Is Marvel ruining Thanos?

• 60 results
whoisme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is Marvel ruining Thanos? (115 votes)

Yes 14%
Looks like it 6%
I don't think so 4%
No 15%
Too soon to tell 30%
Relax bro, Marvel knows what it is doing 13%
HOW DARE YOU TARNISH THE NAME OF MARVEL, YOU FILTHY HEATHEN! STAN LEE SHALL HAVE YOUR SOUL! 17%

After seeing Guardians of the Galaxy, I'm worried that writers and directors other than Joss Whedon are going to ruin the character of Thanos for me. Here is why.

In the avengers we see one of Thanos's servants. He is one of the most intimidating characters in the entire movie. Not only does he bully Loki around, not only is Loki genuinly afraid of him, but Earth itself means absolutely nothing to him. Normally threats in movies feel so cliche and run down, but when he said to Loki "You will wish for something as sweet as pain" I had chills. This wasn't even Thanos, just one of his servants. When his servant his cautioning him about the avengers and Thanos just smiles, that is one of the most badass and ominous things in the movie. He sees everything the avengers have done and he is not even phased. He's exited.

Guardians of the Galaxy on the other hand . . . that's what is making me worried. The first thing that bothered me was when Thanos's daughter is in prison, they acknowledge she is his daughter and then they brush on to the next prisoner. HOLD ON A SECOND! You have the daughter of Thanos, the most powerful being in the universe and that's nothing special to you? You aren't afraid that Thanos is going to come for her, you aren't going to interrogate her about Thanos, you aren't even going to say "That's impossible". You are just going to throw her in with the other prisoners. As a viewer, if these guys think this little of Thanos, how am I supposed to see him as a threat?

Then the point where we actually saw Thanos. I hated this scene. Nothing about him feels royal or official or even intimidating. Everything he does and says feels tired and cliche. Again, here I see no reason to acknowledge him as a threat. No one else does! His daughters, Ronan, no one is afraid of what will happen if they cross him. No one seems afraid of him. He is a having a pissing contest with Ronan, calling him boy and stuff, but Ronan is so far beneath him that he shouldn't feel the need to do this. I would have loved it had Thanos saw capturing his daughter as an insult. I would have loved it had Thanos seen Ronan killing his servant in front of him as an insult. I would have loved it had we seen a glimpse of Thanos's power or brutality, saw him destroying an army or torturing someone. But no, he doesn't seem to care what anyone does or says, and even when he does he doesn't punish anyone or do anything about it.

The scene where Ronan broke away from Thanos was full of wasted potential. If Thanos was intimidating, this could have been a chance to build up both Thanos and Ronan. None of the things they say in this scene are remotely original or interesting. One guy even had to remind us that Thanos was the most powerful being in the universe! Well, if you had built him up before, you wouldn't need to remind us, we would already know that Ronan is making a mistake.

• 
proto3296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just a little over analyzation i think. Don't worry about it, Marvel cinematic universe has performed and came out excellent so far! Although what you said is true, I think in due time he will prove he's the most powerful person in MCU at this point.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#2  Edited By Teerack

I follow cosmic marvel pretty hard core and I don't think anything about Thanos in GotG was off. I'm more curious to see how marvel will handle him once he gets defeated in avengers 3 or w/e movie it's going to be in since I always found Thanos to be more interesting as the "enemy of my enemy" character who was never really the hero but had goals that ended up saving the galaxy many times.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think its too soon to tell, Thanos was in n GoTG for an extended cameo. I hope we'll see more than a cameo next time.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#4 frozen  Moderator

His daughters, Ronan, no one is afraid of what will happen if they cross him.

All of them feared him. The film made that clear.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I'd be more worried about Brolin ruining Thanos than Marvel. Brolin sucks.

Luckily he is just the voice.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@frozen said:

His daughters, Ronan, no one is afraid of what will happen if they cross him.

All of them feared him. The film made that clear.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Erm, let's just wait until Avengers 3 to pass judgement guys.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

I guess in a way,there wont by any Starlin to retcon it away after all.

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By BeaconofStrength

I still think Cosmic Marvel is dead.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loki situation was different. He was in exile, had nothing anymore.

Ronan had an army as his command.

Loki is obviously more dependent on the help he was getting, Ronan was not.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Nopes

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Guardiandevil83

Thanos left Nebula to either die or mutilate herself to escape these alien nets in the comic tied to this film. He would just adopt others. The Corps knew how cold he was. Oh and Drax, Rocket and Groot need there own film.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

Haven't seen GotG so I can't comment on his appearance in that, but from what I've heard it was only 2 minutes at most. I think we should wait for him to get a real appearance to judge.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#14 frozen  Moderator

@thecannon: The appearance in GOTG was a full talking scene. It was a good indication, to say the least. And it was awesome.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beaconofstrength: *reads comment* *tears*. Was Gamora even thinking/hoping Thanos would come get her ? I think he will be great and will be awesome

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

You know what? I think Marvel is doing more in the comics to ruin Thanos simply by over-exposing him the same way they did Deadpool. Only this case the ruin will come about when he starts bumping into things he either cant or have great difficult beating, which ruins his rep as the baddest mf in the cosmos. But lets take it by the paragraphs:

The Servant: honestly I was glad to see what happened to him in GoTG, because he was an irritating cliche that only served to drum up Thanos' evil. Something Thanos doesn't need people for, he just leans a little forwards from his seat and he should be there. As for movie goers, obviously comic readers will know Thanos on sight, but honestly, I dont think any non-reader could mistake Thanos for a good guy if they saw him.

