Is the Dark Side Stronger?

silentbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By silentbat

If you prefer a written version here it is (think of the above as an audio book):

"Well, the Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us; it binds the galaxy together."

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, a young Jedi apprentice stops his light jog, sweat glistening on his forehead. On his back he carries an old Jedi Master who whispers instructions in his ear. The apprentice interrupts his master with a question: "Is the the dark side stronger?" If I were that Master on that apprentice's back I would say yes, the dark side is stronger. In this special video, my first Geek Rant as I'll call it, I will be discussing the dark side versus the light side. I will be analyzing which is more favorable to the other, the pros and cons of each. Most of all, I will be determining which one is stronger.

First, let's describe both the light side and dark side of the Force. The light side of the Force is described as the Force in its purest state, as referenced by the Jedi. Qualities of the light side are its calming nature, its contemplative state and its composed essence. As Yoda would say to Luke Skywalker on Dagobah, "You will know [the light side], when you are calm. At peace, passive." Of course, the greatest users of the light side of the Force were the Jedi, who were always looking for balance in the Force. They attempted to keep their emotions in check, never getting too high nor too low, there was no passion, there was no hatred. However there was an opposing viewpoint to the Jedi and the light side of the Force. Another group, self-proclaimed as the Sith, favored a contradictory use of the Force: the dark side.

By contrast, the dark side of the Force is described as the Force in its most corrupt form, again, in a Jedi's opinion. Qualities of the dark side are its damaging nature, its destructive state and its dominating essence. As Darth Bane would say to Darth Zannah, "The strength of the dark side lies with the power of the individual. The Force comes from within." Of course, the Sith were not the only practitioners of the dark side of the Force. Other factions who trained themselves in this aspect of the Force were Dark Jedi, Bando Gora and the Nightsisters of Dathomir, to name a few. Dark siders attempted to use their emotions rather than block themselves from it. Through their passion they gained their strength. However, that passion and its strength came at a cost.

Both the light and dark side of the Force had their pros and cons. While the light side was very effective in keeping one's calm and grace, it lacked in power and dominance. And though the dark side was very valuable for one's strength and vigor, it was difficult to control and detrimental to the soul.

Because the light side focused on balance and tranquility, Jedi, and other practitioners of the light side, were often very open minded and controlled. With a clear head, they were able to see all their options, all the possible ways to subvert an issue. Mace Windu's use of Shatterpoint, for instance, was a showcase of the benefits of the light side. As an example, Mace could see that Count Dooku's death would have brought a total end to the war had he killed him on Geonosis. Of course, he did not kill him due to his remorse for his old friend, but still, he could perceive his importance. Though his use of shatterpoint was more clouded during the war's end, he was even able to perceive the importance of Anakin Skywalker. Yet he could not pinpoint Skywalker's exact role. Yes, shatterpoint has also been used by dark siders as well, like Darth Caedus, but more often than not, its use was attributed to Jedi and light siders.

Another example of the light side's benefit is indicated in Obi-Wan Kenobi's fight with General Grevious. In the Revenge of the Sith novelization it states, "... it was not Obi-Wan who would defeat them; Obi-Wan wasn't even fighting. He was only a vessel, emptied of self. The Force, shaped by his skill and guided by his clarity of mind, fought through him." It was Obi-Wan's total and complete trust in the Force that gave him the ability to go toe-to-toe with Grevious and his MagnaDroids without as much as a scratch. It gave him the ability to see every strike, every maneuver and counter it with inhuman speed.

Perhaps the most prolific light side power was its ability to heal and sustain life. The culmination of this being a Jedi's ability to retain their identity in the physical world, though in a nonphysical manner. This was something even a Sith Lord was incapable of, though it was always their ultimate goal. As Qui-Gon would say to Yoda, "[Eternal life is] the ultimate goal of the Sith, yet they can never achieve it; it comes only through the release of self, not the exaltation of self. It comes through compassion, not greed." For all the power of the dark side, the one thing many of its practitioners wanted to achieve was not never achievable through its practice. Nevertheless, the dark side had a few benefits of its own.

