• 85 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by FiguredOut95 (379 posts) - - Show Bio

Title says it all, what do you think?

#2 Posted by RideASpaceCowboy (516 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say Superman is the single most worthy character to wield Mjolnir. Besides, if Wonder Woman was consider worthy of it in DC vs. Marvel Comics, then surely Superman is more worthy than her.

#3 Posted by BR_Havoc (1270 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Superman would be worthy of Mjolnir, he is the most selfless hero in comics and the symbol of hope for the whole DC Universe (well pre new 52).

Online
#4 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

not worthy. he is probably the greatest person in the world, but that's not what i see about it in terms of worthiness for Mjolnir. Wondie is totally worth it on the other hand

#5 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19998 posts) - - Show Bio

Supes is worthy. He's the most selfless character ever.and has even more will power then Hal jordan

#6 Posted by BlackWind (5511 posts) - - Show Bio

No he isn't. Selfless, yes. Noble, yes. But being good isn't good enough.

Willing to put others lives above the life of a villain and strike them down hard and fast without hesitation, hell no.

#7 Posted by FiguredOut95 (379 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for your comments :D

#8 Posted by joeagentofhand1 (4362 posts) - - Show Bio

He is worthy in terms of being selfless, but Thor is supposed to kill giants and such. That is one thing that Superman would never want to do.

#9 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

He should be more worthy than Thor.

#10 Posted by Freefa11 (2337 posts) - - Show Bio

To be perfectly honest, there are many instances where Thor himself doesn't seem particularly "worthy" to me, but then, it's not like we have a clear definition of what Asgardian worthiness is in the first place. We also don't have a huge library of heroes who have tried and failed to lift Mjolnir, that I am aware of, so it's hard to judge.

However, I know Captain America can lift it, and I generally view him as Marvel's counterpart to Superman (in terms of heroism, not power, obviously), so I think Superman should probably be able to lift it as well. Also, I think Masterson was able to lift it, and that guy was practically a buffoon, so if he can do it, Superman should definitely be able to.

Also, for what it's worth, in the JLA vs. Avengers cross-over (which was at least better written than Marvel vs. DC, and is theoretically canon to DC, but not Marvel, or something like that) Superman was indeed capable of wielding Mjolnir, and when Thor was going down, he actually gave Mjolnir to Superman deliberately, so that he could go forth and smite yon villain.

#11 Posted by FiguredOut95 (379 posts) - - Show Bio

@Freefa11: Awesome information man, thank you!!

#12 Posted by Pyrogram (35099 posts) - - Show Bio

@Freefa11: @FiguredOut95:

He GAVE it to him, it was not stated he was worthy.

#13 Posted by Squalleon (4143 posts) - - Show Bio

The Mjolnir can be lifted only by Thor!

Only in times of need someone else can wield it!

Superman would under the circumstances, like Cap could.

#14 Edited by Mr_Winchester (702 posts) - - Show Bio

@AllStarSuperman said:

Supes is worthy. He's the most selfless character ever.and has even more will power then Hal jordan

Doesn't matter. He's still lacking in other areas.

.@BlackWind said:

No he isn't. Selfless, yes. Noble, yes. But being good isn't good enough.

Willing to put others lives above the life of a villain and strike them down hard and fast without hesitation, hell no.

Yes.

@Jorgevy said:

not worthy. he is probably the greatest person in the world, but that's not what i see about it in terms of worthiness for Mjolnir. Wondie is totally worth it on the other hand

Yes again.

#15 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman lacks the Warrior's Spirit, unlike someone like Thor.  
 
But the thing is, it's Superman. He is so far beyond the greatest hero ever that no matter what a warrior's spirit may entail, Supes just has to be worthy. He has to be.

#16 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19998 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Superman lacks the Warrior's Spirit, unlike someone like Thor. But the thing is, it's Superman. He is so far beyond the greatest hero ever that no matter what a warrior's spirit may entail, Supes just has to be worthy. He has to be.

