#1 Posted by lorbo (1541 posts) - - Show Bio

Would super strength really allow superheroes to jump higher or not? Real world science here.

What are the bare minimum powers you need to average superhero stuff? 4 powers only.

#2 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

1. Super Strength
  2. Super Speed
  3. Flight
  4. Enhanced Durability

Or you could just be like Street Levelers

#3 Posted by Mortein (3313 posts) - - Show Bio

@lorbo said:

Would super strength really allow superheroes to jump higher or not? Real world science here.

What are the bare minimum powers you need to average superhero stuff? 4 powers only.

If you had super strength your body would feel very light, so you could jump much higher than normal people do.

#4 Posted by Yuri_Omega (107 posts) - - Show Bio

Superstrength and the ability to turn the ground strong enough to not crumble beneath your force.

#5 Posted by Z3RO180 (6709 posts) - - Show Bio

@lorbo: well you woudent just have strength you would have durability and speed due to you muscels but that all depends on the kind of stength you have.

#6 Posted by Pyrogram (41269 posts) - - Show Bio

If you exert enough force to jump higher you would obviously jump higher, in real life training your leg muscles to jump higher means they put out more force, so superstrength means that more force is put = higher jumping.

#7 Posted by Dredeuced (5835 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, but since you don't have super durability your legs would shoot out your spine when you landed.

#8 Posted by lorbo (1541 posts) - - Show Bio

I would think the ground would crumble so much that how high you jump would be limited. My four powers would be:

1. Enhanced Durability: Bullets and knives bounce off me. I am not invulnerable.

2. Can fall in any direction. To change directions I stop in midair before falling whatever direction I want.

3.Ability to lift 10 tons.

4. Ability to increase my body mass to ten tons at will.

#9 Posted by Fortified_Hooligan (1982 posts) - - Show Bio

real world super strength would be a lot different than depicted in movies and comics. Think of The Thing in F4 movie stopping the fire truck with shoulder ram. No matter how strong thing is, he doesn't have the mass to perform that move. instead, say he puts out his hands to stop truck, his arms would remain locked because of his strength, but with nothing to push back against, no tracktion, he will just get bowled into the vehicles and stuff behind him until those vehicles stop the truck with their mass. Thing's arms never bend because of his strength, but he can't stop the truck that way. Nor could anyone stand next to a car, grab it and throw it side-arm. They would just end up moving their own body, since it is far less massive, rather than moving the car. Ever see a free runner do the human-flag move? That's the hulk trying to throw a tank in real life. To really throw a tank he'd have to lift an edge strait up, climb under it to the center of mass, and then he'd be able to throw it, having traction, and possesion of the center of masss. But it would be a pretty slow toss in order to maintain hold of the thing. Hulk would also have difficulty maintaining control of items with less mass, like a car. His tremendous strength would in most cases shred the car to pieces rather than give it a good toss. Walking would be an issue. Know how you tap the bottom of a balloon and it goes flying? Hulk's body is the balloon, moving his legs is the tapping.Hulk can lift WAY more than the mere 1000 pounds or so that he weighs, so Hulk newly transformed would probably look more like qwop on a trampoline than the movie hulk. at least for a few minutes. The biggest problem a super strengther like hulk has to overcome is lack of traction to pull of movie and comic moves. Hancock and Superman could still pull off their super strength feats in real life (disregarding the frangibility of objects they move) because they have a permanent anchor from which to execute their strength feats by way of super powered flight. Hulk can only execute his maximum strength feats lifting strait up, because in any other direction he's more likely to move his own body than whatever super-heavy thing he's trying to move. Superman can anchor his body with the power of his flight and execute full strength moves in any direction. He has superior traction.

#10 Posted by Pyrogram (41269 posts) - - Show Bio

@Fortified_Hooligan: Your post makes sense but the physics are not thought out, You forget muscles give a certain force and Hulk if enough was given COULD lift a tank, it is the same principle as lifting weights..

