#1 Posted by Saint Powers (15 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like to form a network of Christian Superheroes or Superheroes that are Christian so, are you out there?

#2 Posted by pixelized (62883 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/comic_book_religion.html

#3 Edited by King Hyperion (3714 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/comic_book_religion.html"
YOU BEAT ME TO IT! AGGGHHH!!!
#4 Posted by defaultdefaultdefault (16905 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by King Saturn (225708 posts) - - Show Bio
Bibleman
#6 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio

illuminator

#7 Posted by Dane (10656 posts) - - Show Bio

Does it honestly matter what religion a character is?

#8 Posted by King Saturn (225708 posts) - - Show Bio
Dane said:
"Does it honestly matter what religion a character is?"
I dont think so...
#9 Posted by box turtle (1170 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes it does.  People like heroes that share their values--I, for example, don't like Ghost Rider, because it goes against my beleifs.  I like to read about people which care about the same things I do, because it is easier to relate to them.
Here are some known Christian Superheroes:
Icarus (killed), Nightcrawler, Daredevil.

#10 Posted by Dark King (3727 posts) - - Show Bio

daredevil is catholic by the way

#11 Posted by Mar-Vell Liberation Front (310 posts) - - Show Bio

I always felt that by definiton the 8 pointed star as on Mar-Vell's chest was Christian, but I try and seperate religion from comic books.

#12 Posted by ARMIV (3876 posts) - - Show Bio

The Spectre could be considered Christian.

#13 Posted by King Saturn (225708 posts) - - Show Bio
@ARMIV said:
" The Spectre could be considered Christian. "
Hmmm... sort of I guess

I mean in essence The Spectre is the very Celestial Being who often works on behalf of Jehovah... but technically that would mean that we consider Angels as Christians as well... but since both The Spectre and Angels have actually seen God and physically interacted with him to the point that faith is not required... can we really consider them Christian ? Or merely Celestials Workers of The Lord ?
#14 Posted by TruePwnge (2729 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.comicbookreligion.com/char?ID=12&The_Hulk_Bruce_Banner

#15 Posted by Mar-Vell Liberation Front (310 posts) - - Show Bio

To add to my previous, the symbol itself is an age old Christian symbol meaning rejuvenation or rebirth, and not that the character judges or tells anyone what to believe, just that in many ways the character chooses to attempt to be "Christ-Like" more than "Christian" per se, meaning the heroism is by definition selflessness.

You believe what you want, I will to.

I think religion and comic books should not be mixed, even as a Christian. That's my personal business, not anyone else's.

I think we should all strive to be heros in whatever little way we can.

#16 Posted by Aronmorales (9583 posts) - - Show Bio

Aren't Cap and Superman Christian (or something close?)

Now, when you ask about Christian heroes I assume you're talking about the Comic vine members?

#17 Posted by Mar-Vell Liberation Front (310 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe, if I am not mistaken that Siegel and Shucster's "Man of Tommorow" the Superman, was to combat the nazi forces and stand for for what is right. I believe they were Jewish, as if it matters. What matters is they created a character that stood for what is right.

Do you see how mixing religion with superheros talk can be a bad thing? Because some people have mixed ideas about what people are based on bad examples.

Captain America, Superman, and Captain Mar-Vell are all definitively heros.

(I'm assuming you mean the heros, fictionally, not myself. Although if you must know, I am Christian, not necessarily a good one, but not a fake one)

Comic Book Talk & Religion Talk = Problems.

Let's just try and appreciate each other for who we are, and more importantly, the heros we admire, both fictional and actual.

Kindest Regards*

p.s. Very Thought provoking, you are, my friend... ;)

#18 Posted by ARMIV (3876 posts) - - Show Bio

What was mentioned above about faith (I hate the word "religion") and comics is true,but I think the prevention of their mingling is almost impossible,seeing as how you need heroes with their beliefs and standards to be able to combat someone and be justified over it.

But I do see how it should be avoided when you create/read about characters who come from realms/planets like Asgard or something of that sort. Just too confusing.

#19 Posted by Akwa (4821 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor in the 1602 Universe was Christian. His faith was kind of shattered however when he discovered he was a Pagan God.

#20 Posted by Vance Astro (91555 posts) - - Show Bio

God.

#21 Posted by ARMIV (3876 posts) - - Show Bio
@Akwa said:
" Thor in the 1602 Universe was Christian. His faith was kind of shattered however when he discovered he was a Pagan God. "

Boy that'd be rough.
#22 Edited by Akwa (4821 posts) - - Show Bio
@ARMIV said:
"@Akwa said:
" Thor in the 1602 Universe was Christian. His faith was kind of shattered however when he discovered he was a Pagan God. "
Boy that'd be rough."

Yep. He didn't take it very well. Not well at all. It was kind of amusing though.
#23 Posted by War Killer (20344 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Ultimate Captain America a Christian? I know he believe's in God, but what religion is he?

#24 Posted by ARMIV (3876 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer: I heard somewhere that the regular Captain America was Methodist,so maybe it applies to the Ultimate one...
Or was he Baptist...no,Spiderman was Baptist...
#25 Posted by War Killer (20344 posts) - - Show Bio
@ARMIV said:
"@War Killer: I heard somewhere that the regular Captain America was Methodist,so maybe it applies to the Ultimate one...Or was he Baptist...no,Spiderman was Baptist..."
I was wondering, I saw a pic of him in church praying but I couldn't tell what church it was
#26 Posted by Dark King (3727 posts) - - Show Bio

blue devil was in church praying even though he was smoking and burning, i dont know if that counts. :)

#27 Posted by War Killer (20344 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah but Cap was dealing with how the world my be destoryed by Ultimate Galactus, and he was really trying ask himself some deep questions, like where he's talking to Nick Fury and he starts to doubt himself,  thinking he wasn't a Super-Soldier because he couldn't beat Glacatus liek all of his other foes, I really liked this in the story, you don't see it that often (or at lest I don't) in comics

#28 Posted by Strafe Prower (11893 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Lightning

#29 Posted by Akwa (4821 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer said:
"Yeah but Cap was dealing with how the world my be destoryed by Ultimate Galactus, and he was really trying ask himself some deep questions, like where he's talking to Nick Fury and he starts to doubt himself,  thinking he wasn't a Super-Soldier because he couldn't beat Glacatus liek all of his other foes, I really liked this in the story, you don't see it that often (or at lest I don't) in comics "

Captain America couldn't beat Galactus? I am shocked.
#30 Posted by Aronmorales (9583 posts) - - Show Bio

Well on the topic of heroes and religion, I always saw/see heroes and a (somewhat) physical interpretation of what a person's or society's
religious belief(s) is/are.

Now I bring this up because of the way Superman and Captain America are (or at least how they should be) characteristically, they seem pretty Christian to me.

#31 Edited by Dark King (3727 posts) - - Show Bio

what is characterstic of a christian?  i mean a hero can be a hero and his behavior does not necessarily means it comes from christian roots. i mean cap and supes have christian beliefs. but a hero just as similar as them does not mean they are christian or their motivation is based on that religion it could be based as bhuddist, tao or none at all maybe a sense of honor.

look at captain marvelor bats their is nothing christian about them but they are opposite reflections of cap and supes.

#32 Posted by Rothschild (1285 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasnt Joseph(Magneto) a Christian?

#33 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rothschild said:
"

Wasnt Joseph(Magneto) a Christian?

"
Jewish
#34 Posted by Aronmorales (9583 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dark King said:
" what is characterstic of a christian?  i mean a hero can be a hero and his behavior does not necessarily means it comes from christian roots. i mean cap and supes have christian beliefs. but a hero just as similar as them does not mean they are christian or their motivation is based on that religion it could be based as bhuddist, tao or none at all maybe a sense of honor.look at captain marvelor bats their is nothing christian about them but they are opposite reflections of cap and supes. "

Ya know, you're right. here I am paraphrasing without even checking the source material.

By the way, Magneto was/maybe still is Jewish.
#35 Posted by sifsclub (458 posts) - - Show Bio

nightcrawler, tai.

