• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

Meant to post this in the Battles forum, but since there's already a response:

Taskmaster is a master of hand-to-hand combat, and has trained with/stolen from the best, but Karnak can perceive the flaw in anything/anyone. Would Taskmaster's abilities be enough to compensate? I'm inclined to say no, but I'd like to hear what others think; I know Taskmaster is something of a fan favorite.

Post Edited:2008-02-10 10:48:42

#2 Posted by Vance Astro (91549 posts) - - Show Bio

Taskmaster hands down.

#3 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

Care to expand on that?

#4 Posted by Vance Astro (91549 posts) - - Show Bio

Korg says:

"Care to expand on that?"

Honestly,no one in the Marvel U should be able to beat Taskmaster hand to hand considering his powers and weapons to go along with it.Especially Udon's version of Taskmaster he has some sort of projector weapon that creates other weapons like shields and what not.

#5 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

That's just silly. Taskmaster cannot duplicate people's super-human powers. He might be able to copy someone's moves, but not have the strength behind them that say Spiderman would. I think it's a good match up, because as you say, Taskmaster is extremely formidable hand-to-hand, but Karnak would be able to pinpoint his weakness(es) and exploit them.

#6 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

Karnak wins.

#7 Posted by Vance Astro (91549 posts) - - Show Bio

Korg says:

"That's just silly. Taskmaster cannot duplicate people's super-human powers. He might be able to copy someone's moves, but not have the strength behind them that say Spiderman would. I think it's a good match up, because as you say, Taskmaster is extremely formidable hand-to-hand, but Karnak would be able to pinpoint his weakness(es) and exploit them."

As far as I know...Taskmaster's only weakness is being human.

#8 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

That's because you don't have the super power of analyzing people's weaknesses...

#9 Posted by Akira Overdrive (10226 posts) - - Show Bio

There is always flaws in combat moves,all those people Taskmaster has stolen from has flaws in there fighting style.Karnak can find them,aswell as the weakness in Taskmaster's body.Simple as that.

Karnak wins.

#10 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

Karnak has no superhuman abilities (other then seeing the weakest points in someones body) but just cause you can spot them, doesn't mean you can hit them. He has so super speed, Taskmaster can utilize Double Speed. Black Panther owned Karnak in less then a minute.

Karnak is a master of the martial arts. So? Taskmaster eats Ninjas for lunch, he defeats characters with super strength, speed, and agility and a regular basis. Not to mention the small arsenal of weapons he carries. There's nothing new in Karnaks style that Tasmaster hasn't seen before.

#11 Posted by Akira Overdrive (10226 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler says:

"Karnak has no superhuman abilities (other then seeing the weakest points in someones body) but just cause you can spot them, doesn't mean you can hit them. He has so super speed, Taskmaster can utilize Double Speed. Black Panther owned Karnak in less then a minute.Karnak is a master of the martial arts. So? Taskmaster eats Ninjas for lunch, he defeats characters with super strength, speed, and agility and a regular basis. Not to mention the small arsenal of weapons he carries. There's nothing new in Karnaks style that Tasmaster hasn't seen before. "

No super human abilites?Hes a Inhuman.

#12 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

You've obviously read a lot more about Taskmaster than you have about Karnak. He can sense weakness in anything, be it a weakness in your defensive maneuvers, or a faultline in the earth, to a flaw in your plan of attack, or a weakness in your weapon. You give him very little credit. I'm not familiar with the fight between Black Panther and Karnak, but I'm guessing it took place in BP's book, no?

#13 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler says:

"Karnak has no superhuman abilities (other then seeing the weakest points in someones body) but just cause you can spot them, doesn't mean you can hit them. He has so super speed, Taskmaster can utilize Double Speed. Black Panther owned Karnak in less then a minute. Karnak is a master of the martial arts. So? Taskmaster eats Ninjas for lunch, he defeats characters with super strength, speed, and agility and a regular basis. Not to mention the small arsenal of weapons he carries. There's nothing new in Karnaks style that Tasmaster hasn't seen before. "
Wasn't Deadpool able to beat Taskmaster by fighting in a different way then what was expected or something? I don't see why Karnak can't do the same.
#14 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

Akira Overdrive says:

"Gambler says:
"Karnak has no superhuman abilities (other then seeing the weakest points in someones body) but just cause you can spot them, doesn't mean you can hit them. He has so super speed, Taskmaster can utilize Double Speed. Black Panther owned Karnak in less then a minute.Karnak is a master of the martial arts. So? Taskmaster eats Ninjas for lunch, he defeats characters with super strength, speed, and agility and a regular basis. Not to mention the small arsenal of weapons he carries. There's nothing new in Karnaks style that Tasmaster hasn't seen before. "

No super human abilites?Hes a Inhuman."