#11 Posted by Fortified_Hooligan (1982 posts) - - Show Bio

super strength also implies correspondingly enhanced durability. What would it mean to be able to lift a car, but to have muslces that fracture at normal human levels? You would turn into hamburger any time you tried to move something heavy, as your muscles would collapse your skeleton far before you did much work. So in order to really have enough strength to lift heavy objects your body must necessarily be able to endure the super-levels of strain and abuse. If you can THROW a ten ton punch, you can TAKE a ten ton punch. To elaborate on hulk's traction problem. Think of a car stuck in the snow. if you shovel down to the cement and get good traction you can usually shove the car to get it un-stuck. Well, hulk's legs are so powerful that almost anything he stands on will be like slush under his feet if he's trying to move something. He should be fine pushing things like cars and a bit heavier, but when things get too heavy he'll dig holes in the cement before he moves the heavy objects. We'd have to do some math to figure out what the breaking limit of the cement is and put a weight limit on the kinds of things he can effectively move. Let me rephrase that, Hulk can still move things that are extremely heavy, but he'll make one hell of a mess doing it, and it would be a giant pain in the ass to do, rather than the neat, quickly executed moves he does in comics and movies.

#12 Posted by Mercy_ (91871 posts) - - Show Bio

This is not a battle.

#13 Posted by Fortified_Hooligan (1982 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk can lift the tank, certainly. I said he'd be able to throw it too. What i mean to say is that he couldn't stand next to it and twirl it around like in 03 hulk movie. If he tried to pull it he'd move his own body before the tank moved just because of the mass disparity. Hulk needs something to push against to move massive objects. Sandy desert ground would be no good. For hulk to lift the tank he'd have to get under it. lift an edge, walk toward teh center while lifting it up. Most heavy objects would break under the strain of being lifted. Superman trying to slow down a falling plane by pushing on the wing is a terrible idea. Plane wing is gone in moments. He shuoldn't be able to stop it by pushing against the nose cone either, as that is not a load bearing structure. he'd punch right through it.

#14 Posted by All_Mighty_Beyonder (1724 posts) - - Show Bio

@Fortified_Hooligan said:

real world super strength would be a lot different than depicted in movies and comics. Think of The Thing in F4 movie stopping the fire truck with shoulder ram. No matter how strong thing is, he doesn't have the mass to perform that move. instead, say he puts out his hands to stop truck, his arms would remain locked because of his strength, but with nothing to push back against, no tracktion, he will just get bowled into the vehicles and stuff behind him until those vehicles stop the truck with their mass. Thing's arms never bend because of his strength, but he can't stop the truck that way. Nor could anyone stand next to a car, grab it and throw it side-arm. They would just end up moving their own body, since it is far less massive, rather than moving the car. Ever see a free runner do the human-flag move? That's the hulk trying to throw a tank in real life. To really throw a tank he'd have to lift an edge strait up, climb under it to the center of mass, and then he'd be able to throw it, having traction, and possesion of the center of masss. But it would be a pretty slow toss in order to maintain hold of the thing. Hulk would also have difficulty maintaining control of items with less mass, like a car. His tremendous strength would in most cases shred the car to pieces rather than give it a good toss. Walking would be an issue. Know how you tap the bottom of a balloon and it goes flying? Hulk's body is the balloon, moving his legs is the tapping.Hulk can lift WAY more than the mere 1000 pounds or so that he weighs, so Hulk newly transformed would probably look more like qwop on a trampoline than the movie hulk. at least for a few minutes. The biggest problem a super strengther like hulk has to overcome is lack of traction to pull of movie and comic moves. Hancock and Superman could still pull off their super strength feats in real life (disregarding the frangibility of objects they move) because they have a permanent anchor from which to execute their strength feats by way of super powered flight. Hulk can only execute his maximum strength feats lifting strait up, because in any other direction he's more likely to move his own body than whatever super-heavy thing he's trying to move. Superman can anchor his body with the power of his flight and execute full strength moves in any direction. He has superior traction.

that's why i think of telekinesis as the most consistent physical power.

#15 Posted by SlimJ87D (10729 posts) - - Show Bio

@lorbo: Your question is pretty difficult to answer as it really depends on what gives you your super strength. Are we talking about enhancing genetics? Or if you had some kind of magic aura that is making you stronger?

Genetically, this is the way I see it. Strength, durability and speed are directly related. The stronger someone is the faster they can be. You need strong muscles, bones, and everything. For now lets just assume strength and durability are directly related linearly. The more super strength you have the equal amount of durability you gain.

Strength and speed. I think of strength as a tier system.

Strength level 1: Allows speed level 1 through 4. At some point you will have a bottleneck to get to speed level 5.

