guy, It’s obvious that he is the no.1 thug of Killian, that’s why he was sent to do so many important missions. However, remember the government was alarmed with so many terrorist attacks inside and outside US. Why did he choose to bring the bald guy with him when he paid Pepper the visit? Won’t people recognize his face and affect his later missions? When he was doing this missions he also doesn’t use any disguise. Happy suspected him later because he saw him in the hall before.

And the performance of the bald guy was quite…unexpected. He was supposed to get the stuff from that poor guy who later became the bomb. No doubt he should keep this as secret as possible, his boss created the Mandarin partly to cover the accident of the experiments.

However the bald guy, showed his power, publicly, on the street. WOW. He could try to run away, or run to somewhere then finish Happy. I’m not sure is the explosion an accident or planned by Killian. Either way the bald guy’s reaction is very stupid. If he didn’t expect the bomb, why did he use the power before so many people? How is he going to explain it? Killing everyone to silence their mouth? That does not seem like a plan. If he knew the guy is going to explode, why didn’t he run away? There also could be survivors since people already started to run when he fought Happy. After the explosion, he was actually knocked out and took a little while to recover, when the police could be there any minute and capture him. Strangely nobody was there when he waked up, even though they should be fully alarmed since many attacks happened before.

If the US government or Tony could think even a little about it, they would ask the survivors and check what happened from the scene. It’s easy to find out the bald guy was there, then he would be identified to be a AIM member since people saw him in the hall. Killian’s AIM would be exposed, and his plan would be ruined. Especially he talked about the project with Pepper, that is another evidence.

Of course, other villains all made mistake and sometimes retarded mistakes. But usually they only make mistake in the final battle, or something like spare the protagonist. Even if they made mistake in the first half it’s usually not very big. Well in Iron Man 3, the antagonist and his top servant made such fatal mistake in their first move, well that’s really bad.

The bald guy is quite powerful, but he really didn’t have the brain to be the top assassin of AIM, and obviously he didn’t learn from his mistakes in the next mission, glad the good guys also didn’t.

He and that pretty woman were trying to grab the files to keep the experiments as secret, so it should be done as quiet as possible. And what did we see? The female assassin used her fire hand against ordinary people, and keep chasing Tony for a while. The bald guy burned down the water tank and grabbed the kid to threaten Tony. Their goal is to prevent the experiment and virus as secret. And why are they using the power of the virus publicly? Especially the bald guy is a known member of AIM. His attack on Tony would immediately be linked with those terrorist helicopters which attacked Tony’s home. Are they trying to cover the experiment or let people know about it? The female assassin totally could try to get close and ambush Tony, anything would better than show her power publicly to attack. They are the elite assassins of a top level evil organization, but we don’t see them have the brain of an average level criminal.

Mr. Bald guy here again survived, not saying that he is not dead, but like last time, this time he was knocked out by Tony. But still he didn’t get noticed or captured and still got away, after he and the female assassin created such as big mess. And no one, including that kid report about him to help the government to further investigate the identity of him. This man really is lucky, he played with fire twice and still didn’t ruin his boss’ plan. I guess Killian picked him because of his luck.

From these two missions, we can see these mutant assassins are all powerful, but lack the calm mind to do missions without being noticed. Especially Killian wanted to control both sides, which means they have to hide their purpose really really well. But looks like these assassins love to show their power publicly, maybe because they suddenly gained such power and it corrupted their mind. Not everyone knows to not be driven by their power. It’s quite understandable but Killian didn’t try to control his minions to ensure the plan goes well. He even did similar thing himself in the beginning.

Now we see the funny thing, Killian’s character development is very reasonable compare to the flash in the beginning. His minions are also understandable. However they really didn’t show the mind, the skill to create and expand such a powerful evil organization. How did they make it? It would require a calm and intelligent leader who could put reason before personal emotion and control his minions well, but we don’t see Killian fit it or even try to do it.

In addition, that pretty scientist, Dr. Maya’s action also showed Killian is not successful as a leader. She invented the virus, she knew Killian was doing those experiments. That means she’s very crucial to his plan, if she was caught by anyone, then that means GG Killian’s plan. And to such an important figure, he didn’t even keep an eye on her, let her run to Tony and almost got killed by his helicopter’s missile? She and Tony are the biggest hope for the perfection of Extremis, and he let the helicopters shot, almost killed them both without knowing who was there? WOW that’s really stupid.

