James Gunn, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Nova

musim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Edited By musim

I love Guardians of the Galaxy. I love the DNA run and I love the movie. I haven't read the original run but I will at some point. I also love Nova (see my icon?). By the end of this blog you may be convinced I hate the movie but I don't.

James Gunn doesn't want to use Nova for Guardians 2, doesn't like his helmet, and appears to be fairly indifferent to the character. I don't want him in Guardians 2 either. While I do have the unrealistic wish for Richard Rider to have his own movie, there are quite a few other reasons.

For starters, I'm not convinced Guardians 2 will be any good.

James Gunn doesn't appear to like super powers. The Collector, a character that goes toe to toe with Thanos and the Avengers in the comics, an Elder of the Universe, gets his shop blown up. Drax isn't a human remade to kill Thanos, who knows if he has a human telepathic daughter bonded with a psychic dragon, probably not. The Nova Core doesn't have powers and the Worldmind is just a backdrop and not their primary tool or communication. The deadliest woman in the galaxy is a damsel in distress. Ronan's hammer isn't a Universal Weapon. Cosmo was just a dog in a space suit. The closest we get to super powers is Drax and Groot and the super powers they have are the most boring: super strength, regeneration, and invulnerability. This is a Marvel Cosmic movie and those are the best super powers we get. Marvel Cosmic, the home of crazy philosophy, planet eaters, gambling gods, and races that have the native ability to fly and the best we get is really strong and bullets don't hurt.

I suppose there is Yondu, he does have that one arrow and a whistle. Yondu is not a character I'm familiar with in the comics but the movie version strikes me as a more likable Merle Dixon painted blue.

As a massive fan of the DNA run on Cosmic Marvel, given all the evidence here, why should I hope Gunn will respect the aspects of Cosmic Marvel I love? Guardians was a comic filled with strong women: Mantis, Phylla Vell, Moondragon, Gamora. And again Gamora is reduced to a damsel in distress and love interest for Quill. Quill is the least interesting character of the group. As enjoyable as Chris Pratt was in the movie he's still the least interesting character in the group. And next movie we're supposed to care about who his Dad is?

Look I'll be there day one but I don't want Richard Rider in Guardians 2. He wouldn't get the time he deserved and he would be powerless. And I'd rather have a director who enjoys the character and the look running him. Of course the reality is Richard Rider will never see the light of day in a Marvel movie. If a main character that is a Nova member shows up it'll be Sam. Its less disappointing if I expect it.

AMENDMENT:
What kicked this post off was Gunn's facebook comments on Nova.
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=111641

Leatherface003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

You brought up some good points...I think GOTG was a combination of comedy and visual effects nothing more,I kinda liked groot and rocket and I think they carried the movie...One thing I hate about the movie is the villain...Ronan is supposed to be a menace but I think they made him nothing but a joke..like you I also have character I thought they should bring in in GOTG but that seems a long shot...I really like ADAM WARLOCK and thought will be a valuable addition to the team, but looking at how James Gunn treats his character I don't think he will make justice to the character..also in a recent interview James Gunn said he will not be bringing ADAM WARLOCK or NOVA in GOTG 2...Although I will also be there for GOTG 2 but I don't think I will enjoy it too much...

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That's an interesting point about the lack of superpowers. I actually never noticed it until now.

And I'm not sure if you could incorporate everything from the DnA Cosmic Marvel, because there were a lot of things in it that the average moviegoer wouldn't and/or couldn't understand.

Greendevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Greendevil

Excellent posts mate. You should send it to Gun.

But for the sake of argument. Groot did save Drax from the celestial fluid thing right? Who knows if Drax gets an upgrade for the next movie?

How else can they have a chanse in hell of defeating Thanos? And no matter what Gun likes or not. There will be friggin riot all over the globe if the screw Thanoses character. Hell il start a riot myself lol. Guys like Joss Whedon wouldn't let him get out of line to much.

Also, guardians was a huge gamble for MCU. It payed of thx to the way Gun directed the movie.

