• 59 results
Posted by Master_Thief (774 posts) - - Show Bio
#1 Posted by Alertcircuit (177 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as the comics don't try to replace the original with a Johnny Storm Jr., I'm perfectly fine with it.

#2 Edited by Master_Thief (774 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by 14NC3 (1767 posts) - - Show Bio

old news...

#4 Edited by 14NC3 (1767 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually the cast is new news to me. Sorry, I only looked at the title.

#5 Posted by ccraft (5406 posts) - - Show Bio

They look pretty young, so it's kinda weird, but it could work. I'll wait for a trailer before dismissing this casting.

#6 Posted by kriminal (649 posts) - - Show Bio

and sue is white. effin retarded.

#7 Edited by Lvenger (20756 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really see the point of making the Human Torch black when a white actor can play Johnny Storm's role just as well as a black actor. There's no solid reasoning behind making Torch black other than for diversity's sake and I hate when films play the diversity for diversity's sake card. The other actors don't seem special either so I'm not really feeling the interest.

#8 Edited by Master_Thief (774 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: yeah and im sick of people saying "oh so black actors can't play has white characters"

#9 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@kriminal said:

Families do exist with siblings who are not of the same race. Shocking, I know.

#10 Posted by Lvenger (20756 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: yeah and im sick of people saying "oh so black actors can't play has white characters"

I'm not saying he can't play the Human Torch. My point is about what the point of switching out the race of the Human Torch was. It's most likely to promote some false notion of diversity which I feel can be achieved by adding other characters in a supporting role and let them be played by good actors. I fail to see the point in switching out the race of a major member of the FF for no reason, let alone keeping his sister as being played by a white actress.

#11 Posted by Alertcircuit (177 posts) - - Show Bio

@alertcircuit: Who's Johnny storm jr.?

I was making a joke at how Marvel brought in the Nick Fury from the movies and called him Nick Fury Jr, and recently he's been taking quite a bit of his dad's spotlight.

#13 Edited by ccraft (5406 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think making Johnny black was for diversity sake, I think Jordan is a good actor and I'm sure he'll be great as Johnny.

#14 Posted by kriminal (649 posts) - - Show Bio
@fodigg said:

@kriminal said:

not what im saying. I really do not care. If he pulls off johnny storm and sue is done well it would make me want a sequel. its just stupid to not cast somebody who looks like the character. it seems like the sister thing makes that way more noticeable, especial to casual viewers

#15 Posted by The Stegman (25054 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, I would have prefered Mr. Fantastic be black, it will be refreshing showing a smart, highly respected black hero in film, heck, having the smartest man on the planet be black would break all kinds of stereotypes and pre concieved notions..but no, we gotta have the black guy be the womanizing , cocky guy with a huge ego, should have just cast Kanye West then.

#16 Edited by goobot (516 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm still hoping for somthing to happen where they need to delay the movie a bit which results in the rights reverting to marvel.

#17 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33931 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, I would have prefered Mr. Fantastic be black, it will be refreshing showing a smart, highly respected black hero in film, heck, having the smartest man on the planet be black would break all kinds of stereotypes and pre concieved notions..but no, we gotta have the black guy be the womanizing , cocky guy with a huge ego, should have just cast Kanye West then.

THIS! Also not to mention Michael B Jordan is meant to be playing the youngest character and yet he looks the oldest out of the actors

#18 Posted by Jokerpoker (2965 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice, can't wait to see it.

#19 Posted by Experio (16674 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't like the idea.

#20 Edited by Dragonborn_CT (23233 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

I don't really see the point of making the Human Torch black when a white actor can play Johnny Storm's role just as well as a black actor. There's no solid reasoning behind making Torch black other than for diversity's sake and I hate when films play the diversity for diversity's sake card. The other actors don't seem special either so I'm not really feeling the interest.

Same here.

#21 Posted by youknowwhattodo (1379 posts) - - Show Bio

The only casting I didn't like was Jaime Bell as the Thing but the thing that is going to influence my expectations for the film are not the actors but the creative team behind it. Josh Trank did a great job directing Chronicle so I think this could work.

#23 Posted by RogueShadow (11124 posts) - - Show Bio

They are also making it more complicated than it needs to be with the racial difference between Sue and Johnny, it's not that I don't like it, but it's an unnecessary extension that may become extraneous story telling and bog down the plot, having Reed be black wouldn't have such strings.

As to your point, I agree, Johnny actually lives up to the steretypical archetype of early - mid twenties rich black guy. I think it would seem much less like pandering, had they cast a black man as Reed Richards... I don't know how to articulate it exactly, but that would have seem like a more dignified and intelligent move.

It would also be much more potent in trying to create a multi racial feel, with the interracial relationship between Reed and Sue.

So yeah, good point that I hadn't considered, now I'm wishing they'd made Reed black instead, that would have resonated more with people I think.

As to the actual casting, overall ambivalence, not really happy, not really sad, the only one that I like is Kate Mara.

#24 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

Same here.

@kriminal said:
@fodigg said:

@kriminal said:

not what im saying. I really do not care. If he pulls off johnny storm and sue is done well it would make me want a sequel. its just stupid to not cast somebody who looks like the character. it seems like the sister thing makes that way more noticeable, especial to casual viewers

There's nothing intrinsically "white" about Johnny Storm that means he can't be portrayed by someone with a different racial heritage. This has been successfully done, by Marvel no less, enough times that it doesn't really hold water as a practical argument. Nostalgia is not a good basis for an argument. As you say, they either pull off the character or don't, but the quality of the performance should determine that.

I think that would've worked well, and would also include another positive portrayal of an interracial couple, which I think would be a good thing (as Cheerios is aware).

However, I prefer Johnny to Thing. That was my chief worry. That they'd make Ben Grimm black but then turn him into a monster who doesn't look black to cover it up, falling into the monstrous black man stereotype while simultaneously hiding his features.

#25 Edited by StrangeMan (411 posts) - - Show Bio

Anon's on to something.

#26 Posted by KingAres109 (1278 posts) - - Show Bio

Twins have been born looking black and white.So why can't a sister and brother can't??It make sense to me.

#27 Posted by Cloakx14 (3505 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm fine with the casting.

#28 Posted by HumanRocket (8644 posts) - - Show Bio

I got nothing against this casting

#29 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (23233 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: I don't even care about this movie to be honest, not because Human Torch is black. Its because Fox is so late in the superhero movie race, they can't keep up with Marvel Studios/Disney. Hell they are even far behind DC, who is the most desperate of the companies, trying to replicate the Avengers success so badly, they feel like they need to cram every superhero they can and make absurd out of this world, hit or miss casting. I ain't even get worked up over Johnny being black, but I find ridiculous that all people decrying it are being labelled as racist just because they don't like change... Personally I think its more racist to cast someone for diversity's sake rather than actual talent.

#30 Edited by Vitality (1768 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never been one to not like a movie based on casting...because I usually find it's best to just wait and see how it all turns out.

However, this casting is terrible in my opinion...and at this point, I could honestly care less if the movie is good or not.

Reed and Johnny are just too mis-cast in appearance.

It's one thing in comics when a new character takes over the role of the hero...such as Miles taking on the spiderman persona...but it's completely different when you're simply changing the race of a character for no reason.

It's simply not the fantastic four to me.

That being said, I'm sure I will watch the movie when it comes out on Netflix.

#31 Posted by Jphu8414 (3844 posts) - - Show Bio

I am intrigued

Could either be really great or an utter disaster-I'll have to wait until I see them in costume or a an actual trailer to make any real comments

And no I am not one of these people mad at the black Johnny Storm, that's actually the casting that has me the most excited, the ones I am skeptical on are the rest of the team. Reed looks REALLY young

#32 Edited by Vitality (1768 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphu8414 said:

I am intrigued

Could either be really great or an utter disaster-I'll have to wait until I see them in costume or a an actual trailer to make any real comments

And no I am not one of these people mad at the black Johnny Storm, that's actually the casting that has me the most excited, the ones I am skeptical on are the rest of the team. Reed looks REALLY young

I'm not mad...I'm just disappointed.

It just doesn't make sense...and it's simply NOT Johnny Storm.

You can't bring in a black Captain America and call him Steve Rogers...you can't bring in a black Superman and call him Clark Kent.

My point is...you can bring in a black Human Torch...but you can't call him Johnny Storm.

#33 Edited by Zmasonite (1004 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft said:

I don't think making Johnny black was for diversity sake, I think Jordan is a good actor and I'm sure he'll be great as Johnny.

I do actually think he will do well with the character. i wonder if theyre gonna be step siblings or if ones adopted or something though

#34 Posted by ccraft (5406 posts) - - Show Bio

@zmasonite: I'm hoping they do a step sibling scenario, because I have two step siblings, so that would be cool. But I think it's more probable that he will be adopted.

