#1 Edited by AnyWhichWayButUp (850 posts) - - Show Bio

The spider affected his DNA so does that make him a mutant or not?

#2 Posted by LaserLambert (641 posts) - - Show Bio

Have Sentinels attacked him?

#3 Posted by Tacos_Kickass (844 posts) - - Show Bio

He should be but officially I don't think he is. Hes seems more mutant then someone like Wolverine.

#4 Posted by AnyWhichWayButUp (850 posts) - - Show Bio

@laserlambert: Hasn't he worked with Xmen before?

@tacos_kickass I was kinda thinking that but he wasn't born with the gene so does it count?

#5 Posted by nappystr8 (1345 posts) - - Show Bio

He does not have an X-Gene, and that is what makes a mutant in the terms of the X-Men. He has however, from time to time often been considered a mutant of another kind, as his genes have been mutated. There was even an april fools joke one year by Marvel that Spidey would join the X-Men. So the short answer is no, but there is a connection.

#6 Posted by JakeN7 (15076 posts) - - Show Bio

No. A mutation in the Marvel Universe has the same characteristics as say, a neurological disorder. That is to say that mutants are born with their powers, but their powers may not manifest until later in life. It is part of their genetics and DNA from birth. Characters like Spider-Man, Captain America, Daredevil, Hulk, etc. receive their powers and genetic alterations from other means (usually accidents...especially ones involving radiation.)

#7 Posted by Bruxae (16777 posts) - - Show Bio

Not that ive heard off.

#8 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6489 posts) - - Show Bio

No, because even though Spider-Man was bitten by a mutated spider, he wasn't born with the X-gene, so technically he's not actually a mutant, but got his powers in an accident, like the Fantastic Four.

#9 Posted by Immortal777 (9488 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-man's can be called metahuman.

#10 Posted by dondave (40255 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7 said:

No. A mutation in the Marvel Universe has the same characteristics as say, a neurological disorder. That is to say that mutants are born with their powers, but their powers may not manifest until later in life. It is part of their genetics and DNA from birth. Characters like Spider-Man, Captain America, Daredevil, Hulk, etc. receive their powers and genetic alterations from other means (usually accidents...especially ones involving radiation.)

This

#11 Edited by Teerack (9723 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a mutate not a mutant. I remember misreading mutate as mutant and getting confused a long time ago.

#12 Edited by lightsout (1885 posts) - - Show Bio

Because it's comic-logic to have the x-men's mutants be considered mutated because one specific gene can manifest itself as different mutations (and for some reason make them total freaks socially), while if your DNA is mutated at any other point you're not "a mutant" & probably more likely to be socially accepted. (And how having the x-gene makes you a whole 'nother species (despite not fitting most accepted definitions of what a species is), while other DNA mutations make you just a mutated human @_@). Just another thing to illustrate how much of "outsiders" the X-men are (despite similarities /shared-troubles to other characters). They're just-short of being in their own little universe.

**(Note, I love the X-men, just think some of this logic is odd some times. Stan intended them to social commentary on civil rights, but it seems since then some of the logic has been removed).

#13 Posted by Strider92 (18049 posts) - - Show Bio

@laserlambert: Yeah 3 times that I know of but they always called him a mutate not a mutant so.......yeah there's the answer lol.

#14 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (7971 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought he was till Otto made fun of mutants and said he was superior to one in every way, and then I was like I guess not.