Strength level 2: Allows speed level 5 through 8.

Now lets say you had telekineses, magic or a robotic suit like Ironman that boosted your strength. This doesn't necessarily mean your speed can increase. This is equal to someone just wearing a muscle suit that makes them stronger. It's like a more slim support suit. For speed to be added to these, I liked Halo's approach where the person in the suit has to be slightly enhanced as well. Any normal person that wore the Spartan suit would break their bones and jones because it accelerated too quickly.

There's not much I can really add, @Fortified_Hooligan: did a pretty good job at comparing different characters. Although I would like to add that the Hulk should be able to stop a high speeding big rig if he punched it with an equal or more amount of force. But if his body doesn't absorb all the impulses forces he should be thrown back a little bit. Example is a person firing a gun. The recoil you receive is actually equal to the amount of force it took to propel that small bullet at the speed of sound. Hulk shouldn't be able to just stand there though and let the car hit him unless if it's a small car (Hulk weighs 1 ton).

#16 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say minimum would be

-super strenght muscles, a few tons lifting, faster running higher jumping etc...

- durability, enough against bullets and cutting objects, even a few explosions and definitally fire

-sustainability - no need to eat, breath or any other physiological function for several days maybe even permanentally

-enhanced brain function - better analysis of terrain, higher and faster function (better reflexes), intelligence, etc...

#17 Posted by dondave (38892 posts) - - Show Bio

@lorbo: Your question is pretty difficult to answer as it really depends on what gives you your super strength. Are we talking about enhancing genetics? Or if you had some kind of magic aura that is making you stronger?

Genetically, this is the way I see it. Strength, durability and speed are directly related. The stronger someone is the faster they can be. You need strong muscles, bones, and everything. For now lets just assume strength and durability are directly related linearly. The more super strength you have the equal amount of durability you gain.

Strength and speed. I think of strength as a tier system.

Strength level 1: Allows speed level 1 through 4. At some point you will have a bottleneck to get to speed level 5.

Strength level 2: Allows speed level 5 through 8.

Now lets say you had telekineses, magic or a robotic suit like Ironman that boosted your strength. This doesn't necessarily mean your speed can increase. This is equal to someone just wearing a muscle suit that makes them stronger. It's like a more slim support suit. For speed to be added to these, I liked Halo's approach where the person in the suit has to be slightly enhanced as well. Any normal person that wore the Spartan suit would break their bones and jones because it accelerated too quickly.

There's not much I can really add, @Fortified_Hooligan: did a pretty good job at comparing different characters. Although I would like to add that the Hulk should be able to stop a high speeding big rig if he punched it with an equal or more amount of force. But if his body doesn't absorb all the impulses forces he should be thrown back a little bit. Example is a person firing a gun. The recoil you receive is actually equal to the amount of force it took to propel that small bullet at the speed of sound. Hulk shouldn't be able to just stand there though and let the car hit him unless if it's a small car (Hulk weighs 1 ton).

QFT

#18 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

I grew up on 6 million dollar man or bionic man and it is quite believable for a strong person to be able to jump high and run fast too. Kung fu characters in kung fu movies or ninjas can also jump pretty high.

#19 Posted by ImmortalT1000 (3170 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes strength Matters to several degrees.

1. Who can lift more.

2. In H2H Combat a stronger character will be able to hurt the other character more. The other day in that Batman vs Spiderman debate, it was proven that Spiderman can lift far more weight than Batman can dream of ( hate saying it cause I like Batman ) , but its the truth....

3. Like Fortifield Hooligans stated, With strength you can lift alot..... especially if you or the character is a power lifter....... They say body builders can't always lift as much weight as they look like they can.

#20 Posted by Fortified_Hooligan (1982 posts) - - Show Bio

Strength is the main factor for speed and leaping ability. People who can run fast do so because their legs have an easier time moving their weight across the ground. So this is a relative equation about body mass and muscle. Cats have different muscle layout to a degree, but their limbs have little trouble moving their small bodies, so are able to jump and run at great speed. So this is a muscle to mass ratio issue. 300 pound muscled guys can't necessarily jump as high as some smaller lighter people because they've got to get 300 pounds off the ground. If you could somehow put the legs of a 300 pound muscle guy on the top half of a tiny dude, he'd jump like a kangaroo. Think of this, if you laid on your back and kicked a 40 pound sandbag into the air... that's how far a 5 year old could jump with your leg muscle. Running and jumping really well are about having the righ body. Look at different athletes and note their body types. Swimmers look different than runners, who look different than boxers. It's about maximizing body features to meet the demands you want to place on your body. A sumo wrestler's body is no good for the long jump.