Because the dark side focused on power and strength, it lent itself well to many destructive and tremendous abilities. Drawing on their passion and rage, the Sith and other dark siders were able to apply their dominate-will over others. In contrast to Jedi healing, Sith used Force draining. While Force healing was used to rehabilitate others, Force draining was used to weaken them, and in succession, strengthen the caster. Darth Traya would use this ability against three Jedi Council Members to great effect, amplifying her own abilities extensively.

Another example of a dark side benefit would be the extensive use of Force lightning. For me, Force lightning was one of the most profound expressions of the dark side through a physical manner. To explain its extensive power I'll read from the Darth Plagueis book, "A Jedi sufficiently strong in the Force can be trained to produce a facsimile, but not true Sith lightning, which, unabated, has the power not only to incapacitate or kill, but to physically transform the victim. Force lightning requires strength of a sort only a Sith can command because we accept consequence and reject compassion. To do so requires a thirst for power that is not easily satisfied. The Force tries to resist the callings of ravenous spirits; therefore it must be broken and made a beast of burden. It must be made to answer one's will. But the Force cannot be treated deferentially. In order to summon and use lightning properly, you will someday have to be on the receiving end of its power, as a means of taking the energy inside yourself." Plagueis' explanation would be backed up by several examples. Both Darth Bane and Darth Sidious have showcased such power with Force lightning that they've been able to turn their foes into ash. And as Plagueis said, only a true dark sider could conjure the power, as it required extensive focus and control over the Force. While Force lightning was an extremely powerful ability, I do not believe it was the most profound tool of the Sith.

Although extremely common among dark siders, Force rage was perhaps the most fruitful and lush ability in their arsenal. Because of its usefulness and abundance, it was almost always one of the first powers to touch a dark sider. Even the Jedi recognized the natural occurrence of the ability and sought to deny it in favor for a calm balance. In most situations, the dark side would come quicker and offer you help the quickest. After Luke Skywalker asks Yoda if that dark side is stronger he would answer that it was not, but rather, quicker, easier and more seductive. When a user, light side or dark side, uses Force rage they experience a rush of adrenaline that enhances their physical movements with astonishing speeds and incredible strength. This single ability is what initially led me to believe that the dark side is inherently stronger than the light side.

There are several examples from both light side and dark side users in regards to their use of Force Rage. And Force Rage will prove to be most useful. Let's look at the fight between Aryn Leener and Darth Malgus in the book Deceived. This will be especially helpful because they fight twice in the novel. Once, while Leneer is powered by her rage; the other, when she was not. In their first fight, Aryn would describe that she was fighting angry but did not care. Her anger afforded her a speed and strength that could match the great Lord Malgus. During the fight she even had the upperhand but was talked out of killing Malgus by her companion. She then fled and would meet with Malgus at the end of the book. In their final fight Malgus would insult her stating she was only a mere child of hate. Though anger smolder under her she was only a fraction of what she could be, as she had put trust in the Force once more. All that being said, Malgus easily defeated Leneer without her Force rage.

Again we see the dark side being used to the benefit of Anakin Skywalker in the Revenge of the Sith novelization. Throughout the Clone Wars, Skywalker had fought equal with Dooku but it was not until their final duel, and his use of the dark side, that he was able to defeat him. Using the pain of his life, using rage as his weapon, he allowed himself a speed and a strength to pummel through Dooku's defense and eventually bring him down.

Anakin's son, Luke Skywalker, would experience a similar scenario when they would confront each other for the last time. Anakin, now Darth Vader, would attempt to apply Dun Moch on Luke in hopes of breaking his resolve. Instead, Vader unleashes a dragon within Luke that strikes out at him with heavy cleaves. Eventually, through his rage and hatred, Luke would dominate Darth Vader, slicing off his hand. It was Luke's use of the dark side which enabled him victory over Vader. Yes, Luke was able to renounce his use of the dark side and proclaim himself a Jedi to Darth Sidious, but it does not change the fact that he used it in the first place. This is a strong case for the dark side strength over the light. But with its power comes great sacrifice as well.

