• 122 results
Tradog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Tradog

I say no and heres why Superman is not a god because, no matter what powers he has. Historically, Gods have always been creators. They have always been able to act outside human reality to create something new. Superman acts within the same laws reality that everyone else in the DCU has to obey, making him not a god.But he keep discovering new powers ALL THE TIME... I mean, the Superman of the past and the Superman of now are two very different characters. Superman of 10 years ago didn't know that he could die and come back. for example. (Jesus?) What if he discovers he can create things? I mean, is it that far fetched? Is it, in all actuallity, from what we've seen this character go through, that impossible? Actually Superman is traditionally interpretted as a prophet or savior and not as a GOD! So I don't think its a good thing when everyone is predicting that in the next 30years he will have the power to create, alter the fabric of time and space etc...this is just wrong.Mythologically, plenty of gods from several pantheons exhibit even less in terms of power and intellect than Superman. All a god has to be is extremely powerful or gifted beyond any human in a certain field of expertise. They also have to be born via other deities, so, in definitive terms, no, Superman can't really be a god.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By lordraiden

No, but he can become one, like superman Prime One Million ;-)

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By warlock360

Superman Prime One Million = Superman from the distant future = One and the same person = No god = NO!

Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hadrelius

As Thor told Nefaria: godhood isn't a mantel claimed by power but by birthright.

There are many characters that can beat gods, but gods are more of a race or species than a title.

Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Calvin

I see no moderator have posted anything here, so:

this topic should have been posted at Superman's forum!
sorry,  just kiding!

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Yep, this should be in the Superman forum for future reference

loveNwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By loveNwar

He's not, nor would it make sense to make one out of him. Simply because he's not unique, he's just an alien who happens to benefict from our Sun. Period! If his race had all moved here before the explosion, then they would ALL be gods. Imagine that, a god for each human. Lol.
Plus: His existence doesn't stand for any particular institution. He is not immortal. And he didn't earn his powers, he was a protected child sent directly to a place that could give him powers.

I don't see him fit any of the requirements.

Avatar image for alexander_anderson
Alexander Anderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

No.  He's just a flying brick.  Massive strength and painstakingly sculpted hair do not a god make.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AtPhantom

God? no.

Now Superman prime one million, he could be a god.

Avatar image for the_man_of_yesteryear
The Man of Yesteryear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Tradog said:
What if he discovers he can create things? I mean, is it that far fetched? Is it, in all actuallity, from what we've seen this character go through, that impossible?
Creating life:
No Caption Provided
speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By speedlgt

for all intent and purpose he basically is....I mean consider thats hes greater than more than half the greek  and norse gods than yes. Of course hes not a god in title nor race but he may as well be.....yet than again there is that man part to his name which is a constant reference to his humanity despite his alien nature

Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Calvin

Both loveNwar and AtPhantom have good points...

At the moment there are 100 000 kryptonian on the DCU, so no, Superman is not that unique

The Superman Prime from One Million on another hand.... You wont just mess with him!

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for the_man_of_yesteryear
The Man of Yesteryear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AtPhantom
loveNwar said:
"He's not, nor would it make sense to make one out of him. Simply because he's not unique, he's just an alien who happens to benefict from our Sun. Period! If his race had all moved here before the explosion, then they would ALL be gods. Imagine that, a god for each human. Lol.
Plus: His existence doesn't stand for any particular institution. He is not immortal. And he didn't earn his powers, he was a protected child sent directly to a place that could give him powers.

I don't see him fit any of the requirements.
"
While I agree about him not being unique in the least, I would dispute the rest of your argument.

His existence can stand for something. Superman is a symbol of truth, justice, hope and all that is best in us. He may not have been born as a symbol, but hey, Zeus wasn't born as the king of gods either.

He is in fact immortal.

So what if he was born with his powers? No god started of as a mortal and the rose to divinity. And I would argue that he did quite earn his powers through the years of doing good to humanity.
Tradog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Tradog

thanks all you guys cuz the reason i made this is because i was arguing with somebody on a superman vs debate and you know how alot of HUGE supes fans get the guy was saying he would rather not have water or anything and superman was perfect and cant be beaten i tryed to tell him superman isnt as strong as you think then he goes on saying ''wont you admit that superman is perfect and cant be beat?''
then goes on saying superman is god no one can beat him as much as evryone  tryd to tell him he wouldnt listen so i thought id get some facts from the exsperts thanks guys.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By King_Saturn  Online
Superman isnt a God... but he has powers like a God
AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AtPhantom

But now that I think about it, it isn't too far-fetched to consider Superman into a god.

Think about it,  DC always strived to turn Superman into a symbol of something.
And this is what a God primarily is. It is a symbol, an embodiment of some concept, whether it is justice, hope, cosmos, light, evil, war etc.

In that sense, we could consider Superman a modern god. He is a being sent from far away to protect us. Though he is not one of us and could easily crush us with his power, he chooses instead to protect us and to believe in the good in every man.

Superman falls into the category of supernatural protectors which apear in every myhtology in the world, going from Horus, Vishnu, Hercules, Thor and Mitras , right down to Archangel Michael.

Looking like that, we could consider the 70 years of character history as his mythology, and when you look at it that way, it doesn't differ much from the stories the Greeks made about Heracles. Just like we make up and fascinate ourselves with stories about superheroes, so did the ancients create stories about their Gods. Though we now live in an age where everything is explained by science and empyrical thinking, and even though we no longer believe in our stories like old nations did, we are still no less fascinated by supernatural stories, concepts and characters. In fact, I'd say we're even more fascinated.

Looking like that, I would consider Superman a god of the modern age. We may not believe in him, but he is still a symbol of our civilisation like Gods were symbols in the ancient times.

With that said, I would love to see a someone like Neil Gaiman or Grant Morrison make a comic where our superheroes are in fact gods. I imagine it as a pantheon centering around Superman and Batman as two opposing deities, a sort of Yin and Yang, and then have other superheroes fill in the roles of lesser gods. I think Superman Prime One Million and Trinity come pretty close to that idea (even though Trinity sucks).

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By Nighthunter

In All Stars Superman, Clark created life and a mini universe just for an experiment

I've always loved the idea that people see Superman as a god, not only because of his powers but also because he is so good, so great that the only thing that can be compared in that area is a merciful god

Avatar image for secret_turchin_man
Secret Turchin Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No he isn't. He is really, really Lame however. Hey look at me !!! I have 8,000,000 superpowers. Lame.

G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By G'bandit

No, Superman is cryptonia and is a nice guy with human weaknesses like fear of commitment and scare of not shaking enough and staining his pants....... :P

He is just really strong that's all XD

Tradog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Tradog

a fanboy said this ''

Superman is a God, with all the powers he has. Historically, Gods have always been creators, but not facts. Superman have always been able to act outside the realm of the perception of reality and Superman has create something new, thus he is a God. He has broken time and space, alter reality with ease. Superman acts outside the boundaries of the laws of reality just like all the God, making him a God. Superman powers are infinite. Superman never dies because he is a God. Superman isn't Jesus. Superman has done the impossible because Superman is the best, he is perfect. Superman is interpretted as a savior, but in reality also a God. Superman already has the power to create, handle time and space, and alter reality. This is Superman. Mythologically aren't facts. Gods' powers are infinite to all. Just like Superman's, thus he is a God.

Superman is God-like to the human eyes, but in reality he is God. Superman is the strongest hero in the universe, dimension, heaven, hell, and all of the time zones, past, present, and future. Superman is the best. Thus Superman is a God.''

what can you say to that?
LubeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LubeMan
Tradog said:
"a fanboy said this ''
Superman is a God, with all the powers he has. Historically, Gods have always been creators, but not facts. Superman have always been able to act outside the realm of the perception of reality and Superman has create something new, thus he is a God. He has broken time and space, alter reality with ease. Superman acts outside the boundaries of the laws of reality just like all the God, making him a God. Superman powers are infinite. Superman never dies because he is a God. Superman isn't Jesus. Superman has done the impossible because Superman is the best, he is perfect. Superman is interpretted as a savior, but in reality also a God. Superman already has the power to create, handle time and space, and alter reality. This is Superman. Mythologically aren't facts. Gods' powers are infinite to all. Just like Superman's, thus he is a God.

Superman is God-like to the human eyes, but in reality he is God. Superman is the strongest hero in the universe, dimension, heaven, hell, and all of the time zones, past, present, and future. Superman is the best. Thus Superman is a God.''

what can you say to that?
"

Halleluja, brother! Amen.