#21 Posted by lorbo (1541 posts) - - Show Bio

Bare minimum, if you want to pick up stuff with strength/beyond human durablity; having adhesive hands would go a LONG way. Assuming you could turn that on and off.

#22 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

In the 1938 origin of Superman, the explanation for the leaping and strength came from insect examples like grasshoppers and ants who have amazing physical powers. In the 1938 origin, all the kryptonians had powers even on krypton and are shown leaping like grasshoppers.

#23 Posted by Fortified_Hooligan (1982 posts) - - Show Bio

Having adhesive feet would definitely help for leverage. In fact i would think that because of the wall crawling there are instances where spiderman would be able to exert more force than the hulk could. But for picking things up sticky hands only is good if the thing you want to pick up is durable. Like think of a fork lift. It's quite capable of picking up your fridge. But if you tied a rope to the handle of the fridge and pulled that up with the fork lift, the fridge would break. So if Hulk had his lower body buried in cement for good leverage and grabbed hold of the bumper of a pickup truck, could he lift the truck over his head? He's got the strength, and he's got the leverage, but does the bumper have enough strength to carry the weight of the truck? Maybe suspended from a rope pulling against the tensile strength of the connecting supports, but hulk trying to pick it up from the bumper would be REALLY testing the SHEER strength of the bumper, and i'm not sure that would hold up, especially if Hulk does it quickly.

#24 Posted by lorbo (1541 posts) - - Show Bio

I@Fortified_Hooligan said:

Strength is the main factor for speed and leaping ability. People who can run fast do so because their legs have an easier time moving their weight across the ground. So this is a relative equation about body mass and muscle. Cats have different muscle layout to a degree, but their limbs have little trouble moving their small bodies, so are able to jump and run at great speed. So this is a muscle to mass ratio issue. 300 pound muscled guys can't necessarily jump as high as some smaller lighter people because they've got to get 300 pounds off the ground. If you could somehow put the legs of a 300 pound muscle guy on the top half of a tiny dude, he'd jump like a kangaroo. Think of this, if you laid on your back and kicked a 40 pound sandbag into the air... that's how far a 5 year old could jump with your leg muscle. Running and jumping really well are about having the righ body. Look at different athletes and note their body types. Swimmers look different than runners, who look different than boxers. It's about maximizing body features to meet the demands you want to place on your body. A sumo wrestler's body is no good for the long jump.

I am VERY impressed.

#25 Edited by Bruticus112 (110 posts) - - Show Bio

If you would have super strength then yeah you could jump higher than normal humans because your strong leg muscles could handle the rest of your bodyweight like a feather. In real life, you need strength to have any other "physical ability". It's been proven by some athletes.

#26 Edited by PowerHerc (85335 posts) - - Show Bio

Super-Strength

Super-Speed

Super-Durability

Regenerative Healing

#27 Edited by teddy_the_god_killer (314 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Control of fundamental forces of physics (covers durability, flight, force fields and strength...actually everything).

2. Speed (reactions, thoughts, fighting ability)

3. Telepathy (soothe or riot individual people or crowds, read minds, generally control people)

4. Regenerative powers (recovery, endurance, longevity).

#28 Posted by teddy_the_god_killer (314 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually a cool thought would be able to control maths, like Scarlet Witch has spells. I mean if you controlled maths then anything possible with physics, chemistry, biology would be in your control. Sounds crazy but why not? If f=ma then you could make your punch f=mc^2??? Awesome!

#29 Posted by green_skaar (4718 posts) - - Show Bio

There is no "bare minimum" for powers to be a super hero.

Some have zero like Batman.

Some have one like Magneto or Professor X

Others have many like Superman, Martian Manhunter, Silver Surfer, etc.

#30 Edited by Black_Arrow (3954 posts) - - Show Bio

But in real life you need powers

#31 Edited by green_skaar (4718 posts) - - Show Bio

@green_skaar said:

But in real life you need powers

Huh? There are no super powers in real life.