As Yoda would say, "The dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join in a fight. Beware of them. A heavy price is paid for the power they bring." It's clear the dark side flows much easier than that of the light side. While this is true, I think it's much harder to master. Think of a real life scenario. When we get angry we feel a huge adrenaline boost, we feel we could punch through a wall. But that adrenaline burns fast and hot, and smolders out quickly, difficult to control. Rage and aggression afford us great strength, but without control it can consume us, make us sloppy. This is what would happen to Anakin Skywalker when he fought Obi-Wan Kenobi. His rage, which was previously controlled in the Jedi temple, gave him strength and speed he never knew. Against Obi-Wan, he let his rage blind him, making him careless. What's more, continued use of the dark side without control eventually broke the user down. We see this with many Dark Lords who's physical and mental prowess waned over time. The most extreme case would be with King Ommin, a Sith Sorcerer so broken down by the dark side he needed an exoskeleton to support his survival. Essentially, the dark side was a drug. For a time it gifted its user with an astounding power, but once that high was gone it wouldn't be pretty.

By comparison, the light side of the Force was much easier to master and sustain but much harder to find initial trust in. The dark side of the Force was always a barrier to the light, always giving you an easy way in, but no easy way out.

So it's actually pretty difficult to determine which is more favorable. Do you go with the dark side which affords you great strength but little longevity, or do you go with the light side which may not be as strong but is long lasting. Some Jedi have attempted to find a balance of both, most notably the Gray Jedi. Gray Jedi had two meanings but when I refer to the name I speak of those Jedi who teetered between the light and dark. The most famous of this type of Jedi would of course be Revan, formerly Darth Revan, who was intimate with both the light and dark. However, I feel the Jedi most effective at achieving a balance of the two,, at least within the current main canon, was Mace Windu. His use of Vaapad was an exact expression of balance. He used the darkness within himself but did not let it touch or corrupt him. He was a progressive Jedi, allowing that natural occurrence of the dark side to be used as a weapon for the light. His philosophy of course would be picked up later by Luke Skywalker and the members of the New Jedi Order, but who knows what Episode VII will bring in that regard.

With all that being said, I am still looking for a definitive answer to the original question. Is the dark side stronger? We have seen the benefits of both the light and dark. We have seen the detractions of both. We have seen examples of how the light and dark has been implemented in different scenarios. So in a word I would still say yes, the dark side is stronger. Yet, its strength comes at a grave cost and ultimately, is that cost really worth it?

As always this is all just my opinion. Please leave your thoughts and comments below. If you had the choice would you choose the dark side or the light side? No cheating! A balance between the two is not an option, you must choose! Do you agree the dark side is stronger or do you believe the longevity of the light side trumps it? Peace, love and may the Force be with you ... always!

king1_icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have wonder this for a very long time but finally came to reallit. the dark side is clearly stronger and im not sure if the writers realize this at all. Even when luke asked weather or not the dark is stronger and yoda said no i was thinking to my self...well you the strongest and wisest jedi as well as the entire jedi order were brought down by ONE SITH. It never made any sense to me that not even yoda or windu could freakin sense a dark side user as powerful are darth sidious in the mist. Dark side users have the best feats and are the only ones who have has used the force on a planetary level. However i also think that light side users purposely restricted themselves and this never mad any sense to be either. When talking about this you must remember that its a question of the side effects of each side rather which sad has produced the strongest. Yoda and luke are likely the strongest light side users. And there is no way yoda has done anything to put him on par with people like dark raven or Freedon Nadd. and holy crap lol at any light side user being on par with darth plagius

Darth Vitiate killed of an entire planet including numerous Sith Lords and absorbed all their power, he became immortal and killed his father with just a thought. and lol it took the entire jedi order with luke to bring down exar kun

so based on feats from dark side users the dark side is CLEARLY the strongest side of the force.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Fallschirmjager

silentbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By silentbat

@king1_icon: Strongest but most detrimental.

Yeah even when Yoda answered Luke he seemed tentative. He was like NO! No ... no ... just easier and quicker. He was still limited in his thinking and teachings to Luke. "Once down the dark path forever will it dominate your destiny." But clearly Windu was able to skirt the dark side and maintain his soul. Luke gave in to his rage, but then rejected the corruption. Jedi need to learn to live WITH the dark side, not deny it.