The Daughter: Well actually she isn't, not in any biological sense. That aside, Thanos has a massive reputation, as the movie underlines and I am pretty sure part of it is due to what he does to failures. Would he get angry at Gamora's death in some backwater jail? I seriously doubt it, doesn't mean he wouldn't destroy it though.

The Scene: Quite frankly I think it was the most Thanos'ish response and acting one could expect, the guy is practically a god, he's so powerful that no one can really threaten him, so why should he do anything other than talk down to lesser beings when he also knows they don't have the guts to raise their hand against him?

The Ronan: Considering Ronan is a religious fanatic and not a scientist, being foolish and overestimating himself is part of his character, plus at this stage Thanos is the most powerful being in the universe, just not when the Infinity Stones start showing up, which is the same as the comics.

Thanos left Nebula to either die or mutilate herself to escape these alien nets in the comic tied to this film. He would just adopt others. The Corps knew how cold he was. Oh and Drax, Rocket and Groot need there own film.

Wasn't that Gamora btw? And Thanos just sent a message?

whoisme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By whoisme

@outside_85: You know what? I think Marvel is doing more in the comics to ruin Thanos simply by over-exposing him the same way they did Deadpool. Only this case the ruin will come about when he starts bumping into things he either cant or have great difficult beating, which ruins his rep as the baddest mf in the cosmos. But lets take it by the paragraphs:

I wouldn't know, I don't read the comics.

The Servant: honestly I was glad to see what happened to him in GoTG, because he was an irritating cliche that only served to drum up Thanos' evil. Something Thanos doesn't need people for, he just leans a little forwards from his seat and he should be there. As for movie goers, obviously comic readers will know Thanos on sight, but honestly, I dont think any non-reader could mistake Thanos for a good guy if they saw him.

He was a cliche done in a very creative way. As someone who doesn't read the comics, I loved him drumming up Thanos's evil. He was a great way of letting us see how much of a threat Thanos is without giving too much of Thanos away and making him less ominous.

The Daughter: Well actually she isn't, not in any biological sense. That aside, Thanos has a massive reputation, as the movie underlines and I am pretty sure part of it is due to what he does to failures. Would he get angry at Gamora's death in some backwater jail? I seriously doubt it, doesn't mean he wouldn't destroy it though.

You have to understand, I don't read the comics. I need a reason to care about Thanos or at least see him as a threat. He has a massive reputation, but for what exactly? What does he stand for, what do people think of him, what has he done to make people afraid of him? Guardians of the Galaxy has done nothing to tell me or make me curious to find out.

The Scene: Quite frankly I think it was the most Thanos'ish response and acting one could expect, the guy is practically a god, he's so powerful that no one can really threaten him, so why should he do anything other than talk down to lesser beings when he also knows they don't have the guts to raise their hand against him?

Yeah, he thinks he is a god. Anyone can think they are a god, that doesn't make them threatening. Showing that they have the power to back it up, that's threatening. The entire movie Thanos just sits there and grumbles.

The Ronan: Considering Ronan is a religious fanatic and not a scientist, being foolish and overestimating himself is part of his character, plus at this stage Thanos is the most powerful being in the universe, just not when the Infinity Stones start showing up, which is the same as the comics.

The movie was more from Ronan's point of view than Thanos's point of view. So, as someone who doesn't read the comics, when Ronan thinks that Thanos is nothing to worry about, I believe him.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos daughter being treated that way is no big deal. I don't care about her , Thanos is the one whose a big deal.

And yeah that's a result of marvel movies never being serious. I believe when he shows up in avengers he will be the same as he was in the first one though. That was awesome.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Guardiandevil83

@outside_85 said:

You know what? I think Marvel is doing more in the comics to ruin Thanos simply by over-exposing him the same way they did Deadpool. Only this case the ruin will come about when he starts bumping into things he either cant or have great difficult beating, which ruins his rep as the baddest mf in the cosmos. But lets take it by the paragraphs:

@guardiandevil83 said:

Wasn't that Gamora btw? And Thanos just sent a message?

True. But Thanos gave the order. I also agree with everything you said. People like his servant the Other dying means little to him. As for the op. It is an insult to think that Thanos should be insulted by fleas.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I accept the marvel movie universe as it's own,a nd some creative differences will apply. I don't think he will be ruined because I don't think they will keep him 100% accurate to begin with. I know people who have not seen gotg and decided to hate it because rocket doesn't have the accent and his back story is slightly different. Well I am sorry but it's 2014 no movie to date has gotten the super heroes 100% comic accurate. as long as thanos is a big threat, which he seems to be, then go for it.

