• 55 results
  • 1
  • 2
Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking around Comicvine, it's becoming more and more frustrating to look at the most recent topics, as they're basically just the same thing over and over. Look at Off-Topic if you doubt that.  
Basically, I've taken it upon myself to write a list of guidelines for thread making, and if your thread doesn't fit this criteria, then maybe it needs some altering.   
 
Before you decide to make a thread, consider the following; 
  
Will your question be easily answerable on the CV wiki, or with a quick Google search? 
So you want to know what ethnicity Bane is? That's a more than fair enough question, but do you need a thread for it? The answer is no. Just a quick read of his CV bio will tell you where he was born, where he grew up, etc...  Google exists for a reason, so that people don't have to ask each other questions with easy to find answers. Use it. It's awesome. 

Has your thread already been made?  
Despite being the most frequently occurring type of pointless thread, this also happens to be the easiest to fix. Use the Search Function, it's as simple as that. If you're going to make a thread called "Offical Amazing Spider-Man film Discussion Thread", check if there is already one in existence. Otherwise, CV ends up with two "Official" threads, and you look like an idiot.  
 
Is your thread title specific enough that it will turn up in future Search Results, and that people will actually want to read it?  
 You could have the most legitimate of questions to ask in your thread, but if you title it; "Can someone answer this?" Then the usefulness of your thread just plummeted. It's no good having a great idea/topic if everyone skips over it because of the vagueness of the title. In addition if your question is "How much does the Iron Man armour cost to build?", but you title the thread "A question about Iron Man", then you've screwed up the search for anyone in the future who may have a similar question. 
 
Does your thread need to exist on its own, or can it be added to an already existing thread?  
This is very important. Just because you saw Avengers doesn't mean that you need to make a thread about your thoughts on the film. Chances are, they're similar to everyone else's and can easily fit inside one of the many other Avengers film threads. If you want to ask people who they'd prefer being, Thor or Hulk, then add it to a "Who would you rather be" thread, don't create another one. This can go past simple laziness and sometimes approach vanity. And speaking of vanity...

Does anyone other than you actually care?  
This may sound harsh, but let's be blunt, most of a person's thoughts are interesting to them alone. If you saw a duck cross the road only to start doing the MC Hammer dance, then that's terrific, but does it need a thread? (If you have video, then yes, it bloody does, because that would be awesome). But if it's just your word, then there's a great little thread called "What's going through your mind right now?" with only a few HUNDRED THOUSAND posts, so just put your random thoughts and observations there. This also goes for things like "Guess my height". Dude, no one cares. Seriously. 
 
Is your thread just really, really dumb? 
If you decide to make a thread like Kanye West vs Bruce Lee, you might get a laugh or two from casual visitors. Mostly you'll just get a bunch of irreverent memes and gifs. Then someone will say "x-character" sucks, or something about Euthanasia, everyone will fight, and the thread will get locked. Congratulations, that's your fault.  
Essentially, I'm just saying think before you post. If it's not that funny, it's gross or offensive, just don't make it. Go read a comic or something. Amuse yourself some other way, because frankly, you're just going to annoy people here.  
 
Happy Thread-Making.  

#1 Posted by Uno_Oscuro (743 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice thread, this should be anchored.

#2 Posted by JediXMan (30321 posts) - - Show Bio

Well done. Sticky material, this.

Moderator
#3 Posted by Illuminatus (9504 posts) - - Show Bio

<3

#4 Posted by cattlebattle (12694 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone was a Hitler youth.....

#5 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@cattlebattle said:
Someone was a Hitler youth.....
What? If you're referring to me, I am extremely offended by this comment and would like you to elaborate. 
#6 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Is your thread just really, really dumb? If you decide to make a thread like Kanye West vs Bruce Lee, you might get a laugh or two from casual visitors. Mostly you'll just get a bunch of irreverent memes and gifs. Then someone will say "x-character" sucks, or something about Euthanasia, everyone will fight, and the thread will get locked. Congratulations, that's your fault.

The most accurate description of anything, ever.

#7 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

Someone was a Hitler youth.....

Someone is butthurt...

#8 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus said:

<3

QFT

#9 Posted by JediXMan (30321 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Is your thread just really, really dumb? If you decide to make a thread like Kanye West vs Bruce Lee, you might get a laugh or two from casual visitors. Mostly you'll just get a bunch of irreverent memes and gifs. Then someone will say "x-character" sucks, or something about Euthanasia, everyone will fight, and the thread will get locked. Congratulations, that's your fault.

The most accurate description of anything, ever.

QFT

@InnerVenom123 said:

@cattlebattle said:

Someone was a Hitler youth.....

Someone is butthurt...

This, too.

Moderator
#10 Posted by k4tzm4n (40612 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

Someone was a Hitler youth.....

Wanting to clean up the threads doesn't make someone a Nazi. Please try to avoid remarks like that.

Staff
#11 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Despite Godwin's Law derailing things, this should be pinned.

#12 Posted by Mercy_ (92684 posts) - - Show Bio

♥ (my heart is better than everybody else's)

Moderator
#13 Posted by k4tzm4n (40612 posts) - - Show Bio

Pinned.

Staff
#14 Posted by Remi (613 posts) - - Show Bio

Kanye West vs Bruce Lee?

That's a great idea!

*goes to make the thread*

#15 Posted by inferiorego (23084 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey! Every thread I make is extremely dumb.... "I Hate InferiorEgo Club" anyone?

Staff
#16 Posted by CrimsonCake (2677 posts) - - Show Bio

Future generations of comic viners are probably not going to read this and the stupid threads will go on...Unless it stays permanently at the top of the thread.

#17 Posted by Renee (10289 posts) - - Show Bio

The Off-Topic section has been a blah lately. This thread is way needed! ♡ it.


Awesome job FTBB! :)
#18 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool. Nice work.

#19 Posted by danhimself (22492 posts) - - Show Bio

also how hard is it to put your thread in the right forum...if you're asking a question about Hulk then it probably shouldn't go in the General Discussion forum

#20 Posted by Mercy_ (92684 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

also how hard is it to put your thread in the right forum...if you're asking a question about Hulk then it probably shouldn't go in the General Discussion forum

There's something in the works for this :)

Moderator
#21 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

This is brillant! Unfortunetly I am afraid it will be widely ignored.

#22 Posted by Comiclove5 (1258 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

This is brillant! Unfortunetly I am afraid it will be widely ignored.

This!!

Plus, I stop making random threads a while ago, because most of them could be easily answered.

#23 Posted by Teerack (5835 posts) - - Show Bio

People that make bad threads aren't going to bother reading a word of this thread lol.

#24 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt
Moderator
#25 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4235 posts) - - Show Bio

I support this, but @Teerack: is right, only people who care will read this sadly.

#26 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@Morpheus_ said:

@FadeToBlackBolt:

Oh, Morph.

<3

#27 Posted by ragdollpurps (15572 posts) - - Show Bio

You go, Glen Coco.

*hugs*

#28 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

I applaud your efforts with the vain hopes that it can cut down on the vast amount of fluff threads

#29 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123: I thought you'd approve. 
 
It should also cheer you up from certain people threatening your person.
Moderator
#30 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@Morpheus_: Awww. You do care.

Thankfully that's been mostly cleared up. I think.

#31 Posted by Dernman (14960 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said: 
Does anyone other than you actually care?  
This may sound harsh, but let's be blunt, most of a person's thoughts are interesting to them alone. If you saw a duck cross the road only to start doing the MC Hammer dance, then that's terrific, but does it need a thread? (If you have video, then yes, it bloody does, because that would be awesome). But if it's just your word, then there's a great little thread called "What's going through your mind right now?" with only a few HUNDRED THOUSAND posts, so just put your random thoughts and observations there. This also goes for things like "Guess my height". Dude, no one cares. Seriously. 
For a second I was going to get mad at you. I thought you were going to suggest someone not post a vid of a duck doing the Hammer dance. If anyone finds a vid like that they better Dern well post it. :p
#32 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123: And here I thought I was posting that scan as a sendoff gift before your get to watch the lilies from the inside up. Pity.
Moderator
#33 Posted by danhimself (22492 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

@danhimself said:

also how hard is it to put your thread in the right forum...if you're asking a question about Hulk then it probably shouldn't go in the General Discussion forum

There's something in the works for this :)

thank god....it really upsets me when I actually work up the motivation to post a thread only for someone to post the exact same thread 4 hours later in General Discussion and their thread gets more hits than mine

#34 Posted by Mercy_ (92684 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

@Mercy_ said:

@danhimself said:

also how hard is it to put your thread in the right forum...if you're asking a question about Hulk then it probably shouldn't go in the General Discussion forum

There's something in the works for this :)

thank god....it really upsets me when I actually work up the motivation to post a thread only for someone to post the exact same thread 4 hours later in General Discussion and their thread gets more hits than mine

I've moved like thirty threads in the last five days. So I feel your frustration on that.

Moderator
#35 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@Morpheus_: Lilies are boring. Burn my body when I die. I've always enjoyed staring at fire. :P

#36 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123: Some men just want to watch the world burn.
Moderator
#37 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@Morpheus_: Yes.

Yes they do.

#38 Posted by RazzaTazz (9611 posts) - - Show Bio

I should start some new threads

Moderator Online
#39 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool

#40 Posted by ApatheticAvenger (1636 posts) - - Show Bio
#41 Posted by cbishop (7525 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

Pinned.

It is? Because it's not at the top of the page (or it wasn't before I posted this comment).

#42 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt: Excellent blog, but you accidentally revealed that you listen to MC Hammer. :P

#43 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread is amazing

#44 Posted by jloneblackheart (5507 posts) - - Show Bio

You left out the "is my topic title spelled correctly?" paragraph

Moderator
#45 Posted by cosmicallyaware1 (4305 posts) - - Show Bio

Good advice on this, thanks for the tips, I will use this. cool stuff!!

#46 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (2961 posts) - - Show Bio

haven't made a single thread yet but I will keep it in mind thanks......now Im off to find a duck who can do the MC Hammer dance lol (that part had me laughing to myself for a minute)

#47 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

@Uno_Oscuro said:

Nice thread, this should be anchored.

and bumped again when the time is needed.

#48 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah, why isn't it anchored?

#49 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jorgevy said:

yeah, why isn't it anchored?

It used to be O_o
#50 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Jorgevy said:

yeah, why isn't it anchored?

It used to be O_o

hmmmmmmmmmmm???????