• 84 results
Posted by Deathstroke19 (3799 posts) 8 months, 22 days ago

Poll: Is Smallville worth it? (63 votes)

Definitely! It's the best show ever! 46%
Absolutely not! Worst show ever! Don't waste your time. 14%
Great show but not worth your time. 19%
I've never seen Smallville either. 21%

I am always hearing how amazing it is and how it was one of the best comic TV shows, and well... I have never seen any of it. So i was wondering is taking the time out of my day to watch this show worth it? Is it really that good?

Please let me know what you chose and describe why. No phantom votes!!!!!!

#1 Posted by Jokergeist (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a Geist. Phantom votes are my thing.

Sincerely,

#2 Edited by Fallschirmjager (16512 posts) - - Show Bio

Its very up and down, season to season. Some seasons are great, some are terrible.

My favorite seasons are 5, 6 and 9.

The worst seasons are 1, 7 and 8.

But it some of the episodes are just amazing too. "Absolute Justice" in particular gets my nerdgasms going.

So yeah. If you're a Superman fan, I'd watch it. If you don't care, don't watch it.

All that being said though, Eric Durance is BY FAR the best live-action Lois Lane to me. And. Its. Not. Close. She was freaking AMAZING. (unfortunately the Lana relationship drags on way too damn long.)

James Marsters as Brainic was sicknasty too.

#3 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21624 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Its very up and down, season to season. Some seasons are great, some are terrible.
  2. My favorite seasons are 5, 6 and 9.
  3. The worst seasons are 1, 7 and 8.
  4. Eric Durance is BY FAR the best live-action Lois Lane to me.
  1. agreed
  2. My favorite seasons I think are 1, 2, 5, 6, and 9
  3. The worst are 4, 8, and 10 (10 was a borefest)
  4. Completely agree\

I say watch the show, its good, but some episodes are a chore to get through.

#4 Posted by patrat18 (9542 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea it is.

#5 Posted by Fallschirmjager (16512 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager said:
  1. Its very up and down, season to season. Some seasons are great, some are terrible.
  1. agreed
  4. Completely agree\

1. Yep
  2. I think Season 1 is terrible, compared to the ohters. There is no overlapping story. Its just monster-of-the-week every week and that's it. 2 is okay, but they didn't hit their strides until later. 5,6 and 9 were just EPIC! Brainic, Phantoms, Bizzaro, Zod...AWESOME!!! 7 could have been great, but the writer's strike screwed it up and Kara was so underutilized (and so hot)
  3. I can't say season 4 is a bad one...only because Clark flies for the first time and we finally get Lois lol. Season 8 was godawful though, I won't rant too much about it. I actually thought season 10 was pretty damn good minus the finale, which was ass.
  4. And yeah. Total badass.
#6 Posted by dbatdog (538 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, even the not so great season, there's a reason why they lasted for 10 seasons.

#7 Edited by LaserLambert (636 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted that it sucks, because I believe that it does.

#8 Edited by AllStarSuperman (21624 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman said:

@fallschirmjager said:
  1. agreed
  4. Completely agree\

1. I think Season 1 is terrible, compared to the ohters. There is no overlapping story. Its just monster-of-the-week every week and that's it.
  2. 5,6 and 9 were just EPIC! Brainic, Phantoms, Bizzaro, Zod...AWESOME!!!
  3. 7 could have been great, but the writer's strike screwed it up and Kara was so underutilized (and so hot)
  4. I can't say season 4 is a bad one...only because Clark flies for the first time and we finally get Lois lol.
  5. Season 8 was godawful though, I won't rant too much about it.
  6. I actually thought season 10 was pretty damn good minus the finale, which was ass.
  1. I liked season 1 seemed classic and build the world well. I liked the meteor freaks, but they got tiring after a while.
  2. I liked 9 a lot, Bizzaro is the only version of Bizzaro I like. Brainiac was a little disappointing, (My favorite villain in comics), he was kryptons computer instead of a Coluan.
  3. what was 7's plot? I don't remember. also kara was a babe.
  4. Season 4 was bad because of the Teague's and witch Lana. but it also gave us Lois and Bart so its not all bad.
  5. What was so bad about season 8? I just hated how dark the camera was, everything as blue and black.
  6. 10 was meh, but that episode were Lois and Clark fight blue kryptonite drinking Amish is offensive, and I am not even Amish.

