Is the Hulk overrated? Is Hyperion properly appreciated?

ManEl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 268

#1  Edited By ManEl

Lately, and specially since the introduction of the current version of Hyperion, I have become more and more disgusted with the aberrant hype about the Hulk to which we as readers are subjected.

Now, I'll grant you, the Hulk is pretty bad-ass: he is really strong and only gets stronger (within limits), durable, and on occasion a real smart cookie. But please, he is not the be-all end-all of physical power they would have us believe.

For example, we now have a Superman homage character in the Avengers (i.e. Hyperion) who has kept two universes from colliding (not entirely sure how) and upon the eventual destruction of said universes was the sole survivor of this annihilation and remained in a "void of existence?" for an unspecified amount of time being none the worse for wear. Okay, he was a little tired.

Next thing we know, him surviving a punch to the face from the Hulk is a big deal? Come on!!

Marvel has established some canon feats of Hyperion's which blow puny Hulk out of the water; and then they short change the guy just because the Hulk is popular? Being green, angry and strong does not a powerful character make, it just makes for a more durable Kermit.

So, I have vented. And expressed my utter contempt for what in my opinion is nothing more than a marketing ploy. That being said, this is only my personal opinion. What do you think? Am I way off base? Is there something to what I am saying? Let me know what you think.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'd like to see Hulk brought down to golden age power levels. I don't see the value of hyperbolizing his strength to ridiculous extremes.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do not like Hyperkid give him some pills and so the Hulk wins but I wish they would let him fly already because the jumping thing is old news.

hatemalingsia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By hatemalingsia

Yes. Yes, actually.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

Hulk usually gets underrated from what I've seen, and some exaggerate to extremes. I'm a huge Hulk fan but he's a difficult character for people to debate well it seems. @ghostravage and @theacidskull are the two best Hulk debaters I've seen on the site, and do him proper justice.

Hyperion used to get wildly overrated...then came Blue Marvel.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@granitesoldier: True, Hulk is really underrated. Also Hyperion is just parody of superman right?

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By unbreakable_fs4

I think the view of Hulk on this is pretty fair and balanced. Hyperion is under appreciated in my opinion.

ManEl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 268

Just to clarify which version of Hyperion I was pitching with/comparing to the Hulk in my original post: I referred to the Marvel Now Hyperion currently in the Avengers, the Earth-13034 Marcus Milton. Who, based on canon feats appears to me to be exponentially more powerful than that A-hole, King Hyperion who caved in such a spectacular manner not only to Doc Brashear (a.k.a. the Blue Marvel) but who also got the mother of all beatings from both the T-bolts and the Exiles.

The Hyperion who survived the simultaneous destruction of two universes is, IMHO, on a whole different level. As in well above and beyond the self styled "King" Hyperion.

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manel said:

Lately, and specially since the introduction of the current version of Hyperion, I have become more and more disgusted with the aberrant hype about the Hulk to which we as readers are subjected.

Now, I'll grant you, the Hulk is pretty bad-ass: he is really strong and only gets stronger (within limits), durable, and on occasion a real smart cookie. But please, he is not the be-all end-all of physical power they would have us believe.

For example, we now have a Superman homage character in the Avengers (i.e. Hyperion) who has kept two universes from colliding (not entirely sure how) and upon the eventual destruction of said universes was the sole survivor of this annihilation and remained in a "void of existence?" for an unspecified amount of time being none the worse for wear. Okay, he was a little tired.

Next thing we know, him surviving a punch to the face from the Hulk is a big deal? Come on!!

Marvel has established some canon feats of Hyperion's which blow puny Hulk out of the water; and then they short change the guy just because the Hulk is popular? Being green, angry and strong does not a powerful character make, it just makes for a more durable Kermit.

So, I have vented. And expressed my utter contempt for what in my opinion is nothing more than a marketing ploy. That being said, this is only my personal opinion. What do you think? Am I way off base? Is there something to what I am saying? Let me know what you think.

Says the guy that made a thread about Black Adam vs this entire group of Avengers(to which you added that you think he would STOMP them), that mods later closed because it was an obvious spite considering there are several characters here that can solo Adam on their own, or at the very least give him a good match.

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-7/black-adam-vs-the-avengers-1647980/

No Caption Provided

you have lost all the right and ability to call something overrated. What HYPE are you even talking about? Despite Hyperion surviving 2 universes colliding and holding apart 2 planets he has not shown any really notable feats in combat that put him above guys like Thor and Hulk. If you want to talk about "puny canon feats" Hulk has a few that confirm he can block and blow back universe busting attacks, smash asteroids twice as big as earth in his weakest incarnation, survive in an universe with limitless density again in his weakest incarnation and almost cause the destruction of the entire MULTIVERSE, how many feats like those does Hyperion have? But obvious those feats Hulk has as well as those Hyperion has should be taken with a grain of salt. If you think Marvel is trying to shove something down our throats and is over hyping Hulk from a market point go read Savage Wolverine where Hulk can't beat a single freaking Gorilla, get's one-shoted by a feat less creature and swallowed by a simple whale. There is no conspiracy here, if Marvel actually wanted to hype and show Hulk as the strongest there is with unlimited strength they would have done so ages ago and not have him for instance lose to Son God(who was a direct analogy for Superman and was even an homage to the crossover fight of Sup and Thor years ago). Every character has his or hers good and bad moments. Hulk and Hyperion are no different from any of them..... except for maybe Batgod.

kingofnerds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge: good post and then lost me at end. Batman's weak point is his obsession with little boys. Still waiting on child protective services to go after him.

Oh new battle thread! Batman vs Child protective services!!!

ShaoKahn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulk is the most overrated comic book character of all time .

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Find out on the next episode of Dragon Ball Z

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Penguin-Dust

@cgoodness said:

Find out on the next episode of Dragon Ball Z

Precisely, writers keep ratcheting up new and old heroes and the villains who oppose them and you end up with ludicrous DBZ-like characters blowing up universes. It's the "infinity plus one" school of logic.

KingOfKings1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yes' The Hulk is overrated .

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manel: If anything, both are highly underrated.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are both underrated