#1 Posted by Knightsofdarkness2 (2313 posts) - - Show Bio

Just wanna know. Thanks in advance.

#2 Posted by JetiiMitra (8631 posts) - - Show Bio

Really depends on the title and what you find acceptable. What do you have in mind?

#3 Posted by tomlikesfries (4669 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, all of them are appropriate I'd say. The only thing that MAY be too much for kids around 7-8 is Animal Man and I, Vampire, but that's it (I may be forgetting a title or two though). Keep in mind that I, Vampire is already over by the way.

#4 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on the comic/kid/what you find appropriate.

#5 Edited by Kal'smahboi (3519 posts) - - Show Bio

All of them are rated at least T (for teen.) At ten years old, that's a gray line, depending on the kid's personal maturity.

#6 Posted by LyraFay (2527 posts) - - Show Bio

The Flash is a good one, not overly violent, still a bit dark but its still fun.

#7 Edited by AllStarSuperman (21870 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd stay away from batman honestly if the kid is sheltered or whatever.

#8 Posted by Experio (16044 posts) - - Show Bio

yep.

#9 Posted by Jayc1324 (12291 posts) - - Show Bio

Not unless they are very mature. they are all rated teen I'm pretty sure and can have tons of blood, violence, crude humor, tons of cleavage and sexy poses, death scenes and so forth. But not all books have these things in it so it really depends on the book. As long as they are fine with blood and violence it should be fine though

#10 Posted by dagmar_merrill (8636 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on the book most of them are fine though.

#11 Edited by Binski (647 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say stick away from the teen plus and most of the bat books...flash and aquaman are pretty good.

#13 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8008 posts) - - Show Bio

@knightsofdarkness2: I wouldn't say all of them are, but it really depends on the individual kid's maturity. What series' did you have in mind?

#14 Edited by Transformers1024 (1918 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman (Death of the Family most notably) - NO!

The Flash - Maybe. The story can go pretty in depth and discuss some science a kid that age may not understand

Superman - Have at it!

Blue Beetle - Yea

Green Lantern - Possibly..

Swamp Thing - NO!

Animal Man - NO!

Justice League - Yes

Aquaman - Yes

#15 Posted by BatFamFangirl (16 posts) - - Show Bio

Not all of them are appropriate. It depends on the title. Needn't I bring up Red Hood and the Outlaws?

#16 Posted by bob808 (6775 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes all of them are appropriate.

#17 Edited by Jonez120 (4348 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm, I can't really answer that question for you bud. Depends on how much explicit material you've been exposed to while growing up.

If you think excessive amounts of blood and almost bare boo- er uhm, mammary glands are too much for you and make you feel uncomfortable, then there is nothing wrong with that. But if that sounds like same ol, same ol. Then that's ok too.

Just depends on you...

#18 Edited by New_World_Order (13214 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on the comic/kid/what you find appropriate.

#19 Edited by Bierschneeman (3982 posts) - - Show Bio

As a general rule NO, read it first for yourself to find out.

DC has been quoted that their target demographic is 30-40 year olds so they tend to be less age appropriate.

Specifically the digital comics Lil Gotham and Batman 66 are actually PERFECT for a 10 year old, it might be only a few years until he/she decides they are too old for those two titles, OR they might end up reading them for a VERY long time, since they are both well written. if they were a cartoon I would say it would be rated TV Y7 in the US

Below is a list of comics I have a specific opinion about for 10 year olds, the ones marked NO are for partial nudity, sexual content (including Heavy Jokes and Blatant innuendo that a five year old would understand), extremely disturbing themes that belong in R rated movies or NC 17 sometimes, and although I have no problem with violence for even a 3 year old some of the comics listed depict extremely graphically Dismemberment, Mutilation, and Gore similar or more graphically than the movie Saw.

Batman NO (dark themes)

Detective Comics NO

Nightwing NO

Batman Dark Knight NOOOO NOO NOO NOO (contains all offending categories of no)

Batgirl NO

Red Lanterns NO

Larefleeze NO

Swamp Thing NO

Animal Man NO

Justice League Yes

Superman yes

Superboy I hear yes

Supergirl Yes

All Star Western No....I think

Green Lantern Yes sometimes I want to say maybe so read it yourself

Green Lantern Corps Yes sometimes I want to say maybe so read it yourself

Demon Knights YES YES YES (and its really good)

Justice League Dark NO

Aquaman YES

Constantine NO

Any DC Military comic NO

Teen Titans YES

Red Hood and the Outlaws OHH GOD NO

#20 Posted by GodTriggerHulk (1998 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's a sample DC pull list for a 10 year old.

Flash

Green Lantern

Green Lantern Corps.

Superman Unchained

Justice League

Justice League of America

It could be that I'm jaded so preview them before letting the kid read them. Don't be overly prudish though, edgy stuff can lead to good parent/child rap time.

#21 Posted by Knightsofdarkness2 (2313 posts) - - Show Bio

@bierschneeman: phew, i was just gonna get Batman: Dark knight but you saved me in the last second. :P

#22 Edited by Knightsofdarkness2 (2313 posts) - - Show Bio

@battle_forum_junkie: the series i have in mind is Batman: Year One ( one of my friends told me that it doesn't have too much violence so its okay to get it) and The New 52 Batman books by Scott Snyder ( i don't know if this one is okay to get though)

#23 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

Even a 10 or 11 year old would see that most of the new 52 is trash.

But please do let them read the GL books. They are good.

#24 Edited by Squalleon (4610 posts) - - Show Bio

@knightsofdarkness2:
As pointed before many titles have some content that may not be suited for a 10 year old. I would personally recommend these titles because I have read them myself and know their content:

• Action Comics ( a Superman title, it starts from the beginning of the hero's carrier so it is easy to follow too)
  • Aquaman (It has some violence but nothing extreme)
  • Justice League
  • Batman (the Scott Snyder title you mentioned before, it has some dark themes so you should check it first)
  • Superman Unchained
  • Batman/Superman (It is a perfect title for a 10 year old, at this moment it hasn't shown any violence or dark themes.)
  • Superman/WonderWoman
#25 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8008 posts) - - Show Bio

@knightsofdarkness2: Well, if you're only concerned with the violence then it's okay. But, just a warning; there are a couple scenes involving drug use and prostitution. Nothing graphic is shown, but it is hinted at. In the same pages there is also several women in provacitive clothing as well as quite a few signs in the background.

#26 Edited by tomlikesfries (4669 posts) - - Show Bio

What's so dark about Death of the Family, so that a 11 year old kid can't read it? Come on, a bit of violence and Joker's madness may be too much for kids around 7, but an eleven year old child can read through it and enjoy with no problem... The only thing that I'd recommend staying away from, come to think of it, is Morrison's Action Comics. It was pretty confusing towards the end of his run.

#27 Edited by IrishX (2371 posts) - - Show Bio

Even a 10 or 11 year old would see that most of the new 52 is trash.

But please do let them read the GL books. They are good.

Funny you say that. My daughter is 11 and a fan of the Teen Titans. She is currently collecting the 2003 series. She saw the New 52 version and basically said... yeah, no thanks.

#28 Posted by Knightsofdarkness2 (2313 posts) - - Show Bio

@battle_forum_junkie: I'm not that worried about the violence, I'm more worried if thefe is sexual content because if it does contain sexual content then i wouldn't buy the book.

#29 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8008 posts) - - Show Bio

@knightsofdarkness2: You might want to flip through it for yourself before buying it because, like I said, nothing particularly graphic is shown. But I don't know what your personal standards are so I would suggest you flip through it real quick. It is a great story, though.

#30 Posted by JSH92 (417 posts) - - Show Bio

@knightsofdarkness2: Here are some from what I've been reading of the New 52 that I don't recall having a lot of sexual content or too much violence:

• Birds of Prey
  • Blue Beetle (cancelled, but was one of my favorites; my little brother, who's like two years older than you, really enjoyed it too)
  • Detective Comics (possibly the most mature of the ones I've listed, but it seems from your comments that you like Batman a lot, and it isn't like super violent or sexualized....at least that I can remember)
  • Fury of Firestorm (cancelled, but I really enjoyed it)
  • The Flash
  • Justice League of America
  • Talon
#31 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

@irishx: Lol. She is smart. Oh, jeez, with the New 52. N52 both brought me into comics, and made me leave for a number of months. I nearly abandoned superhero comics altogether, if not for some good Marvel comics.