@fallschirmjager Hah! Indeed...

Avatar image for deactivated-5e385ee5c8c54
deactivated-5e385ee5c8c54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

in actual power yes dark side takes a big nasty dump on the light side, but in the end the dark side corrupts its users and they end up killing off each other or something greedy that will bring about their own downfall. so dark>light but light will win in the end lol

Avatar image for ssjdarthplagueis
SSJDarthPlagueis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Dark Side can achieve immortality like how Sidious can transfer himself into another body.

But yes the Dark Side is stronger.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DarthAznable

@ssjdarthplagueis: Force Ghosts are a form of immortality. They just don't have a physical body.

I think both equal each other. The light side will always prevail at some point. Granted their are saber techniques that draw on the darkside to power the person using it. It's hard to say lol

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i happen to think it is especially based on feats.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

No Caption Provided

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is VERY interesting I like :-)

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IIRC Lucas himself stated that the Dark Side was stronger.

silentbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hayzuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a tricky question. To those who are saying "It took one Sith to..." - That is how the dark side is strongest (1-2 sith). In the Old Republic, the Sith were defeated because they had so many (to those who know the lore, bare with me, since the defeat was pretty much a trick.). The dark side is strongest when there are 2 and only 2 Sith. The master and the apprentice, when the apprentice is ready, he/she kills the master and begins the search for a new apprentice. The Light side is less documented in terms of strength and power, but my personal theory is that the light side is based on individual talent or midi-chlorians. Whenever the Light side has someone who is strong in the force, they seem to be powerful than the dark side. Then there is the other end of that.

But in a nut shell, the dark side is stronger. It always takes some Hollywood magic for the Jedi to overcome the Sith.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, or else they wouldn't lose so much.

Hayzuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hayzuse

Also, as alluded to above - The Jedi are typically strongest in battle (force meditation and more numbers). The Sith are strongest when they are deceptive. For example: the Sith would corrupt one of the key Jedi warriors, causing conflict within, thus setting off a chain of events that cause the Jedi to lose the battle. I am at work right now, so i cant really elaborate further at the moment :/

Keep in mind, the dark side in Episodes 1-3 was kind of a facade. Up until the end of Ep.3, the dark side was trying to do nothing but deceive the Jedi order. That includes the death of Darth Maul and Dooku. It was all part of Sidious's plan.

Avatar image for annoyedimmortalspirit
AnnoyedImmortalSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, i think not.

Basically with the dark side you become stronger much faster, but it will corrupt you and you will lose in focus and skill, for raw power.

A master Jedi will never lose to any sith.

Hayzuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@annoyedimmortalspirit: Darth Revan**, Darth Bane, Sidious - All more powerful than any Jedi that ever existed. I asteriked Revan because he went back to the Light side. I did not include Vader on there because he was never strong enough to overcome his master (Sidious). Vader was an apprentice in every single on of the movies. I know Revan and Bane both faced Master Jedi one on one and both defeated the Jedi. I am not sure about Sidious because i have not read his book yet, but the fact that he just about destroyed the Jedi completely puts him up there. BONUS: Sidious's accomplishments wouldnt have been possible with out Bane's redirection of the Sith.

I personally disagree to "a master Jedi will never lose to any Sith." Qui-Gon Jin vs. Darth Maul - He had Obi-Wan and still lost. Anakin vs Dooku part 1 (It wasnt until Anakin started to channel his anger and hatred that he was able to defeat Dooku in part 2). Even Yoda vs Palpatine. That is just in the original saga, the list can be quite extensive if we go into the EU.

pikachumonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, there really is no difference.. Blame the Jedi for looking weak lol

silentbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ViperSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The Light Side and the Dark Side each have their strengths and weaknesses, so it's actually open to intepretation to which Side is truly stronger. But if you're asking which Side gives you more power, it's the Dark Side. However, like Antoine mentioned the Dark Side being short term benefit for you, the Dark Side is a drug. In many ways the Dark Side of the Force is a drug, it's very addictive, seductive and very tempting, and because of that, it is very easy to be seduced by it's tempting nature. But it's also very hard to resist because of it's addictive nature and being immersed in it for a long period of time comes with a heavy price and consequences That's what the Dark Side of the Force is like, it's a drug and Yoda has mentioned this before:

"The Dark Side of The Force are they. Easily they flow... Quick to join you in a fight. Beware, beware, beware of them. A heavy price is paid for the power they bring." - Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back Fourth Script Draft.

