Is Marvel rebooting their universe with Secret Wars?

• 53 results
BigMan1227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BigMan1227
No Caption Provided

Ok, so after all the things that have been released about Secret Wars, I have come to a conclusion. Marvel is rebooting. They are combining their multiverse. The "event" teasers aren't just alternate realities on battleworld. Each teaser will be used to reshape marvel's history over the past 50ish years (13 in comic book years). Axel Alonso himself said (in the weekly interview he has with Comic Book Resources) that Secret Wars and Avengers issue 1 are being given away for free on Free Comic Book day so that new and casual readers could get into a "transformed universe". Of course, CBR told him that fans would get nervous about a " transformed universe" . So he told them that there is "no Marvel universe but Battleworld" . Yes. He said that. (source: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=57915)

The trailer for Secret Wars ended with the logo " All New Marvel". So we should have expected that Battleworld is the reboot. Personally, I can't wait at all. They are going all out with this. What do you guys think?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

It seems more likely now.

Avatar image for marvete_e_dcnauta
Marvete_e_DCnauta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Makes sense.Goodbye continuity errors,hello new continuity errors.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, it is a reboot

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a full 52 type reboot IMO, more likely a retcon to fix things ie. Days of Future Past (movie) and a way for them to bring in Miracle Man into Marvel Universe proper.

Zelos797

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

probably a bit like Zero Hour i guess...

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Well they were willing to cancel the FF and change the Maximoff twins, so yeah I think they will. Most likely the new universe will very very closely resemble the MCU.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

It's just shock marketing

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think so.

69ball-z-deep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BigMan1227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@earthsmightiest: i know right!! I want Miracle Man in the main marvel universe. They did it with angela, they should do it with Miracle Man

BigMan1227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BigMan1227
dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

They sure are milking the idea and speculation out of it.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@earthsmightiest: i know right!! I want Miracle Man in the main marvel universe. They did it with angela, they should do it with Miracle Man

Miracle Man only works because he has his own universe.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#16 SC  Moderator

It might be, but seeing this thread/opinion every six months has made my cynical about how people come to this conclusion that Marvel is rebooting. The reasons never actually weigh up well. That and more importantly Marvels promotional/advertising routine is usually more about reinvention than rebooting, or specifically trying to hype up change, as both a new jumping point for readers and shaking things up for regular fans who are getting a bit bored. So Marvel tries to aim for the best of both worlds and there are a lot of fans and creators that do not want a reboot. Compare how Marvel brought on Marvel Now a few months after the DC New 52. It was a cunning and smart move because Marvel could see how DC would do and learn from their mistakes and success. Numbers wise Marvel was more successful, arguably more successful creatively too, DC basically had to take all the risk, they couldn't have the same advantages, but they sort of had to, to make up for loss ground, Marvel doesn't need to do that, then or now. Too much risk, given their strong standing.

So again, it would seem more likely that Marvel is just hyping "Marvel Now 3.0" or something else, the same way ever years Marvel event is going to change everything, be the be all to end all, going to affect the cosmos, change things for ever, do what you never expected that would, etc etc but who knows, maybe they are going to reboot, I am no fortune teller.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that they are too pompous to call it a reboot.

Etheral_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First DC, now Marvel. I suppose it's a good thing for new and casual readers, but it won't be liked by devoted fans a la Comic Vine users.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I honestly hope so

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

Maybe or maybe not.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whatever makes it so AVX, Seige, OMD and Fear Itself didn't happen is ok by me.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 559

Only time will tell.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel kind of needs to reboot, like how DC needed COIE to happen. At this point it'd be pretty much impossible for new readers to catch up and like it or not the Industry needs new readers. And don't bring up the movies because we all know that outside of a temporary sales bump the movie fans are not a dependable source of new readers.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CaptainHoopla

No, they are not rebooting. More likely "rearranging" a few issues and status quo's. It's a major event, nothing will be the same after. You know, that old chestnut. Of course, they'll be promoting the next event before this one even actually starts.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

We won't know until it comes out, so speculation seems pointless to me.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cataclysm was the "death" of the ultimate universe

Marvel now was the "ripoff" version of the new 52 "reboot"

age of ultron was cannon and would change the marvel universe forever another "reboot"

I have seen reboot come up a few times. It could happen sooner or later but I don't think so.

Benk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they will retcon some stuff but not reboot. they would not have made a new thor and captain america if they wanted to reboot.