#36 Posted by Rothschild (1285 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by DonavanWolfMaster (132 posts) - - Show Bio
@box turtle said:
"Yes it does.  People like heroes that share their values--I, for example, don't like Ghost Rider, because it goes against my beleifs.  I like to read about people which care about the same things I do, because it is easier to relate to them.Here are some known Christian Superheroes:Icarus (killed), Nightcrawler, Daredevil. "

there is nothing wrong with making dark deals.
murder. punishment or anything of the like. if its for such noble causes.
maybe even if not so. if you think youre right. and truly believe. then maybe you are.
but it really does matter...
#38 Posted by War Killer (20344 posts) - - Show Bio
@Akwa said:
"@War Killer said:
"Yeah but Cap was dealing with how the world my be destoryed by Ultimate Galactus, and he was really trying ask himself some deep questions, like where he's talking to Nick Fury and he starts to doubt himself,  thinking he wasn't a Super-Soldier because he couldn't beat Glacatus liek all of his other foes, I really liked this in the story, you don't see it that often (or at lest I don't) in comics "
Captain America couldn't beat Galactus? I am shocked. "
It was Ultimate Galactue, you know the version where it's a buch of robots, and not just one big dude that you can knock over
#39 Posted by Akwa (4821 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer said:
"@Akwa said:
"@War Killer said:
It was Ultimate Galactue, you know the version where it's a buch of robots, and not just one big dude that you can knock over"

Whoops. Still he shouldn't beat himself up about not being able to fight off a planet destroying army of robots.
#40 Posted by War Killer (20344 posts) - - Show Bio
@Akwa said:
"@War Killer said:
"@Akwa said:
"@War Killer said:
It was Ultimate Galactue, you know the version where it's a buch of robots, and not just one big dude that you can knock over"
Whoops. Still he shouldn't beat himself up about not being able to fight off a planet destroying army of robots. "
What made him upset was what a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent said to Cap, and it really tested Steve's Beliefs and Glacatus wansn;t helping Steve feel any better 
#41 Posted by Mar-Vell Liberation Front (310 posts) - - Show Bio

If I'm not mistaken Superman, at least the original interpretation by the creators was to be Jewish, whereas Mar-Vell comics don't really touch on religion in the literal sense, but the implication is Christian...who cares, as long as their heros?

#42 Posted by Mar-Vell Liberation Front (310 posts) - - Show Bio

We're all on the same side, no?

#43 Posted by braddock (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Huntress?

#44 Posted by Calvin (3479 posts) - - Show Bio
@Akwa said:
"Thor in the 1602 Universe was Christian. His faith was kind of shattered however when he discovered he was a Pagan God. "

I see how that can be confusing
#45 Posted by speedlgt (2109 posts) - - Show Bio

batman is Catholic........and BTW to all who dont know a Catholic is a christian.......

its my own belief that a TON of superheroes are Christians any time i read a book that has overtones of a relying on a greater power or some type of background force at at work I know theres God there.

#46 Posted by Dark King (3727 posts) - - Show Bio
@speedlgt said:
" batman is Catholic........and BTW to all who dont know a Catholic is a christian.......its my own belief that a TON of superheroes are Christians any time i read a book that has overtones of a relying on a greater power or some type of background force at at work I know theres God there. "
i remember bats saying he doesnt believe in god. so that would make him athiest.
#47 Posted by box turtle (1170 posts) - - Show Bio
@DonavanWolfMaster said:
"@box turtle said:
"Yes it does.  People like heroes that share their values--I, for example, don't like Ghost Rider, because it goes against my beleifs.  I like to read about people which care about the same things I do, because it is easier to relate to them.Here are some known Christian Superheroes:Icarus (killed), Nightcrawler, Daredevil. "
there is nothing wrong with making dark deals.murder. punishment or anything of the like. if its for such noble causes.maybe even if not so. if you think youre right. and truly believe. then maybe you are.but it really does matter... "

I'm sorry, but I personally believe that striking deals with demons will automatically make the demons start to control you.  So, if you believed what I believed, it would matter very much.  You say that if you truly believe whatever you're doing is right, its ok.  That is an idea which very little thought has been put into.  Stalin firmly believed his genocide was the right thing to do--but I don't think its justified. 
#48 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

Its weird I can name more Jewish superheroes than christian. Just seems there are fewer devout christian characters than Jewish. Though the only devout Catholic characters I can think of are Daredevil and Nightcrawler. There are probably more that I just can't think of.

#49 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio

did anyone mention the punisher? i know he was catholic before he went all vengeful.

#50 Posted by ARMIV (3876 posts) - - Show Bio
@castleking:  Knowing the Punisher,I never would've guessed...of course,not alot of people would imagine Frank Castle,family man,becoming the Punisher.