This is heavy price is called Dark Degradation which I will get to later but first, I must talk about something else first before I talk about Dark Side Degradation.

The Dark Side of the Force allowed the user to seize on their anger and hatred, those raw emotions are like an adrenaline boost that augments your physical attributes such as speed, strength and ferocity. Think of it in a real life scenario, when we get angry, we feel a huge adrenaline boost, we feel like we can break through a wall (but don't try it), but that adrenaline boost burns and smoulders out quickly, very difficult to gain control of. Rage and aggression can be useful, but without control, it can consume you, making you careless. An example of this happening in the Star Wars Universe is to Anakin Skywalker in his duel with Obi-Wan Kenobi on Mustafar, before their duel, Anakin was using rage and aggression in the Jedi Temple to kill the members of the Jedi Order, those raw emotions gave him power he never had before, which was first mentioned almost immediately after he turned to the Dark Side which Sidious felt and asked Anakin if he could feel his power growing.

"You have done well, my new apprentice. Do you feel your power growing?"

"Yes, my Master."

"Lord Vader, your skills are unmatched by any Sith before you. Go forth, my boy. Go forth, and bring peace to our Empire." - Revenge of the Sith Novel.

And Anakin's power continued growing over time, Anakin could feel his power growing when he was on Mustafar.

"Darth Vader stood on the command bridge of the Mustafar control center, hand of durasteel clasping hand of flesh behind him, and gazed up through the transparisteel view wall at the galaxy he would one day rule. He paid no attention to the litter of corpses around his feet. He could feel his power growing, indeed. " - Revenge of the Sith Novel.

And Star Wars Fact File 19 mentioned this.

"When Padmé Amidala landed on Mustafar, Darth Vader ran to meet her. Full of his new powers, he urged her to join him and take over the galaxy." - Star Wars Fact File 19

But when he fought Obi-Wan, Anakin kept on seizing on the power of the Dark Side to boost his rage, but there was so much power that Anakin couldn't control it, he was blinded by his own rage, Anakin's loss of control over his rage because of his over reliance on the Dark Side has been mentioned in different Sources:

"On Mustafar, the newly created Sith Lord Darth Vader attacks his former friend and Jedi Master, Obi-Wan Kenobi. Vader calls on the Dark Side to harness more power, but he overwhelmed by rage. Obi-Wan takes advantage of Darth Vader's weakness and defeats him." - Beware the Sith.

"It was Anakin's overconfidence, fuelled by the Dark Side, which led to his defeat. A mistimed leap over Obi-Wan allowed him to swiftly cut Anakin, leaving him disabled on the shore of a lava river." - Lightsabers: A Guide to the Weapons of the Force.

Anakin's loss of control over his rage got the point he was more determined to kill Obi-Wan than defend himself from Obi-Wan's point of view.

"In the end, he was more determined to kill me than defend himself, and was blinded with fury when I felled him." - Jedi vs Sith: Essential Guide to the Force.

Loading Video...

This happened because of how the Dark Side changed Anakin's behaviour and state of mind such as making him more aggressive, ruthless, violent etc. those personality traits Anakin received after turning to the Dark Side led to his defeat and it psychologically changed him to a very different person, the side effects on Anakin's turn to the Dark Side was losing control over his rage which was boosted by his growing power after relying on it for so long. This is similar to what drugs do to people depending on what type of drug it is, but the basic principal of a drug is that it is addictive and for a short while, the user will think the drug is helping them, but when they continue relying on the drug, the user will lose control over themselves and the drug will consume the user with devastating side effects. The side effects of drugs are depression, headaches, nightmares, insomnia (inability to sleep), fatigue (bad stamina) etc. But what are the side effects of using the Dark Side for so long? The side effects are known as Dark Side Degradation which I mentioned earlier, and now I will explain what that is. Dark Side Degradation is a physical transformation that happens to someone who immerses themselves deep within the Dark Side of the Force for a long period of time, those who immersed themselves deep within the Dark Side for a long period of time received different features, the most notable are yellow eyes, pale skin, accelerated aging, and a raspy voice that was low pitched. In the Darth Plagueis Novel, after receiving a lesson about how to use Force Lightning, Sidious asked Plagueis if he would be physical transformed, in which Plagueis responds by saying he would be physically transformed into an aged, pale skinned raspy voiced, yellow eyed monster. In fact Plagueis also mentioned some very extreme cases of Dark Side Degradation such as Darth Sion, Darth Nihilus and King Ommin.