So what are his powers then, other then the weakness thing? Does he in fact have super speed or strength? Cause I've never seen it.

@Nobody. Theres no reason why he couldn't, but why would he? It that something he does often? Taskmaster told Deadpool what he was doing and in fact, gave him a reason to go crazy. Every fight I've seen Karnak in he uses his martial arts discipline.

#15 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

Alright, let me pose this question: How do you suppose Taskmaster conceals whatever weaknesses he may have? He's probably not even aware of them. Underestimating your opponent is usually not a smart thing to do. Has Taskmaster ever studied Karnak's moves? Even if he has, in fact, especially if he has, he will probably figure it's an easy win. He moves in close, exposing a weakness. Karnak exploits it. I'm no looking to argue, pretty much the opposite. You clearly know more about Taskmaster than I do, and I want to imagine as realistic a confrontation between the two as possible.

#16 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

Korg says:

"You've obviously read a lot more about Taskmaster than you have about Karnak. He can sense weakness in anything, be it a weakness in your defensive maneuvers, or a faultline in the earth, to a flaw in your plan of attack, or a weakness in your weapon. You give him very little credit. I'm not familiar with the fight between Black Panther and Karnak, but I'm guessing it took place in BP's book, no?"

#17 Posted by Vance Astro (91549 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler says:

"Korg says:
"You've obviously read a lot more about Taskmaster than you have about Karnak. He can sense weakness in anything, be it a weakness in your defensive maneuvers, or a faultline in the earth, to a flaw in your plan of attack, or a weakness in your weapon. You give him very little credit. I'm not familiar with the fight between Black Panther and Karnak, but I'm guessing it took place in BP's book, no?"
"

I was wating for you to come in here and end this.

#18 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

Akira Overdrive says:

"That was in a Black Panther book."
Ok?
#19 Posted by Vance Astro (91549 posts) - - Show Bio

Korg says:

"Alright, let me pose this question: How do you suppose Taskmaster conceals whatever weaknesses he may have? He's probably not even aware of them. Underestimating your opponent is usually not a smart thing to do. Has Taskmaster ever studied Karnak's moves? Even if he has, in fact, especially if he has, he will probably figure it's an easy win. He moves in close, exposing a weakness. Karnak exploits it. I'm no looking to argue, pretty much the opposite. You clearly know more about Taskmaster than I do, and I want to imagine as realistic a confrontation between the two as possible."

What makes you think Taskmaster HAS a weakness? Taskmaster doesn't have to study Karnaks moves he's study most of the best in Marvel already...Wolverine,Daredevil,Captain America..by the time he's finished with Karnak he would probably know all of his moves anyway.This honestly should be an easy win for Taskmaster.BTW even if you know someones weakness,you can't exploit it unless you can actually get some hits off.

#20 Posted by Akira Overdrive (10226 posts) - - Show Bio

That was in a Black Panther book.

#21 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

Korg says:

"Alright, let me pose this question: How do you suppose Taskmaster conceals whatever weaknesses he may have? He's probably not even aware of them. Underestimating your opponent is usually not a smart thing to do. Has Taskmaster ever studied Karnak's moves? Even if he has, in fact, especially if he has, he will probably figure it's an easy win. He moves in close, exposing a weakness. Karnak exploits it. I'm no looking to argue, pretty much the opposite. You clearly know more about Taskmaster than I do, and I want to imagine as realistic a confrontation between the two as possible."

We can have a reasonable debate without arguing. As far as I know Taskmaster has never copied Karnak's moves. But thats not to say he's never seem any of them before, depending on what style of martial arts he uses. I think the underestimating an opponent could swing both ways. But like I asked, does Karnak have super speed or strength? Simply knowing where someones weak points are, and having the skill to exploit them are two different things. Not saying Karnak isn't a master of the martial arts, but Taskmaster has copied moves from some of the best acrobats in the Marvel U. Not to mention he carries around duplicates of some of the best weapons in the biz. Sure Karnak could and would find the weak point in Taskmaster shield and destroy it, but that buys time for Tasky create separation and open fire on him with his .45. Maybe Karnak can dodge bullets, I've never seen it or heard of it but then again I'm not familiar with his speed. (but I would point out, he wasn't fast enough to dodge BP's knee)
Post Edited:2008-02-10 14:38:53

#22 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler says:

