Is the New 52 a Failure?

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

I watch this youtuber named KWing and he's and all but he always complains about the New 52 most of it which he seems too not know much about (Save for Batman stories). He's always called it a failure but is it? Finically is it doing Decently? Has it done a good job in brining in new people? Etc. State different reasons why you think the New52 has or has not failed.

SinnTek1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm going to say no and yes at the same time.

A lot of writing has just gone to complete crap because they are trying to change the comics to fit their ends. See Scott Snyder.

I can't really say it's a complete failure though because New 52 is why I started reading comic books again.

Marvel NOW pissed me off and I threw away most of the comics I bought because of how bad the art and writing was and then bam I see GL GC New 52 and it was like a godsend to have me read comics again.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kgb725

At the start of it it brought in a boat load of people but simultaneously alienated many of their fans which put them off of DC forever but I'd say it was mostly successful

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nope

Avatar image for firestormfate1919
FirestormFate1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FirestormFate1919

I don't think it's a failure, but it's far inferior to Pre 52. They butchered the JSA, Martian Manhunter, Wally West, Kyle Rayner, the Teen Titans, and most of my favorite characters,. The only real positive is the integration of the Wildstorm Universe, but that could have been done without a complete reboot.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

For the most part, it's a sucess.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Not exactly but it's not a success either.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By stormshadow_x

@firestormfate1919:

What did it do too Kyle and Manhunter? And Wally is about the same too me :p other then being younger then those who'd he usually be friends with (Grayson, Starfire). I prefer the JSA to be in the main stream Universe and thing Making alan scott gay was unnecessary but pretty decent. Fook teen titans tho :p messed them up.

Avatar image for stardustcrusader
StardustCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It helped me get into comics, so it was a success for me.

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't there a poll for the New 52 that restricted anyone but white males to vote?

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mandarinestro

Depends on how you define success.

Sales? I think it was a moderate success. It only jumped a bit over Marvel and then went back to normal.

Fans? Well, I think they lost some old fans and gained a few.

Avatar image for firestormfate1919
FirestormFate1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormshadow_x: Well Hal never had time to die, and Kyle never got to be the special "Average guy who obtains limitless power" guy. It takes away most of what made the character special. Wally lost literally everything. I don't care about the race change, he just isn't the same character.

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I would say that it is good and it brought a lot of new readers in.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is not, but alas so many characters had to suffer. Characters like wally west (i don't mind him being black but why de age him so much), Superboy (some one needs to slap lobdell for that whole jon lane kent disaster), the teen titans in general (Bar tor oh lord i know he isn't suppose to be bart allen). Still i think they are slowly fixing it.

DarthManhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ticked me off for a long time, specially what they did with Martian Manhunter, Wally, and Teen Titans. But seems like they might be trying to make amends somewhat. I guess its growing on me. Lol

As far as a success? I would say sure mildly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@stormshadow_x:

Fanboys always are bitching. It has strong and weak points, it started very poorly but after one year they decide fix things. There are bad storylines, characther´s deveploment, event and tittles on Pre Flashpoint era.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No I got into Comics through the New-52 and have liked it ever since.

Avatar image for supremehyperion
SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

It's definitely a yes and no type thing. I think there have been some real cool books and stories, but overall I'm not a huge fan of the new 52 as a whole

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Financially, no, not even a little bit. DC raised the entire market with the New 52 launch, it got people into the shops and they bought more than just DC titles.

Creatively, no, the past 3-4 years have provided the most diverse offerings from DC in decades.

Managing the in-house continuity, yes and massively. No one appears to be able to figure out just what did and didn't happen during the 5 year gap between the formation of the League and the present day. Teen Titans being the most infamous, with the initial 'there was a team' according to both Red Robin and Flamebird, to 'nope there was never a Teen Titans' and edits to change previously printed statements.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It was a success. At first a rousing success, then later just a regular one. It had it's moment in the sun but things came back down to earth as they always do. But by no measurable was it a failure. Some folks didn't like the direction/story, but that's going to happen no matter what you do. Some the loudest critics against it are folks that hate everything DC does anyhow, so there was no pleasing them to start with.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Thor-Parker

No, there are a lot of good titles in the New 52.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 559

#24  Edited By Guru_Crack

@stormshadow_x: I was reading comics a few months before I noticed the New 52 but there have had good stories and bad stories its no more of a failure than DC was before. it did bring in new people but also upset old fans so pretty much even I would imagine. But if I had to go one way or the other would say done more good than harm.

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a novelty it was a moderate/good financial success (at least in the short term).

Creatively? Some things remained the same and the few improvement didn't need the reboot to happen. The rest is garbage compared to what was before.Creatively it's a massive failure.

Ultragreenboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

I watch this youtuber named KWing and he's and all but he always complains about the New 52 most of it which he seems too not know much about (Save for Batman stories). He's always called it a failure but is it? Finically is it doing Decently? Has it done a good job in brining in new people? Etc. State different reasons why you think the New52 has or has not failed.

I think I know which youtuber you're talking about. It's hard to take KWing's criticism seriously because he really doesn't understand the purpose of a reboot and just comes off as a fanboy who puts the pre-52 on a pedestal.

Financially, DC has helped itself with the reboot because it did bring in new readers. It had a rough start but overall the new 52 has significantly improved.

Artyom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will never forgive DC for what happened to Wally.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes and no. No because it brought me back to reading DC, yes because the way it was executed sucked.

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It was a success, but there were definitely areas it could have improved upon

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No. Some characters were done badly but apart from that the stories an the action are pretty good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d45fd7ce1a16
deactivated-5d45fd7ce1a16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The batman titles are still good, so I don't consider it a failure.

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bloody LOVE the new 52 Aquaman

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump for Rebirth

TheJman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nope , Harley got some love. That alone makes it a success in my eyes.