Is surviving the heart of a Black Hole impressive?

kenshima15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kenshima15

If someone survives the heart of a Black Hole,where does that put their durability level at? Planet level durability? Star level? Solar system? etc

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#2 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Surviving the pressure of an object so dense it collapses space-time? Doesn't get much higher if you ask me.

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^^^

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dum529001

Surviving the pressure of an object so dense it collapses space-time? Doesn't get much higher if you ask me.

It doesn't collapse space or time.

kenshima15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jloneblackheart said:

I've had people say surviving it is an Unquantifiable feat...and try to dismiss it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read that a black hole's gravity would stretch a human out until they are merely a string of subatomic particles so pretty high, like above superman

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

@jloneblackheart said:

It doesn't collapse space or time.

this ^

kenshima15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So does surviving a Black hole mean one has above planetary durability? Could someone explain...please.

MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@dum529001: Space-time is one thing. A black hole collapses into an infinitely dense point called the singularity.

kenshima15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Patiently waiting for an answer...

Overmonitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Overmonitor

Gorr killed a God that "wrestled with Black Holes for fun" using the Necro Sword, for what it's worth. So it may not mean that much. There are certainly many beings in comics who survive black holes.

Gorr also wiped the floor with 3 Thors at once, including Old King Thor with Thor-Force, so he may not be a good standard to compare with.

The Mindless Ones used to mine neutron stars IIRC, pretty close to black holes, and they can be defeated by dudes like Nova and Drax.

Silver Surfer has created singularities on panel many times. I saw Ravenous survive one such attack in the new War of Kings, before Strontian, Gladiator's cousin or something, basically OHKO'ed him with her fists. She was doing more damage than Surfer did when he created a black hole on Ravenous' head. I honestly think at this point in the story Gladiator and Strontian could have tanked a black hole with ease.

Yet Nova headbutted Strontian and knocked her out in one hit because he has psychic dampeners and Strontians derive their powers from their minds, hence Gladiator's reliance on his mental confidence for power.

It's like a big game of rock, paper, scissors as far as durability goes. Just because you can survive a black hole doesn't mean you can survive a head-butt in different circumstances.

kenshima15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@overmonitor: Yeah but a durability scale...where does that put them? Can they survive a planet explosion? Solar System durability? etc

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's mostly unquantifiable.

What people are actually usually referring to when they mention the danger of black holes are tidal forces -- the forces that are responsible for "spaghettification". These forces are dependent on the mass of the object that created the black hole plus any object that fell into it. The strength of the force is scaled equivalent to the gravitational pull of the object as well. For example, if the earth became a black hole it would have the power of the earths mass and gravitational pull. However, the kicker is is that an approaching body would feel that pull at a greatly intensified level since the pull would be coming from a black hole the size of a bottle cap or so. now, I don't know exactly how to determine how much of the mass/pull each end of the object would experience but generally speaking, especially as far as battle forums are concerned, I think it's good enough to just assume it's uniform. So if a character resist a black hole made from our sun they resisted the pull of the sun.

As far as the singularity goes, that's where all the black holes mass is and any feat concerning it is unquantifiable imo. There's no way to quantify something with infinite density and zero volume. We can't even see past the event horizon so how are we supposed to know what happens when you reach the middle??

Overmonitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Overmonitor

@buttersdaman000: I have definitely replied to you before in another life. As far as I have learned in college level astrophysics classes, a black hole is formed once a certain amount of mass is inside of a certain area.

So, they say that some black holes are insanely small and dissapate almost instantly. There are also black holes the size of a galaxy that will dissapate in 15 trillion years. But all of them, beyond the event horizon, have infinite gravity. The mass of the black hole, or the object that formed it and the energy and mass it has absorbed may be different. That would affect the size of the even horizon.

But inside of that event horizon, a black hole of 1 stellar mass or a black hole with 1 million stellar mass, gravity is always the exact same, infinite, yet increases exponentially the closer you get to the singularity causing spaghettification. I can prove that the event horizon of any black hole signifies the point at which gravity is saturated (infinity) for two reasons; 1) because anything beyond the event horizon is unobservable and we could never verify gravity at any specific point beyond that point accurately anyways and 2) because the force needed to retain light is universal, the same no matter where you are, the event horizon signifies the point at which gravity is equal in any black hole no matter the mass.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: I have definitely replied to you before in another life. As far as I have learned in college level astrophysics classes, a black hole is formed once a certain amount of mass is inside of a certain area.

So, they say that some black holes are insanely small and dissapate almost instantly. There are also black holes the size of a galaxy that will dissapate in 15 trillion years. But all of them, beyond the even horizon, have infinite gravity. The mass of the black hole, or the object that formed it and the energy and mass it has absorbed may be different. That would affect the size of the even horizon.

But inside of that event horizon, a black hole of 1 stellar mass or a black hole with 1 million stellar mass, gravity is always the exact same, infinite, yet increases exponentially the closer you get to the singularity causing spaghettification. I can prove that the event horizon of any black hole signifies the point at which gravity is saturated (infinity) for two reasons; 1) because anything beyond the event horizon is unobservable and we could never verify gravity at any specific point beyond that point accurately anyways and 2) because the force needed to retain light is universal, the same no matter where you are, the event horizon signifies the point at which gravity is equal in any black hole no matter the mass.

Hm? Why do you say that?? lol

Well, I know that the event horizon, the size of the black hole, is dependent on the mass the black hole was formed from, but I don't agree that black holes have infinite gravity, at least until you reach the singularity. The reason being,

1. If the black hole had an infinite gravitational pull that would imply that it changes the mass/gravity of the object that formed it. For example, if our sun became a black hole, ignoring all the other issues, we would continue our normal orbit since the mass is still the same even though the size of the object once occupying that space is many times smaller. So, imo, it wouldn't make sense for gravity to be a constant regardless of the size of the black hole, until you reach the singularity where infinity must = infinity.

It's true that we can't see past the event horizon, but we do know how the physics work. The gravity may be insanely strong inside a black hole, but it not the only reason light is unable to escape. The two other reasons are that the escape velocity is faster than light and the black hole warps spacetime to such a degree that all directions actually point inwards so, theoretically speaking, even if an object did move faster than light it would just be getting nowhere quicker.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its impressive but at the same time black holes are sometimes used as plot devices for the purposes of a story so I think its hard to use surviving them as a definite showing of how durable a character is. Adam Warlock for instance survived and went through one back when he had a solo book. I don't think he was even considered that durable back then either. Him going through the black hole was necessary for the plot though so it happened.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

Straight up, it's unquantifiable - it's like saying "he took a sword that cuts space and time!" or "even people in hell felt his power!"

Impressive? yes, very much so. Helpful in a debate? No.

Simply see what the black hole in question was shown doing, and attach the same durability. Example, thanos survived one, which absorbed everything in a two lightyear radius.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By Stahlflamme

Realistically, yes. In comics and fiction in general many writers don't have enough of an idea of these things to say if a supernova, the centre of a sun or the heart of a black hole are more dangerous and all of it could be said to be extremely impressive but not quantifiable.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

for the most terrifying thing in the real world, they are quite unfathomable because nobody exactly knows what happens beyond its event horizon.

lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

yes

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Escaping a black hole is impressive. Depending on the distance, this would mean you are faster than light itself.

Durability wise, it depends. Even the smallest of black holes (one the density of Earth would be a cm in diameter) are really dense. So if someone were to survive one say, this size of a hand, that's basically like surviving the crushing force of 20 Earths all around you.

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much everyone does it in comics, so it's just fallen from the scale of impressive like planet lifting/busting

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MURPHHHHH

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dum529001

@jloneblackheart said:

@dum529001: Space-time is one thing. A black hole collapses into an infinitely dense point called the singularity.

Black holes are not infinitely dense.

And no, they do not have infinite gravity energy. Infinite gravity energy would not just suck things in with irresistible force, it would smash things together violently and cause endless destruction to every piece of matter in existence.

You can't contain something that is truly infinite.

Black holes have energy akin to stars though, so they can definitely destroy planets many times over.

MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@dum529001: A singularity, by definition, is an infinitely dense point. Theoretically.

A black hole can have different masses and thus different gravitational pull.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@jayc1324 said:

I read that a black hole's gravity would stretch a human out until they are merely a string of subatomic particles so pretty high, like above superman

Unless you mean consistently survive black holes, Superman's survived black holes as of the last year.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: As in he's actually been inside of a black hole and not just near it?

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jloneblackheart said:

Black holes are not infinitely dense.

And no, they do not have infinite gravity energy. Infinite gravity energy would not just suck things in with irresistible force, it would smash things together violently and cause endless destruction to every piece of matter in existence.

You can't contain something that is truly infinite.

Black holes have energy akin to stars though, so they can definitely destroy planets many times over.

For all intents and purposes the singularity is infinitely dense with supposed infinite gravity as well. When a mass is formed into a black hole it compresses upon itself over and over, lowering it's volume as a result. As the volume approaches zero (never reaches it), the density must approach increasingly large numbers -- infinity. In order to compress an object past the point where even it's molecules start feeling it, an immense amount of gravity -- an infinite amount, one could say -- is needed. However, the singularity is the one thing about a black hole where we do not have concrete mathematical proof to prove it since infinite quantities are usually a no no. But, it's the best and most accepted theory we have at the moment.

So, like others have said, surviving the heart of a black hole (the singularity) is unquantifiable because how do you survive something with infinite density, gravity, and no volume???

The only remotely quantifiable part is surviving it's tidal forces, holding one, or "escaping" one.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: Yeah, didn't you hear about the end of the Superman Doomed event and what happened after Superman came back? He got sucked into a black hole he opened with Brainiac's psionic powers (apparently a psionic can open a black hole, that's comic book logic for you). Anyway, he used Brainiac's power to open and close this black hole, ended up in a Convergence prequel, escaped from that and then flew halfway across the universe through several more black holes on his 2 month journey home. It's as OP and high end a feat as you get for Superman, but there's nothing to disprove it not happening.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I tried to stay as far away from Doomed as possible. That is an insane feat though if he's just flying through them casually like that. It sounds like the black holes were being used kind of like portals or wormholes but it is still impressive nonetheless.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: Good decision, it was a terrible cluttered mess of an event storyline, I can promise you as a Superman fan myself that you missed out on nothing by skipping Doomed. Anyway, whilst the black hole might have also been a wormhole, Clark states he flew through several on his way home whilst talking to Bruce at Wayne Manor. Surviving the one black hole that sucked him in is impressive enough, flying through several more light years away from Earth with limited access to a yellow star is even more ridiculous.

Supreme Cosmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is surviving the heart of a Black Hole impressive?

I think so. I would be quite impressed and proud of myself if I managed to do that, So should you

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yes.

Pilasy:La Voix d'un homme

Supreme Cosmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers