Is the World War Hulk story arc PIS?

TheInfamousGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheInfamousGod

I ask this because I see people say that lot.

Please explain.

The only good thing I see from the story arc, is that hulk got to his final and most powerful incarnation, WorldBreaker Hulk.

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By GreenScar1990

No, it's not.

That's just haters doing what they do best.

Hate, whine and complain endlessly.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Saren

PIS is often a subjective quality, so it depends on whom you ask. Some will say it was PIS, others will say "eh, cool story, who cares", and yet more others will say it's not PIS, haters are just whining, complaining, <insert similar verbs here>.

Personally, I think it'd be very difficult for anyone, even Hulk fans, to argue that Greg Pak's fondness for the character didn't play at least a part, significance of said part aside, in that event.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#5 god_spawn  Moderator

PIS is often a subjective quality, so it depends on whom you ask. Some will say it was PIS, others will say "eh, cool story, who cares", and yet more others will say it's not PIS, haters are just whining, complaining, <insert similar verbs here>.

Personally, I think it'd be very difficult for anyone, even Hulk fans, to argue that Greg Pak's fondness for the character didn't play at least a part, significance of said part aside, in that event.

Agreed. There was a ridiculous amount of plot devices that were involved in that story so Hulk could get through.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not in My Opinion

Avatar image for johnkmccubbin91
johnkmccubbin91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 672

User Lists: 103

I personally think its awesome

Avatar image for regal_rumble_man
Regal_Rumble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

carmilla black is boss in that one

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#10  Edited By BlueLantern1995

PIS is Plot Induced Stupidity. Did Hulk take down someone he never should have? Well he fought and defeated Sentry so some say Yes but also you have to remember how he fought. Sentry fought like a jobber and didn't use his full power. Hulk did and even though he was knocked out and returned as Banner it is clear he defeated Sentry. This is not Plot Induced Stupidity its just really cool dude.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

PIS is Plot Induced Stupidity. Did Hulk take down someone he never should have?

Yes. The entire scenario with Reed's prep was nonsense, at least.

Avatar image for betatesthighlander1
Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulk's power is realitive to his anger, so there aren't reallly upper limits to the character

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

@bluelantern1995 said:

PIS is Plot Induced Stupidity. Did Hulk take down someone he never should have?

Yes. The entire scenario with Reed's prep was nonsense, at least.

He did? That's stupid. I change my answer. While the scenario I mentioned isn't plot induced stupidity, the one above is.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

Yeah, it was littered with it.

But not that big of a deal. The story wasn't meant to be a classic of the genre. It was a Hulk story for people who wanted to watch Hulk beat up a group of douches, and Black Bolt because he was out of character.

The worst offence (Black Bolt being defeated by Hulk) was retconned/revealed to be a Skrull anyway.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Cap10nate

Hulk Fans = Not PIS

Non Hulk Fans = PIS

What happens after WWH. I read Planet and WWH but never read what follows it (is that when Red Hulk comes about while Banner is down in the bunker). How does he become less powerful post WWH? Is it just because he isn't as angry anymore?

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Hulk Fans = Not PIS

Non Hulk Fans = PIS

What happens after WWH. I read Planet and WWH but never read what follows it (is that when Red Hulk comes about while Banner is down in the bunker). How does he become less powerful post WWH? Is it just because he isn't as angry anymore?

Yeah, the Rulk stuff immediately followed.

The reason that the Worldbreaker was so powerful wasn't because Hulk was extra mad (though he was), it was because Bruce and the Hulk were both united in their anger. Bruce was just as mad as the Hulk was. After WWH smashed everything and discovered that he'd been manipulated, Bruce resolved that he should repress that unity (and thus the Worldbreaker power), and so Hulk went back to as he originally was; savage.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SC  Moderator

PIS is a term devised and popularized by online comic book forum Battle, Versus and Rumble Boards. The S in Pee Eye Ess typically stands for stupidity. Stupidity motivated as in induced by the plot. However what one considers stupid is largely subjectively, like I can tell you as a high functioning savant with an IQ, EQ and body to fat percentage that puts me in the top zero point zero zero percent percentage of perfect Mensa Olympic athletes with numerous online debate championships, trophies and medals, everything in comics is stupid to me.

World War Hulk? Sure its stupid, like why is it on an alien world with vastly different physiologies, histories and cultures have did Hulk end up on the one with Gladiator style sandals and swords? Look at Hulk's costume therefore at the start? If this was Hulk at his smartest then how come he couldn't figure out who started the explosion that ended his happiness on Sakaar. Pak was inspired by Genghis Khan, Russel Crowe and the Power of Myth was he? Some Sun Tzu was he? I have read fan fictions from 8 year olds with more intelligence and depth. World War Hulk was a pitiful dessert after a bloated meal. How about the ineptitude of Hulk's philosophies during the series? Yeah avenge the injustice served upon an oppressed people by putting out a few million humans, including homeless, children, elderly, sick, single mothers and single fathers who live and work in New York all just to finish his boo boo face activated waah waah dispute with 6 or 7 rich white men. As a Hulk fan I am ashamed at his sense of social justice or should I say lack of. That being said Greg Pak's irrational psychological and emotional insecurities that manifests itself in his constant attempts to prove he Hulk is worthy and not the weakest or puniest is easily surpassed by many writers and their wish fulfillment Gary Sue avatar characters and their on paper feats to compensate for their lack of accomplishments in real life. Starlin and his pet Thanos, Stan Style over Substance Muhammad Lee and Thor. Chris Claremont and his Nubian African Prince Storm, Matt Faction and Cyclops, Hickman and Comic Book Science, Mike Carey and Sugah Sugah Rogue. All the stories those characters are in are stupid and PIS as well, even the ones without the aforementioned writers. I mean in Pak's original story he wanted Hulk to punch Sentry once and broke all his bones, with one punch? One time Thor beat Ares with three punches, so Pak's Hulk has to beat Ares with one move. If I didn't know better I would have thought Hulk was green because his jealousy towards characters like Thor and Superman, and even Wonder Woman who has better strength feats than.

I mean what's more PIS? Hulk beating a Reed Richards who can make guns in five minutes that kill Celestials, or a Tony Stark stark who is more competent when he was drunk or Thor one shotting characters like Silver Surfer, Beta Ray Bill and the other pet cosmic characters. Point is for 99 percent of people PIS equals fun. Except when their favorite character cries or is beaten then Personality Incited Sadness followed by snark, dismissiveness, cynicism and insult.

TL;CR;DR;CR version is yes WWH was PIS and so is every story from Marvel, DC and any comic written in English and Japanese first. I am off to sit in a forest and cry now.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Yeah, the Rulk stuff immediately followed.

The reason that the Worldbreaker was so powerful wasn't because Hulk was extra mad (though he was), it was because Bruce and the Hulk were both united in their anger. Bruce was just as mad as the Hulk was. After WWH smashed everything and discovered that he'd been manipulated, Bruce resolved that he should repress that unity (and thus the Worldbreaker power), and so Hulk went back to as he originally was; savage.

Thank you kindly. I was never really sure what happened there after WWH. It seems like another one of those major happenings that gets swept under the rug and the Marvel U forgets about like Kang destroying Washington DC.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I think it was PIS.

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup.

BlackReaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His strength didn't make much sense. The angrier he gets, the stronger he gets. He didn't seem very angry though. Not nearly as angry as he usually gets.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

His strength didn't make much sense. The angrier he gets, the stronger he gets. He didn't seem very angry though. Not nearly as angry as he usually gets.

He was very angry, but incredibly focused.

TheCowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if it was PIS or not, I just found it disappointing.

When they first announced that the Hulk was coming back to Earth to have a "chat" with the Illuminati, I was really excited. The pitch of the Hulk and Banner working together was a neat idea. Full powered Hulk with all of Banner's intelligence. A really sweet idea.

I imagined the complex issues that might come up. Could Tony convince Hulk that he didn't rig the pod to explode? Which heroes would side with the Hulk and which would side with Tony once the truth about him and the Illuminati had been revealed? How would all the other heroes react to that? I imagined the Hulk, now a king, claiming some spot of Earth as his own and taking up a position much like Namor or Black Bolt. Would Tony and the others start to regret their decision now that the savage monster they shot into space was a smart and noble king?

My mind reeled with the possibilities.

So yeah, when all we got was an extended punch-up with the Hulk no-selling attacks like a bad wrestler, I was kinda disappointed. This wasn't the Hulk using Banner's intelligence to trump superior numbers and/or technology. It was the Hulk suddenly being immune to everything just cause "he's never been this mad before". The Hulk didn't show any noble or kingly qualities; he behaved like a bully, issuing ultimatums and destroying innocent people's homes and jobs. He didn't try and show the other heroes what had been done to him; he ordered them to get out of the way and beat the crap out of anyone who dared to not obey him.

I was looking for righteous anger and justice. All I got was petty revenge and bully tantrums.

It's not a bad story, it just could've been SO much better.