Is Shazam as fast as Earth 2 Flash?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3ffc872a35d
deactivated-5b3ffc872a35d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So the question is pretty simple. Given that Shazam gets his speed from Mercury, and Mercury gave his powers to Earth 2 Flash, would that make them the same speed? Also would a Shazam in Earth 2 draw his power from the Flash there, and would that weaken him? Something I was curious about as a Shazam fan and always comparing his speed to other superspeed characters. It's been established that he's incredibly fast, faster than Superman in most cases, spoken by the Man of Steel himself, such as in Justice where he caught up to the Flash, which puts him at a top tier in terms of speed, to the point where even The Flash in the 1995 #107 "The Flash and the Power of Shazam!" he asked if Shazam tapped in the speed force as well with how fast he was.

So Shazam's speed = Earth 2 Flash's?

Edit: Since new 52 Earth Prime gets his powers from The Living Lightning as pointed out down below, then would Thunderworld Shazam, who should be going by pre-52 continuity power source, be as fast?

Avatar image for firestormfate1919
FirestormFate1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say no, as Shazam normally draws upon smaller a,outs of these powers. For example, he's not actually as strong as Atlas despite his abilities. Earth 2 Flash also dwarfs him I pure speed, even running a god from existence. I'm also not sure about Shazam's new 52 Speed Level. He was rushed by Superman and unable to react, so I doubt he's at the same level as Pre 52 Cap. In the Pre 52 uinverse Billy was pretty close to Jay, being faster than people like Superman. However, Jay left him in the dust when things got really fast.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably not.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@firestormfate1919: I'm very curious as to where they will raise his power cap to once time goes on. Given how new of a character he is and how inexperienced he is with his powers, I very much doubt he's yet pressed them to his full abilities given his lack of understanding of magic. However at the time being, as far as I've seen, he has been depowered in every sense, from his knowledge to strength. Only plus being he can now freely sling lightning bolts. I would still leave it open to him being as fast as Mercury, but not reached his peak yet. In his own volume collection he doesn't even understand how his giving out powers work.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Nope, cause Jays feats are better. And feats > statements.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Potentially.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Except thats not true.

Shazam does not get his speed from Mercury.

Thats old pre 52 stuff.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: Yeah...the living lightning and all...hrm. It's so hard to break from the old ways...sigh. But in the same course, is Thunderworld Shazam as fast as Earth 2 Flash then? Since he would be going by the pre-52 rules and be silver age.

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I would say he is because he has the speed god Mercury's speed, but I don't think he ever displayed it.

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

im not sure new 52 shazam (cap marvel) gets his powers from mercury but this question is hard to answer because we assume that the mercury of earth 2 would be identical to the mercury of earth prime.. which he isn't.

Mikoveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@firestormfate1919: that's not true, when Billy transforms into Shazam (CM) he gets all their powers, meaning as strong as Hercules, as fast as Mercury... and bc of Zeus's powers that also enhances all his other attributes he becomes stronger then Hercules, faster then Mercury... hence his title "the worlds mightiest mortal"

Mikoveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: really his speed doesn't come from Mercury then what does the M in S.H.A.Z.A.M. stands for? *waits for no response* yes in new52 Shazam gets he's speed from Mercury witch is why superman him self said that he's faster then him...

Mikoveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koshi_waza88http:

//www.comicvine.com/billy-batson/4005-2350/ if you scroll down to New52 Powers, you'll read about his strength (taking down superman and wonderwoman). his speed (traveling from watchtower to earth in 6 minutes) in new52 superman told shazam to catch the flash and he did, flash was unaware that he was being chased but was still running at top speed, superman telling shazam to do it shows that shazam had the better chance. he can also teleport. his durability, taking damage from superman and black Adam and not showing signs of injuries. Showed only one weakness witch is being a new hero, not fully know all he can do or how to unlock all his powers. He can now cast lightning and was also noted he can run/fly as fast as his lightning (speed of light). And one very important thing, he can control when he says "Shazam!" Transform, stay the same, or cast a spell"... saying the magic word is no longer a weakness...

MikeHoolihan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ive never heard of this. I'd like to see the comic that says New 52 Captain marvel gets his powers from those gods. Was it always like this?

chuckwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

there is no way Shazam was as fast as the earth 2 flash or any other speedster, he was a ancient wizard that was thousands of years old. Now Captain Marvel was close to being that fast though

MaZeRaIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koshi_waza88:

Actually there is a mention that he gets his powers from the Gods,

From Superman : Futures End :

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

As for Jay he was capable of keeping up with other Flashes ( one of them was Pre - 52 Barry Allen before COIE event, who's top speed before COIE was Lightspeed ) in Convengence :

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Now the question is Earth Prime Mercury = Earth 2 Mercury ?

MaZeRaIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

Mikoveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another mention was in new52 when the wizard zapped billy to see if he was pure, and saw billy wasn't pure (no one is) he said "Gods forgive me... Black Adam's free." Moments later when he gave billy the powers, he said "you'll have the strength of A Dimigod" billy said "i can feel it" the beauty of the new 52 reboot is you have to read and search for what you wanna know about your character, mines is formerly known Captain Marvel, now known as Shazam... so much to know about him as the wizard told him "there are so many. You must learn them." Speaking about his powers and what he can do... but yes he gets his powers from the dimigods...

Mikoveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mikoveli

@chuckwolf: we're speaking about new52... Shazam(the wizard) is now known as The Wizard, and Captain Marvel is now known as Shazam. Do to promotion purposes and Marvel Comics

Mikoveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

This the one The Wizard tells Shazam he has the strength of A demigod... singular, as in 1 demigod pointing to Hercules.

Mikoveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

in this one The Wizard Prays to the Gods for forgiveness, "Gods forgive me... Black Adam's Free..." showing were his powers really comes from... not from magic but from the Gods... knowing Shazam/Captain Marvels history plays a part in getting these hidden hints...

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I see alot conjecture and but no solid proof.

Shazam could be saying gods forgive me like any person other person does when they mess up. The others statements of having the power of could just be statements of comparison not literal.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By dernman

@ecstaticgrace: Not really it's no different then when someone says you have the strength of Hercules when they complement you on doing something that requires strength.

The less specific the wisdom of a god among other examples.

houseshm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this storyline superman explains that while he is slower than flash, billy can actually match the flash speed

No Caption Provided

Mikoveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mikoveli

@dernman: the writer wouldn't have put that in there for no reason or a dump one at that... there is proof in comics that superman and shazam are pretty equal, superman have said it so has shazam, houseshm posted a comic were shazam caught flash (pre52) but people will still say shazam is slow or not as fast... MaZeRaIII and myself posted comics that show shazam still gets powers from Gods (new52) witch writers wouldn't waste time, space, or ink for no reason... but people would still say other wise... just pick up a comic and read it and stop putting all your info from cartoons that some times alter the comics for the same reason hollywood would alter books for a quick story line...

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By dernman

@mikoveli: the writer wouldn't have put that in there for no reason or a dump one at that.

Of course he wouldn't but the reason for putting it doesn't mean it has to be for the one you said it was. I could just as likely been for the reason I stated, a reason of comparison. and a nod to the past.

there is proof in comics that superman and shazam are pretty equal, superman have said it so has shazam, houseshm posted a comic were shazam caught flash (pre52) but people will still say shazam is slow or not as fast...

We're talking about Billy still getting his powers from the gods in the new 52 because it's the only thing I commented on. This right here has nothing to do with that.

MaZeRaIII and myself posted comics that show shazam still gets powers from Gods (new52) witch writers wouldn't waste time, space, or ink for no reason...

and as I explained as of now it's nothing but conjecture on your part.

but people would still say other wise...

with good reason. THe burden of proof is on you because you made the claim. You're going to need more than conjecture and supposition, that can just as easily mean something else for that.

just pick up a comic and read it and stop putting all your info from cartoons that some times alter the comics for the same reason hollywood would alter books for a quick story line...

I did read it. I read all those stories. Difference is I'm looking at it more objectively than you.

I don't care if he's a fast as flash or not. Don't really have an opinion. I'm not sure how fast Earth 2 Flash is anyway so I wouldn't get into that debate.

I don't care much if he does get his powers from the gods or not. All I care about is what little bit of evidence there is and what it tells us.Which isn't anything definite.

MaZeRaIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman:

Earth 2 Flash ( Jay Garrick ) is fast enough to blitz someone into INFINITY ( maybe it is the SpeedForce, who knows ? ), so he is FTL :

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By dernman

@mazeraiii: Are you telling me this because you think I'm debating thread topic or because I said I didn't know how fast Flash was? Just wondering.

For the record though he doesn't really have the background to know what he did. He only has an average mans intelligence.

MaZeRaIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman:

Are you telling me this because you think I'm debating thread topic or because I said I didn't know how fast Flash was? Just wondering.

Second one, you said you didn't know how fast is Flash, so i posted his feats.

For the record though he doesn't really have the background to know what he did. He only has an average mans intelligence.

Well, maybe he has sensed that, after all his powers are magical, but it is just a speculation, so we don't know.
But one thing is for sure, that was an MFTL speed feat.

MaZeRaIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koshi_waza88:

There is an another mention that he gets his power from the GODS,

From Justice League #44 :

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Shazam : " I CAN HEAR THEM FIGHTING. THEY ALL WANT OUT...THE GODS ARE SCARED. "

Mikoveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Mikoveli

Very nice MaZeraIII

Avatar image for subnettingisaverb
subnettingisaverb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koshi_waza88:

There is an another mention that he gets his power from the GODS,

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

I don't think thats what it means. The Wizard is his only source of power post flashpoint.

MaZeRaIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MaZeRaIII

@subnettingisaverb:

It means that the gods inside Shazam want out, it is simple.

Wizard is only his source of power ? Stamina of Atlas disagrees with you :

No Caption Provided

And Wizard is not his powersource Wizard is the one that channels the power of the Gods into Shazam.

MaZeRaIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ianrogers:

Prove that Futures End is non-canon.

Even if we assume that it is non-canon, the characters that appeared in FT are the same ones as in Earth Prime and have the same powers, so it doesn't change that much, it still proves that Shazam has the power of Gods.

MaZeRaIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ianrogers:

First, the thing you say that it is non-canon is just speculation, no proof, so again, show me real proof, not just yout opinion.

They are the same characters they are just 5 years older, all of them had the same powers.

It was actually mentioned that he gets his power from the Gods.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

The gods inside Shazam want out, so it shows that he still gets his powers from the gods.

so that just sounds like the writer forgot about that. Only the wizard is the source of Shazam's power now.

Read the answer above.