#32 Edited by Knightsofdarkness2 (2313 posts) - - Show Bio

@jsh92: thanks for the suggestions! i will take those into consideration.

#33 Posted by Bierschneeman (3982 posts) - - Show Bio

@jsh92 said:

@knightsofdarkness2: Here are some from what I've been reading of the New 52 that I don't recall having a lot of sexual content or too much violence:

• Birds of Prey
  • Blue Beetle (cancelled, but was one of my favorites; my little brother, who's like two years older than you, really enjoyed it too)
  • Detective Comics (possibly the most mature of the ones I've listed, but it seems from your comments that you like Batman a lot, and it isn't like super violent or sexualized....at least that I can remember)
  • The Flash
  • Talon

isn;t detective comics the one that's starts off right off the bat with a serial killer (not a super villain, a dahmer styled serial killer) who cuts peoples faces off? which is then graphically depicted full frame? don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, by I wouldn't want my 10 year old kid reading it anymore than watching silence of the lambs.

once they hit high school maybe im sure.

#34 Edited by JSH92 (417 posts) - - Show Bio

@bierschneeman said:

@jsh92 said:

• Birds of Prey
  • The Flash
  • Talon

isn;t detective comics the one that's starts off right off the bat with a serial killer (not a super villain, a dahmer styled serial killer) who cuts peoples faces off? which is then graphically depicted full frame? don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, by I wouldn't want my 10 year old kid reading it anymore than watching silence of the lambs.

once they hit high school maybe im sure.

Ah...yes...well, good thing I added that little disclaimer of "at least that I can remember" lol...yea, yikes, that might be not so good for a 10 year old. I guess I was really only remembering the stuff since Layman took over. So, like after issue 10 or so. That's like the Emperor Penguin and Wrath arcs. I suppose the Man-Bat stuff could be a tad gruesome too.

Although, that being said...isn't it a bit strange that in your earlier post you said "Yes" to Demon Knights (which, I should say, was one of my favorite New 52 titles). There's all sorts of dark magic and violence that makes that a bit too much for that age group.

#35 Edited by Transformers1024 (1918 posts) - - Show Bio

@knightsofdarkness2: Is this going to be for your list or trying to get your kid into comics?

#36 Posted by The_Tree (7480 posts) - - Show Bio

Pak's Action Comics, Aquaman, Batwing, Layman's Detective Comics, The Flash, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Justice League are all pretty tame to me.

#37 Posted by lightsout (1829 posts) - - Show Bio

kudos to everyone who's acknowledging that there's not 1 universal code of what's "appropriate".

#38 Posted by RustyRoy (12732 posts) - - Show Bio

Flash

#39 Posted by Knightsofdarkness2 (2313 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Edited by theodixon9 (542 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't read much of the New 52, but from what I have:

• Batman: The Dark Knight = Almost definitely no! It's pretty gory, there's a fair amount of bad language and other not very appropriate things
  • Batman and Robin = From what I've read, it seems pretty suitable
  • Demon Knights = Although it's cancelled, I don't remember the series containing anything too inappropriate, although it might be a little violent
  • Green Arrow = Another fairly suitable title
  • Justice League = I've not read much, but I don't think it contains anything that unsuitable
  • Justice League Dark = Any book with John Constantine is going to have a fair bit of swearing in it
  • Justice League International = Again, it may be cancelled but there was nothing inappropriate in it
#41 Posted by Novemberx2 (447 posts) - - Show Bio

None?

Its not an issue of content and violence, its more of an issue of the complexity of dialogue through out a lot of modern comics.

I guess the first arc of Justice League would be acceptable, its super simplistic, would act as a gate way.