Avatar image for heirtothekingdom
HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#31 god_spawn  Moderator

Some retcons here and there but not a reboot.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 the_stegman  Moderator

@sc said:

It might be, but seeing this thread/opinion every six months has made my cynical about how people come to this conclusion that Marvel is rebooting. The reasons never actually weigh up well. That and more importantly Marvels promotional/advertising routine is usually more about reinvention than rebooting, or specifically trying to hype up change, as both a new jumping point for readers and shaking things up for regular fans who are getting a bit bored. So Marvel tries to aim for the best of both worlds and there are a lot of fans and creators that do not want a reboot. Compare how Marvel brought on Marvel Now a few months after the DC New 52. It was a cunning and smart move because Marvel could see how DC would do and learn from their mistakes and success. Numbers wise Marvel was more successful, arguably more successful creatively too, DC basically had to take all the risk, they couldn't have the same advantages, but they sort of had to, to make up for loss ground, Marvel doesn't need to do that, then or now. Too much risk, given their strong standing.

So again, it would seem more likely that Marvel is just hyping "Marvel Now 3.0" or something else, the same way ever years Marvel event is going to change everything, be the be all to end all, going to affect the cosmos, change things for ever, do what you never expected that would, etc etc but who knows, maybe they are going to reboot, I am no fortune teller.

Pretty much this.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If they do, I'll be done with Marvel for good just like I am with DC. I've got absolutely no problem having all Image titles on my pull list.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they do, I'll be done with Marvel for good just like I am with DC. I've got absolutely no problem having all Image titles on my pull list.

You wouldn't even test out Marvel Comics - The New Cinematic 52? You would just drop everything?

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By Transformers1024

@arturocalakayvee: I would drop those books in a second and wouldn't think twice about it. Honestly, I've been tempted to drop all my Marvel books well before Secret Wars was even announced. Their books just aren't really cutting it for me anymore when there are so many great, high quality stories that Image is putting out month after month that I would much rather be supporting than a $4 "fan" service month after month over at Marvel.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee: I would drop those books in a second and wouldn't think twice about it. Honestly, I've been tempted to drop all my Marvel books well before Secret Wars was even announced. Their books just aren't really cutting it for me anymore when there are so many great, high quality stories that Image is putting out month after month that I would much rather be supporting than a $4 "fan" service month after month over at Marvel.

Well, as you know in PM, I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I just can't give in to dropping the rest of my pull. If Marvel rebooted, It'd be a lot easier for me to slim down the books until they make Peter Parker a different race which will set me off and drop Marvel for ever. Lol

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 god_spawn  Moderator

For those that do believe this rumor, I do have a few questions. Why go through the trouble of making new versions of characters to just reboot them a few months later? Why make major retcons all of a sudden if they will just throw them away in a couple months? Why believe a reboot will happen when many writers and higher ups have denied said claims and also expressed their general dislike of complete reboots? Because of the money despite those sales lasting only so long, and even seeing how it worked on another major company?

Call me ignorant, blind, in denial or whatever you will, but honestly, what basis do some of you have for these claims?

lesterlawton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same here. Dc's lousy attempt at a reboot made me drop them altogether. If Marvel does the same, I'll just stop collecting & find another hobby.

BigMan1227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BigMan1227

@god_spawn: BTW it's not really a full continuity raping reboot. It's a combination of the marvel multiverse, killing off the counterparts and stuff. Keep in mind Marvel said Secret Wars would be a year long campaign, and crossing over many platforms. So I doubt they will just get rid of these versions of characters, they will keep them till at least 2016. Everyone knows when the mantle is passed it comes back pretty quickly (in most cases). This has happened to Cap and Thor before. We all know it's a sales gimmick. Also, theories I have for the rumors: 1) marvel will have no multiverse by the time secret Wars begins because the multiverse collapses on itself to create the Battle world. 2) this is most likely the doing of the Beyonder, since he is on the cover of New Avengers 29 and he is messing with Captain Universe, who IS the universe itself. 3)marvel said they are doing something they have never done in 75 years. smart fans will say that it can't be a reboot because marvel already did in heroes reborn. Well that was only a partial reboot and it only rebooted The Avengers and the Fantastic Four, and it was revealed to be a pocket universe called Counter Earth, and that earth might have something to do with secret Wars since it will be the earth of uncanny Avengers new run only 5 months before Secret Wars. 4) Axel Alonso called this a transformed marvel universe, and that there is "no marvel universe but battleworld." I did not make that up you can look it up(there's a link above). VERDICT : HONESTLY this probably isn't a full reboot. It's a fun and cool way to revisit many years of Marvel goodness (and crap considering AVX AND marville, two absolutely God awful stories, the latter being worse, might be in this). Also, Newsrama theorized about this in their list of top ten things that should happen in secret Wars. They talked about how they wanted battleworld to make a return since it was in the background of the secret Wars poster. Check. They also talked about how they wanted battleworld to somehow be the reboot world. Axel didn't call it a reboot, but he did say that is the marvel universe. The trailer mentioned all new marvel. Personally I believe all those "event" teasers won't just be ways to bring back those timelines, but also a way to retcon parts of marvel history, keep one version of every character and boom. It's a "reboot" but the marvel history is still canon just altered, and maybe the Fantastic Four will be replaced with another version, Miles Morales would remain in this world. It would be cool also that the events of secret Wars would be forgotten with only people like Miles and The Illuminati remembering what the universe used to be like. I'm pretty sure marvel would go more of that route. They want to "reboot" better than DC did because it lost a lot of fans that way. They want to get new fans while keeping the old.