Since he needs Tony to work for him on the virus, why did he inject Pepper before Tony agreed? Even if Tony started to work on the virus, it’s highly possible that Pepper would die before he made it perfect. Won’t that let Tony hate him more and disagree to do so? Later he killed Maya when she used her life to threaten him, well it’s not the wisest move, and he could agree first then think about an idea to keep them both to work. I think he also takes Maya as his trophy and was enraged when she turned to Tony’s side. But compare to the previous mistakes, it’s not that dumb. So here goes one of his most important scientists.

The virus is the core of his plan and it’s still not perfect. Allow me to take a speculation. I believe the bodies could handle the virus forever, it might still cause explosion to those “successful” people.

The ambush on Iron Patriot is probably the best move they made in the whole movie. Later they succeed on the president after the security didn’t to check on the true face of Iron Patriot, yeah.

And if they did, the bald guy’s face would be seen and AIM’s plan would be revealed again, nice.

Overall, in fact, Killian’s characterization from the beginning of the end is quite nice and very reasonable. He was snubbed and humiliated by Tony and swore to take revenge. He’s a "I am powerful and rich now I’m going to humiliate you!" type of villain. But put him on the position of the antagonist who could manipulate both sides, create so many terrorist cells, keep the experiment as secret and control his minions well, is a bad move, it’s too much for his character to handle. He could not control his minions to do the job well, he could not even control his own emotion when he has to. However, if he was characterized to be a real great manipulator, that would not fit the Killian we saw in the flashback because it’s too big of a change.

So his character was designed and developed well, but he was given the wrong role. If someone else is the real criminal mind behind everything and Killian is just a newly recruited servant, the story would be much better, and connected better with Iron Man 1’s Ten Rings. Who would be the best? The Mandarin.

So even if we forget about the comic, put Killian on the chair of the antagonist is still a bad move because he does not fit it.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

There are probably at best 2 or 3 of the world domination type super villains that would actually be capable of doing what it really takes so that's not really a valid criticism since it covers almost every villain in the history of fiction who wanted to rule the world. Also dumb henchman behavior is nothing new, if a henchman were smart he wouldn't be a henchman.

Slowpokeking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Slowpokeking

@joshmightbe said:

There are probably at best 2 or 3 of the world domination type super villains that would actually be capable of doing what it really takes so that's not really a valid criticism since it covers almost every villain in the history of fiction who wanted to rule the world. Also dumb henchman behavior is nothing new, if a henchman were smart he wouldn't be a henchman.

But they are way too stupid, some average criminal would be smarter than the assassins.

Since they ruined the Mandarin, they have to give us something really good.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By M3th

Yes it was too much for Killian to handle, yes he isn't that smart, and that's why he loses at the end.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slowpokeking: I read a comic once where a Hydra scientist basically stated that the perfect henchman would be someone with a third grade level education and no sense of self, pretty much meaning that super villains prefer stupid henchmen because they're easier to control but it comes with the down side that they often completely f**k everything up.

As for the World domination plot, Marvel's shared cinematic universe pretty much killed that possibility since even if Killian had defeated Iron Man, the very instant Shield found out about it they'd probably drop their walking gamma bomb that happens to be Tony's good friend on top of him and wait the I'd say 20 maybe 30 seconds it'd take Hulk to deal with them.

Slowpokeking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Slowpokeking

@m3th said:

Yes it was too much for Killian to handle, yes he isn't that smart, and that's why he loses at the end.

His mistakes should let him lose in the beginning, after that explosion.

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

His reference to being the Mandarin was more metaphorical than literal.

I enjoyed Killian as a villain. In fact, I think he was so good at his role in the film, that I don't see the reason at all behind having the fake out Mandarin in it. It just felt like a twist for the sake of having a twist.

Slowpokeking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Slowpokeking
@uncanny_doom said:

I enjoyed Killian as a villain. In fact, I think he was so good at his role in the film, that I don't see the reason at all behind having the fake out Mandarin in it. It just felt like a twist for the sake of having a twist.

But he sucks as a antagonist. Most of his moves are stupid and could seriously backfire himself.

He also draw very little connection with the Mandarin beside his tattoo, will you like to see a calm black gentleman to play the "real joker"?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just take it for what it is Marvel trolled all those people who kept asking when Mandarin was going to be in the movie.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10 JediXMan  Moderator

@uncanny_doom said:

I just take it for what it is Marvel trolled all those people who kept asking when Mandarin was going to be in the movie.

The second time they trolled us. The terrorists who captured Tony in the first movie were called the Ten Rings. So they just continued it.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While we're at it did anyone else think the whole fire-breathing thing Killian did was stupid?

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Uncanny_Doom

@slowpokeking said:
@uncanny_doom said:

But he sucks as a antagonist. Most of his moves are stupid and could seriously backfire himself.