Yes

#17 Posted by iHailCarlo (94 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course Superman is worthy, he is the single Greatest Superhero of All Time.

#18 Posted by Pyrogram (35099 posts) - - Show Bio

@iHailCarlo said:

Of course Superman is worthy, he is the single Greatest Superhero of All Time.

I bet to differ but whatever I can't be asked.

#19 Edited by Dernman (14731 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman  already lifted the Hammer. Before anyone says anything. Yes it is cannon.

#20 Edited by Pyrogram (35099 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

Superman already lifted the Hammer. Before anyone says anything. Yes it is cannon.

But it was not beacuse of worthiness, Odin lifted the enchantment.

#21 Posted by Dernman (14731 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pyrogram said:

@Dernman said:

Superman already lifted the Hammer. Before anyone says anything. Yes it is cannon.

But it was not beacuse of worthiness, Odin lifted the enchantment.

Show me where he lifted the enchantment. Odin wasn't even there to do it.
#22 Posted by Pyrogram (35099 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

@Pyrogram said:

@Dernman said:

Superman already lifted the Hammer. Before anyone says anything. Yes it is cannon.

But it was not beacuse of worthiness, Odin lifted the enchantment.

Show me where he lifted the enchantment. Odin wasn't even there to do it.

#23 Posted by Dernman (14731 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pyrogram said:

@Dernman said:

@Pyrogram said:

@Dernman said:

Superman already lifted the Hammer. Before anyone says anything. Yes it is cannon.

But it was not beacuse of worthiness, Odin lifted the enchantment.

Show me where he lifted the enchantment. Odin wasn't even there to do it.

The scan did not say Odin lifted the enchantment. It says in desperate times the worthies are allowed to overcome the enchantment. Meaning it was one of the other enchantments placed on the hammer that allowed him to do so.
#24 Posted by Pyrogram (35099 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman: Splitting hairs.

#25 Posted by Dernman (14731 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pyrogram: Not really. One is talking about the Enchantments and rules of what they allow. The other is outside interference of Odin when picking up the hammer to get around those rules. 
One suggests there are times he is worthy and the other suggests there isn't.
#26 Posted by Pyrogram (35099 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman: This shows he is not worthy, Thor is stating that only in times of need the enchantment can turn off. But normally superman cannot lift it. No disputing that.

#27 Posted by Dernman (14731 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pyrogram said:

@Dernman: This shows he is not worthy, Thor is stating that only in times of need the enchantment can turn off. But normally superman cannot lift it. No disputing that.

What it show that at times he is worthy within the rules of the enchantment. There is a difference from not at all. If he wasn't worthy the enchantments wouldn't have opened up for him. 
Hence Thor saying a very few worthies. Is he Thor worthy? No but he is Worthy at times. 
#28 Posted by TheCannon (17905 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by TheCannon (17905 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman: JLA/Avengers is non canon (unfortunately).

#30 Edited by Dernman (14731 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCannon: It is cannon. In Green Lantern they continued the story of Krona being trapped in the cosmic egg that happened in the crossover. Photon also had on her Marvel Bio I forget where about her manipulating Kyles GL light. There where more things but I'm having trouble remembering them right now. 
 
I did some searching and Kurt Busiek said on CBR

It's been referred to in the Official Handbooks as in continuity, but not yet in any actual stories, as far as I know.

kdb
and   

 Originally Posted by Hulk_Is 
Yeah, I was just thinkin' that after I read Mr. Busiek's post. It's probably like trying not to step on a crack just trying to tell something interesting and with without using the other companies' likenesses.
If you take a look at JLA: SYNDICATE RULES and TRINITY, you'll see that it's pretty easy.

