Kevin Maguire says: "I am done with DC comics"!

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

In a post at Bleeding cool forums Kevin wrote about his current position with dc:

"Well, I don't want to make any big deal about it but I suppose I should say something," Maguire said via the Bleeding Cool message boards. "This is, as I tweeted, very humiliating. Obviously, I was looking forward to working on a fairly high profile book. I haven't had a top ten book since the '80s and I thought this would finally be my shot at doing one. But it's DC's book, it's their property, they can do whatever they want with it. They don't owe me anything. I've been told they wanted a book that was "dark and gritty", so I'm perplexed as to why they chose us for that. We did exactly the kind of book you would expect from us. Lots of action and humor. And I turned down a [Brian] Bendis X-Men project to do 'JL3K.'

"As for my doing other projects with DC, they offered me a four page story and a 10 page digital first story," he continued. "They're paychecks, so I'm grateful for that, but they're no 'Justice League' #1. I really don't want to do back ups and fill-ins for my career. So, right now, I'll do the four pager and then I think that'll be it for me and DC for a while. I've received some interesting offers from other companies. Marvel generously offered me an issue of a cool book, so I'm going to do that for now, then see what happens. I was supposed to do Baltimore Comic Con next month with [Keith] Giffen and [J.M.] DeMatteis, but I'll be canceling that for obvious reason. Apart from the fact that I no longer have a project to promote with them, Giffen's Newsarama quote, which I'm certain had no intended malice, still kinda stung. That's it. That covers all I have to say about this. It'll be forgotten news by next week and we all move on with our lives."

Original article by CBR

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I wonder what he'll do now.

I'd probably be interested in a new Tanga series, but I don't know if she's creator owned, or if DC has control of her.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: He said he will do some work on a very known MARVEL title for start.

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I wonder what he'll do now.

When he posted on Twitter yesterday if anyone needed a book drawn, Bendis replied Yes!

Bendis said someone would be contacting Maguire shortly. So one could assume that he's probably head to the X-side of Marvel or another Bendis project.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thegreyoutcastx: @v_scarlotte_rose: All new Xmen could fit his art

It could. I figured it was either that or he could be going to Uncanny which frankly could use a good solid artist like Maguire. Either would fine with me.

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I was only slightly interested in JL3K in the first place. And that was solely due to the fact that it was the same creative team as JLI. Arguably one of the greatest team book ever. This sucks pretty hard. I don't read World's Finest so its been a while since I've gotten my Kevin Maguire fix.

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Yikes! I thought the concept was pretty silly in the first place. I'm sure it'll sale well and probably be good. But Justice League in the future sounds like a story arc, not an ongoing series.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#10  Edited By DecoyElite

Dark and Gritty future story? Little late to be ripping off 2099 DC.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aw, it's a shame that he's not gonna be at Baltimore Comic Con. His great work speaks for himself though, he should have no problem finding more work. I mean, just do a Google Images search for his name, tons of amazing stuff he's done.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

Seriously I would have ate up a more lighthearted superhero book at this point.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Eh, his art wasn't too great.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14  Edited By lifeboy

If this forum post is accurate, then Maquire is pretty dense. He was on a best selling comic with Worlds Finest. He has this very stylized art that fit the two femme's in that comic perfect. I don't know if he left the comic or if DC moved him, but he had a strong fan base for his work on that. Especially a strong fan in me! What a loss for DC and WorldsFinest fans :(

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

DC is screwing up.

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

This really sucks but I wouldnt judge DC too harshly for this. Sometimes things just dont go the way you were expecting and you have to make some changes. It happens all the time in the business world and unfortunately it seems Maguire's art wasnt working for the type of book they were going for. I can see why too. Maguires a great artist but his art has a very classic feel to it. Justice League 3000 will obviously require art with a more futuristic tone. I was very intrigued by the concept art of the League when this book was first announced but as soon as I saw some of Maguires work on the series I didnt like it nearly as much.

I feel for the guy I really do and I do wish that this couldve been taken care of in a different manner to keep Maguire working at DC but if this results in a better final product for Justice League 3000 I'll take it.