“In order to summon and use lightning properly, you will someday have to be on the receiving end of its power, as a means of taking the energy inside yourself.”

Sidious watched the last of the brush fires burn out, then said, “Will I eventually be physically transformed?”

“Into some aged, pale-skinned, raspy-voiced, yellow-eyed monster, you mean. Such as the one you see before you.” Plagueis gestured to himself, then lowered himself to the ground. “Surely you are acquainted with the lore: King Ommin of Onderon, Darth Sion and Nihilus. But whether it will happen to you, I can’t say. Know this, though, Sidious, that the power of the Dark Side does not debilitate the practitioner as much as it debilitates those who lack it.” He grinned with evil purpose. “The power of the Dark Side is an illness no true Sith would wish to be cured of.” - Star Wars: Darth Plagueis

King Ommin is arguably the most extreme case of Dark Side Degradation. Ommin was a Sith Sorcer who's body was so deteriorated by the Dark Side that he couldn't walk and his body was weak and fragile, Ommin needed an exoskeleton to support his body and stay alive, this has been mentioned by the Spirit of Freedon Nadd who said to King Ommin that the Dark Side doesn't come without it's price and he has the power over the Force, but in exchange for that, he lost power of his body.

"The Dark Side does not come without its price, you have the power over the Force, but in exchange you have lost power over your own body." - Freedon Nadd's Spirit.

No Caption Provided

A case can be made for Darth Sidious as well who has been described as a black hole in the Force.

"And then there was Palpatine, of course: he was beyond power. He showed nothing of what might be within. Though seen with the eyes of the dark side itself, Palpatine was an event horizon. Beneath his entirely ordinary surface was absolute, perfect nothingness. Darkness beyond darkness. A black hole of the Force." - Revenge of the Sith Novel.

But I need address the subject of Sidious' deformed body. Many believe Sidious was deformed because in his duel with Mace Windu in Revenge of the Sith, when Sidious was disarmed and Windu said to him that he lost, Sidious was enraged because Windu taunted him and tried shooting Force Lightning at Windu. Whether Sidious was shooting Force Lightning at full capacity or not is debatable, his own Force Lightning backfired, but for the sake of turning Anakin to the Dark Side, he played possum, saying he was too weak to continue fighting and needed help, Anakin thought Sidious was actually asking for help and feared that if Sidious died, the secret of "saving Padme" would die with him. When Sidious killed Windu, he was deformed, but it wasn't a result of being electrocuted by his own Force Lightning, it only removed his Force mask to hide his true self from the Jedi and other people to avoid any unwanted attention. And when Sidious got up after Windu was killed, he didn't even seem to be in pain or shock which proves he wasn't actually harmed. And in the Revenge of the Sith Novel, when Sidious got up to see what happened to face in a mirror, he shrugged it off and didn't even care about what happened to his face and said "the mask becomes the man". Here's a quote from the Revenge of the Sith Novel:

"Palpatine examined the damage to his face in a broad expanse of wall mirror. Anakin couldn’t tell if his expression might be revulsion, or if this were merely the new shape of his features. Palpatine lifted one tentative hand to the misshapen horror that he now saw in the mirror, then simply shrugged.

“And so the mask becomes the man,” he sighed with a hint of philosophical melancholy. “I shall miss the face of Palpatine, I think; but for our purpose, the face of Sidious will serve. Yes, it will serve.” - Revenge of the Sith Novel.

