inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
No Caption Provided

”Romance is coming,” promises FRESH ROMANCE, a new digitial romance comic magazine from Janelle Asselin, Senior Editor of ComicsAlliance.com and former DC Comics editor. If funded through the now-live Kickstarter campaign, Asselin’s new imprint Rosy Press will debut FRESH ROMANCE in May 2015. The first issue of the monthly anthology features sundry stories ranging from a clandestine, queer high school love affair to an impeccably researched and illustrated Regency-era romance. In addition to three forward-looking romances, each issue of FRESH ROMANCE delivers a relationship advice column by a quartet of divorced writers, behind-the-scenes art coverage, and a fashion report.

“Rosy Press specializes in publishing romantic fiction and nonfiction aimed at attracting a diverse readership,” says Asselin. FRESH ROMANCE forges a new future for romance comics with modern characters, stories and a wide array of genres. FRESH ROMANCE’s inaugural stories include:

A twist on the iconic high school love story by Kate Leth (KATE OR DIE), Arielle Jovellanos (FIVE), and colorist Amanda Scurti, in which a queer couple keep their relationship under wraps by pretending to compete for the same, equally secretive guy.

A Regency-era romance by Sarah Vaughn (ALEX + ADA) and Sarah Winifred Searle (SMUT PEDDLER) about a couple headed to the altar despite a mutual lack of enthusiasm for their marriage. (Spoiler: period costumes and culture are consummately researched.)

An otherworldly tale by novelist Sarah Kuh, who has a three-book prose book deal with DAW Books and who is penning her first comic with Sally Jane Thompson (RED JACK) and colorist Savanna Ganucheau, in which a cynical, supernatural barista is trapped in this world… until she helps enough lonely souls find love.

The first cover from Kevin Wada, a former fashion illustrator, who uses his hallmark watercolors to depict Leth and Jovellanos’ high school heroines.

Rewards available exclusively through the FRESH ROMANCE Kickstarter campaign support three-month, six-month, and ongoing subscriptions, including the opportunity to be drawn into a story, an original comic to propose marriage to your loved one, and one-of-a-kind prints and commissions, including: Five commissions by Chris Burnham (BATMAN, INC. THE UNNAMED); a Gene Ha (TOP 10, 4-Time Eisner Award Winner) sketch commission; a Dustin Nguyen-drawn original page from the Stephanie Brown BATGIRL series; a commission of Harley Quinn by DC and Marvel artist Carmen Carnero; and an original page from the Stephanie Brown BATGIRL series drawn by Pere Perez.

“With our digital platform, FRESH ROMANCE can reach a diverse set of readers,” said Asselin. “FRESH ROMANCE is the comics answer to the popular modern romance novel, and we can digitally deliver it to anyone, anywhere, anytime.” FRESH ROMANCE content will be available in a variety of digital formats: via ComiXology or as a PDF, CBR, or ePub file, and will always be DRM-free. Unlike their real-world counterparts, FRESH ROMANCE stories never end – they will later be published as ebook collections.

“Thanks to our ongoing anthology format, the kinds of stories we feature will be constantly evolving,” said Asselin, who recently appeared in the documentary SHE MAKES COMICS. “The magazine will be R-rated, so while not all of the individual chapters or stories will be racy, there will be some adult content. These aren't your mom's romance comics. Our goal is to bring avid comics readers and those new to comics together to enjoy the romance genre.

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Not quite my cup of tea, but I hope they succeed. It sounds like they have some great talent to draw from.

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

Am I crazy, or is that totally Angela Bassett on the cover?

Ren_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Oh, this looks awesome!

Avatar image for thenaughtytitan
TheNaughtyTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Franks and beans, that is all.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Sure, all other genres of comics like horror, crime ect are coming back so why not romance?

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

comics are getting real diverse ...hopefully its a good thing ...I guess everyone is out the closet now in comics ...I guess that's good ...

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, I wonder how many sales it will get before it ends quickly.

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

Am I crazy, or is that totally Angela Bassett on the cover?

lol not sure, only see two boobs...(AHS joke)

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

Awesome I'll have to check this out.

Leafx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Romance advice from a bunch of divorced writers? lol. I think I'll skip this crap.

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

comics are getting real diverse ...hopefully its a good thing ...I guess everyone is out the closet now in comics ...I guess that's good ...

Question, are you questioning whether it is a good thing that gay or queer comic creators are open about it?

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This is interesting.