• 77 results
Avatar image for xxedward_kenwayxx
XxEdward_KenwayXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Okay so I've been hearing lots of good stuff about one piece since when I got into anime. So I tried to get into it and I watched the first 5 or 6 episodes but I didn't like it. But now my friends are telling me that I should watch it and catch up. But idk, seems kinda boring to me. I like stuff like naruto, I just fell in love with his character, I love his "never give up" attitude. So basically I like naruto for it's characters, and I like bleach for it's battles(ulquiorra vs ichigo). Naruto's are too long and they talk too much in between them. So tell me how one piece stacks up against these, and if I should give it another chance or not. and try not to start a flame war between fans please.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

KittyParker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not into One Piece, either. My friends that are obsessed with One Piece say that they love it for escapism. It's funny and uplifts them.

XxEdward_KenwayXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kittyparker13: I see. Lots of people tell me that it has a really good story. But idk. I love naruto's story but it's getting stretched out a bit too much

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Really not into it at all. I find a lot of the arcs boring and the characters too ridiculous.

KittyParker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xxedward_kenwayxx: Agreed. I still love Naruto, though. I really find the characters to be likable. They have some of the best character growth I've ever seen in anime.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It's okay. But a word of advice, stick with the sub version and avoid the dubs.

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I enjoy One Piece, though I'm pretty far behind (just got to Fishman Island in the anime). It's an interesting story and I like the characters. Don't really need anymore reason than that.

Luffy is happy-go-lucky and doesn't back down from anyone. He declares war on the World Government to save the life of a friend who had given up fighting the World Government who had murdered her entire island when she was little. She just wanted to die, but he convinced her to give life a second shot and saved her from certain execution. He doesn't even hesitate to punch a world noble in the face for shooting a fishman who used to be his enemy (the fish man was trying to save a mermaid who was being sold as a slave at auction). The world nobles have so much political power that they can kill people or kidnap them in the open, with an island full of witnesses, and no one will stand against them. He also beats up a kraken and makes it his pet so it can carry his ship at the bottom of the ocean. That's just a little bit on Luffy. He isn't the only cool character in One Piece, but he is one of the coolest.

XxEdward_KenwayXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spitfirepanda: daang. Sounds like a lot of fun to watch. I'll give it another chance. I hope it gives me that same feeling that naruto gave me. Which was to see how much he grew and matured. And all the conflicts and struggles he had to go through

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xxedward_kenwayxx: Luffy overcomes all obstacles in his path with brute force and determination, up till the War of the Best. That's when he starts facing the most powerful fighters in the world and realizes that he's not at their level, and if he doesn't train up, he and all of his friends will be killed by the extremely powerful foes. That's when you get the two year timeskip. He is forced to mature, but he's still the same person.

It's kind of like the transfer from Naruto to Naruto Shippuden. I'm a Naruto fan too, btw :P

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the Manga, from what I did read a few years ago. Apparently the Anime has a heck of a lot of filler.

XxEdward_KenwayXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spitfirepanda: alright I will give it another chance. I'm going to watch the anime and skip through the fillers. Glad to see another naruto fan (:

#LuffyAndNaruto

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the Manga, from what I did read a few years ago. Apparently the Anime has a heck of a lot of filler.

Opposite really, it has the less amount of filler of the HST

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

It's actually kind of a guilty pleasure of mine. The characters are funny but largely well-written, the art style is interesting, and while it's padded as hell that's pretty par for the course for the genre it's in.

GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatguywithheadphones:

Cannon Episodes: 1-49, 52-53, 61-92, 94-97, 100, 103-130, 144-195, 207-212, 217-219, 227-278, 284-290, 293-302, 304-316, 320-325, 337-381, 385-405, 408-425, 430-452, 459-491, 493-496, 500-505, 507-541, 543-574, 579-589, 591-625, 628-648, 651

Filler Episodes: 50-51, 54-60, 93, 98-99, 101-102, 131-143, 196-206, 213-216, 220-226, 279-283, 291-292, 303, 317-319, 326-336, 382-384, 406-407, 426-429, 453-458, 492, 497-499, 506, 542, 575-578, 590, 626-627

Quite a bit if you ask me.

Citation

thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatguywithheadphones:

Cannon Episodes: 1-49, 52-53, 61-92, 94-97, 100, 103-130, 144-195, 207-212, 217-219, 227-278, 284-290, 293-302, 304-316, 320-325, 337-381, 385-405, 408-425, 430-452, 459-491, 493-496, 500-505, 507-541, 543-574, 579-589, 591-625, 628-648, 651

Filler Episodes: 50-51, 54-60, 93, 98-99, 101-102, 131-143, 196-206, 213-216, 220-226, 279-283, 291-292, 303, 317-319, 326-336, 382-384, 406-407, 426-429, 453-458, 492, 497-499, 506, 542, 575-578, 590, 626-627

Quite a bit if you ask me.

