Avatar image for surfingthehighway
SurfingtheHighway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SurfingtheHighway

Inspired by the first Argentine superhero "The Gaucho" (which is the moral equivalent of USA's first superhero being called "The Cowboy") who has aided Batman on many occasions: the Super Malon (also known as the Justice League of Argentina) is a team of eight extraordinary heroes who hail from all corners of the south-american country.

Oh, and most Gaucho issues were written by Grant Morrison. Yes, that Grant Morrison.
Oh, and most Gaucho issues were written by Grant Morrison. Yes, that Grant Morrison.

First appearing inFlash Annual #13 (2000), and created by Chuck Dixon and Enrique Alcatena, the Justice League of Argentina is a team of experienced vigilantes and adventurers. Having been trapped on another dimension by the villain sorcerer Guaricho, the team's leader Salamanca manifested its astral form to Wally West, asking him for help. To Wally's surprise, Jay Garrick was also among Guaricho's prisoners.

Bet you thought I was kidding.
Bet you thought I was kidding.

In order to save his mentor and new acquaintances, Wally must enter a race around the world, against Guaricho himself and (of course) a colossal Tatú Carreta, which is an Argentine version of the more common Armadillo.

What happens when you feed your Sandshrew way too many rare candies.
What happens when you feed your Sandshrew way too many rare candies.

Once freed from Guaricho's prison, we find out who the members of the Justice League of Argentina are, and what they're capable of doing.

(Left to right) Above: Cachiru, Pampero, Vizcacha, Cimarrón. Below: Yaguareté, Lobizón, Salamanca, Bagual.
(Left to right) Above: Cachiru, Pampero, Vizcacha, Cimarrón. Below: Yaguareté, Lobizón, Salamanca, Bagual.

Arguably the coolest looking of the bunch, Cachiru, is a flying superhero who is also skilled at martial arts and an intrepid detective. Think Hawkman meets Batman.

Arguably the lamest looking of the bunch, Vizcacha is named after a small, blood-leeching insect of the Andes. He is an acrobat, and a master thief turned good.

Pampero is the master of wind currents and storm. He is named after a particularly strong Argentine wind (kinda like having a hurricane-spawning villain that is named 'Katrina').

Cimarrón is a sword-wielding hero. He was shot in the knee by a crime lord known as El Papagayo (or The Parrot). That's about it.

El Lobizón is a were-wolf. He's stronger, quicker and more agile than a regular human, but he is a non-infectious lycanthrope, meaning he can't turn others into were-wolves with his bite.

Yaguareté (an aboriginal word for 'jaguar') is a super-speedster who can ran alongside Wally West with seemingly no effort. He also wears the skin of an endangered species as his costume, so I guess his power comes in handy when scaping members of PETA.

La Salamanca is the co-leader of the team. She is a master of witchcraft and sorcery who can control the elements and project an astral version of herself outside of her physical form.

El Bagual is a horse-headed humanoid. His name derives from the Argentine term used to describe an untamable stallion. He is incredibly strong and almost invulnerable. He is also the superhero that most resembles a chess piece.

So, is there any superhero that makes YOU feel embarassed of YOUR nationality? ...is what I'd ask if it weren't for El Bagual. El Bagual is awesome.

Thanofleeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Los chilenos no tenemos superhéroes importantes =(

Lol

SurfingtheHighway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Los chilenos no tenemos superhéroes importantes =(

Lol

Mejor no tenerlos que tener algunos tan vergonzosos, jajaja.

LenSnart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These guys are actually pretty badass

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

SurfingtheHighway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SurfingtheHighway

@sagejonathan said:

@surfingthehighway: I just want to tell you how epic your Amingo avatar is. MvC2 fan?

Thank you, and the same to your Loki avatar!

Yup, I love MvC2, and Amingo is by far one of my favourite characters.

@lensnart said:

These guys are actually pretty badass

I know the Gaucho is, but we haven't had enough stories with the Super Malon to find out how powerful they are. Either way, there's no denying they look pretty ridiculous. As an Argentine I see them as walking stereotypes.