Well, "interesting" is in the eye of the beholder, of course. But referring to the events of JLA/AVENGERS without naming or showing Marvel characters was not difficult at all.

kdb
#31 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

I would think that he would. Superman is a warrior just like thor but in a different way. Being a warrior doesnt mean that you have to run around in armor with a big heavy sword and kill people.

#32 Posted by Pyrogram (35099 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

@Pyrogram said:

@Dernman: This shows he is not worthy, Thor is stating that only in times of need the enchantment can turn off. But normally superman cannot lift it. No disputing that.

What it show that at times he is worthy within the rules of the enchantment. There is a difference from not at all. If he wasn't worthy the enchantments wouldn't have opened up for him. Hence Thor saying a very few worthies. Is he Thor worthy? No but he is Worthy at times.

No... it shows the enchantment was off. stop over analyzing. He cannot be unworthy in a matter of seconds...

#33 Posted by ArticulateT (189 posts) - - Show Bio

While Superman is a good fighter and a good person, he doesn't have the mind of a Warrior like Thor, but Wonder Woman, being an Amazon, has a warrior's mentality. I agree with that a warrior is more than his sword and shield, but I don't think Superman is of that mindset either.

#34 Posted by Dernman (14731 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pyrogram said:

@Dernman said:

@Pyrogram said:

@Dernman: This shows he is not worthy, Thor is stating that only in times of need the enchantment can turn off. But normally superman cannot lift it. No disputing that.

What it show that at times he is worthy within the rules of the enchantment. There is a difference from not at all. If he wasn't worthy the enchantments wouldn't have opened up for him. Hence Thor saying a very few worthies. Is he Thor worthy? No but he is Worthy at times.

No... it shows the enchantment was off. stop over analyzing. He cannot be unworthy in a matter of seconds...

SIgh It not over analyzing it right there plain to see and it had nothing to do with time or seconds. 
Thor flat or stated that in desperate time Worthies have been able to overcome the enchantment. 
The only thing that could have allowed him is the Hammer. Why? Cause like Thor said he is one of a few worthy. 
 
Did Thor call him worthy? yes  
Did he pick up the Hammer at one point? yes 
Did he fail to pick up the Hammer at another? yes 
Was there any evidence that anyone interfered with the hammer? no 
Did Thor say what he said? yes 
Is Superman worthy enough to pick up the Hammer? The only logical answer is yes in desperate times
#35 Posted by Pyrogram (35099 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman:

Thor did not call him worthy.

The enchantment was not in affect.

He failed as he is not worthy.

No, the enchantment is constantly interfering and thor basically said Odin lifted it, not the hammer decided.

No, he is not worthy as he could not under normal circumstances as shown above...

#36 Posted by Dernman (14731 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pyrogram:  

Thor did not call him worthy.

Yes he did. When he said a very few worthies allowed to overcome the enchantment. 

The enchantment was not in affect.

It was overcome it wasn't shut off. What let him overcome it? The hammer

He failed as he is not worthy.

He succeeded. He is at desperate times. 

No, the enchantment is constantly interfering and thor basically said Odin lifted it, not the hammer decided.

No the enchantment is the rule. Whatever is does is not interfering but following the rules. No Thor did not say Odin lifted it. Thor said his father is stern not stupid. A few worthies have been allowed to life it in desperate times. Odin wasn't there and there was no evidence that says otherwise. The only logical conclusion is it was part of the enchantments when Odin first set it up. So yes it was the hammer.  

No, he is not worthy as he could not under normal circumstances as shown above...


Yes he is in desperate times hence why he was able to pick it up and like Thor said as shown above.....
#37 Posted by Pyrogram (35099 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman: In normal times he cannot, so he is not worthy to carry it when he pleases, unlike Captain America.

#38 Posted by kuma_far (510 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman did lift the hammer, he was deemed worthy by it, Thor was explaining that the spell itself allows others than Thor to lift it rather than saying that Odin just decided to remove the enchantment.

#39 Posted by Dernman (14731 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pyrogram said:

@Dernman: In normal times he cannot, so he is not worthy to carry it when he pleases, unlike Captain America.