No Caption Provided

And George Lucas had the exact same idea for Sidious, George had an idea that Sidious' deformed face was actually his true form and that Palpatine's face was a disguise. Ian Mcdermid who is the actor that plays the character said in an interview that George came up with this idea.

"Naturally, Lucas had a better way of summing up the relationship. "He said this casually, "You should think of Palpatine's eyes as contact lenses..." So there's Palpatine's eyes and my eyes and that was very interesting. So, in fact, his face, which is the same as mine, was the unreal aspect. My own face was the mask. And then when I get into the mask, that is the evil person - that's the real face." - Ian Mcdermid.

So basically, when Windu deflected Sidious' Force Lightning, it only removed his disguise and revealed his true form, that's what actually happened. Sidious was not harmed by his own Force Lightning. Any way let's get back to my original topic.

Like a drug, the Dark Side is an easy and quick way in, but it is very hard to resist the Dark Side and escape it's destructive nature, Drugs are easy to become addicted to, but it takes a lot of will power to get rid of this addiction because of withdrawal symptoms,the same can also be said for the Dark Side. In TCW, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Darth Maul had a conversation about the Dark Side, and the conversation they had contributes to the idea of the Dark Side being a Drug.

Obi-Wan Kenobi: You can kill me, but you will never destroy me. It takes strength to resist the Dark Side. Only the weak embrace it!

Darth Maul: It is more powerful than you know...

Obi-Wan Kenobi: And those who oppose it are more powerful than you'll ever be. I know where you're from, I've been to your village. I know the decision to join the Dark Side wasn't yours. The Nightsisters made it for you.

Loading Video...

That conversation was an emphasis on how difficult it is to resist the Dark Side. When Obi-Wan says it takes strength to resist the Dark Side, he speaking in a psychological viewpoint. And when he said those who oppose the Dark Side will be more powerful than those who embrace it, he was speaking in a psychological viewpoint there as well, not because if you pay attention to the context of that scene, Darth Maul was taunting Obi-Wan, saying that he should have chosen the Dark Side, but Obi-Wan says those who embrace the Dark Side lack psychological will power and are therefore weak. Embracing the Dark Side is an easy path, but resisting and abandoning it takes a lot of psychological will power, but those who embrace or can can't resist and abandon it are psychologically weak, that's what Obi-Wan meant when he said those who oppose the Dark Side will be more powerful than Maul would ever be. It was a psychological viewpoint, the same can be said for drugs. When someone uses drugs, they eventually receive something called withdrawal symptoms. How long it takes for them to receive this depends on the type of drug they are using and it varies, I'm no expert in the subject of Science, but the basic principal of withdrawal symptoms is when someone keeps using a certain drug that's addictive, let's say Nicotine that's found in Cigarettes for example because that is a perfect drug to represent the Dark Side because Nicotine is the substance in Cigarettes that makes it so addictive. When you don't smoke or try to quit smoking, your body goes through a process where you experience different withdrawal symptoms such as anxiety, restlessness, irritability, insomnia, headaches etc. Withdrawal symptoms is what makes it so difficult for someone to stop taking a certain drug, when you stop taking a drug, your body receives those symptoms because they are so reliant on the drug that they feel like they really need the drug to be satisfied, and attempting to quit smoking is dangerous and almost impossible, it takes an extremely high level of psychological will power to stop taking it, and even psychological will power isn't enough to quit, you also need medical help but I won't go on about what you need to stop smoking because that is irrelevant and I've talked about withdrawal symptoms long enough to summarise my point and I'm not an expert in Science.

The Dark Side of the Force is a lot like a drug, it's tempting, addictive, easy to be seduced by... But very difficult to abandon and in some cases, it's impossible. There only a few exceptions of people who have abandoned the Dark Side after being immersed in it for a long time, the most notable are Darth Vader and Galen Marek.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

and lol it took the entire jedi order with luke to bring down exar kun

It was not Exar Kun with Luke - just his ghost. And ~10 padawans of Luke took him down easily, lol.

Beast_mode999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I absolutley refused to read this lol

But in short the most powerful bei in the SWU did wield the Darkseid