Citation

1. Look up Bleach and Naruto and tell me that's a lot.

2. Look at the episodes in a more ratio-esque way for every 5 fillers you get 50 cannon.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

One Piece is garbage.

thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pikachumonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Long live One Piece!

sharingan_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sharingan_eyes

@xxedward_kenwayxx said:

@spitfirepanda: alright I will give it another chance. I'm going to watch the anime and skip through the fillers. Glad to see another naruto fan (:

#LuffyAndNaruto

Who says pirates and ninjas can't get along??
Who says pirates and ninjas can't get along??

XxEdward_KenwayXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sharingan_eyes: love that pic. I've seen lots of great ones with Naruto, luffy, ichigo, Natsu, and goku (:

Btw, what is HST?

GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Look up Bleach and Naruto and tell me that's a lot.

2. Look at the episodes in a more ratio-esque way for every 5 fillers you get 50 cannon.

Fair enough. I choose not to compare it to other anime in this regards, it doesn't change the point at all, only that others are worse.

In terms of ratio, you're right, it's not too bad. But there's a whole lot in a row.

Avatar image for justsomerandomkid
JustSomeRandomKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's too freaking long imo. Tried reading the manga but I got to like Volume 3 and then I saw I had like 730+ pages to go. So I just said f*ck it.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's pretty lame to me. I lost interest after the first arc. No one is interesting except Zoro and Mihawk.

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love it.

It really gets good during and past the CP9 arc.

GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Luffy will always be a poor man's Goku.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for the_legendary_supersaiyan_hulk
The_Legendary_SuperSaiyan_Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#MugiwaraCrewForLife

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The manga is pretty good. The characters are fun and the protagonists actually develop a little bit, especially Luffy (it just takes a long time). It's not a masterpiece, but the story world holds together well and it shows that the author had already ideas for a lot of the stuff that is presented (unlike say DBZ or Naruto... or Bleach).

So, it is a very fun, entertaining and at times awesome read. But you must like wild actions, varied plots and a little bit of shenannigans.

Zelos797

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Zelos797

@xxedward_kenwayxx: Well I consider it being really good and enjoyable but I stopped watching at the whole SPOILERZ Ace dies arc. The show has been out for so long and it does not seem to be even close to the ending. Enies Lobby is probably my fave arc in the show. I say give it a try but I warn you the first episodes (like 100 of them) are rather old but I did not really mind while watching. I got hooked after watching first two or so episodes so you should at least give it a chance.

Now for how One Piece stacks up against Naruto and Bleach....hmmm. First of all One Piece has it fair share of awesome characters. Really the characters in this show are almost always colorful, uniuqe and interesting to watch. The fights are REALLY good but they of course become more beautiful the further you watch (time passes and animation becomes better). One piece is also less serious than Naruto and Bleach and compared to these two seems to be just full of life and optimism. It also has it's fair share of dramatic and awesome moments especially in the flashbacks of the character's past. I usually am not a hugest fan of the flashbacks ESPECIALLY in Naruto BUT in One Piece they are masterfully done.

Overall One Piece has cool fights, awesome characters, the great feel of adventure, cool soundtrack and it is overall highly enjoyable experience at least the 408 or so episodes I watched. Also compared to Bleach and Naruto One Piece has very few fillers. They are very few and far in-between and quite short. So these 651 episodes that are out are mostly content.

XxEdward_KenwayXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zelos797: okay thanks for the input! I'm on episode 4 I think, and I really like it. I'm going to watch the entire series but I will also skip through the filler. I gotta start watching fairy tail, magi, and hunter x hunter as well ^_^ got a long way to go!

Zelos797

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Zelos797

@xxedward_kenwayxx: Good luck with that. I am actually quite the opposite started concentrating on shorter shows like JoJo's Bizzare adventure or Watamote to name a couple of recent once.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally in don't mind that One Piece is so long. The best way to describe OP is that it is an adventure.

Oda has some of the best world building in the shonen genre and he creates and takes his characters to the most interesting and crazy places. He also averts some stuff sloppier writers don't. People die in One Piece. Luffy's brother. Usopp's mother. Nami's mother. Zoro's rival and inspiration. Robin's whole damn island in a massacre.

