Is there room for more Lantern Corps?

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

Poll Is there room for more Lantern Corps? (50 votes)

Yes, I think it's possible 20%
Maybe, if it's done right 24%
No, it's fine how it is 30%
No, there's too many Corps to begin with 26%

What are your guys thoughts?

• 
Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Not really. There isn't much more emotions they can use. They've pretty much covered all the basic ones.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By dondave

Bring back the Blue Lanterns and forget any new ones

jwwprod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No not really.

There's not really any room left for more Lantern Corpses if you ask me and even if there is more room I'm fine with just nine Lantern Corpses.

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

any missing colors from the rainbow?? if not, stay the course...

of course there is many colored....(like Sauron the many colored)

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They've pretty much covered the entire visible light spectrum. (Even though indigo was only added for various unscientific reasons, IIRC) They've also covered the emotions pretty thoroughly. But I voted "Maybe if it's done right." I'm really up for anything if it's written well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Kill em all and leave Kyle Rayner.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

They are gonna be running out of colors in the craybox soon if they do whats next sky blue lanterns

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

No, there's too many Corps to begin with

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The colours will be weird, but there's still plenty of emotions left.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

No.

BrokenSpear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mitran said:

Yes, we need moar lantern corps. Grey, silver and gold, and turquoise, lime, magenta, and brown. And we need a "Sad" Corps,and a "Happy" Corps, and an "Apathetic" Corps. There's totally room for more.

I loled at the apathetic corp, i can see it now... their strength comes from their inaction

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What about "Lust"?...

Too edgy?

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Extremis

@dabee said:

They've pretty much covered the entire visible light spectrum. (Even though indigo was only added for various unscientific reasons, IIRC) They've also covered the emotions pretty thoroughly. But I voted "Maybe if it's done right." I'm really up for anything if it's written well.

This is where I'm at too. I don't really see what they could add (right now). But I don't want to be close minded to changes, especially if it adds positively to the story.

Personally, I think it's inevitable that ones will be destroyed for time and probably make a return. But if they do add any I don't think it would be anytime soon. Johns' set up so many avenues for writers to explore with the existing Corps that there's really plenty of stories to mine for many years without even having to add more.

I honestly think there's decades of stories waiting to be told with the current status quo, all thanks to Geoff Johns masterful mythology building.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

There is several more that could be done, as for room id have to say no. The current ones arent getting much spotlight as it is.. Except for Green, Red and Larfleeze.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No more corps. I like the idea of all the corps but I miss when GL's were Earthbound too.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not too many can be done

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@extremis said:

What about "Lust"?...

Too edgy?

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

....why are you all looking at me funny?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

If done right, but most likely not.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Extremis

@bruxae: yeah but that's also because some of them by nature aren't interesting enough to carry their own book. Some things are best in small doses. For instance I dig Blue Lanterns, but you can't have a whole book of Lanterns wishing for things to turn out good and/or showing up to basically charge the more beastly GLs for all the action. The concept of the BLs is cool but all of a sudden it's not fun anymore when they're sitting around on the hands talking about hope and stuff.

The idea of these other corps only works in support of the GL mythology. Many of them don't really stand up on their own and they're not supposed to. So, in short, that's not a fair enough reason not to have more simply because they can't all be front and center. They're not supposed to be in most cases.

Also it's not like those ther Corps aren't important or get no play, they are served up generously in all the GL titles. Especially Star Sapphires lately. V-Ditti looks to be making them an integral part of his run.

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mitran said:

Yes, we need moar lantern corps. Grey, silver and gold, and turquoise, lime, magenta, and brown. And we need a "Sad" Corps,and a "Happy" Corps, and an "Apathetic" Corps. There's totally room for more.

I loled at the apathetic corp, i can see it now... their strength comes from their inaction

I voted no since I thought there were already too many corps. Then, I saw Apathetic Corps... and now I totally want that book to be made!!! We need to figure out an oath for them, though...

BrokenSpear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BrokenSpear

@alak said:
@brokenspear said:

@mitran said:

I voted no since I thought there were already too many corps. Then, I saw Apathetic Corps... and now I totally want that book to be made!!! We need to figure out an oath for them, though...

Grey lantern corp

Emotion: Apathy

In times of most uncertain need

Our corp shall then live by this creed

When things are good or s#!t just sucks

Beware those that don't give a f*@&

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'd like to see the spectrum reconfigured. Crushed into one light then redistributed. It'd have to include green/will of course (and probably yellow/fear and pink/love) but it would allow them to vary things a bit more and clean up some of the weird choices like "empathy". Even "will" isn't really an emotion.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg: true but that's why it's the neutral color. It's not as swayed or corrupted like the other emotions. Stuff like Fear and Love are more unstable.

