Posted by Blackestnight (640 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really like Ironman armor which is nearly impossible and in practical considering it would be better to build a droid but none the less and look at the colors they chose.

#1 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

Wish we had more people here in America interested in science and engineering. Sadly, most people my age would rather be watching Kartrashians than learning something that would make real differences.

On the subject on the suit, I'm going to wait until Japan develops stable boot-jets, and then imma bust up in there and steal em. Fly back to the states.

#2 Posted by Redletter (1537 posts) - - Show Bio

That is amazing i hadn't seen the compressed air version before, it makes a hell of a lot more sense then a battery powered pistons. Although preventing strain on the legs & knees when in locked position seems be a problem. That said i heard there is some interesting work being done with viscous fluid submersion in a full-body wet suit that acts as a barrier between exoskeleton & human.

#3 Posted by eippihrellik (271 posts) - - Show Bio

their going to make the gimp suits from Gantz a reality

#4 Posted by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio

There is a military one called the XOS 2 exoskeleton

#5 Edited by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

All of this is nifty, but people are forgetting the most important reasons compact powered battlesuits on the scale of Iron Man or Samus or Master Chief are impossible.

First: Power. How are you going to power it, if it's supposed to be a mobile, agile unit? A small nuclear reactor? Highly unsafe, if even possible. What if it got shot or got dirt in it or something?

Second: Portability. It's far more feasible to make large mechs, like in the miniatures game Mech Warrior, than it is to make powered armor; power constraints are less of an issue due to no longer being tied to a small, agile unit, and strength is much easier to attain since the body is not doing any lifting or moving, but rather guiding a completely mechanized and computerized system like a small factory. I can see battlemechs being a reality some time in the next few decades, if there's ever a reason to use them (which, at the moment, there isn't, since conventional vehicles and aircraft are MUCH more reliable and less expensive, not counting R&D costs), but small suits of powered armor probably aren't going to progress very much if at all. The examples being developed today all have to be hooked up to a decently sized power source, and the one the Japanese built probably can't even allow the user to carry the power source themselves, for what strength amplification it provides; I wouldn't know for certain about the XOS 2, but it likely requires a power source large than the suit can feasibly carry as well.

So basically, power is the number one issue, which filters into several other issues. I hate to be a buzzkill but powered suits like MJOLNIR armor or anything are pretty much impossible. If ever we were to get a powerful and compact enough powersource for the armor, it'd likely be nuclear fission or fusion (if fusion ever even becomes a possible source of power), and if that thing got shot or had any type of problem (lucky shots, falling from a moderate height, sand in bad spots, corrosion, sabotage, faulty components, user error, any kind of explosive device such as a landmine), you're basically a walking nuclear bomb. Not likely to ever be made and used in the military or almost any other service, including domestic services. I will, however, admit that they make awesome science projects, and they can be fun to mess around with.

EDIT: The XOS 2 video above is different from the one I saw before, actually. I still don't think it'll ever be useful for anything involving any kind of combat, but it looks like their suit could be somewhat useful for lifting heavy loads; it's slightly debatable, since I imagine it's expensive, and it can't lift anything so heavy that one or two people couldn't lift it themselves without the suit. All in all, I think it will have trouble filling in the small niche that they intended it to fill, and it probably won't get any broader use than that.

#6 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

Onwards and upwards.

#7 Posted by Blackestnight (640 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123: Japan is building full on humanoid androids I was just at a TED talk about it. The point of the suits above isn't combat. Its for work such as mail or delivery moving furniture, bulk laundry such as for hotels hotel etc. If your arms can carry as much as your legs then that is far more than normal.

#8 Posted by GodDamnIronMan (1553 posts) - - Show Bio

Japan, and all current man-made exoskeleton:

-just a simple exoskeleton generated by electrical power (plug)

-can do simple house chores or probably can help men to deliver heavy things

-magnify normal human strength by 6 or 7 times maybe(maximum)...but you can still lift your book rack

-not bullet-proof, not flexible, slow, extremely low efficiency compared to FICTIONAL Ironman's suit

Iron Man Armor:

-whole body wrapped by gold-titanium alloy(Mark3)

-bullet-proof, bomb-proof, C4-proof, water-proof, and many other PROOF...

-build-in Supercomputer and HUD display (call your girlfriend when you're flying)

-specialized satellite targeting system(with extremely accurate precision)

-Repulsor weapon all over his armor...missile guidance system, anti-missile system, Unibeam...etc.

-there are pressure sensor inside the suit, it can detect what you trying to do and give you a feedback (like a servo-motor)

-with build-in filtration system which allows you to drink your urine when you are too thirsty during a long flight LOL...

-Lastly, ***with a 4-inch diameter cylindrical, room-temperature, nuclear generator device that can power the armor***

Well based on above analysis, I don't think the ironman armor will not be able to created for the next 200 yrs!

#9 Posted by Blackestnight (640 posts) - - Show Bio

it has advanced http://japandailypress.com/robot-suit-to-be-used-in-fukushima-cleanup-controlled-by-brain-waves-1816592