Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Timandm

@joshmightbe said:

@Timandm: Pretty much the only way for a character to just be a character in comics is to be a white American, everyone else is either a total stereotype from the writers or fans treat them like they need to represent their entire group

I'm not trying to debate you... I'm honestly wondering HOW it could be done... I was in a discussion earlier with my wife and we talked about how, so often, it's easy for people (all of us) to criticize the action of another, but most of the time we don't even offer an alternative solution or way of doing a thing... and I've honestly been thinking of ways characters of different ethnicities and cultural backgrounds could be represented... and, you know what? It's hard... Obviously, you can draw them a certain way. and you HAVE to put in some things that will SEEM like your stereotyping... For example, for a Hawaiian, I WOULD show them, occasionally in a Hawaiian shirt. Even though 'Hawaiian shirts' were created by white people, they are VERY common in Hawaii, worn by the locals, and are considered very Hawaiian... I would show them eating things like spam, hot dogs, and vienna sausages... This would SEEM like I'm stereotyping them, but... guess what, we really DO eat gobs of spam, hot dogs, and vienna sausages... That started back when American military bases were built in Hawaii. The sailors and soldiers would trade the k-packs and rations to the locals for..whatever... and the Hawaiians, it turned out, loved that salty, cheap, canned meat... My niece came from Hawaii to stay with me and my family one summer. She was shocked at the fact that the grocery stores here only have a "leetle beety" section for spam...

Anyway, getting back to the point. Often times, the things we use to convey a character's ethnic heritage, also risk making them into a stereotype... So, how do we move beyond that?

You're "Native American" yes? Let's say your character is an accountant, living in Charlotte, N.C.... He/She is 25, drives a Saturn, plays guitar, and loves soccer... Now, what things do you add that distinguish him/her as Native American?

On a non-related topic, have you ever found it odd that Hawaiians are not considered "Native Americans?" Hawaiians are an indigenous race of people... Just wondering. I've never had anyone could ever give me an answer to that one...

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#52  Edited By joshmightbe

@Timandm: I'll be honest despite the fact that I'm mostly Native American (My dad is part white) I was never really exposed to much of the Culture growing up cause we lived in an area that was almost totally white so I'm still learning about it. So maybe I could have a character who like me has an interest in learning about his culture because he didn't grow up with it while not making it the defining trait of his life.

As for the Hawaiian thing while I agree they should have Native American status they're technically Polynesian which is the distinction that's kept them apart. Its a crap excuse but since America has never even bothered to come up with a reasonable explanation I had to think one up just now.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#53  Edited By Yung ANcient One

Homosexuality is a fairly new concept to comics. Give the artists\writers\creators some time, maybe you will get those characters you desire.

If it won't make money, it won't get done.

(+)

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Timandm

@joshmightbe: Now THAT'S an idea! Seriously... A character, like you, who grew up in a predominantly white are who spends time, now and then, learning about his heritage. His or her powers don't have to have anything to do with his search for his heritage. That could just be a background story that makes things more interesting...

as for the polynesian thing... Yeah it's a crap answer but at least it's something... LOL.. Life seldom makes sense anyway...

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#55  Edited By joshmightbe

@Timandm: See its not impossible to have a non stereotypical character just takes some effort. As for the Polynesian thing yeah it was the first thing that popped in my head.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Timandm

@joshmightbe: So, I guess the problem is... "that it takes effort." And, if we're honest with ourselves, comic books are a business... Marvel and DC and the independents print and sell comic books to make money, and they are going to focus on the largest audience... Hawaiians only make up LESS THAN 0.09% of the population of the United States. it's not likely we'll see a Hawaiian A-lister super hero... It'd be nice but...let's be real... I 'think' the percentage for Native Americans and Alaskans is around 0.9%. So, again, the industry is less likely to focus too much effort on them...

BUT... to be fair... I can think of at least 3 interesting Hawaiian super heroes (Mettle (currently dead), Loa, and the Druid.) Sure, I'd like to see more, but considering we're such a small portion of the population, I think it's going rather well...

As for Native Americans, when I compare the state of things now compared to the 70s and even 80s, they are SO much better... Thunderbird, Warpath (and I really like Warpath), Danielle Moonstar (who I still really don't care for), Forge (I LOVE THIS CHARACTER), Shaman, Talisman, and American Eagle (this guy makes me laugh).. Even if we're not completely happy with how Native Americans are represented, I do think the industry has made tremendous progress in the last 20 years... We need to recognize that... Course, that doesn't me we should stop hoping that they'll do better in the future...