But yeah it's not perfect, but Johns did a good job of making sense of it.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis said:

@fodigg: true but that's why it's the neutral color. It's not as swayed or corrupted like the other emotions. Stuff like Fear and Love are more unstable.

I think it was brilliant in that it finally explained the yellow ring and was able to work in the Star Sapphires as well. I just think he could have chosen less problematic "emotions" for some of them, or reframed the spectrum as something other than "emotional". I'm not saying Johns did a bad job—I think it's a sensible evolution of the mythos and one of his greatest achievements—I just think it still has room for refinement.

Some of the (minor) issues I have with it:

• Life, death, will, avarice, and compassion are not emotions
  • Yellow lanterns don't channel or experience their "emotion", they cause it in others (they are the only exception like this)
  • Will does not really imply an absence of emotion to me, which is how Johns says it fits in (although it makes sense that intergalactic cops should be held to a standard of unemotional impartiality)
  • Hope seems to have arbitrary powers related to green lanterns

I think instead of "emotions" it should just be a straight up pantheon focused on the spectrum entities. (I mean, when you look at how they're describes as "avatars of" or "embodiments of" it's pretty close to the made up pantheons in D&D manuals.) That's why I like the idea of the current storyline ending with the death of old entities and a rebirth of a new pantheon. This would allow each color/entity to represent more than one concept while still holding to a core theme.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Extremis

@fodigg: It doesn't allow them to represent more then one concept, though. The old lightsmiths tapped into the same emotions. Resolve is the same as will. Fury is the same as rage. Etc., etc.

And a couple points I wish to make:

1. Yes will is not an emotion, but as I said it makes a bit of sense with where it lies in the spectrum when you consider it is the neutral entity in the spectrum. Emotions are nothing if not the will to act on them or in spite of them.

2. Life and death aren't emotions but as we already know, white light is made up of every color in the spectrum. Life is EVERY emotion together. Life is the existence of all these things within us. It's things like that, that Johns added, that really click with this mythology and have it make sense from a physical standpoint as well considering white light is made up of the rainbow. It also makes sense as once Kyle mastered all the emotions in the spectrum, he became a white lantern. And black is the absence of color, hence "death", which is the absence of light, which is the absence of life. White and Black Lanterns aren't supposed to represent one specific emotion like all the color lanterns are, so you're off on that one.

3. And you've never felt greedy or compassionate? Of course theyre emotions.

4. Why is Blue's powers related Green arbitrary? Don't you remeber all this being explained? Hope feeds will power, this is true in real life. If one is positive in their mentality, it obviously helps them to overcome their fear and exert willful action. So it's not arbitrary, it makes perfect sense why BLs would help GLs.

5. And sinestro Corps does not always seem to feel fear, but they are driven by it. They represent fear and are prone to act based on the principles of that emotion. They instill fear. No one said they have to be hiding in the corner to represent fear. Fear is always front and center in your face. People like Hitler, for instance, represent fear as they prey on it and use to control. Same with Sinestro. That's why the Yellow Lanterns are the way that they are. Not sure why you take issue with that one either.

You seem, to me anyway, to take issue with this stuff because it doesn't perfectly add up. But guess what, it never will. You have to accept that ANY fictional mythology requires suspension of disbelief on part of the reader. It's not real. But that's why we like this stuff. And I applaud Johns for rooting a fictional world in real things like color psychology and the emotional spectrum, not to mention the physical properties of light. It's a damn clever way to make sense of the Green Lantern and he's expanded the mythology to a level where we have decades of stories to mine from this.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis said:

@fodigg: It doesn't allow them to represent more then one concept, though. The old lightsmiths tapped into the same emotions. Resolve is the same as will. Fury is the same as rage. Etc., etc.

And a couple points I wish to make:

1. Yes will is not an emotion, but as I said it makes a bit of sense with where it lies in the spectrum when you consider it is the neutral entity in the spectrum. Emotions are nothing if not the will to act on them or in spite of them.

2. Life and death aren't emotions but as we already know, white light is made up of every color in the spectrum. Life is EVERY emotion together. Life is the existence of all these things within us. It's things like that, that Johns added, that really click with this mythology and have it make sense from a physical standpoint as well considering white light is made up of the rainbow. It also makes sense as once Kyle mastered all the emotions in the spectrum, he became a white lantern. And black is the absence of color, hence "death", which is the absence of light, which is the absence of life. White and Black Lanterns aren't supposed to represent one specific emotion like all the color lanterns are, so you're off on that one.

3. And you've never felt greedy or compassionate? Of course theyre emotions.

I think we've yet to have it revealed if the lightsmiths had the same entities or not.