"Akira Overdrive says:
"Gambler says:
"Karnak has no superhuman abilities (other then seeing the weakest points in someones body) but just cause you can spot them, doesn't mean you can hit them. He has so super speed, Taskmaster can utilize Double Speed. Black Panther owned Karnak in less then a minute. Karnak is a master of the martial arts. So? Taskmaster eats Ninjas for lunch, he defeats characters with super strength, speed, and agility and a regular basis. Not to mention the small arsenal of weapons he carries. There's nothing new in Karnaks style that Tasmaster hasn't seen before. "
No super human abilites?Hes a Inhuman."
So what are his powers then, other then the weakness thing? Does he in fact have super speed or strength? Cause I've never seen it. @Nobody. Theres no reason why he couldn't, but why would he? It that something he does often? Taskmaster told Deadpool what he was doing and in fact, gave him a reason to go crazy. Every fight I've seen Karnak in he uses his martial arts discipline."
I guess that is true. I just figure that with him being able to "see" the weakness in not only a person but a battle plan, he may see that as the weakness. I'm not 100% on how accurate Karnak's powers are.
#23 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

Akira Overdrive says:

So? Does that mean we can through out any and all of Karnak's feats that took place in the Inhumans comic? That makes no sense at all and its getting played out.

#24 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm, interesting excerpt. Seems a bit out of character for Karnak, everything I've ever read with him in it depicts him as being pretty level-headed. Then again, I don't know the context. He struck prematurely there obviously, and was being incredibly arrogant. In fact, that might be the first time I've seen him start a fight. He usually waits for the opponent to make a move, which allows him to see the flaws in their tactics. Anyone can tell you that a man's balls or knees are a weak point, I don't think that's a very good example of his powers. If Black Panther had made the first move, do you think it would have made a difference?

#25 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler says:

"Akira Overdrive says:
So? Does that mean we can through out any and all of Karnak's feats that took place in the Inhumans comic? That makes no sense at all and its getting played out."
I was thinking the same thing.
#26 Posted by Vance Astro (91549 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambler,Does Taskmaster still have that prototype wrist-mounted device,that he stole from SHIELD?

#27 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler, you make some very good points. I still think it would be an interesting fight though.

#28 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

Vance Astro says:

"@Gambler,Does Taskmaster still have that prototype wrist-mounted device,that he stole from SHIELD?"

No.

#29 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

Korg says:

"Hmm, interesting excerpt. Seems a bit out of character for Karnak, everything I've ever read with him in it depicts him as being pretty level-headed. Then again, I don't know the context. He struck prematurely there obviously, and was being incredibly arrogant. In fact, that might be the first time I've seen him start a fight. He usually waits for the opponent to make a move, which allows him to see the flaws in their tactics. Anyone can tell you that a man's balls or knees are a weak point, I don't think that's a very good example of his powers. If Black Panther had made the first move, do you think it would have made a difference?"

I really cant answer that. Black Panther has mastered every form of unarmed combat so to me, its realistic that he could and would land the first shot, if Karnak isn't fast enough to react.

#30 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

Korg says:

"Gambler, you make some very good points. I still think it would be an interesting fight though."

I agree and it could go either way. In fact a good case could be made for Karnak. I'm actually looking up some stuff on him now.

#31 Posted by Gambler I (16 posts) - - Show Bio

Its me again. I'm changing my vote. Karnak is a beast and would (should) walk through Taskmaster.

#32 Posted by Vance Astro (91549 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler I says:

"Its me again. I'm changing my vote. Karnak is a beast and would (should) walk through Taskmaster."

how?

#33 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

Wild shot in the dark - that's not actually Gambler, so I'd discount anything he says.

#34 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah it was me. But I had posted twice and nobody was responding so I had to go old school on em.

#35 Posted by Vance Astro (91549 posts) - - Show Bio

Korg says:

"Wild shot in the dark - that's not actually Gambler, so I'd discount anything he says."

iunno it doesn't sound like his dialouge or seem like him to return and give an answer without an explanation but I will give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

#36 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

So why the sudden change of heart?

#37 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

Vance Astro says:

"Gambler I says:
"Its me again. I'm changing my vote. Karnak is a beast and would (should) walk through Taskmaster."

how?"

After hearing what Korg had to say (about my lack of knowledge concerning Karnak) I did some research (limited research :P) but Karnak's ability (if and when written correctly) is pretty damn impressive. To be able to spot the flaws in ANYTHING and EVERYTHING means there's nothing Taskmaster has, that Karnak cant shatter. After finding a couple scans I now know he has the speed and agility to pull off these moves. He got jobbed by Black Panther (thats me eating crow) and so, since I was the one who posted that scan I figure I'll post another but in Karnaks favor.

Disarming Thor with one shot.