BTW your thoughts and opinions are good I'm not going to call you ignorant or anything because I could be wrong. Marvel has said how they hate complete reboots, this WOULD half reboot marvel, replace some characters and possibly bring back some dead (Wolverine is dead but he's on most of the teasers but they are all most likely alternate versions of him). They would also probably shift the time scale. Not a full reboot, I bet they won't even call it that (Axel Alonso poked fun at that in an interview with Comic Book Resource by saying that things "will be different after the reb- I've said too much").

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they do reboot, they need to bring Prime and Nightman from Ultraverse into the main MU.

Also, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs. Maybe the Ferret.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@bigman1227: Brevoort confirmed that Secret Wars will probably be around 5 months long not too long ago on Tumblr. The year long time scale was just a thing posted on a rumor site iirc. But I appreciate the post, but I still see this as another marvel hype that "changes the marvel universe forever". But I could be wrong myself but i don't see much of anything happening after, most likely not even a partial reboot. Maybe some retcons here an there but that is it.

Avatar image for dathomiesilversurfer
DatHomieSilverSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope they reboot. Most of the characters I care about are in limbo or have turned into caricatures of their old selves. I despise current Peter Parker but Spider-Man is my favorite hero. The X-Men are unrecognizable and all of their storylines are redundant (oh, but this guy is an Omega Mutant! Totally different from an Alpha level mutant and moarbettar!) The F4 are almost completely irrelevant. Bendis has ruined the Cosmic Marvel, and Surfer has turned into a Doctor Who fan fic. Everything being released is being released to service the Marvel Cinematic Universe in some way, and to the detriment of the characters I care about.

The only reason Marvel has the avengers character licenses is bc no studio wanted them because Avengers comics sucked and the property wasn't worth anything compared to X-Men, Spider-Man, and the F4 universes. I'm sorry, the Avengers movies are cool but X-Men and Spider-man still outsell the Avengers, which is supposedly Marvels "big property"

SMH

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By judasnixon
No Caption Provided

BigMan1227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BigMan1227

@dathomiesilversurfer: I agree SO MUCH. The x men are shells of their old selves. Post Secret Wars I want the X-Men back to their former glory. I agree, no one gave two shits about the Avengers before the movies to be honest. They were literally b and c list characters in general. Here is what I want post secret wars: x men written by CHRIS CLAREMONT. Seriously, I don't want Bendis. Not that I don't like him but that his writing does not fit x men or guardians of the galaxy. I don't even know what books he should even write. I also hate how the past couple of years everything is the X-Men's fault. Post Secret Wars I want to have alternate versions of the X-Men to replace the current ones. Secret Wars is also a way to bring Xavier back , since he is on the X-Men92 poster.

Now for Spidey.....use Secret Wars to retcon the SHIT OUT OF HIM. Seriously, maybe even replace him with Ultimate Pete (he is confirmed to still be alive if you read the awesome Miles Morales Ultimate Spiderman series). I have no problem with current Spiderman it's just that many fans don't read Spiderman because of the bullshit retcon that is known as One More Day. They need to revitalize Spiderman, considering the absolutely terrible movie franchise known as Amazing Spider-Man. I still want Dan Slott writting he's done a fantastic job so far

SagePaths

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46  Edited By Claymore1998

I don't think that are rebooting but this might be something akin to House of M , where the whole reality gets changed for 1 story arc and everything gets fixed at the end.

All new marvel now , much like Marvel Now , might just be a new starting point for most users without actually rebooting the universe.

SagePaths

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: I thought those events where okay.Seige is continuation of Dark Reign.Seige was a story where Loki was manipulating Norman.Seige is Loki vs Norman vs Superheroes.The reboot will fix the continuity.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 god_spawn  Moderator

@claymore1998: I think the reboot thing has been spoiled already that they won't. I was going through some interviews maybe like 2 months old or so, and they've said things like one writer is on a book beyond 2015. I saw one mentioning that Marvel isn't reviving Wolverine for at least 2 years. If you reboot and won't revive one of your most popular characters, it seems redundant. And Marvel has a new slew of books coming out in the spring. Secret Wars is confirmed to be around 5 months or so. It wouldn't make sense to launch new books and then reboot at issue 4 or 5.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're not. I still find it funny that people think they are.

"They're rebooting because they're making Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch to be like the movies!!!" If they are already doing that what's the point of the reboot? They are already ahead of DC financially pretty much every month and not to mention they already announced a lot of new titles coming in 2015 makes zero sense they'd reboot. Like some have said they may retcon some stuff but a full blown reboot isn't happening.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@god_spawn:

Ah! Cool. Exactly what I thought, and as always thank you for an extremely informed reply. It's always a pleasure reading your replies.