Some responses, splitting the last into two points:

1. I agree, I just think there should be a better way to massage that into the lore and the expectations set by the phrase "emotional spectrum" doesn't jive for me.
  2. I think that whole thing is just stupid. I wasn't a fan of Blackest Night or Brightest Day though. I think Nekron and Black Hand could have been villains without shoe horning white and black into the spectrum.
  3. Avarice/greed isn't an emotion, although it certain ties into some emotions. I might say I feel jealous but I'd never say I feel greedy. I think avarice describes behavior, not emotion.
  4. For compassion, people do say that they "feel compassion" in the same vein as sympathy, so I should retract that. That's an emotion, sure. However—and I'm not trying to move the goalposts or anything; this just occurred to me now—I don't really see compassion in that sense among the Indigo Tribe. I see general "empathy" powers and bizarre mercy killings. Then the backstory seems to be more about "redemption" than anything else. I get that if we're going to accept will as "neutral emotional state" it can't be that much further to accept an "empathized emotional state" but I don't see how that equates to compassion.

Again, these are nit picks and I get that when Johns had to decide between incorporating as many elements of previous GL history or having a lock-solid spectrum explanation he probably leaned toward the former for narrative reasons. But if they do kill off and reboot the entities/spectrum, I think there's an opportunity to conceptually tidy it up a bit.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

They've got all the main colors and emotions covered, so it think it would be dumb.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Extremis

@fodigg: hey you should check out my post again because I editted it before you responded (I edit a lot sometimes haha)

but I can't really argue your points as it just pertains to personally taste at this point. But as I said, you can't really expect everything to add up in ANY mythology. They're not real lol. There's always going to be at least SOME inconsistencies in a universe as expansive as the GL Universe. And to be honest I don't think these things are inconsistencies. It just depends on how nitpicky you are about what constitutes as an emotion :p

And no, I disagree about the lightsmiths. it's all but obvious at this point that the lightsmiths represent the same emotions. Check out issue 23.1 again dude.

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

I GOT IT>...... an Entire Lantern Corps Based on Alan Scotts powers......

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg:

I don't really see compassion in that sense among the Indigo Tribe. I see general "empathy" powers

Dude, you're being nitpicky here. Empathy and compassion are basically the same thing. And I submit as evidence, the Empathy lightsmiths. They are the comparable group to the indigo tribe.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DEGRAAF

I think they could come up with other corps with other colors but they would probably have to be based off of something other then emotion

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg said:

@extremis said:

I think it was brilliant in that it finally explained the yellow ring and was able to work in the Star Sapphires as well. I just think he could have chosen less problematic "emotions" for some of them, or reframed the spectrum as something other than "emotional". I'm not saying Johns did a bad job—I think it's a sensible evolution of the mythos and one of his greatest achievements—I just think it still has room for refinement.

• Yellow lanterns don't channel or experience their "emotion", they cause it in others (they are the only exception like this)
  • Will does not really imply an absence of emotion to me, which is how Johns says it fits in (although it makes sense that intergalactic cops should be held to a standard of unemotional impartiality)

I think instead of "emotions" it should just be a straight up pantheon focused on the spectrum entities. (I mean, when you look at how they're describes as "avatars of" or "embodiments of" it's pretty close to the made up pantheons in D&D manuals.) That's why I like the idea of the current storyline ending with the death of old entities and a rebirth of a new pantheon. This would allow each color/entity to represent more than one concept while still holding to a core theme.

Blue is attached to Green bc you can only do so much with hope if you dont have to will to fix the issue.

Are they doing a rebirth of the avatars? I thought the avatars were getting sick from over use of the emotional spectrum (which as of recently directly contradicts the whole "the corps is powered by the will power of every living being in the universe" explanation)

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@degraaf: I don't think it contradicts it, so much it surmises theres a limit to the amount of energy that exists in the universe. It's an interestingly subtle and timely political commentary as well.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By fodigg

@extremis said:

@fodigg: hey you should check out my post again because I editted it before you responded (I edit a lot sometimes haha)

Ha! No I stealth edit myself. Let's see what I missed.

4. Why is Blue's powers related Green arbitrary? Don't you remeber all this being explained? Hope feeds will power, this is true in real life. If one is positive in their mentality, it obviously helps them to overcome their fear and exert willful action. So it's not arbitrary, it makes perfect sense why BLs would help GLs.

5. And sinestro Corps does not always seem to feel fear, but they are driven by it. They represent fear and are prone to act based on the principles of that emotion. They instill fear. No one said they have to be hiding in the corner to represent fear. Fear is always front and center in your face. People like Hitler, for instance, represent fear as they prey on it and use to control. Same with Sinestro. That's why the Yellow Lanterns are the way that they are. Not sure why you take issue with that one either.

Using new numbering:

4) Hope feeds willpower yes, but "willpower" is being defined as "lack of emotion" or something and then that doesn't make as much sense and aaargh this is why I think it could be better.

5) Every other spectrum experiences or channels their emotion to use it, except fear. It just seems odd. Granted, the yellow ring existed before the proposal so I'm not sure what you can do about it.