P.S. Just kidding :-)
Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Calvin
Nighthunter said:
"In All Stars Superman, Clark created life and a mini universe just for an experiment"
That was weird, did you see the quy at that universe creatting the golden age superman?
AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AtPhantom
Calvin said:
"Nighthunter said:
"In All Stars Superman, Clark created life and a mini universe just for an experiment"
That was weird, did you see the quy at that universe creatting the golden age superman?
"
It was supposed to be the real world. Classic Grant Morrison metafiction.
Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Calvin

Yes that was the weird about it!! It was like he was creating our universe!?!

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26  Edited By Nighthunter
Calvin said:
"Nighthunter said:
"
The Joe Schuster tribute? loved that scene

"Every world needs their Superman, if they don't have one they'll create one to have a model of the best they can aspire to be"-Nighthunter
Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Most of his feats surpass many lesser gods in religion

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think of him as a Sun God, and always refer to him as that.

@nerx said:

Most of his feats surpass many lesser gods in religion

And this.

He's not actually a God, obviously, but he's close enough in the end. Especially when other Gods like Marvel's Thor have strength and durability feats that are comparable.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greatcaesarsghost: People ought to worship him dangit

he should show up in a church/mosque/synagogue and force people to abandon their faiths

Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my views...a god and a superhero are one in the same.

Your time frame depends on whether you were/are called a god or a superhero.

Just like Charlize Theron says in Hancock...they used to call us gods and angels...now they call us superheroes.

Therefore...being labeled a god doesn't automatically make you stronger than a superhero.

That's how I view it all.

GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx said:

@greatcaesarsghost: People ought to worship him dangit

he should show up in a church/mosque/synagogue and force people to abandon their faiths

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_XMPh28LDNJ0/SJhnWpX8D8I/AAAAAAAACpw/_hO-rgPfhc0/s400/king.jpg

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Nerx
dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By dernman

The answer is in his name Superman.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

of course not.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He ought to burn bibles/korans/torahs

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 the_stegman  Moderator

No, he's an alien.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's a messianic figure - but I don't think he's a god. I think Mark Waid puts it best:

"Gods achieve their power by having people believe in them. Superman achieves his power by believing in people".

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#38  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@veshark said:

He's a messianic figure - but I don't think he's a god. I think Mark Waid puts it best:

"Gods achieve their power by having people believe in them. Superman achieves his power by believing in people".

NAILED IT!

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Nerx

@veshark: People believe in the S

No, he's an alien.

Any gods in major religion that explicitly got born on earth?

they aliens too

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx

Yes, but unlike religious gods, Superman does not need their worship for his (not physical, but emotional) strength. His strength comes from the belief that humanity is capable of great good - and that they are worth fighting for and saving.

As Superman himself puts it, "They believe in me. And in my heart, I believe in them."

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Nerx

@veshark: Believing in them that believes in him

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx

...I think you're missing the point.

@nerx said:

@the_stegman said:

No, he's an alien.

Any gods in major religion that explicitly got born on earth?

they aliens too

Jesus Christ? Not to get into semantics, but I don't think gods would be aliens. Aliens imply they're extraterrestials from another planet, gods are from different realms and universes altogether.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@veshark said:

Ten points to Gryffindor

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Superman who merged with the sun is (Superman Prime or Superman One Million, or Kingdom Come Superman (who is immune to Kryptonite and lives for 1000 years to see the LOSH)

Or

No Caption Provided

Though New Earth Superman is basically a god. He's beaten the likes of: Doomsday, Darkseid, Metallo, Luthor, Zod, Savage, Lobo, Braniac, Toyman, Bizarro, Mongul, Grundy, Parasite, Superboy-Prime

PCN24454

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are a lot of Superman stories made specifically to show that despite all of his powers, he can't solve all of the problems in the world.

GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pcn24454 said:

There are a lot of Superman stories made specifically to show that despite all of his powers, he can't solve all of the problems in the world.

Neither could the Greek Gods. Let's not look at the word God in a Monotheistic style, and more of a Polytheistic one. Superman gained "Godhood" through the sacrifice of his old world and drew strength from the sun of the new one. Seems like a God to me.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#49 JediXMan  Moderator

I believe Kal-El is a demigod; descendent of one of the gods of Krypton.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#50  Edited By Billy Batson

Human beings in a mob

What’s a mob to a king?

What’s a king to a god?

What’s a god to a non-believer?

BB