I don't get why people are having such a hard time with him being black, as long as they act like brother and sister whats the problem, you know?

#35 Posted by Cloakx14 (3505 posts) - - Show Bio

haters gon hate.

#36 Edited by Zmasonite (1004 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft: people are always going to be offended one way or another so im indifferent.

#37 Posted by Vitality (1768 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft: people are always going to be offended one way or another so im indifferent.

Offended is definitely the wrong word to use here. I highly doubt anyone is "offended" by the decision.

I'm just disappointed by the decision for the simple reason that Johnny Storm is not black.

#38 Edited by ccraft (5406 posts) - - Show Bio

@vitality: Johnny being black isn't going to change the characters personality one bit, it's a minor change for reasons unknown at the moment.

#39 Edited by russellmania77 (15674 posts) - - Show Bio

This movie is a fail and yeah human torch is white and I do have a problem with that Just like if john stewart was turned asian

#40 Posted by Knightsofdarkness2 (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool, even though the last fantastic movie sucked but there is still a possibility this reboot might rock

#41 Posted by Knightsofdarkness2 (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

I am kinda shocked that this thread has racist comments in it.

#42 Edited by ccraft (5406 posts) - - Show Bio

it's not racist, it's worst...it's fan rage!

#43 Posted by LyraFay (2536 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: I don't even care about this movie to be honest, not because Human Torch is black. Its because Fox is so late in the superhero movie race, they can't keep up with Marvel Studios/Disney. Hell they are even far behind DC, who is the most desperate of the companies, trying to replicate the Avengers success so badly, they feel like they need to cram every superhero they can and make absurd out of this world, hit or miss casting. I ain't even get worked up over Johnny being black, but I find ridiculous that all people decrying it are being labelled as racist just because they don't like change... Personally I think its more racist to cast someone for diversity's sake rather than actual talent.

Warners has been making Superhero movies since 1978 and they didn't wake up just now and go we have DC comics in hands after Iron man opened. Fox has been making X-men movies since 2000. None of these are late, they just need to get their ducks in order or try something new that sometimes works (Dark Knight Trilogy, X-men: First Class) or doesn't (Green Lantern, X-men 3). It's all about adapting to the changing media landscape.

#44 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: I don't even care about this movie to be honest, not because Human Torch is black. Its because Fox is so late in the superhero movie race, they can't keep up with Marvel Studios/Disney. Hell they are even far behind DC, who is the most desperate of the companies, trying to replicate the Avengers success so badly, they feel like they need to cram every superhero they can and make absurd out of this world, hit or miss casting.

Well, the X-Men stuff by Fox seems to be doing pretty well, and were some of the early greats. But certainly they're behind on any short of shared universe, which I don't think they're even trying with this FF reboot.

I ain't even get worked up over Johnny being black, but I find ridiculous that all people decrying it are being labelled as racist just because they don't like change... Personally I think its more racist to cast someone for diversity's sake rather than actual talent.

Being racially inclusive is not racism. It is the opposite of racism. Seriously people, tokenism and diversity/inclusion are not synonymous.

#45 Posted by gor724 (837 posts) - - Show Bio

@alertcircuit: Who's Johnny storm jr.?

They replaced Nick Fury with Nick Fury jr who was black to correspond with the movies.

#46 Edited by Dragonborn_CT (23233 posts) - - Show Bio

@lyrafay, @fodigg: Considering the insane amount of money the next movie X-Men is costing, if they f**k it up and it bombs financially, then I don't know if they will have any interest in keeping up with the superhero movie's race.

#47 Posted by Lvenger (20756 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't you dare try and construe my comment as racist. My post was questioning the POINT of changing the race of Johnny Storm from white to black for no tangible reason. There are many white actors that can play the role of Johnny Storm just as well as any black actor so changing the race of a white character to black just seems pointless.

#48 Posted by LyraFay (2536 posts) - - Show Bio
#49 Edited by Dragonborn_CT (23233 posts) - - Show Bio

This movie is a fail and yeah human torch is white and I do have a problem with that Just like if john stewart was turned asian

I would love to see that... Everything we bring that up, people prefer to not comment about it.

#50 Posted by Knightsofdarkness2 (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: i wasn't calling you racist, i was calling the other's racist. But now looking back at your comment, it does show some racism. I'm just being truthful here.