Just some questions about 'stuff' in the comic book universes.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

Edited By Timandm

Hey, Comic-viners.

I was hoping some of you might be able to answer some random general questions I have about things in both the D.C. and Marvel Universe. None of these questions are controversial or serious. I'm just curious and can't seem to find the answers. So, in no particular order.

1: How many super heroes are there on the planet earth? I'm not looking for a specific number, but something in the ball park would be nice.

2: Do the Avengers have any sort of 'legal status' outside the United States?

3: I'm wondering how many genius level I.Q.s there are among the super hero community. Please copy these list and add to it. I'm just listing them off the top of my head and they are not intended to be in any sort of order. Oh, and remember, just the super heroes please.

Marvel - Reed Richards, Valaria Richards, Tony Stark, Hank Pym, Henry McCoy, T'Challa, David Banner, Amadeus Cho, Alex Power, Peter Parker, Kitty Pryde, Prodigy (David Allyene?), Dr. Nemesis (love this character!), Madison Jeffries (Bochs), James Hudson, Broo, Night Thrasher (not sure about this one),

DC - Bruce Wayne (he's BATMAN!), Super Man, Mr. Terrific, The Atom, um... Okay, I'm rather ignorant regarding the DC universe. Still trying to get into it but I'm currently LOVING the Joker thing going on in Gotham.

4: Which character, in either universe, has died and come back to life the most?

5: How many "Iron-Man Like" characters are there out there. What I mean is, how many characters are there, that wear a mechanical suit like Tony Stark. In Marvel, it seems that there's a whole fleet of them. Are they in the double digits? Triple?

6: In what story (volume and issue would be appreciated) did Squirrel Girl actually fight and defeat Galactus?

7: Why the smurf is Nova suddenly a kid?

8: Johnny Storm's replacement in the Fantastic Four... Does she have any powers at all? Other than when she wears that 'Thing' outfit (with her head completely unprotected) does she have any super powers? How about training? Or did Johnny just pick his girlfriend because she's hot?

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By lykopis

Number Six is easy....

No Caption Provided

You're welcome.

:)

(PS. I will come back to this later hopefully and see if I can answer any of your questions - very interesting.)

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By judasnixon

Question #8: Darla Deering AKA Miss Thing has no super powers at all. The only training she has is vocal training. She is basically a Pop Star that Johnny was dating. The only reason Johnny ask her to be his replacement, because Irresponsible Johnny forgot to find a replacement and she was the only person around. The Thing Suit is from an old Fantastic Four story where Mr. Fantastic "cured" Ben Grim and built him the Thing Suit so he still can fight evil. Darla found it in a closet when the F.F. was under attack, and wha-lah Miss Thing was born. Best Character Ever..............

No Caption Provided
EMH_Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By EMH_Bruce

3. DC - Bruce Wayne (he's BATMAN!), Super Man, Mr. Terrific, The Atom, um... Okay, I'm rather ignorant regarding the DC universe. Still trying to get into it but I'm currently LOVING the Joker thing going on in Gotham.

Hiro Okamura

Brainiac 5

that are those who pop in my head =)

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By judasnixon

Queston #7: Uuummmmmmmmm Jeph Loeb?

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By Decoy Elite
4: Which character, in either universe, has died and come back to life the most?

Mr.Immortal

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Timandm

@lykopis: Thanks. So the Squirrel girl beating Galactus was really just a joke, yes?

@judasnixon said:

Queston #7: Uuummmmmmmmm Jeph Loeb?

You're probably right, but I was hoping they'd given SOME kind of explanation SOMEWHERE... That's really very irritating when they make huge changes like that and say nothing about it.

@Decoy Elite said:

Mr.Immortal

I thought about him, but I don't know how many times he's actually died yet... But I guess it must be quite a few since he's earned that name... The only time I recall reading about him dying was during Civil War when Deadpool cut his head off like it was nothing cause he was coming right back...