TyranniumOpus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TyranniumOpus

Well as long as they can continue to build the image of how big of a threat he is, I'm fine with MCU's Thanos.

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel is raising the bar pretty high for Thanos, he's probably going to be the bad guy of Avengers 3 and that's going to be the climax of the the MCU so it's easy to view scenes like the guardians of the galaxy as disappointing just because they aren't by definition awesome.

I thin they did waste a bit of an opportunity to build Thanos up by showing how powerful and intimidating he is but they didn't bring him down either. Personally though I prefer Thanos with a rough British accent like he had in the Silver Surfer cartoon. Also I didn't really like the armor but I don't think that's going to be a recurring problem for future films as they'll probably give him a better suit.

Another thing worth mentioning that most people didn't notice is how Loki's motivation in Thor: The dark world is related to the Avengers. As the OP mentioned Loki was told that if he failed that "you will wish for something as sweet as pain". This is what spurs him to use the Malekith situation as leverage to take the throne. Loki knows that Thanos is coming for him and so he's made sure everyone thinks he's dead and that he has a country of gods ready to defend him.

I sincerely doubt Thanos could be so easily tricked and that in Avengers 3 Loki will pay the price for failure.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By danhimself

How the hell does an out of canon appearance ruin a character for you? Chill out

Avatar image for Oreoassassin421
OreoAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have faith in Marvel

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Spidey_Jackson

I have to admit. When he smiled in GotG, it creeped me out.

Beata

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks has been in what two movies so far??? Thanos has had how many lines about 10? So let's wait a while before we judge...

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WAY too early to make a judgement like this.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

@slimj87d said:

Loki situation was different. He was in exile, had nothing anymore.

Ronan had an army as his command.

Loki is obviously more dependent on the help he was getting, Ronan was not.

Not to mention Ronan had an Infinity Gem as well, which is what gave him the guts to even stand against Thanos in the movie. Before he had it, he was just as afraid of Thanos as anyone else.

Honestly I felt Thanos was even more intimidating in GotG than he was in Avengers. Even though he's only in the film for that short bit, you got the sense that this guy was something to worry about. He never once seemed afraid or even impressed by anything. When Ronan killed The Other (Thanos' servant), he couldn't have cared less. Even when Ronan had the Infinity Gem and was threatening Thanos, he simply ignored Ronan like he was nothing.

Personally I like that they're giving Thanos subtle scenes, giving us just enough to give us the idea that this is someone you don't mess with, but holding enough of him back so that when we finally see what he's made of, it'll be worth the wait. That's probably my favorite part in GotG, as we see Thanos and can sense that this is a dude you no one messes with, and the guy never even got out of his freakin' chair.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure Thanos will spend 20 mins of a movie telling jokes like the other Marvel characters do.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll wait and see. I had the same concerns and probably could have done without the last scene Thanos had in the film. Still didn't ruin him though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

His 38 seconds so far havent hurt the character.

ShaoKahn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos and Marvel sucks

lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't worry, all of Marvels villains suck lol

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Noone301994

Yeah they kind of crapped on him in GotG but I'm sure they'll do him justice in the next one.

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I really didn't feel the same level of intimidation I had gotten from his brief moments in Avengers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's weird how apathetic audience reactions have been to the character. I thought people would be excited and stoked to see him make a full appearance, instead of just get "...".

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah they kind of crapped on him in GotG but I'm sure they'll do him justice in the next one.

Yae i heard he will appear in age of ultron so heres hoping he has a badass moment in it.

Avatar image for deactivated-1351355
deactivated-1351355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be more worried about Brolin ruining Thanos than Marvel. Brolin sucks.

Luckily he is just the voice.

Xrated48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

For me it's too early to tell, he only made 2 appearances and even though I have seen guardians of the galaxy I can't remember the scene that much other than thanos sitting and talking to Ronan lol but than again I have only seen the movie once

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On a sidenote, this poll would have been much better with only about 3-4 answers rather than 7. Most of those answers seemed redundant

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noone301994 said:

Yae i heard he will appear in age of ultron so heres hoping he has a badass moment in it.

If he's gonna be in it I doubt it'll be anything to write home about. He'll probably be in a end-credits scene if that's the case and there isn't much time for him to be badass in those.

Harriso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too soon to tell.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@those_eyes said:

@noone301994 said:

If he's gonna be in it I doubt it'll be anything to write home about. He'll probably be in a end-credits scene if that's the case and there isn't much time for him to be badass in those.

All he needs is to stomp somebody and everyone will probably go all hype mode. Doesnt need a long scene to do that.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@those_eyes: Good point. They could even show him standing next to the bodies of an army or something.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they need to do more to build him up. His avengers cameo was underwhelming. He was a little better in GOtG but just sat in a chair. Hard to fear him. People who don't read comics (most of the general audience) don't know hardly anything about Thanos and have little reason to see him as a huge threat that he should be. They could've done more with him in GOTG IMO. As long as they have him stomp out Hulk I will be happy though. They need to show his power, and not just imply it.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes.