is there a contradiction in the star wars movies?

galaxy_buster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

hi guys i think i found a contradiction in the SW movies:

in episode 4 ben kenobi said:"The Jedi have been the guardians of the Republic for over a thousand generations"

but the prequels state that the republic is just 1000 years old

-- "we can not let one thousand years of democracy disappear"-- Bail Organa (swep3)

--There hasn't been a full-scale war since the formation of the Republic." ―Sio Bibble.(swep2)

--I will not let this Republic that has stood for a thousand years be split in two --palpatine(swep2)

i know that the Ruusan Reformation esplains this but you know................thats not part of the new canon

i think that george lucas didnt have planned any of this republic stuff in the original trilogy and this might explain it

but what is your opinion about this?

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By MakkyD

Leia also mentioned she remembered her mother, whom in the prequels died at childbirth. Just accept that George Lucas is a bad writer and you should sleep more soundly at night.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

A contradiction? A single one? That's all you found?

McHotcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Remember when Yoda was total pacifist who didn't believe in fighting?

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@maccyd said:

Leia also mentioned she remembered her mother, whom in the prequels died at childbirth. Just accept that George Lucas is a bad writer and you should sleep more soundly at night.

Force visions is an easy way to explain that one. Leia is a Jedi herself, after all.

Loading Video...

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@galaxy_buster: There are lots of contradictions in the movies..I can fire off a few right now.

1. Obi-wan states that he met Anakin during the Clone Wars in Episode 4.
  2. Obi-wan doesn't remember 3PO or R2 in Episode 4.
  3. Obi-wan says that Luke's Uncle Owen warned Anakin about following Kenobi into the war...but Anakin never even met Owen until long after he was apprenticed to Ben.
  4. Obi-wan says Yoda trained him...but his Master was Qui-Gon Jinn.

Obi-Wan can't claim "A certain point of view" for these. Most of them are bold faced lies or, at the very least, lies of omission.

But wait...there's more

1. Vader can feel how strong Luke is in the force from his Tie-fighter...but doesn't seem to pick up anything at all from Leia when he's in the same room with her multiple times.
  2. Uncle Owen doesn't remember 3PO or R2 either. Neither does Vader
  3. R2D2 Never received a mind wipe. He should have at least made an attempt to tell Luke his Father was Darth Vader
  4. In THe OT It is said that Vader hunted down and killed the Jedi. Order 66 should never have happened.
  5. Leia somehow remembers her mother...even though Padme died minutes after giving birth.
  6. R2D2 can fly in the Prequels...not in the OT.
  7. If Obi-Wan wanted to hide Luke from vader he really didn't do a great job. He left Luke with Anakin's Step Brother on the Planet he grew up on and even let him keep the name "Skywalker". At the very least he should have encouraged Owen to give Luke his Surname.

There are probably a lot more that I'm just not thinking of right now

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jaken7: Do you not have to be trained to experience them, visions from the past? Also, seems like a cop-out, sorta like in fantasy every contradiction is solved by magic.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#8 JediXMan  Moderator

i know that the Ruusan Reformation esplains this but you know................thats not part of the new canon

i think that george lucas didnt have planned any of this republic stuff in the original trilogy and this might explain it

but what is your opinion about this?

The Ruusan Reformation is canon. Darth Bane is canon (due to his appearance in TCW), and therefore the events involving his origin are canon. Bane only came about because of that war.

So it still works just fine. There are plotholes in Star Wars - that's not one of them.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JediXMan  Moderator

@galaxy_buster: There are lots of contradictions in the movies..I can fire off a few right now.

3. Obi-wan says that Luke's Uncle Owen warned Anakin about following Kenobi into the war...but Anakin never even met Owen until long after he was apprenticed to Ben.

1. No, it says he fought alongside his father during the Clone Wars, not that they met.

2. Obi-Wan didn't give a crap about droids. A droid is just a droid to him. It's not like they're unique models.

3. Eh.

4. Yoda trained all the Jedi as kids, at one point or another.

1. Vader can feel how strong Luke is in the force from his Tie-fighter...but doesn't seem to pick up anything at all from Leia when he's in the same room with her multiple times.
  3. R2D2 Never received a mind wipe. He should have at least made an attempt to tell Luke his Father was Darth Vader
  4. In THe OT It is said that Vader hunted down and killed the Jedi. Order 66 should never have happened.
  5. Leia somehow remembers her mother...even though Padme died minutes after giving birth.
  7. If Obi-Wan wanted to hide Luke from vader he really didn't do a great job. He left Luke with Anakin's Step Brother on the Planet he grew up on and even let him keep the name "Skywalker". At the very least he should have encouraged Owen to give Luke his Surname.

1. To be fair, Leia never exhibited much real Force prowess in the movies.

2. Again, not unique models.

3. He usually tried to keep a low profile. If memory serves, it's also implied that he had some blanks in his memory due to the damage he's sustained over the years.

4. Eh? He still hunted down and killed the Jedi.

5. Eh...

6. Again, damages... and GL just got caught up by CGI.

7. He kinda did do a good job, though, considering the fact that the Empire never found Luke. They only came to Tatooine because Leia wanted to give Obi-Wan a message (... so it's Obi-Wan's fault, I guess).

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Shawnbaby

@jedixman said:

@shawnbaby said:

1. No, it says he fought alongside his father during the Clone Wars, not that they met.

2. Obi-Wan didn't give a crap about droids. A droid is just a droid to him. It's not like they're unique models.

3. Eh.

4. Yoda trained all the Jedi as kids, at one point or another.

@shawnbaby said:

1. To be fair, Leia never exhibited much real Force prowess in the movies.

2. Again, not unique models.

3. He usually tried to keep a low profile. If memory serves, it's also implied that he had some blanks in his memory due to the damage he's sustained over the years.

4. Eh? He still hunted down and killed the Jedi.

5. Eh...

6. Again, damages... and GL just got caught up by CGI.

7. He kinda did do a good job, though, considering the fact that the Empire never found Luke. They only came to Tatooine because Leia wanted to give Obi-Wan a message (... so it's Obi-Wan's fault, I guess).

1) Obi-Wan specifically states that Owen was against Anakin Following him on a "A damn foolishly idealistic crusade". And that when he met Anakin he was already a great pilot.

2) 3PO's personality is one that stands out. And Obi-wan was fond of R2 in the prequels.

4) There are several statements throughout the movies that suggests a much deeper connection between Obi-Wan and Yoda than just "Yoda trained all the younglings at one point". And a lot of those statements don't mesh up with what happens in the prequels either. Yoda says he can't train Luke because he is angry and reckless and Obi-wan responds "Was I any different?". Which brings two things up

1. Obi-Wan was never shown to be particularly reckless....more of the opposite really.
  2. Yoda had a more personal hand in Obi-Wan's training than just the equivalent of a first grade teacher.

1) If Leia is so strong in the force her Midichlorians should have been high enough for Vader to sense regardless of her lack of prowess.

2) Again, 3PO would stick out in a person's mind. And that exact pairing of droids with the exact matching colour scheme should also trigger memories. As for Vader, He built 3PO and R2 was his personal Astromech droid.

3) It was only hinted at by 3PO...who had no idea of everything R2 Knew. Regardless, there was a lot

4) it would seem, according to official movie canon, that most of the Jedi were killed by Clone Troopers...not Vader.

6) Getting caught up in CGI is no excuse for bad storytelling. He shouldn't have done all that crap with R2.

7) No. Obi-Wan did a terrible Job. He just got lucky. Hiding Leia with Organa was smart. They took her to a different planet and changed her name. The Empire never found Luke because they never looked for him. If they had...they would have found him in 10 seconds. The Emperor after all knew Padme was pregnant...and, while he told Anakin that he murdered him in his rage, he really had no way of knowing exactly what happened to her.

The simple fact is GL screwed up when he wrote the Prequels. He either didn't remember or purposefully changed events to play out in a different way.

And it all could have been avoided if he weren't BatSh!tF&ckinCrazy

Like for example:

Loading Video...

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JediXMan  Moderator

1) Obi-Wan specifically states that Owen was against Anakin Following him on a "A damn foolishly idealistic crusade". And that when he met Anakin he was already a great pilot.

2) 3PO's personality is one that stands out. And Obi-wan was fond of R2 in the prequels.

4) There are several statements throughout the movies that suggests a much deeper connection between Obi-Wan and Yoda than just "Yoda trained all the younglings at one point". And a lot of those statements don't mesh up with what happens in the prequels either. Yoda says he can't train Luke because he is angry and reckless and Obi-wan responds "Was I any different?". Which brings two things up

1. Obi-Wan was never shown to be particularly reckless....more of the opposite really.
  2. Yoda had a more personal hand in Obi-Wan's training than just the equivalent of a first grade teacher.

1) If Leia is so strong in the force her Midichlorians should have been high enough for Vader to sense regardless of her lack of prowess.

2) Again, 3PO would stick out in a person's mind. And that exact pairing of droids with the exact matching colour scheme should also trigger memories. As for Vader, He built 3PO and R2 was his personal Astromech droid.

3) It was only hinted at by 3PO...who had no idea of everything R2 Knew. Regardless, there was a lot

4) it would seem, according to official movie canon, that most of the Jedi were killed by Clone Troopers...not Vader.

6) Getting caught up in CGI is no excuse for bad storytelling. He shouldn't have done all that crap with R2.

7) No. Obi-Wan did a terrible Job. He just got lucky. Hiding Leia with Organa was smart. They took her to a different planet and changed her name. The Empire never found Luke because they never looked for him. If they had...they would have found him in 10 seconds. The Emperor after all knew Padme was pregnant...and, while he told Anakin that he murdered him in his rage, he really had no way of knowing exactly what happened to her.

The simple fact is GL screwed up when he wrote the Prequels. He either didn't remember or purposefully changed events to play out in a different way.

Like for example:

1. I didn't say anything about the Owen part. And technically, the pilot thing was still true, due to the stupid pod racing scene (I still think they should have met as adults).

2. Eh, he still didn't care much for droids. Just because he knew one for a couple of years doesn't mean he'll remember that droid after twenty years.

4. He was shown to be somewhat reckless, due to his willingness to disregard the Order to train Anakin. He was also deemed somewhat reckless because of his association to Qui-Gon.

-

1. *shrug*
  2. There is a comic out there where he acknowledges 3PO as his creation on Bespin.
  3. It's still possible. If memory serves, they acknowledge that in future novels.
  4. Somewhat. But Vader had a personal hand in killing the Jedi at the temple. That said, I had a brief argument with Randy Stradley on the Dark Horse forums years ago about that - I said that Vader should kill Jedi after III, while he believed that the "Purge" ended with III (I take it as a personal victory, since after that came multiple one-shot comics of Vader killing Jedi)
  5. With GL, getting caught up in CGI is the perfect excuse for bad storytelling. Just saying.
  6. I never said that GL didn't screw up. What I'm more or less pointing out is that better writers that GL did their best to fix the screw ups in the books (which don't matter anymore -_-)

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman said:

@shawnbaby said:

Like for example:

1. I didn't say anything about the Owen part. And technically, the pilot thing was still true, due to the stupid pod racing scene (I still think they should have met as adults).

2. Eh, he still didn't care much for droids. Just because he knew one for a couple of years doesn't mean he'll remember that droid after twenty years.

4. He was shown to be somewhat reckless, due to his willingness to disregard the Order to train Anakin. He was also deemed somewhat reckless because of his association to Qui-Gon.

-

1. *shrug*
  2. There is a comic out there where he acknowledges 3PO as his creation on Bespin.
  3. It's still possible. If memory serves, they acknowledge that in future novels.
  4. Somewhat. But Vader had a personal hand in killing the Jedi at the temple. That said, I had a brief argument with Randy Stradley on the Dark Horse forums years ago about that - I said that Vader should kill Jedi after III, while he believed that the "Purge" ended with III (I take it as a personal victory, since after that came multiple one-shot comics of Vader killing Jedi)
  5. With GL, getting caught up in CGI is the perfect excuse for bad storytelling. Just saying.
  6. I never said that GL didn't screw up. What I'm more or less pointing out is that better writers that GL did their best to fix the screw ups in the books (which don't matter anymore -_-)

I'm not talking about fixes they made in The EU....GL never considered the EU to be part of his Canon anyway.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JediXMan  Moderator

I'm not talking about fixes they made in The EU....GL never considered the EU to be part of his Canon anyway.

Eh. He liked the cherry pick.

For example: including Aayla Secura in the movies, having a mural of the Great Hyperspace War in Palpatine's office, etc.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By JakeN7

@maccyd: No you don't need to be trained in the force to receive Force visions. That's evidenced by Luke's visions of Ben even before he went to Dagobah to be trained in the Force by Yoda.

Is the contradiction that important to you? Would you just rather complain about it instead of have a resolution to your inquiry? Who cares if it's a "cop-out"? It still works just fine.

Husk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

heres random other contradictions

from the original

C3P0s first job was programming Load Lifters (very similar to your vaporators) (in the prequels lets ignore this)

Uncle Owen claims to know OB1 Kenobi and later it is stated that the Droids are NOT owned by Anakin or OB1

it is mentioned that Anakin left on his own accord, not as a freed slave. (the idea of slavery conflicts with his aunt and uncle owning their own farm. unless of course Tattoine introduces sharecropping in the intercedant time (where the Jedi Order out of principle keeps OUT of the affairs of the planet))

ohh there are soo many more