@judasnixon said:

Question #8: Darla Deering AKA Miss Thing has no super powers at all. The only training she has is vocal training. She is basically a Pop Star that Johnny was dating. The only reason Johnny ask her to be his replacement, because Irresponsible Johnny forgot to find a replacement and she was the only person around. The Thing Suit is from an old Fantastic Four story where Mr. Fantastic "cured" Ben Grim and built him the Thing Suit so he still can fight evil. Darla found it in a closet when the F.F. was under attack, and wha-lah Miss Thing was born. Best Character Ever..............
No Caption Provided

I was REALLY hoping Johnny hadn't really gone and done something so incredibly stupid... With all the super heroes he knows, you'd think he could just CALL someone... Like, perhaps, SPIDER-MAN who is not only a good friend of his, but a member (or former member) of the Future Foundation... With the number of super heroes in NYC he could just about have shot a spit-ball from the top of the Baxter building and it would have hit a super hero... So, the best he could do is his non super powered girl friend... sigh.... Thanks for answering. And, she really looks stupid in that outfit.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By judasnixon
@Timandm: That all part of the charm of Miss Thing. She shouldn't be there. There's hundreds of people more qualified than she is. She like Scott Lang didn't want to have anything to do with the F.F. The only reason she agreed to do it was it was only supposed to be just for four minutes, but something went wrong, and now she stuck on this team where she has no business being on. I'm digging Miss Thing. She has a lot of heart and she knows she looks retarded in that suit.
Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Timandm

@judasnixon said:

@Timandm: That all part of the charm of Miss Thing. She shouldn't be there. There's hundreds of people more qualified than she is. She like Scott Lang didn't want to have anything to do with the F.F. The only reason she agreed to do it was it was only supposed to be just for four minutes, but something went wrong, and now she stuck on this team where she has no business being on. I'm digging Miss Thing. She has a lot of heart and she knows she looks retarded in that suit.

Yeah, I can see that...Still, it would have worked a LEETLE better if Johnny had gotten someone who, perhaps, wasn't qualified but had SOME super hero status or powers or experience... Like Paste Pot Pete... or 2D man? I hope, rather than continuing to make her wear that suit, that they'll call Tony Stark and borrow an iron man suit.... or call Alpha Flight and borrow a guardian suit... or... OR... They'll remember that the smartest kids on the planet are in their school, which happens to have the most sophisticated fabrication equipment and machinery in the world and that they'll put something together themselves... Now THAT would be interesting, don't you think? Tell the kids that it's a school project; "Turn Johnny's girlfriend into a super hero."

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Timandm

@Decoy Elite said:

Mr.Immortal

Any idea how many times? I was just reading that he's tried to kill himself many different ways, so the number has to be up there...

@EMH_Bruce: good one with Hiro... But can we count Braniac? He's not of earth, right?

EMH_Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EMH_Bruce

@Timandm: true, he isn't from earth, but isn't the HQ of the Legoin of Super Heroes on Earth? I remember reading something like it was stationed either in Smallville or Metropolis in the 30th century, but I can be wrong.

Med

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Med

1) The number is impossible to know because both companies have shown that other countries have superheroes, but we never have and most likely never will see them. So you can't put a number on it.

2) Other countries have other heroes. Even canada has department h. I don't think anyone else wants the avengers in their countries. They touched on this in the ultimates.

3) http://marvel.wikia.com/Category:Super-Genius_Intelligence

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Enhanced_Intellect

4) From marvel, jean grey is famous for the whole phoenix, life-death-rebirth thing. from DC you have doomsday whose power is convenient dying. also solomon grundy but im not sure if that counts.

5) sorry, i don't know this either.

6) lykopis has answered this so fantastically already.

7) because marvel doesn't always respect their characters as they should.

8) resolved also.

i like your avatar.

Avatar image for markus_langbourn
Markus_Langbourn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Markus_Langbourn

#7 is actually because after Jeph Loeb's son, Sam Loeb, died, Jeph lost his mind. Ever since, he has polluted stories with random characters of tremendous importance called Sam. He went one step further with Nova, and just decided to make a new one, called Sam. 