How many times do i have to repeat myself? I said he is worthy in desperate times. Show me where I said Superman can pick it up anytime he feels like it. Also no Captain America is not able to pick it up anytime he wants too. Only in desperate times. IIRC he has failed outside of desperate times.
#40 Edited by Dark_Vengeance_ (14587 posts) - - Show Bio

@iHailCarlo said:

Of course Superman is worthy, he is the single Greatest Superhero of All Time.

I don't see him a bat-symbol on him.

#41 Posted by Overkill (404 posts) - - Show Bio

If he's not, no one is.

#42 Edited by Pyrogram (35099 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

@Pyrogram said:

@Dernman: In normal times he cannot, so he is not worthy to carry it when he pleases, unlike Captain America.

How many times do i have to repeat myself? I said he is worthy in desperate times. Show me where I said Superman can pick it up anytime he feels like it. Also no Captain America is not able to pick it up anytime he wants too. Only in desperate times. IIRC he has failed outside of desperate times.

This thread is not can he pick it up in desperate times. It is can he lift it, no.. Not normally.

And the reason Cap can is beacuse he is not like superman and ONLY picks it up in desperate times, unlike superman who tried for no reason. - Captain is worthy whenever, But he does not attempt beacuse that's who he is.

#43 Posted by Dernman (14731 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pyrogram said:

@Dernman said:

@Pyrogram said:

@Dernman: In normal times he cannot, so he is not worthy to carry it when he pleases, unlike Captain America.

How many times do i have to repeat myself? I said he is worthy in desperate times. Show me where I said Superman can pick it up anytime he feels like it. Also no Captain America is not able to pick it up anytime he wants too. Only in desperate times. IIRC he has failed outside of desperate times.

This thread is not can he pick it up in desperate times. It is can he lift it, no.. Not normally.

And the reason Cap can is beacuse he is not like superman and ONLY picks it up in desperate times, unlike superman who tried for no reason. - Captain is worthy whenever, But he does not attempt beacuse that's who he is.

No 
The title says 
"Is Superman worthy of holding Mjolnir?" 
The OP says 
"Title says it all, what do you think?"   
Not only did he not  specify or put any conditions on it  but it asked for what we thought making it an open question.  
So I told him what I thought and Superman did in fact lift the hammer.  
 
THis isn't about Cap it's about Superman and Cap being able to or not being able to has nothing to do with Superman. Don't make this a Superman vs Cap thing.Also Superman did have a reason to try and pick it up. (Now I'm really questioning you if you're just messing with me or not) Like I said Cap can't pick it up anytime time he wants too. Show me the evidence other then? IIRC he has failed but even without the scans he only picked it up twice and both times where in desperate situations.
#44 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

No he isn't worthy and the crossover wasn't cannon.

#45 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope..

#46 Posted by Dernman (14731 posts) - - Show Bio
@gravitypress said:

No he isn't worthy and the crossover wasn't cannon.

Yeah it was. If it wasn't DC wouldn't have continued the story and Marvel wouldn't have had it in their Handbook.
#47 Posted by MandoViking (347 posts) - - Show Bio

It seems to me that while Superman is just worthy enough to wield it in desperate situations, he lacks a warrior spirit (something that the Asgardians may consider part of being worthy) that allows people like Thor and Beta-Ray Bill to wield it constantly.

#48 Posted by batkevin74 (10413 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon said:

The Mjolnir can be lifted only by Thor!

Only in times of need someone else can wield it!

Superman would under the circumstances, like Cap could.

#49 Posted by Z3RO180 (6307 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes and No

#50 Posted by Squalleon (4143 posts) - - Show Bio

@batkevin74 said:

@Squalleon said:

The Mjolnir can be lifted only by Thor!

Only in times of need someone else can wield it!

Superman would under the circumstances, like Cap could.

your point being?