#1 Edited by Chibio (973 posts) - - Show Bio

There you have the question and I'm looking forward to your opinion!

Do you think that Thor is really worthy of wielding Mjolnir? I personally don't think so. Looking at the character and the way he behaves nowdays and how he treats not only opponents, who are less powerful than him, but also people who are somewhat close to him, I don't feel like it. And the same applies for Captain America. Not for the same reasons, but I never felt like Captain America should be able to wield Mjolnir. Yes, he has a noble character and always does the right thing, but I don't feel like his adventures and moments have backed it up enough.

The only well known character in Marvel comics, who is worthy of wielding Mjolnir is Peter Parker aka Spider-Man, in my honest opinion. I feel that Peter Parker went through so much depressive moments and always came out of top. Not because he is supposed to be the all-american superhero, or a very powerful Alien from some weird dimension, but simply because he is an amazing guy, who is always looking forward to the next day, no matter how dark it gets and how much **** he gets from certain characters and since we're talking about Spider-Man, it's basically all the people in New York, who gave him shit on a daily basis.

I'm really waiting for a brave writer, who thinks just like me to see a scene in the comics, where Odin kicks Thor back to the stone age, looks at Spider-Man and yells something like: "YOU ARE WORTHYYY!!! YOU ARE MY REAL SON, PETER PARKINSON ODINSON!", and then he gives him the Hammer and Spider-Man gains more power than he had for a while as Spider-Universe.

#2 Posted by warlock360 (28180 posts) - - Show Bio

Peter Parkinson? really? :D

Anyway, what values Odin imbued into the hammer to judge who is worthy of wielding Mjolnir was up to him. Courage, Strength and other ideals. Odin wanted Thor to succeed him as king of the throne of Asgard one day, to be become king. Parker is no king.

#3 Posted by joshmightbe (26026 posts) - - Show Bio

@chibio: Odin decides who's worthy by his standards and Odin is the god who decided that the path to heaven was bloody combat

#4 Edited by tg1982 (2748 posts) - - Show Bio

First I'd like to say, that I like Spider Man (Parker), but Parker wouldn't be a super hero if his uncle didn't die, as a result of Peter doing nothing. That alone makes him unworthy in my opinion.

Captain America always wanted to help and do the right thing, even before he had the SSS, he was trying to help and fight the Nazis. He was always Captain America in spirit, the SSS just made him Captain America in body.

And Thor is Thor, it's no question he is worthy.

#5 Posted by joshmightbe (26026 posts) - - Show Bio

If being a jerk made you unworthy Odin himself wouldn't be able to lift it.

#6 Edited by CharlieJade (442 posts) - - Show Bio

Vikings and their Gods were a,ssholes and i think youre definition of worthy and the Odin definition are two different ideas me thinks. From Asgard's Realm and the other worlds in the Thor mythos, death in battle is usually a great honor, if not the greatest honor and in this regard, giving someone "a good death" as they put it in 300, killing someone in battle, often sends them to a realm of particular importance (such as Valhalla for the Asgardians) or makes them a hero to their people, dying for the ultimate cause. The mystical vikings did not live with nice people, they invaded villages, sailed in their super ships to attack others, they fought fire demons, defeated frost giants, they burnt enemies to the ground, cut off heads, trained and trained and trained in hand to hand for many years, then trained some more, drank like alcoholics, Spider-Man can not lift it because he lacks the same warrior spirits those who have lifted it do.

#7 Posted by Perezite (1458 posts) - - Show Bio

If being a jerk made you unworthy Odin himself wouldn't be able to lift it.

Ohhhh! BURN!

#8 Posted by Decoy Elite (30159 posts) - - Show Bio

You have to keep in mind cultural context. Worthy for the Asgaurdian culture is different from worthy of the modern human culture.

#9 Posted by i_like_swords (21017 posts) - - Show Bio

How can you be worthy of Mjolnir when you're dead?

#10 Posted by oceanmaster21 (11448 posts) - - Show Bio

@chibio: thor is worrthy but i see what u mean about spider man

#11 Posted by Chibio (973 posts) - - Show Bio

I see your points guys. They make a lot of sense. Thanks for that.

But I still have to wonder. If Thor is worthy for Asgardian reasons, then why was Captain America worthy? I wouldn't really say that he is just like Thor. Additionally to that (and this may now be non-sense) in the Thor movie Thor was not able to lift the hammer, until he decided to actually sacrifice himself for his friends. He was an Asgardian. He was a warrior, yet he wasn't worthy.
Or was that exclusively for the movie and does not share a lot of context with the comic Thor? I'm not that familiar with Thors adventures.

