#1 Posted by OldManRaffles (29 posts) - - Show Bio

When it comes to Hawkeye I'm not the most knowledgeable. However, I have heard very good things about the most recent run and I am interested in getting into it. What I want to know is, is this series a good jumping on point for someone who is new to Hawkeye?

#2 Posted by OldManRaffles (29 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump. Don't hate me, I just kind of need to know now XD

#3 Posted by captainsaul (140 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you mean from issue 1?

#4 Edited by OldManRaffles (29 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, the Matt Fraction run. If I start reading from issue 1 to now, will I be lost? Or can I go into it not knowing much about the character and the world?

#5 Posted by i_like_swords (18437 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually picked up issue 10 today and it seems preeeetty complicated, so if you decide to get it id find out the story so far or collect from issue 1. And id have a look at the artwork too because IMHO im not too crazy over it. I've not read the other issues though.

#6 Posted by OldManRaffles (29 posts) - - Show Bio

@i_like_swords: Seeing as it's only up to issue 10 I was hoping to pick up all the singles, as I really love the cover art. I've just never read any Hawkeye stuff before and I don't want to pick up issue 1 and have no idea what's going on. I was hoping it was going to be new reader friendly.

#7 Edited by RustyRoy (14472 posts) - - Show Bio

If you pick up from issue 1 then you won't be having any problems, Fraction's run is the 1st Hawkeye (solo) book I read and I didn't have much problem. Also you can always search the internet for a little background.

#8 Edited by OldManRaffles (29 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy: Very true. I just didn't want to be bogged down by past backstory unbeknown to me. If it's all good then I'll be purchasing the issues tomorrow. My first foray into Marvel, how exciting.

#9 Edited by i_like_swords (18437 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Edited by Dabee (2399 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe issue 1 is on like... it's fifth printing now? The TPB of the first 6 or so issues is coming out soon, so that might be a good place to start, then start collecting from there. It's a really great series, but it's not going to really require any prior knowledge. The fact that it goes past just being an avenger I think makes it a great time to jump on. I overall highly recommend it. I don't mean "just an avenger" in a bad way at all, however. That would be like saying "just a heart/brain surgeon." Anyway, check it out. It's really really good, bro. Bro. Bro. Bro.

EDIT: I don't think I talked about how amazing it was, enough. It's really really really really good. And I'm not limiting how awesome it is by only using a measly four "really"s. It's just awesome. Not just awesome. Like, it's really good. Not just anything.

See how much I'm going on and rambling? That's how good it is, bro. Bro bro bro bro bro.

#11 Posted by JakeN7 (13789 posts) - - Show Bio

@dabee said:

I believe issue 1 is on like... it's fifth printing now? The TPB of the first 6 or so issues is coming out soon, so that might be a good place to start, then start collecting from there. It's a really great series, but it's not going to really require any prior knowledge. The fact that it goes past just being an avenger I think makes it a great time to jump on. I overall highly recommend it. I don't mean "just an avenger" in a bad way at all, however. That would be like saying "just a heart/brain surgeon." Anyway, check it out. It's really really good, bro. Bro. Bro. Bro.

EDIT: I don't think I talked about how amazing it was, enough. It's really really really really good. And I'm not limiting how awesome it is by only using a measly four "really"s. It's just awesome. Not just awesome. Like, it's really good. Not just anything.

See how much I'm going on and rambling? That's how good it is, bro. Bro bro bro bro bro.

It's already out, I saw it at Barnes and Noble yesterday...

#12 Posted by Dabee (2399 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7 said:

All the more excuse to start reading it NOW!. (Get it, NOW! ?) Thanks, by the way, I wasn't totally sure.

#13 Posted by JakeN7 (13789 posts) - - Show Bio

@dabee said:

@jaken7 said:

All the more excuse to start reading it NOW!. (Get it, NOW! ?) Thanks, by the way, I wasn't totally sure.

Yeah, no problem. I've been reading it since the 2nd printing of issue #1 and it's my favorite book being published by Marvel.

I think the TPB is called...My Life as a Weapon (?)

#14 Edited by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

Read Hawkeye! I picked up the book solely on the good word of mouth going around. Never regretted it and it remains one my favorite books every month. Didn't even care much about the character before picking it up. My experience with Clint came from the Avengers movie and some older Avenger stories. That is all. Very easy to get into and understand.