#9 Posted by Fallschirmjager (16512 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman:

1. I thought it sucked compared to latter seasons.
  2. I liked Brainic - a lot.
  3. Veritas.
  4. Yes the plot sucked, but Clark flew!
  5. Doosmday was terrible. And the 4 episode arc of bringing Lana back was SO STUPID. 8 years of on and off...can't take it. Especially when Lois and Clark were heating up. The episode where they are tied to electric chairs? powerful stuff.
  6. I also like it when Lois got Clark's powers.
#10 Posted by batpala (339 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a wonderful show, but skip season eight. That is god awful and not even Jimmy makes it worth your time. It plays around a but with Clark's history, so if you aren't willing to be a bit flexible, it's probably not the right show for you. [Eg; Pete Ross is black, Lana's asian, he knows Lex when he's younger ect al]

#11 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21624 posts) - - Show Bio

@batpala said:

It's a wonderful show, but skip season eight. That is god awful and not even Jimmy makes it worth your time. It plays around a but with Clark's history, so if you aren't willing to be a bit flexible, it's probably not the right show for you. [Eg; Pete Ross is black, Lana's asian, he knows Lex when he's younger ect al]

Actually in real life she is, but in the show she isn't.

Actually Clark knew lex in his early years in Secret Origin and Birthright.

#12 Posted by Tyrus (1095 posts) - - Show Bio

It's really weird... I watched both Smallville AND Heroes and a lot of people say that they both went downhill at some point... I loved both of them from beginning to end. Funny thing is that Smallville was the first show besides Firefly that I watched and it actually helped me venture into the television world, and I think it was a great place to start.

Also I preferred Justin Hartley as Oliver Queen... Stephen Amell is Green Arrow, but no Oliver Queen.

#13 Posted by batpala (339 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman: Kristin Kreuk is American- Asian. And I forgot about that. I haven't read either of those in years.

#14 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21624 posts) - - Show Bio

@batpala said:

@allstarsuperman: Kristin Kreuk is American- Asian. And I forgot about that. I haven't read either of those in years.

In real life she is like Dutch and Korean, I think. On Smallville both her parents are white, she was no Asian ties in Smallville. And if its been years don't you think its time for a reread?

#15 Posted by darkbeam (2242 posts) - - Show Bio

Like everybody else says it's up and down but one things for sure you will hate Lana she's far worse then Laurel.

#16 Edited by Sebast_Allen (1458 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome show, got me introduced to Chloe!

#17 Edited by Fallschirmjager (16512 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkbeam said:

Like everybody else says it's up and down but one things for sure you will hate Lana she's far worse then Laurel.

omfg so true.

Thank god for Lois...she was pretty much a beacon of light for that show.

@sebast_allen said:

I hated Chloe in seasons 1-3. Then she learns Clark's secret and becomes the best freaking side kick ever.

#18 Posted by Sebast_Allen (1458 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkbeam said:

omfg so true.

Thank god for Lois...she was pretty much a beacon of light for that show.

This

@sebast_allen said:

I hated Chloe in seasons 1-3. Then she learns Clark's secret and becomes the best freaking side kick ever.

Yup! Though the cgi was kinda bad, when clark fought luthor possessed by zod luthor hit him through a boulder (which seemed very out of place) and it broke in such a weak sauce way.

#19 Edited by Fallschirmjager (16512 posts) - - Show Bio

@sebast_allen: you dont really get expensive CGI work though in a show like that lol

Game of Thrones is like 1m dollars per episode to production. And even they avoid CGI like the plague. They've never shown a full scale battle on-screen.

Unfortunately you can't really escape CGI when it comes to Superpowers

#20 Posted by Sebast_Allen (1458 posts) - - Show Bio

@sebast_allen: you dont really get expensive CGI work though in a show like that lol

Game of Thrones is like 1m dollars per episode to production. And even they avoid CGI like the plague. They've never shown a full scale battle on-screen.

Unfortunately you can't really escape CGI when it comes to Superpowers

True

#21 Posted by G_leno (986 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved most of the show. Season 1 and 2 are slow, but it really picks up from there. I did really like seasons 5,7 and 10. 10 mostly because of the finale and Booster gold.

#22 Posted by Pokeysteve (8245 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved it. An excellent interpretation of a young Superman. Had it's ups and downs but, to me, it was worth it in the end. I miss the show and still watch it.

#23 Posted by Kairan1979 (16723 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the biggest flaws of the show was that they dragged Clark/Lana relationship way too long. It wasn't fair to Lois, making her look like a second choice.

#24 Posted by Deathstroke19 (3799 posts) - - Show Bio

I started to watch it. Starting from season 1 and so far its good but I've only seen 2 episodes so if it gets bad like everyone is saying maybe i will skip it.

I am actually really surprised at how random the poll is.... Usually there's some trend but not here.

#25 Posted by TheSmallvillefan12 (185 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved it. An excellent interpretation of a young Superman. Had it's ups and downs but, to me, it was worth it in the end. I miss the show and still watch it.

Perfectly said and agree 100%

#26 Posted by Hyperlight (5701 posts) - - Show Bio

smallville was a great show overall

clark/lana relationship will drag

most of the characters are great... villians such a brainiac and lex steal the show

seasons 1, 4, 5, 6, 9 were really good off the top of my head. episodes such as Justice, Absolute Justice, Run, and most of the superhero episodes were good.

#27 Edited by Deathstroke19 (3799 posts) - - Show Bio

@hyperlight: thanks i started season 1 and I'm on episode 12 already. It's pretty good so far. @thesmallvillefan12: yeah I kind of figured you would say so from your name lol.

#28 Posted by DEGRAAF (7876 posts) - - Show Bio

I own all the seasons. The first season was slow but only because it is introducing a lot of people and his powers and origin.

i think 2-5 or 6 are really good. When they lose Michael Rosenbaum as Luthor it goes down a little but eventually picks up again. All in all i think it is worth seeing or buying but im not going to deny there are some bad episodes and seasons. The last 2 or 3 seemed to just drag bc they didnt want to catch up with him becoming Superman. They should have cut it off at season 8. There were still a few good episodes after season 8 but im just letting you know.

#29 Edited by danhimself (22490 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the best thing to do with Smallville is to pick and choose episodes....there are a ton of throw away villain of the week episodes that don't matter to the larger scope of the series at all

I would go through a couple of "Best of" lists and watch those episodes....then...move on to the comic....everything that the show wanted to do and kind of failed at the comic has succeeded in doing amazingly...it's no secret that I think it's the best ongoing interpretation of Superman since the New52 started http://www.comicvine.com/superman/4005-1807/forums/smallville-season-11-the-best-superman-title-749293/#123

#30 Posted by Jeepeh (3787 posts) - - Show Bio

Its very up and down, season to season. Some seasons are great, some are terrible.

My favorite seasons are 5, 6 and 9.

The worst seasons are 1, 7 and 8.

But it some of the episodes are just amazing too. "Absolute Justice" in particular gets my nerdgasms going.

So yeah. If you're a Superman fan, I'd watch it. If you don't care, don't watch it.

All that being said though, Eric Durance is BY FAR the best live-action Lois Lane to me. And. Its. Not. Close. She was freaking AMAZING. (unfortunately the Lana relationship drags on way too damn long.)

James Marsters as Brainic was sicknasty too.

This.

#31 Posted by CuddleBear (1240 posts) - - Show Bio

along with Arrow its the outcome of addicts willing to watch any cheap product as long as it gets them their fix.

#32 Posted by PowerHerc (83251 posts) - - Show Bio

It can drag at times but it's definitely worth in overall.

#33 Posted by SilverPool (1370 posts) - - Show Bio

You are so right about that.

#34 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8810 posts) - - Show Bio

no.