#12 Posted by CrouchingTiger (148 posts) - - Show Bio

While Thor and Cap are different in a lot of ways, two different characters, would you not agree that they both share many "worthy" qualities?

#13 Edited by Havenless (1652 posts) - - Show Bio

@chibio said:

The only well known character in Marvel comics, who is worthy of wielding Mjolnir is Peter Parker aka Spider-Man, in my honest opinion. I feel that Peter Parker went through so much depressive moments and always came out of top. Not because he is supposed to be the all-american superhero, or a very powerful Alien from some weird dimension, but simply because he is an amazing guy, who is always looking forward to the next day, no matter how dark it gets and how much **** he gets from certain characters and since we're talking about Spider-Man, it's basically all the people in New York, who gave him shit on a daily basis.

Then you do not understand what being worthy means. Spider-Man is one of the most UNworthy heroes Marvel has. What makes him interesting is that he screws up ALL the time, but he keeps going despite it.

1. It's his fault Aunt May was shot.

2. To rectify Aunt May's death, he made a pact with Mephisto. Thor would have NEVER made a deal with a devil character to correct his own mistakes. That is extraordinarily unworthy.

3. Spider-Man unintentionally killed Gwen Stacy by breaking her neck.

4. Venom was created because of Spider-Man's poor disposal of the alien symbiote. Put Carnage, Scream, Agony, etc on that list as well. Countless people died thereafter.

5. Spider-Man's Uncle, the entire point of his great responsibility, was killed because of his selfishness and apathy.

6. And the biggest one for me: Countless times a major threat will happen, and Spider-Man's reaction would be, "This is way over my head, better let the Avengers handle it." Could you EVER see Thor or Captain America saying, "My duty is trumped by self-doubt, I'm taking the day off."

It sounds like I'm harking on Spider-Man, and I'm not. He is one of my alltime favorite characters. But these are both examples of things that make him extraordinarily interesting... and extraordinarily flawed.

#14 Edited by Chibio (973 posts) - - Show Bio

@havenless One could say that Captain America killed quite some people during his World War 2 times. He took lives, yet he was able to wield Mjolnir. Screwing up and affecting the lives of others shouldn't be as dramatic as picking up a pistol and shooting a Nazi in the face, or leading a child into war.

Also, Spider-Man sacrificed his relationship with M.J. and even his potential child (which he was not aware of), but he did it in order to make things right. That shows how far he was willing to go to make things right. What does Thor do? He punches Kid Loki in the face!

#15 Posted by Wolverine08 (48198 posts) - - Show Bio

@chibio:

Cap is worthy to wield Mjnoir because he has a warrior's mentality like the Asgardians. He is willing to fight and kill to preserve what he considers good. A quality Asgardians highly respect. While Peter is a good guy, he is no way, shape, or form a warrior. He won't kill and really doesn't have a warriors mentality. Is Peter a good guy? Yes. A good warrior? No.

#16 Posted by comicace3 (8147 posts) - - Show Bio

@chibio:

Cap is worthy to wield Mjnoir because he has a warrior's mentality like the Asgardians. He is willing to fight and kill to preserve what he considers good. A quality Asgardians highly respect. While Peter is a good guy, he is no way, shape, or form a warrior. He won't kill and really doesn't have a warriors mentality. Is Peter a good guy? Yes. A good warrior? No.

This

#17 Edited by Chibio (973 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicace3@wolverine08 So that means that they took a different path in the movie, since there it was not about being a brave warrior, who kills all day long, but more about being noble, caring about others and making sacrifices for them? Yeah, I can see that being the case. Especially, when I take into consideration what they did to the Kick-Ass movie. Brilliant comic, terribly hollywooded movie.

But I'm still not fine with the comic approach. Judging by that logic much more characters would be able to lift Mjolnir, since many more have some kind of a warrior mentality, or hell even spirit.

#18 Posted by Wolverine08 (48198 posts) - - Show Bio

@chibio:

Along with the warriors spirit you need morals. For example, Wolverine is 100% a warrior, but is very morally flawed and thus cannot pick up Mjnoir.

#19 Posted by comicace3 (8147 posts) - - Show Bio

@chibio said:

@comicace3@wolverine08 So that means that they took a different path in the movie, since there it was not about being a brave warrior, who kills all day long, but more about being noble, caring about others and making sacrifices for them? Yeah, I can see that being the case. Especially, when I take into consideration what they did to the Kick-Ass movie. Brilliant comic, terribly hollywooded movie.

But I'm still not fine with the comic approach. Judging by that logic much more characters would be able to lift Mjolnir, since many more have some kind of a warrior mentality, or hell even spirit.

You got it.

#20 Edited by Z3RO180 (7774 posts) - - Show Bio

This just feels like a I love spiderman thread