It's sad, but what's worse is that Marvel keep letting him do it.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Timandm

@Markus_Langbourn said:

#7 is actually because after Jeph Loeb's son, Sam Loeb, died, Jeph lost his mind. Ever since, he has polluted stories with random characters of tremendous importance called Sam. He went one step further with Nova, and just decided to make a new one, called Sam. It's sad, but what's worse is that Marvel keep letting him do it.

You're serious? I had no idea.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Timandm

@EMH_Bruce said:

@Timandm: true, he isn't from earth, but isn't the HQ of the Legoin of Super Heroes on Earth? I remember reading something like it was stationed either in Smallville or Metropolis in the 30th century, but I can be wrong.

DOH! I hadn't considered the future... and you did specify Braniac-5, I didn't catch that... So, in the future he counts... I really started thinking about this because it seems like the Marvel universe is just riddled with Geniuses. And not just ordinary geniuses but super geniuses... Then I started wondering how many there were... Seems like they'd be able to solve most of the world's problems... But maybe there aren't as many as I suspect. I'm going to check out those links Med posted a few comments back.

@Med: Thanks. I've checked out that link for geniuses in the Marvel universe (haven't gotten to DC yet) but I think the best "qualitative answer is, "A freaking boatload!"

EMH_Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EMH_Bruce

@Timandm: Yes I meant specific Brainiac-5, because Brainiac isn't a hero and you only wanted heroes. =)

I didn't look at the DC list which Med posted, but does Cyborg count? I just had to think of him. I'm not sure if he's a genius, but he's smart and because of his robotic parts he can "process" more Informations than a normal human.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Timandm

@EMH_Bruce: Yeah, Cyborg is one of those hard ones to call. It's possible that he is a genius, but now that half his brain is a computer, we can't tell if his superior intellect is natural or due to his cybernetic implants...

EMH_Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By EMH_Bruce

@Timandm said:

@EMH_Bruce: Yeah, Cyborg is one of those hard ones to call. It's possible that he is a genius, but now that half his brain is a computer, we can't tell if his superior intellect is natural or due to his cybernetic implants...

I just went to his chara page and found this in his origin text:

Victor Stone is the only son of Silas and Elinore Stone, two scientists intent on using their research to improve mankind. While Silas and Elinore were brilliant scientists, they were lacking in parental qualities, even using Victor as a test subject for intelligence-boosting experimentation. While the successful experiment granted Victor a genius-level intelligence, he resented his parents for treating him more like a lab subject than a son.

So his parents enhanced his intelligence to genius level.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Timandm

@EMH_Bruce:

Well, that settles it. he IS a genius... I don't think I would resent my parents turning me into a genius. I'd be surprised, but not resentful...

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Havenless

"David Banner"

I assume you're referring to the Hulk's alter ego. David Banner was just a name the old TV Show used. His actually name is Robert Banner. His friends usually call him by his middle name.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Timandm

@Havenless said:

"David Banner"

I assume you're referring to the Hulk's alter ego. David Banner was just a name the old TV Show used. His actually name is Robert Banner. His friends usually call him by his middle name.

Doh! That was a typo on my part... I think... But, I DID watch that show every week when it came on... Maybe it stuck in my mind...

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21  Edited By Pokeysteve
Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Timandm

@Pokeysteve said:

A genius argument could be made for Steel, possibly Bart Allen and believe it or not, Lobo.

Okay, I just GOTTA hear the argument in favor of Lobo being a genius... and for the record, what little I know about him and have read with him in it, I LIKE the character... But it never occurred to me that he might be a genius...

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Pokeysteve

@Timandm said:

@Pokeysteve said:

A genius argument could be made for Steel, possibly Bart Allen and believe it or not, Lobo.

Okay, I just GOTTA hear the argument in favor of Lobo being a genius... and for the record, what little I know about him and have read with him in it, I LIKE the character... But it never occurred to me that he might be a genius...