And lastly. Richard Rider is my all time favorite hero. I would give my left nut for a "proper" Nova Movie. I would give both nuts for the Annihilation saga.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gamora was a damsel?...What? She seemed to kick much butt throughout the movie, all of aside from 2 instances where she was held and even in one of the instances she broke free and laid some smackdown.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By joshmightbe

How was Gamora a Damsel in Distress? She was probably the best fighter in the whole movie. She had to be saved once but everyone but Rocket and Groot needed to be saved.

Just because she needed help once in a TEAM movie does not make her a Damsel. Did you miss the part where she was capable of kicking pretty much everyone's ass that she faced aside from Ronan who was tough enough to take on the whole team?

Leatherface003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greendevil: Till now all the movies Marvel made I don't think they did much justice to the villains..except for Winter Soldier(I guess).If they screw up Thanos the ultimate baddy and do something crap like that dance thing Starlord did in GOTG..I will join you in riot.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes agree with you about Guardians of The Galaxy movie. I'm glad i am not the only one because every comics fans consider GOTG movie is "masterpiece and best comicbookmovie ever".

I get a feeling that James Gunn don't like idea of Nova or perhaps not like Nova as character. Also you got to remember DC really push Green Lantern Corps alot so I see that Marvel want to try different way and not introduce the concept of normal human beings can join Space Galaxy Corps and protect the universe

Greendevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greendevil: Till now all the movies Marvel made I don't think they did much justice to the villains..except for Winter Soldier(I guess).If they screw up Thanos the ultimate baddy and do something crap like that dance thing Starlord did in GOTG..I will join you in riot.

Yeah id get pissed if they screw Thanos. But i don't think they will as they are slowly introducing him and building him. Loki was scared shitless and so was Ronan.

And as idiotic as that dance thing was...........i was literally laughing my ass of in the cinema. It was my favorite moment. And even from the beginning i knew they had to make it a funny movie. I mean come on, a talking Raccoon and a walking tree? Lmao!

I actually really liked the movie. And i was genuinely worried as they screwed Thor and destroyed Iron Man with the 2-3 movie.

A shame though that Cosmo didn't speak Russian (TP)

Yes agree with you about Guardians of The Galaxy movie. I'm glad i am not the only one because every comics fans consider GOTG movie is "masterpiece and best comicbookmovie ever".

I get a feeling that James Gunn don't like idea of Nova or perhaps not like Nova as character. Also you got to remember DC really push Green Lantern Corps alot so I see that Marvel want to try different way and not introduce the concept of normal human beings can join Space Galaxy Corps and protect the universe

+ 1

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'll be just fine.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I'm a huge fan of the DnA run, and pretty upset with the Bendis run, of GotG and I thought the movie was just great. I had a great balance of heart and comedy and the only real flaw was Ronan himself. But lack of powers? Well...none of the GotG really have any. Sure they are all physically formidable, but Rocky's greatest power is his mind and Star Lord's is leadership and willpower. Gamora was doing 20 foot drop kicks, Drax was tossing Nova guardsmen around like ragdolls, and Groot was...well Groot.

Ronan vastly outpowers them all though, and that was the point. Drax SHOULDN'T be able to go toe to toe with him, and frankly if he did it would've bothered me. Gamora wasn't in any more "distress" than anyone else at one point in time or another in the movie. In fact the only one who never needed saving was Rocky.

Now as for the second one, will it be good? I don't know, it has barely begun production. However given Marvel's track record I'm sure it'll be fine.

musim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By musim

Just a friendly reminder, I like the movie. I will own a copy of the movie. But I like the DNA run on the comics better.

Gamora's only importance to the plot was Quill saving her and as a love interest for Quill. Nebula wasn't actually important to the plot at all. Gamora's ass kicking was pretty limited to a fight she didn't win with Quill (granted neither did he) and a fight with her sister. Don't forget about Quill and Drax saving her in prison and don't forget about Quill saving her in space. Believe me from the guy who wrote Lollipop Chainsaw which has a lot to say about objectifying people believe it or not, I was pretty surprised.

Gamora is a favorite character of mine. She is the deadliest woman in the galaxy but she sure doesn't live up to it in the movie.

As for powers, Gunn left out all the characters with powers and de-powered everyone that went beyond invulnerability and super strength. For example: Adam Warlock, Mantis, Phyla Vell, Moondragon, Star Hawk, Captain Universe. Cosmo was just a dog in a space suit. Collector was just a guy with stuff in jars. Ronan was just physically powerful with a hammer that didn't do anything. I'm just thankful he at least left Groot's powers mostly in tact. And let us not forget about how pathetic the Nova Corps was.

I'm sure everyone will love the second movie and it will earn close to a billion dollars. Marvel seemingly doesn't make bad ones. Gunn doesn't seem to have any actual reverence for the actual comic characters themselves. He's more interested in the stuff he made up. He's a creator, that's what they do. I'm just expecting the second movie to go on a path that is going to irritate me the whole time. Thus I state the opinion: it won't be any good. And I know its my fault for liking the comics so much. Its a perspective that's obviously different from some people's.

I'm open to being surprised and wrong. I would love to be in fact. But I like to keep my expectations in check.

Leatherface003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@musim said:

Just a friendly reminder, I like the movie. I will own a copy of the movie. But I like the DNA run on the comics better.

Gamora's only importance to the plot was Quill saving her and as a love interest for Quill. Nebula wasn't actually important to the plot at all. Gamora's ass kicking was pretty limited to a fight she didn't win with Quill (granted neither did he) and a fight with her sister. Don't forget about Quill and Drax saving her in prison and don't forget about Quill saving her in space. Believe me from the guy who wrote Lollipop Chainsaw which has a lot to say about objectifying people believe it or not, I was pretty surprised.

Gamora is a favorite character of mine. She is the deadliest woman in the galaxy but she sure doesn't live up to it in the movie.

As for powers, Gunn left out all the characters with powers and de-powered everyone that went beyond invulnerability and super strength. For example: Adam Warlock, Mantis, Phyla Vell, Moondragon, Star Hawk, Captain Universe. Cosmo was just a dog in a space suit. Collector was just a guy with stuff in jars. Ronan was just physically powerful with a hammer that didn't do anything. I'm just thankful he at least left Groot's powers mostly in tact. And let us not forget about how pathetic the Nova Corps was.

I'm sure everyone will love the second movie and it will earn close to a billion dollars. Marvel seemingly doesn't make bad ones. Gunn doesn't seem to have any actual reverence for the actual comic characters themselves. He's more interested in the stuff he made up. He's a creator, that's what they do. I'm just expecting the second movie to go on a path that is going to irritate me the whole time. Thus I state the opinion: it won't be any good. And I know its my fault for liking the comics so much. Its a perspective that's obviously different from some people's.

I'm open to being surprised and wrong. I would love to be in fact. But I like to keep my expectations in check.

I also liked the movie..but I hardly think it was justice to the characters and to sum it up it was basically a very funny Sci Fi movie..and I really doubt they will keep true to the actual comics..

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It will be Sam, not Richard Ryder if they bring in Nova. The whole point with Sam is to bring in another fresh young teenager learning the ropes like Peter Parker, so I think they would want to carry that over into the movies.

But for the sake of argument. Groot did save Drax from the celestial fluid thing right? Who knows if Drax gets an upgrade for the next movie?

How else can they have a chanse in hell of defeating Thanos? And no matter what Gun likes or not. There will be friggin riot all over the globe if the screw Thanoses character. Hell il start a riot myself lol. Guys like Joss Whedon wouldn't let him get out of line to much.

Also, guardians was a huge gamble for MCU. It payed of thx to the way Gun directed the movie.

And lastly. Richard Rider is my all time favorite hero. I would give my left nut for a "proper" Nova Movie. I would give both nuts for the Annihilation saga.

What is it with all this left nut offering all of a sudden? Second post I've come across tonight putting up testicular currency. O_O

Avatar image for dathomiesilversurfer
DatHomieSilverSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola said:

It will be Sam, not Richard Ryder if they bring in Nova. The whole point with Sam is to bring in another fresh young teenager learning the ropes like Peter Parker, so I think they would want to carry that over into the movies.

@greendevil said:

What is it with all this left nut offering all of a sudden? Second post I've come across tonight putting up testicular currency. O_O

first, although you are probably correct that sam would be the nova and not Richard *Rider*, sam sucks :D

secondly, everyone knows that once you get rid of one testicle the other one is worth exponentially more

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4