You seem, to me anyway, to take issue with this stuff because it doesn't perfectly add up. But guess what, it never will. You have to accept that ANY fictional mythology requires suspension of disbelief on part of the reader. It's not real. But that's why we like this stuff. And I applaud Johns for rooting a fictional world in real things like color psychology and the emotional spectrum, not to mention the physical properties of light. It's a damn clever way to make sense of the Green Lantern and he's expanded the mythology to a level where we have decades of stories to mine from this.

Dude, you're being nitpicky here. Empathy and compassion are basically the same thing. And I submit as evidence, the Empathy lightsmiths. They are the comparable group to the indigo tribe.

I know, I am being nit picky. Remember, I think the introduction of the spectrum corps is one of the best things to happen to GL in all of Johns' epic run—I love it—what I'm listing here are just the few things that don't line up very well for me. They may not bother me much in the grand scheme of things, they may not detract from my enjoyment of the series, but if they could be resolved I would certainly find that pleasing.

As for why I'm focused so much on the parsing of synonyms, I'm kind of a logophile. Comes from being a tech writer. No words mean the same thing; there's always a reason to use one synonym over another.

but I can't really argue your points as it just pertains to personally taste at this point. But as I said, you can't really expect everything to add up in ANY mythology. They're not real lol. There's always going to be at least SOME inconsistencies in a universe as expansive as the GL Universe. And to be honest I don't think these things are inconsistencies. It just depends on how nitpicky you are about what constitutes as an emotion :p

And no, I disagree about the lightsmiths. it's all but obvious at this point that the lightsmiths represent the same emotions. Check out issue 23.1 again dude.

The emotions may have been synonymous but did they explicitly show the entities? That's my question. I honestly don't remember if they appeared in the flashbacks.

@degraaf said:

@fodigg said:

@extremis said:

Blue is attached to Green bc you can only do so much with hope if you dont have to will to fix the issue.

Are they doing a rebirth of the avatars? I thought the avatars were getting sick from over use of the emotional spectrum (which as of recently directly contradicts the whole "the corps is powered by the will power of every living being in the universe" explanation)

That's nice metaphorically but I remember at the time of that revelation it seemed so convenient that to me it felt more like deus ex lazy writing.

No idea if they're actually doing a rebirth of the avatars. When they were shown to get sick and disappear, I kind of started down the train of thought "well, if they're sick they might die and if they die would they come back the same?"

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

I love the concept of Lantern Corps, and I would love for more of them for some more obscure colors. Throw in emotions like Lust or Vengeance. But it matters not. FEAR SHALL DOMINATE THEM ALL!!!

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!! KNEEL BEFORE THE MIGHT OF FEAR, COWARDS!!!!

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Extremis

@fodigg: well again, I don't think Will power is being defined as lack of emotion from what I understand. Its just a completely different thing. You wouldn't say gasoline is lack of a car, right? But like gas for a car, will power is needed to drive us. (Maybe not a great analogy lol). But anyway what I mean to say is You can't have human action without willpower. That's why it's in the middle of the spectrum.

And again, I don't see how you think Sinestro Corps doesn't draw power from their own fear. Fear guides there actions, so they obviously feel it. It's not cowering in the corner type of fear, it's more about this idea that fear can run people's lives if not faced head on. I guess we just disagree about how well that one is handled.

And no we don't know if its the same entities, like Ion and Parallax and stuff, but we know they draw from the same emotional spectrum so it's comparable regardless.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis said:

@fodigg: well again, I don't think Will power is being defined as lack of emotion from what I understand. Its just a completely different thing. You wouldn't say gasoline is lack of a car, right? But like gas for a car, will power is needed to drive us. (Maybe not a great analogy lol). But anyway what I mean to say is You can't have human action without willpower. That's why it's in the middle of the spectrum.

I'm not sure I understood the metaphor but, hey, it's a system of magic (i.e., not real) and it need only work at the caveat of the author so any explanation is as good as any other. I just would've preferred another one.

And again, I don't see how you think Sinestro Corps doesn't draw power from their own fear. Fear guides there actions, so they obviously feel it. It's not cowering in the corner type of fear, it's more about this idea that fear can run people's lives if not faced head on. I guess we just disagree about how well that one is handled.

Well, wasn't Scarecrow made into a yellow lantern? Isn't he physically unable to experience fear (except fear of Batman I guess)?

And no we don't know if its the same entities, like Ion and Parallax and stuff, but we know they draw from the same emotional spectrum so it's comparable regardless.

I really think the entities are the key to this storyline. I think that question will be significant. Just my personal hunch though.

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rainbow lanterns. For those who do absolutely nothing but look good. *grins*

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg: yeah I'm interested to see what's the story of the old light smiths and how they harnessed their power.

I'm really digging this lights out story :)