Is There A Double Standard For Batman On The Vine?

• 75 results
AquamanVsGoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AquamanVsGoku

When Batman beats a more powerful opponent with prep people on the Vine complain about him being OP, PIS, or a walking plot device. But I don't hear the same criticism for characters that have better prep feats like Reed Richards.

There are human characters that con Omniscient beings, steal powers from Omnipotent beings. But when Batman defeats a mid or high tier by exploiting a weakness he deduced, a lot of Viners start screaming out PIS or OP. But in the same breath, they will point out who is smarter than Batman.

It's funny I saw one post where they had a couple of prep masters but a couple of just had to point out that Batman was out of his league. I almost swore the battle was about who has the best prep not who has the worst.

It's only Batman that I have heard that stuff for, but he isn't even the best prep master in the comics.

Part 2: I also see stuff like "Batman has no business being on the JL and everyone is actually smarter than him." lol at that one. I have seen "Batman is the least relatable person in comics." I get he is supposed to have no powers. Obviously no comic character is 100% relatable in the comics. There will always be aspects that are exaggerate in fiction. Me personally, I see a man driven to achieve a goal. I only read part of the Damian Wayne story and I was honestly impressed by his drive and determination. That is something I can relate to.

I am not a Batman fan myself, I am pointing out what I see on the Vine all the time.

regiebravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because it's now "cool" to hate Batman.

AquamanVsGoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AquamanVsGoku

@regiebravo: I can see that people tend to either under or over estimate Batman. lol.....

Avatar image for sightlessreality
SightlessReality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's primarily due to "ahem" Batmans mixed character us.

AquamanVsGoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry, edited my post just a little bit. There is another part to it.

meaTman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By meaTman

@aquamanvsgoku:

Batman will never be as good a prepper as Reed Richards. Batman gets hated on a lot due to infinite Bat wanking. Example: Someone made a thread just the other day asking who would win in a fight between the Bat-family(Batman.Nightwing.Redhood,Batgirl) and Emma Frost with the Stepford cookoos. lol

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DBVSE7

It's not that it's PIS.. his incredible feats are just PI.

Batman is a plot character plain and simple. His most dangerous weapons are his writers. Batman is a character that can do incredible things without powers because he's just written that way. Prep, wits, and resources are the keys to Batmans door of triumph.

algorhythm511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, I have seen it. I think prep battles have became pointless on the Vine. With any popular character there are going to be haters. I have seen double standards and lowballing applied to other characters on the Vine, too (cough...cough...Goku). So, it's not just Batman.

As for your second part, look at the paragraph above. Of course he belongs on the JL, intelligence is relative and I could name 100 things Batman can do better and 100 things another JL member could do better. His most important contributions are his deductive (notice I didn't saw detective) and his tactical knowledge. In terms of tactics for a small team, this is where he excels.

Good point on the relatibility part..btw

AquamanVsGoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatman said:

@aquamanvsgoku:

Batman will never be as good a prepper as Reed Richards. Batman gets ragged on a lot due to infinite Bat wanking. Example: Someone made a thread just the other day asking who would win in a fight between the Bat-family(Batman.Nightwing.Redhood,Batgirl) and Emma Frost with the Stepford cookoos. lol

I agree that Reed is the better scientist. I think a lot of noobs don't know Batman's limits. Is that all it is? hmm...

AquamanVsGoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbvse7: Would you say other human characters like John Constantine or Black Panther are plot characters?

SinnTek1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because it's now "cool" to hate Batman.

INB4 Fanboy rush.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AquamanVsGoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@algorhythm511: I can see the dislike of a popular character.

As for the JL thing....interesting point.

I think Batman has skills that can be applied to big or small problems. He can take his detective skills and use them to deduce a weakness in a stronger character. All characters have their high and low showings.

AquamanVsGoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbvse7 said:

@aquamanvsgoku: compared to Batman, no.

Thanks for the response. That is the part wrapping my head around, because, for example, John Constantine outsmarted a being who sees all and knows all from the beginning of time to the end of time and has essentially infinite power. I can't see how that isn't plot.

I am not trying to argue. I am legitimately trying to get an understanding.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

Probably because Reed primarily deals with nigh omnipotent beings while Batman doesn't. People get upset when Batman struggles with Riddler and ClayFace but then beats the. Justice League. It'd be like Reed beating a Celestial then struggling with The Owl. Also, we're all nerds here with allegiances, however petty they may be. A Flash fan gets excited when it's said Flash can easily think and move faster than light, a Thor fan gets excited when they see him blow up a planet, a batman fan gets excited when he does some awesome martial arts feat. So imagine being a Flash fan that sees Flash react in a femtosecond only to later on see batman build a suit that can react to Flash fast enough. It's the same feeling Batman fans had when. Hal Jordan punched him. Hal should never have been able to land that punch without help from the ring....yeah

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whenever there is something popular there is going to be a group of hipsters that gets salty at the mere mention of this popular thing. Batman is the most popular character in comics right now, therefore he is always going to have a loud group of haters. PIS refer's to a feat that is inconsistent with a characters history, considering how often Batman is put into situations with top tier villains, his high level feats can no longer be attributed to PIS.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aquamanvsgoku: In my defense I don't know much about Constantine. So I'm really speaking for BP here.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman gets overrated which makes others bring the character down. And on top of that he gets a lot of rules in his favor against a top tier guy who would still smash him

algorhythm511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By algorhythm511

@kgb725 said:

Batman gets overrated which makes others bring the character down. And on top of that he gets a lot of rules in his favor against a top tier guy who would still smash him

This is one of the reasons I don't like prep battles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're just mad because batman is the best.

algorhythm511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbvse7 said:

@aquamanvsgoku: In my defense I don't know much about Constantine. So I'm really speaking for BP here.

I can pick up the tab on Constantine here. John didn't 'outsmart' God. Without getting into philosophy and theology, God already knew that John would become the Lord of Hell if he was sent there. It was in God's plan all along and it is the nature of God to hear the petitions of his creation. Kind of like, what is the point in praying? God already knows what you need.

SuperAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because Batman is so unbelievable. He's able to match super powered people without super powers. He's able to take on Superman. He can outsmart everyone in Gotham. He's overpowered. And there is never really a believable explanation for it all.

If Batman were real. 1) He'd be shot to death the first time he tried to prevent a crime. And armor wouldn't help him, since bullet proof armor doesn't work very well, and his face is uncovered. 2) The batmobile would end up in a car accident, sooner or later, forcing Batman to exchange insurance information... So long secret identity. 3) The police would find the obvious entrance to the batcave, and arrest Batman. 4) The NSA would find the Batcomputer.

I could go on. He's such a Gary-Stu. Easily one of my most hated characters. The worst part is he takes away from the other characters in the Justice League just to show how awesome he is. Like Nightwing bragging about how he trained to take down the Justice League. There is no way ANY normal human, no matter how well trained, would ever stand a chance against the Justice League.

algorhythm511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because Batman is so unbelievable. He's able to match super powered people without super powers. He's able to take on Superman. He can outsmart everyone in Gotham. He's overpowered. And there is never really a believable explanation for it all.

Most of what you said could be said about Lex Luthor.

If Batman were real. 1) He'd be shot to death the first time he tried to prevent a crime. And armor wouldn't help him, since bullet proof armor doesn't work very well, and his face is uncovered. 2) The batmobile would end up in a car accident, sooner or later, forcing Batman to exchange insurance information... So long secret identity. 3) The police would find the obvious entrance to the batcave, and arrest Batman. 4) The NSA would find the Batcomputer.

The same could be said about most street levelers.

I could go on. He's such a Gary-Stu. Easily one of my most hated characters. The worst part is he takes away from the other characters in the Justice League just to show how awesome he is. Like Nightwing bragging about how he trained to take down the Justice League. There is no way ANY normal human, no matter how well trained, would ever stand a chance against the Justice League.

The same could be said about Lex also.

SuperAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SuperAdam

@algorhythm511 said:

@superadam said:

Most of what you said could be said about Lex Luthor.

The same could be said about most street levelers.

The same could be said about Lex also.

Lex Luthor never beats anyone, atleast not permanently. Lex almost always loses to Superman. And Lex isn't even as smart as Superman. He's basically the opposite of Batman, who almost always wins.

Besides that, Lex Luthor usually has a few million people working for him.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one hates Batman, they hate this things that have make him do.

Dont matter how out of character something can be, how senseless or just plain dumb, they make Batman wins.

Thats ok for Fan Fics, but when some one its paying this people i want something better.

Leatherface003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems interesting...After Superman it's back to Batman trashing threads...

No Caption Provided

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@jayc1324 said:

They're just mad because batman is the best.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33 the_stegman  Moderator
neras_a_renihw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. There's never a double standard. Batman has always been overrated. Plain and simple

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@dbvse7 said:

It's not that it's PIS.. his incredible feats are just PI.

Batman is a plot character plain and simple. His most dangerous weapons are his writers. Batman is a character that can do incredible things without powers because he's just written that way. Prep, wits, and resources are the keys to Batmans door of triumph.

Every character is a plot character.

Yeah and Clark Kent should have been detected by NASA when he was entering the Earth's atmosphere, the government should have picked him up and trained him to be their lackey. Even an idiot could recognize Clark Kent with that lame disguise,why does he even eat or sleep? Superman is just an overpowered Gary Stu who benches planets and then proceeds to get his ass handed by Prankster and Toyman while his greatest nemesis is just a bald guy in a suit. If he's super smart and super fast in addition to his other powers why is there a JL to even begin with? he makes everyone look bad.

I could go on.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New 52 is getting people in a mind set so they can be ready for BVS. It's all a conspiracy.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: That's not what I mean.. Superman doesn't need a plot device to beat Batman, but Batman does to beat characters like Superman.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jack Donaghy

@superadam said:

This post is incredibly stupid the whole "Batman would be shot and killed if he were real" argument can be made for any street level hero. Funny how people only bring it up for Batman and never other street level heroes like Dare Devil, Green Arrow, Hawkeye, etc.

Most heroes secret identities could be easily found out irl, singling out Batman makes no sense.

You give Lex a pass in your other post and say he never permanently beats anyone well of course he doesn't he's a villain. Last I checked their win/loss record isn't too good. It doesn't matter if Lex wins all the time or not the fact that he as a human can give Superman a hard time is proof you don't need powers to be a threat to a super human.

So you're just biased against Batman, you hate him for doing things tons of other characters do. That's the double standard.

Joe_Chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbvse7: I can see where your where your coming from with Batman being a plot character. But pretty much any human character or slightly human character is a plot character. Even superpowered heroes are plot characters. Plot saves every heroes butt and is a valuable tool that every heroe possess.

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By lxlGiftedlxl

Yes there is a huge double standard for Batman.

Kingthunder99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MySuperior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

double standards exist everywhere

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbvse7 said:

@entropy_aegis: That's not what I mean.. Superman doesn't need a plot device to beat Batman, but Batman does to beat characters like Superman.

Yes and Dr. Doom needs a plot device to beat or power jack people like the Beyonder. I don't see people complaining about Doom who is pretty much the villain version of Batman. He can beat people he has no business even fighting simply because the writers want him to. Yet there aren't multiple threads a day bashing Doom. This is the double standard we're talking about.

Avatar image for underdogsupporter
UnderdogSupporter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Batman definitely gets bashed a lot more than other characters who are more guilty of not being criticized. His supporters suffer much worse but the same can't be seen for supporters of other characters.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Just chatter and attempts at banter to knock a character down. Batman gets targeted, sure, just like most A-list characters. It's not hard to ignore the needless haters. They reveal themselves easily enough.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

Your favorite character deserves everything Batman does to them

It's accepting that little nugget of wisdom that grinds against the psyche, that's how you get posts like the ones here --- cognitive disarray

WELLDONE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman is a pseudo mary sue. Reed richards is wayyy smarter.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49  Edited By Superguy1591

@sog7dc said:

Probably because Reed primarily deals with nigh omnipotent beings while Batman doesn't. People get upset when Batman struggles with Riddler and ClayFace but then beats the. Justice League. It'd be like Reed beating a Celestial then struggling with The Owl. Also, we're all nerds here with allegiances, however petty they may be. A Flash fan gets excited when it's said Flash can easily think and move faster than light, a Thor fan gets excited when they see him blow up a planet, a batman fan gets excited when he does some awesome martial arts feat. So imagine being a Flash fan that sees Flash react in a femtosecond only to later on see batman build a suit that can react to Flash fast enough. It's the same feeling Batman fans had when. Hal Jordan punched him. Hal should never have been able to land that punch without help from the ring....yeah

Yep. They're the loudest people when Lex steals from Batman, but they just call you a hater when Batman beats the JL and you don't like it.

I'm always amused when Batman fans complain about other characters doing things to Batman that shouldn't be done. =D It's like they don't know what irony means.

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By nervmeister

Batman: humiliates god-like aliens, meta-humans and the like;.........Still has trouble with mental patients, burn victims, clowns, etc.