One Piece may be silky, but you can't deny it still getd pretty dark and serious when need be.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But I wouldn't suggest the anime, just the manga! One Piece is well paced, meaning that the story allows for leisure time of both characters and readers between the most tense moments (which are pretty tense). The anime screws that up by adding filler and changing the timing. Also, the manga has a pretty unique way of handling perpective (I mean, it was unique before it was copied all around the genre) that is mostly lost in the anime.

XxEdward_KenwayXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matteopg: alright thanks (: I'm planning on catching up with the anime but I'm going to skip through the fillers. Btw, do you know what HST is?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@xxedward_kenwayxx said:

@matteopg: alright thanks (: I'm planning on catching up with the anime but I'm going to skip through the fillers. Btw, do you know what HST is?

HST is "Holy Shonen Trinity" it is a term that describes the three most popular Shonen Jump manga which was One Piece, Naruto and Bleach

InFamous_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By InFamous_Wolf

It's really good actually. I personally fall off because the fisher man island arc was boring as hell. so are the first couple arcs because they serve as an introduction to new crewmates. So if you don't like the character you won't like the arc. But when you get to arcs like Marineford you won't regret it. Also One Piece is pretty happy go lucky in terms of story. It can have some dark moments too tho. While Bleach and Naruto are almost always dark in comparision.

InFamous_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By InFamous_Wolf

@blackwind: Really, I felt that One Piece was always the weakest in terms of character deaths. Especially compared to the other HST manga.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for annoyedimmortalspirit
AnnoyedImmortalSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

honestly i think One Piece is cool, but the anime is toooooo fucking slow!!!

it's really annoying how they have a 5/6 min of intro+recap in a 20min episode, then you have like other 5 min of flashbacks, after that you have 1 kick from a battle, then they cut to nami and franki, then you see another kick from that battle, and they you see somthing else, after that there's the "ending" where they waste like 3 minutes in 1 single action, with lots of music and everything is going rallenty... Uuuh it's a shame because the story is kind of good, but its just a pain to watch it

XxEdward_KenwayXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: oh I see. Too bad bleach is decreasing in popularity ):

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 the_stegman  Moderator

@the_stegman: oh I see. Too bad bleach is decreasing in popularity ):

Yeah, well, I think a big part of it is the anime ending. I used to love Bleach, the first arc was a good blend of humor and action and it got fantastic around the Soul Society arc, after that, we had the Heuco Mundo stuff..which was an exact copy of the SS arc.

"Ichigo's female friend gets kidnapped, so he has to go to a strange land and fight super strong opponents, but don't worry, he gets a power up or three and beats them."

Same exact plot. Then we had the Fullbringer stuff and I just gave up on it entirely.

As for One Piece, I wanted to like it, I really, really did, after all, it's the highest selling manga in Japan, but I just can't get into it. The anime is painfully boring. Each episode of the first half of the arcs are just set up for new characters/crewmates which just don't interest me, when exciting things do happen, it cuts away to a different character doing something else.

Also, the wackiness of the characters aren't my cup of tea. Luffy is pretty much "stretchy Goku", an over eating, always happy, except when you mess with his friends, everyman character who doesn't really grow or change as a character. Sanji was amazing before the timeskip, afterwards he's a one trick pony with his woman obsession. Never liked Nami, Chopper, Brook or Usopp. Zoro is the only character who I still love.

There are somethings I like, the world building Oda does is amazing, and the Whitebeard arc is great, but other than that, nope, don't like One Piece.

To me, Naruto is easily the best out of the "HST".

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

>2014

>not reading one piece

yu w0t m8

Jan_Valker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jan_Valker

You guys should quit immediately with the anime and read the manga. What takes several minutes (if not episodes) in the serie, here is resolved in few pages. Use the anime just for watching on youtube the live version of battles.

As for OP in itself, yes, it's really that good. I mean, not all arcs are of the same quality (Fishermen's Island was very boring imo, too long and useless), but when it's good, it's GOOD.

Mxyzptlk_CV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find almost every "Shonen" Manga mediocre and full of clichés...there are a few exceptions though...

"Seinen" Manga is generally better....

I used to read Shonen Mangas when I was younger....

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DarthAznable
Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As shonen anime go, one piece is alright. Not that great. When it comes down to the battles, it's pretty formulaic, but some of the stories, like Skypeia, Alabasta, and the first half of Water 7 were great.

Zainu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Zainu

The manga is good.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xxedward_kenwayxx: Being a fan of all three anime you mentioned in the OP.. I'd say yes, give it a chance.

Maybe you could read the manga of an arc first, and then see the anime? Wait till you get to see more of the main characters, then you might like them.

Gojira2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate OP. I think the Haki thing is lame, and the art work is terrible in Manga and show. Rubber Band boy as the main character is lame as Mister Fantastic too.