I was waiting for that hahaha. His genius is specific to biology and/or chemistry. He's the last Czarnian. In his late teens he created a virus of sorts that wiped out his entire planet. Billions. It's one of those things that you never see use but it's there. It's a weak argument but I never said I had a good one.

Maybe can elaborate a little more.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Timandm

@Pokeysteve: I can see that... I guess it's possible. but he certainly doesn't 'act' like a genius... Course, I'd hate if he did...

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By AllStarSuperman

for number 4 way has no one said hawkman or hawkgirl? they die over and over and over?

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Timandm

@AllStarSuperman said:

for number 4 way has no one said hawkman or hawkgirl? they die over and over and over?

good point! They keep getting reincarnated, yes?

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Pokeysteve

Another genius, Barbara Gordon should be here.

@Timandm said:

@Pokeysteve: I can see that... I guess it's possible. but he certainly doesn't 'act' like a genius... Course, I'd hate if he did...

I think a lot of people would hate it if he did. With his power set he can pretty much do whatever he wants.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@Timandm: yup because of a anceit Egyption curse.

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TifaLockhart

@Pokeysteve: He created a bioweapon that wiped out the other Czarnians, save himself (he made himself immune) and his fourth grade teacher. Keep in mind Czarnians could regenerate from drops of blood.

He repaired a time hopper once, and he knows enough about science to create weapons capable of destroying planets and not lose the spelling bee because his words involved death, but generally he's a moron. He has potential though.

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By RedQueen

@Timandm said:

No Caption Provided

@judasnixon said:

I was REALLY hoping Johnny hadn't really gone and done something so incredibly stupid... With all the super heroes he knows, you'd think he could just CALL someone... Like, perhaps, SPIDER-MAN who is not only a good friend of his, but a member (or former member) of the Future Foundation... With the number of super heroes in NYC he could just about have shot a spit-ball from the top of the Baxter building and it would have hit a super hero... So, the best he could do is his non super powered girl friend... sigh.... Thanks for answering. And, she really looks stupid in that outfit.

I really do think that's kind of the point. She's supposed to look absurd; she's not supposed to belong there, she's out of her depth. Trust Johnny to pull a stunt like that. But after all, and in Johnny's defense, they thought they were only going to be gone for 4 minutes. He didn't really need to pick someone who had training. Personally, I like the character. There's a human-ness to her. She knows she doesn't fit in.

And number 4) isn't Jean Grey - though she's the most famous for it. Think, officially, she's died twice. (If you don't count the recent retconning of Phoenix Endsong.)

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Pokeysteve

@The_Last_Son_of_Czarnia said:

@Pokeysteve: He created a bioweapon that wiped out the other Czarnians, save himself (he made himself immune) and his fourth grade teacher. Keep in mind Czarnians could regenerate from drops of blood.

He repaired a time hopper once, and he knows enough about science to create weapons capable of destroying planets and not lose the spelling bee because his words involved death, but generally he's a moron. He has potential though.

He plays the fool at times. He's a genius where it counts according to him lol

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Havenless

Throw Apocalypse in for number 4 as well. He's died a handful of times since he was created ~1985.

But if we're counting 'assumed' deaths, nobody has been killed more than Dr. Doom. Somebody should count how many times people destroyed Doombots expecting him to be gone for good.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Timandm
@Med: Doomsday's power is convenient dying?  LOL!  I've never heard it described that way.  I like that...  Let's call that his "REAL power."   Just as Wolverine's REAL power is the ability to be on every super hero team in the Marvel Universe...  Mufti-tasking is his secondary mutation.
Med

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Med

@Timandm: Marvel has plans to release a new book entitled "The Wolverines" which stars seven different Wolverines. and by different, i mean the exact same character. seven times. no explanation will be given will be given other than the word "Wolverine" emblazoned across all of their seven faces. and of course, each separate Wolverine will get their own ongoing solo series. because wolverine is the best there is at what he does. and what he does, as you say, is to appear everywhere. that's why they got rid of Nightcrawler. who needs a teleporter when you have someone who can be everywhere?