He also draw very little connection with the Mandarin beside his tattoo, will you like to see a calm black gentleman to play the "real joker"?

He's the only villain that's actually done some extensive fighting with Iron Man, and it was awesome. Plus he had a menacing yet entertaining personality.

Killian was not supposed to be the Mandarin. As an example, it wasn't like the fake Ra's in Batman Begins being killed off and replaced by new Ra's. It was more like Bane in The Dark Knight Rises being revealed to not be the character we were told he was, and it turns out to be Talia. Talia isn't replacing Bane, she's not supposed to be Bane. She's just the real threat in the movie who was pulling the strings. That's what Killian was.

By the way I think both of those twists were poorly handled for the most part, which is why I think they compare well together.

@joshmightbe said:

While we're at it did anyone else think the whole fire-breathing thing Killian did was stupid?

It wouldn't have been stupid if he actually did it again later. But because he didn't, it seemed comical and random.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uncanny_doom: It just came out of nowhere and he never even mentioned it again, you'd think he would have tried it one of those many instances during their battle where Tony was literally right in his face.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember reading in the comicbook "extremis" the story arc or whatever... that the 1st villain/henchman Tony fights breathes fire. So Killian breathing fire is kind of sticking to the comic... in a way.

Slowpokeking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slowpokeking said:
@uncanny_doom said:

He's the only villain that's actually done some extensive fighting with Iron Man, and it was awesome. Plus he had a menacing yet entertaining personality.

Killian was not supposed to be the Mandarin. As an example, it wasn't like the fake Ra's in Batman Begins being killed off and replaced by new Ra's. It was more like Bane in The Dark Knight Rises being revealed to not be the character we were told he was, and it turns out to be Talia. Talia isn't replacing Bane, she's not supposed to be Bane. She's just the real threat in the movie who was pulling the strings. That's what Killian was.

By the way I think both of those twists were poorly handled for the most part, which is why I think they compare well together.

The Mandarin could do better. And his personality only fit to be a mad scientist, a pawn and servant of the mastermind rather than a master manipulator who wanted to control both sides.

Also Talia is the daughter of Ra's Al Ghul, she became the leader of LoS makes sense. She also didn't totally take away Bane's credits, Bane is a very powerful dude, just no longer the mastermind. The real bad part of it is Bane's background and motive got ruined, he turned up to be someone who just did this because he likes Talia.

But Killian does not fit a mastermind of such a big organization, so many terrorist cells and such scheme, even if we put the comic away, most of his moves are very dumb. If there is a real mastermind behind him it would be much better.

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uncanny_doom said:

@slowpokeking said:
@uncanny_doom said:

The Mandarin could do better. And his personality only fit to be a mad scientist, a pawn and servant of the mastermind rather than a master manipulator who wanted to control both sides.

Also Talia is the daughter of Ra's Al Ghul, she became the leader of LoS makes sense. She also didn't totally take away Bane's credits, Bane is a very powerful dude, just no longer the mastermind. The real bad part of it is Bane's background and motive got ruined, he turned up to be someone who just did this because he likes Talia.

But Killian does not fit a mastermind of such a big organization, so many terrorist cells and such scheme, even if we put the comic away, most of his moves are very dumb. If there is a real mastermind behind him it would be much better.

Villains always have moves that are dumb, because the hero is going to win. Very rarely in anything does a villain come off truly threatening and with little flaws in their plans.

I think you're still looking at it with too much of the comic in your mind.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still waiting for someone to come up with any comic film where the villain wins in the end? Because there aren't any. I find it funny how many people whine and bitch but continue to see these movies. This movie is only second behind Avengers in domestic gross. Pretty sure the people complaining are in very small minority.

mr_gone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the mandarin twists was incredibly disappointing for sure. i think they should have pushed the a.i.m angle further. m.o.d.o.k would have been an easier puppet/twists to swallow in my opinion, and some 'beekeeper' henchman would have been appreciated

Nightwing4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@mr_gone: I personally don't see M.O.D.O.K. making the cut in the MCU. It'd be laughable imo. Beekeeper henchmen would have been a good nod though. But the movie never really showed any actual A.I.M. employees beyond Killian and the 'Extremophiles.'