#38 Posted by Vance Astro (91549 posts) - - Show Bio

Korg says:

"So why the sudden change of heart?"
#39 Posted by Vance Astro (91549 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler says:

"Vance Astro says:
"Gambler I says:
how?"
After hearing what Korg had to say (about my lack of knowledge concerning Karnak) I did some research (limited research :P) but Karnak's ability (if and when written correctly) is pretty damn impressive. To be able to spot the flaws in **ANYTHING** and **EVERYTHING** means there's nothing Taskmaster has, that Karnak cant shatter. After finding a couple scans I now know he has the speed and agility to pull off these moves. He got jobbed by Black Panther (thats me eating crow) and so, since I was the one who posted that scan I figure I'll post another but in Karnaks favor. Disarming Thor with one shot. "

I still think Taskmaster wins.First of all that scan is old as hell.It's from the says were people like Spider-man slammed Siilver Surfer off of his board with webbing,and Captain America used Magnets to make his shield come back,and Rick Jones was trying to be Bucky even though Cap told him time and time again it ain't gonna happen.That looks like a little bit of bad writing to me.

#40 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

Vance Astro says:

I still think Taskmaster wins.First of all that scan is old as hell.It's from the says were people like Spider-man slammed Siilver Surfer off of his board with webbing,and Captain America used Magnets to make his shield come back,and Rick Jones was trying to be Bucky even though Cap told him time and time again it ain't gonna happen.That looks like a little bit of bad writing to me."

If anything, I think you've got it backwards. Writing was often a lot better back then, and that looks like some time around the introduction of the Inhumans and the explanation of Karnak's powers. We'll put that aside for now though: what are your reasons for choosing Taskmaster?

#41 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, the conclusion I've come to is that someone needs to write a comic where the two of them duke it out. Whoever wins, if it's written well it would be a great sequence.

#42 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats okay, I got more.

Takes down four guards without his foot ever touching the ground.

#43 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

Bet what? Your post is nonsensical. I asked why you chose Taskmaster.

#44 Posted by Vance Astro (91549 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler says:

"Thats okay, I got more. Takes down four guards without his foot ever touching the ground. "

Daredevil could do that...

#45 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

Korg says:

"Well, the conclusion I've come to is that someone needs to write a comic where the two of them duke it out. Whoever wins, if it's written well it would be a great sequence."

I agree, Taskmaster is one of my favorite characters. The moves he could copy from Karnak, maybe even copy his ability to shatter an object at its weakest point, would be badass.

#46 Posted by Vance Astro (91549 posts) - - Show Bio

Korg says:

"Vance Astro says:
I still think Taskmaster wins.First of all that scan is old as hell.It's from the says were people like Spider-man slammed Siilver Surfer off of his board with webbing,and Captain America used Magnets to make his shield come back,and Rick Jones was trying to be Bucky even though Cap told him time and time again it ain't gonna happen.That looks like a little bit of bad writing to me."
If anything, I think you've got it backwards. Writing was often a lot better back then, and that looks like some time around the introduction of the Inhumans and the explanation of Karnak's powers. We'll put that aside for now though: what are your reasons for choosing Taskmaster?"
Wanna bet? I say Taskmaster wins because he has the best of what the best fighters can do in Marvel at his disposal and duplicates of there weapons.Being able to shatter bones and find weaknesses is all well and good but how o you hit someone who has copied Captain America's defense and has a similar sheild.He has also copied the agility of some of Marvel best acrobats.I honestly don't see how he loses especially after seeing Black Panther easily knee him in the face even knowing his weaknesses were exposed and talk sh!t while he was doing it.
Post Edited:2008-02-10 15:15:25
#47 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

Vance Astro says:

"Gambler says:
"Thats okay, I got more. Takes down four guards without his foot ever touching the ground. "

Daredevil could do that..."

Can Daredevil vibrate his hand so fast that he can strike the Vision while he's intangible? Cause Karnak can.

#48 Posted by Vance Astro (91549 posts) - - Show Bio

Korg says:

"Bet what? Your post is nonsensical. I asked why you chose Taskmaster."

I said Wanna bet because you said I had it backwards and that writing was better in those times and I was going to prove you wrong.

#49 Posted by Vance Astro (91549 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler says:

"Vance Astro says:
"Gambler says:
Daredevil could do that..."
Can Daredevil vibrate his hand so fast that he can strike the Vision while he's intangible? Cause Karnak can."

no lol but he could take out 4 people without touching the ground.

#50 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

You didn't prove me wrong, you just presented arguments we already went over. Did you see how Iron Man took out Cap in Civil War? By exploiting the weaknesses in his fighting style. Karnak's specialty. I admit my knowledge of Taskmaster's abilities is less than encyclopedic, that's why I made this thread. If you've got something more substantial than "Taskmaster is the best of the best of the best" I'd very much like to hear it, as this is about gathering information on the character for me, not just being told Taskmaster would win.