JediXMan on: The Old Republic

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

I'm not sure if I will make this a regular thing or not. This is less of a review as it is my general opinion and my experiences with this game thus far.

Originally posted on my website.

JediXMan on: The Old Republic: 

I decided on the Jedi Knight class early on. I knew that I wasn't going to be playing as a Smuggler or a Trooper, and I didn't really feel like playing as a Consular. When I entered the game, I was brought back to my Galaxies days; I wasn't sure whether to feel nostalgic or terrified. Galaxies was "fun" but repetitive when it game to the NPCs basically saying "go there, kill that, get reward." While yes they do the same thing here, at least there's a stronger feeling of urgency and reason. That and the NPCs talk and so do you, which is a welcome addition. Another nice addition is a STORY MODE. Galaxies never had this. Fine, some things had continuing missions, but they weren't plots just quests that granted you more quests that didn't offer more than a shiny new weapon or piece of armor to play with. The missions feel real, the characters feel real, and I feel like there's an actual reason for killing whoever they're sending me off to kill.

One problem I do have, though: tedious traveling. I don't mind walking; a brisk walk does the body good and my fingers a break. But I am constantly being attacked by enemies. It's not that they're hard; often they just take a few seconds. But it's just annoying, and I have to consciously avoid packs of enemies, and so now it feels like a stealth game at times. Which brings me to the issue that I knew I would have with it being an MMO: there are ALWAYS enemies around. I do these missions, kill these guys, but that faction is still there when I return. It feels like I didn't do anything at all, despite all the praise and pats on the back I'm getting from countless NPCs. This is something SWG actually did well: you could use vehicles. Now having bought the Collector's Edition, I got a nice little speeder (which looks incredibly uncomfortable to ride on - or hang on, in this case - but whatever). But this isn't as nice as it would seem. I'm still being attacked and my speeder conveniently disappears. In SWG, that only happens if the enemy destroyed my vehicle, which I would then have to have replaced or repaired. Speaking of paying, WHY DO I HAVE TO BUY A SKILL TO RIDE A SPEEDER? Come on, I bought the CE. Least you could do is give me the skill with the speeder for free.

Another thing SWG did better (just to clarify: SWTOR >>>>>>>> SWG. But I can recognize the successes of SWG): space battles. This just feels like I'm helping by firing the guns, but I can't move as freely as I'd like. SWG almost felt like a simulator, and it really had a sense of scale. You could manually fly around a planet and almost get lost in the size of space. While we're on the subject of space: I am tired of hangers. WHY do I have to take an elevator to get to the spaceport? It's just annoying. Maybe I'm nitpicking but it's still annoying. Also, why can't I customize my ship? It's a small request, but I'd like it.

Moving on to the more recent:

I decided to make a Bounty Hunter when my Jedi Knight came to a really, really stupid roadblock in the story mode. I'm sorry, but the story mode should go hand in hand with what it thinks my level should be upon reaching that point in the story. It shouldn't require me going to higher level planets to grind and get the crap beaten out of me just to progress.  

To give you an idea: I am a level 26 Jedi Sentinel with good gear (level 24 when I started this blasted mission). I pack up on stims and med packs, hit myself with all my fancy powerups, launch my companion and myself at my opponent (SINGLE opponent, I should clarify), slam him with everything we have, and promptly get knocked to the ground (literally) over and over again without even taking down half his health. I was loving this game right up until this point. I get the "teamwork" thing but that's for side missions, not story missions. It's just ridiculous.

But I did discover the hidden gem that is the Bounty Hunter class. Performance-wise, it is fun, powerful, and all around awesome. I just wish it involved more hunting individual people rather than mowing down henchmen. The story mode is nice and interesting enough. But the best part is what is in the following under spoilers:

REVAN! HOLY CRAP REVAN! No not the actual guy. Just a small cult of ex-Sith who try to follow the teachings of Revan and how he walked the line. I had to find Revan's mask, go through this rather awesome scene with a guy dressed as Revan, etc. It was just epic. Which is why I now have my title to proudly state: "X'ander the Revanite."

And while the Bounty Hunter only has 1 companion after getting his ship (the Jedi Knight had 2), Mako (*wink*) is a far more interesting character than T7 or Kira. Although this might be because Mako's history is mentioned earlier than Kira's. I can't know, since I'm... STUCK!  That and Mako is helpful. She heals me constantly. While she isn't great in offensive moves, her assistance gives me the ability to relax and pound away on my enemies, rarely concerned with my own health meter and just happy to carpet bomb my opponents to my heart's content. And back to BioWare's subtle reference. Now they're nice and all, but it kind of annoys me. Justicars? Mako?

So anyway, that's just how my experience has been so far.
Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Silver2467

Good review on the gameplay. Very informative. 

At some point or another (probably when you progress into the game more), I would like to hear your opinion on the story and continuity effects of this game.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By ReVamp

Nice, bookmarked for later pleasure.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Bring back SWG!

GTG12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By GTG12

Nice their are some things i like and dislike about this game but I still really like it.

ThexX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ThexX

I just hope they release The Old Republic on MAC

.Spider-man.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By .Spider-man.

@JediXMan: I take it you got the Kira bug? Or are stumped because of the level differences?

Personally on my JG I was always over leveled for the planets I was headed to.

The speeder thing is understandable. But you have to remember when SWG first came out there were no speeders what so ever. Not even shuttles.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@.Spider-man. said:

@JediXMan: I take it you got the Kira bug? Or are stumped because of the level differences?

Personally on my JG I was always over leveled for the planets I was headed to.

The speeder thing is understandable. But you have to remember when SWG first came out there were no speeders what so ever. Not even shuttles.

I actually rerolled and made a new Knight. I think the fixed the level imbalance, which many complained about.
.Spider-man.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By .Spider-man.

@JediXMan: Which server did you roll on? If you get set up on Mind Trick I can help you out with any of the missions, flash points, or operations.

Playing the game through as a Knight is one of the hardest things. Play it for a while and then switch to anything else and it's like a cake walk compared to. lol

My Trooper steamrolls through the content my Knight struggled with at his level.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@.Spider-man. said:

@JediXMan: Which server did you roll on? If you get set up on Mind Trick I can help you out with any of the missions, flash points, or operations.

Playing the game through as a Knight is one of the hardest things. Play it for a while and then switch to anything else and it's like a cake walk compared to. lol

My Trooper steamrolls through the content my Knight struggled with at his level.

Jung Ma. And I stopped playing Republic; I hated the players, regardless of the server. Sith players are, oddly, more friendly. So my main is now a 50 Sith Juggernautt tank (400 biochem and all that)
.Spider-man.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By .Spider-man.

@JediXMan: I haven't run into that problem. But of course I have a core group of guild mates I've played mmo's with for about a decade or so. Between SWG, ToR, CoX, DCO, etc.

Have you ran the 'major' flashpoints and operations?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@.Spider-man. said:

@JediXMan: I haven't run into that problem. But of course I have a core group of guild mates I've played mmo's with for about a decade or so. Between SWG, ToR, CoX, DCO, etc.

Have you ran the 'major' flashpoints and operations?

Yeah. And I've run some hardmodes. I just haven't done anythnig higher than False Emperor, because it's hard finding a group to actually do it.
.Spider-man.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By .Spider-man.

@JediXMan: We run them on a weekly basis. Getting everyone geared up in their purples.

So you've found out the fate of Revan? The flashpoint has two sides of the story. To get the full scope you would need to play it on Rebel and Imp side.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@.Spider-man. said:

@JediXMan: We run them on a weekly basis. Getting everyone geared up in their purples.

So you've found out the fate of Revan? The flashpoint has two sides of the story. To get the full scope you would need to play it on Rebel and Imp side.

Haven't done Republic side, but I know what happens.

I still don't think that's the end.
.Spider-man.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By .Spider-man.

@JediXMan: Well I use end in a loose sense. Seeing as it's part of an mmo story now and capable of being added to.

We run Eternity's Vault usually twice on the weekends. If not more.

What do you think about the Legacy system?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@.Spider-man. said:

@JediXMan: Well I use end in a loose sense. Seeing as it's part of an mmo story now and capable of being added to.

We run Eternity's Vault usually twice on the weekends. If not more.

What do you think about the Legacy system?

Eh. I don't particularly care for it. I think it's pointless. Although I do like the idea of "bind to legacy."
.Spider-man.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By .Spider-man.

@JediXMan: I was disappointed in the powers you can get from the other classes. That you can only use them during your Heroic moment buff. :( I do like that you can get all the class buffs tied to one though.

Have you toyed with pvp?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@.Spider-man. said:

@JediXMan: I was disappointed in the powers you can get from the other classes. That you can only use them during your Heroic moment buff. :( I do like that you can get all the class buffs tied to one though.

Have you toyed with pvp?

I suppose, but I like the idea of each class being completely unique. 

Of course. And my server is open PVP.
.Spider-man.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By .Spider-man.

@JediXMan: Have you collected all of the datacrons, or how about defeating the various world bosses?

What did you think of the Jug story? Highlights and lowpoints.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@.Spider-man. said:

@JediXMan: Have you collected all of the datacrons, or how about defeating the various world bosses?

What did you think of the Jug story? Highlights and lowpoints.

Alright, I'll answer this last post - gotta have some material left for the review.

Well, I soloed the Nar Shaddaa, Balmora (Imp), and almost the Tatooine boss (I screwed up this time and haven't had a chance to try again0. No stims, just medpacs. 

I really liked the Warrior story, and I hope they expand on it.
.Spider-man.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By .Spider-man.

@JediXMan: What's your Jugs health sitting at? 18k 20k 22k?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@.Spider-man. said:

@JediXMan: What's your Jugs health sitting at? 18k 20k 22k?

15.6k. Again, it's hard to find people to do runs with so I can gear up.
.Spider-man.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By .Spider-man.

@JediXMan: Well sorry about the 20 questions. lol

Look forward to the review.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@.Spider-man. said:

@JediXMan: Well sorry about the 20 questions. lol

Look forward to the review.

No problem. 

Take a look. I have a whole series of reviews.
Avatar image for andy_steven_summers
Andy Steven Summers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They have released news of an expansion which is going to add 5 levels, another planet and more. Today they released patch notes for the test server with many of those changes/updates. Any plans on coming back to the game to give the new content a whirl?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@Andy Steven Summers said:

They have released news of an expansion which is going to add 5 levels, another planet and more. Today they released patch notes for the test server with many of those changes/updates. Any plans on coming back to the game to give the new content a whirl?

Probably. It's worth mentioning that I have played the game since making this "review." Just haven't logged on in a few months (mostly due to a glitch that won't let me go on, but I haven't tried fixing it yet)