#35 Posted by HumanRocket (7728 posts) - - Show Bio

When it first came out I was hooked on the show but after a while maybe around season 5 I stopped watching. The about around season 9 I came back and the show picked up momentum from there on. Your going to hit some seasons that just drag out but overall I enjoyed the series.

#36 Posted by The_Master_of_Darkness (42 posts) - - Show Bio

I went with definitely, although it's not the best show ever. I eventually fell out of it, although I occasionally drop back in (it's one of the few shows I can do that in without having to start back at the beginning). I thinks it's good enough to try for yourself.

#37 Posted by Hyperlight (5701 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathstroke19:

favorite episodes in season one are metamorphosis and leech.. greg arkin is one of my favorite meteor freaks to this day

#38 Posted by The Stegman (23915 posts) - - Show Bio

It's good, not the best, but I'd say it's worth the watch.

#39 Posted by Deathstroke19 (3799 posts) - - Show Bio

@degraaf: @danhimself: @jeepeh: @cuddlebear: @powerherc: @silverpool: @crom_cruach: @humanrocket: @the_master_of_darkness: @hyperlight: Thanks to everyone for commenting!! I have started season 1 and now I'm on episode 18. So far it's been pretty good and supposedly this is one of the more slow seasons so it seems like I will like it a lot. The only thing I'm worried about is that I'm really digging the Luthor+ Clark relationship right now and I don't want to see them fight. Does anyone know which season Luthor turns evil just to give me a heads up? Also what season does Lana die? I know she does but i don't know how or when.

#40 Posted by Jeepeh (3787 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathstroke19: Not exactly sure, but that lana thing........... I shouldn't spoil it in the slightest. Your mind will be blown. O_O

#41 Posted by darkbeam (2242 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathstroke19: I commented to just saying lol.And he turns evil around 5 and 6 lol I'm watching season 6 right now lol I have all the seasons.

#42 Edited by danhimself (22490 posts) - - Show Bio

@degraaf: @danhimself: @jeepeh: @cuddlebear: @powerherc: @silverpool: @crom_cruach: @humanrocket: @the_master_of_darkness: @hyperlight: Thanks to everyone for commenting!! I have started season 1 and now I'm on episode 18. So far it's been pretty good and supposedly this is one of the more slow seasons so it seems like I will like it a lot. The only thing I'm worried about is that I'm really digging the Luthor+ Clark relationship right now and I don't want to see them fight. Does anyone know which season Luthor turns evil just to give me a heads up? Also what season does Lana die? I know she does but i don't know how or when.

I'm not sure if there's actually a specific episode where Lex goes bad....It's kind of one of those things where Lex has always been evil but he tries to be better because of Clark's friendship but you slowly start seeing his evil side winning more and more

#43 Edited by Fallschirmjager (16512 posts) - - Show Bio

It deteriorates slowly each season.

It only becomes un-salvageable during season 6.

Lana doesn't die.

#44 Posted by Jeepeh (3787 posts) - - Show Bio
#45 Edited by Khan_Noonien_Singh (514 posts) - - Show Bio

This needs a middle-of-the-road option.

#46 Posted by Deathstroke19 (3799 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: WHAT?!?!? WHY WOULD YOU... UGH I MIGHT AS WELL JUST NOT WATCH THE SHOW NOW!!!! @darkbeam: I know but I only tagged the people that commented after my last post here becuase i didn't acknowledge them yet :P

#47 Posted by Fallschirmjager (16512 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: WHAT?!?!? WHY WOULD YOU... UGH I MIGHT AS WELL JUST NOT WATCH THE SHOW NOW!!!! @darkbeam: I know but I only tagged the people that commented after my last post here becuase i didn't acknowledge them yet :P

sarcasm? >_> you asked lol

#48 Posted by darkbeam (2242 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathstroke19: lol I don't really care,but in season 6 Green Arrows in it so you'll be able to compare Smallviles Green Arrow with Arrows own show.

#49 Posted by Deathstroke19 (3799 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Posted by Fallschirmjager (16512 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: lol yeah sarcasm... But I'm still mad at you >:(

don't ask questions you dont want the answer to then lol

Lana sucks anyway. Just wait till Lois shows up.