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#20  Edited By BlueLantern1995

I liked Kilian even more than I think I would have if Mandarin was actually the Mandarin. I think he was just so awesome. Better than any Iron Man villain that's appeared in the movies thus far(I liked Obadiah and liked him for the movie but didn't like him just for him if you get my meaning).

mr_gone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mr_gone

@nightwing4: that's exactly why i think the whole "i'm an actor" thing would've played better. Less of a twists, but i also think as fans we could have swallowed a sillier character getting that treatment a little better and it would've given a.i.m a closer connection to it's comic book counterpart. i agree doing him seriously could come off as self aware parody, but if you're doing a make believe villain created by aim i feel like he's the obvious choice, it may have been the only conceivable way modok could have worked

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I'm still waiting for someone to come up with any comic film where the villain wins in the end? Because there aren't any. I find it funny how many people whine and bitch but continue to see these movies. This movie is only second behind Avengers in domestic gross. Pretty sure the people complaining are in very small minority.

kriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the worst part of what they did to madarin is that now the cant get him right until they reboot iron man whenever that is

Slowpokeking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slowpokeking said:

@uncanny_doom said:

@slowpokeking said:
@uncanny_doom said:

Villains always have moves that are dumb, because the hero is going to win. Very rarely in anything does a villain come off truly threatening and with little flaws in their plans.

I think you're still looking at it with too much of the comic in your mind.

But he was wayy too stupid, his first move is enough to bury his whole plan, that's rare even among superhero movies.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#25  Edited By Teerack

The dragon tattoo was meant to be a reference to the legend about the mandarin being a dragon or getting his powers from a dragon and all that. :P

Slowpokeking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

The dragon tattoo was meant to be a reference to the legend about the mandarin being a dragon or getting his powers from a dragon and all that. :P

In most of the Comic Mandarin does not have dragon tatoo.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just for the sake of debating.

I. The henchman is a simple answer/solution: No one cared for the A.I.M. security at the Stark Facility/Building/Whatever except Happy.

II. Lets say they did find out he worked for A.I.M. and they question Killian, he could just say that they fired him right that day for never taking the job seriously like he did at the building.

III. So what if they never wore masks if they connect them to AIM all Killian has to prove is that they were fired and/or have no connection to him.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By theTimeStreamer
No Caption Provided

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By ccraft

@joshmightbe said:

nope, I wish he would have done it in the final fight.

@slowpokeking said:
@uncanny_doom said:

I also thought he was a good villain, I get most of your complaints about this movie, but there not good movie complaints, if that makes sense..

1. In movies the main villains have to have face time.
  2. Henchmen always makes mistakes

I enjoyed the movie for what it was, awesome and funny! My favorite Iron Man movie.

It might have been disappointing to some comic fans, but I'm sure this movie help the comic industry a lot.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft: That's part of why it was stupid, they just busted out the ability out of nowhere then never mentioned it again.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

Avatar image for New_World_Order
New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ain't nobody go time to read that. :P

Avatar image for supremehyperion
SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I just wonder why even throw the Manderin in there if they are just going to give him absolutely no respect or shine ....... do you think they'd ever make a batman movie where the joker was not the real villain but instead a cracked out bum wearing make-up?

mk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Haterz gonna hate.

I thought Killian was fine.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#35 vance_astro  Moderator
@mk111 said:

Haterz gonna hate.

I thought Killian was fine.

But they RUINED the Mandarin whom is supposed to be one of Iron Man's greatest enemies if not THE greatest.

mk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

@teerack said:

In most of the Comic Mandarin does not have dragon tatoo.

I never said he did...

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#38 owie  Moderator

Nice long analysis.

To me, it's simple. Which would have been more awesome: seeing the Mandarin with all the crazy powers of his ten rings, fighting a full-on effective Iron Man with all his gadgets, or seeing these extremis guys, with their pretty generic powers, fight a largely ineffective Tony whose suit barely works for most of the movie?

Slowpokeking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m3th said:

Just for the sake of debating.

I. The henchman is a simple answer/solution: No one cared for the A.I.M. security at the Stark Facility/Building/Whatever except Happy.

II. Lets say they did find out he worked for A.I.M. and they question Killian, he could just say that they fired him right that day for never taking the job seriously like he did at the building.

III. So what if they never wore masks if they connect them to AIM all Killian has to prove is that they were fired and/or have no connection to him.

No, many people saw his face, if the pic was released publicly he would be easily identified.

Nobody would believe that, they are going to dig it up. And Killian already told Pepper about the project, it could be linked with the power he uses.

CIA and FBI are not fools, they won't believe him but would start the whole investigation, and those power they showed are directly linked to the project.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought killian was a great villain with a great plan. Too many villains try to rule in front while Killian had the brains to rule from behind which I thought to be more interesting.

As for your complaints, you seem to be nitpicking as to what you think should have happened and ignoring the plot. It doesn't matter what you think should've happened because you're not the producer or director so just enjoy the movie instead of sucking the enjoyment out of it.