Is Marvel REALLY more realistic than DC ?

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#201  Edited By SC  Moderator
@Mina319 said:

So its decided that marvel Is NOT more realistic then DC (Giant purple world eater is looking straight at you marvel fanboys who still believe that -____-)and there characters NOT more relatable since relatability is all preference and opinion

So its decided then ?

Nope, not decided. Its because the premise of that statement is far too complicated for a yes or no answer, beyond subjective discretion. Truth or false declarations. Since all these factors are relative and vary, but can have consistent objective values as well.  6 Billion people on the planet, and its well reasoned to say that fruit is more delicious than rocks, under the basis that almost all the people on Earth would prefer to fruit instead of rocks. They they would find fruit more delicious than rocks. Its also still accurate to say that even then its all preference and opinion. Then we could ask and think why majority of people prefer fruit over rocks? Get into definitions. Define delicious, and its characteristics. For humans, we have evolved to find fruit more delicious. Thus as an observation? Then again maybe we should ask Galactus?  

With the JLA/Avengers cross over the DC and Marvel writers/creative force behind the story, were candid about how DC setting = idealized projection, and Marvel setting reflective of a harsher reality. So in this context, this facet, single facet, its accurate to reason that Marvel is more realistic than DC. Those are just some writers though, and there are more variables, and this is just one facet. There as many complicated or relevant or important variables as a person wants. Not all of them will have a good basis though. Like this again. 

"I mean seriously I find this laughable, last time I checked radiation gives you cancer ( im looking at you hulk and spiderman !!)" 

Every day normal people are exposed to radiation. Does everyone have cancer? Does radiation give you cancer? Sure. Can radiation kill you? Sure. So can water. You can drink so much water you die. I guess that makes any comic a character drinks water laughable because they don't die? So the intended plan for a character like Hulk, as far as realism goes (realism =/= realistic) Is that radiation, especially the how, and why, and to what can cause mutation. Mutations can be spontaneous, unpredictable, unforeseeable, uncontrollable, and even hard to replicate. Mutations can also be subtle, and insignificant and mundane. Point is, in real life where have had people grow past 8 foot, some people have skin that looks more like wood than skin,  and some guys with arms bigger than other peoples entire bodies. Its mutation, its rare as far as its effects being that rare. In real life we can usually identify, how and why such things happen. Not always though. For thousands of years, those with easily discernible "mutations" were given supernatural agents. So its not realistic for Hulk to exist in real life, as he does in comics. In that its extremely unlikely. The basis for his being however can have its basis in realism. Hulk is just an exaggerated example of something that occurs in reality. Not just him, but many DC and Marvel character as well. Its relative. Except if a persons approach to radiation is as above? Where is the room for actual, objective reasoning with such a complicated, interesting and fun topic?  

So nothing will be decided, because so many people have different approaches and attitudes to such questions. 
Mina319

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#202  Edited By Mina319

@SC said:

@Mina319 said:

So its decided that marvel Is NOT more realistic then DC (Giant purple world eater is looking straight at you marvel fanboys who still believe that -____-)and there characters NOT more relatable since relatability is all preference and opinion

So its decided then ?

Nope, not decided. Its because the premise of that statement is far too complicated for a yes or no answer, beyond subjective discretion. Truth or false declarations. Since all these factors are relative and vary, but can have consistent objective values as well. 6 Billion people on the planet, and its well reasoned to say that fruit is more delicious than rocks, under the basis that almost all the people on Earth would prefer to fruit instead of rocks. They they would find fruit more delicious than rocks. Its also still accurate to say that even then its all preference and opinion. Then we could ask and think why majority of people prefer fruit over rocks? Get into definitions. Define delicious, and its characteristics. For humans, we have evolved to find fruit more delicious. Thus as an observation? Then again maybe we should ask Galactus? With the JLA/Avengers cross over the DC and Marvel writers/creative force behind the story, were candid about how DC setting = idealized projection, and Marvel setting reflective of a harsher reality. So in this context, this facet, single facet, its accurate to reason that Marvel is more realistic than DC. Those are just some writers though, and there are more variables, and this is just one facet. There as many complicated or relevant or important variables as a person wants. Not all of them will have a good basis though. Like this again. "I mean seriously I find this laughable, last time I checked radiation gives you cancer ( im looking at you hulk and spiderman !!)" Every day normal people are exposed to radiation. Does everyone have cancer? Does radiation give you cancer? Sure. Can radiation kill you? Sure. So can water. You can drink so much water you die. I guess that makes any comic a character drinks water laughable because they don't die? So the intended plan for a character like Hulk, as far as realism goes (realism =/= realistic) Is that radiation, especially the how, and why, and to what can cause mutation. Mutations can be spontaneous, unpredictable, unforeseeable, uncontrollable, and even hard to replicate. Mutations can also be subtle, and insignificant and mundane. Point is, in real life where have had people grow past 8 foot, some people have skin that looks more like wood than skin, and some guys with arms bigger than other peoples entire bodies. Its mutation, its rare as far as its effects being that rare. In real life we can usually identify, how and why such things happen. Not always though. For thousands of years, those with easily discernible "mutations" were given supernatural agents. So its not realistic for Hulk to exist in real life, as he does in comics. In that its extremely unlikely. The basis for his being however can have its basis in realism. Hulk is just an exaggerated example of something that occurs in reality. Not just him, but many DC and Marvel character as well. Its relative. Except if a persons approach to radiation is as above? Where is the room for actual, objective reasoning with such a complicated, interesting and fun topic? So nothing will be decided, because so many people have different approaches and attitudes to such questions.

Soooo basically everyone has their own opinion and preferences right ? awesome that was the entire point its just I hate it when I go to a comic book store or have a conversation about comics, They all look down on me when I say I like DC better than marvel "pffff you like lame superman and wonder woman, All dc has is batman marvel is soooo much more realistic"( in which I show them a picture of galactus and say "the same marvel that has this guy right" ?) there are so many fake marvel fans out there who think they know everything about marvel comics all because of the movies and marvel vs capcom 3 I used to love deadpool, deadpool was so much more awesome when he was that unknown guy that pops up every once in a while, but because of marvel vs capcom 3 some underage tweens say they know everything about deadpool after just reading 2 comics of the guy, but Im rambling here, my point here is that marvel was more realstic 20 years ago however nowadays thats not the case anymore DC has stepped up their game and have made their characters more interesting than marvel characters in my opinion.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#203  Edited By SC  Moderator
@Mina319 said:

Soooo basically everyone has their own opinion and preferences right ? awesome that was the entire point its just I hate it when I go to a comic book store or have a conversation about comics, They all look down on me when I say I like DC better than marvel "pffff you like lame superman and wonder woman, All dc has is batman marvel is soooo much more realistic"( in which I show them a picture of galactus and say "the same marvel that has this guy right" ?) there are so many fake marvel fans out there who think they know everything about marvel comics all because of the movies and marvel vs capcom 3 I used to love deadpool, deadpool was so much more awesome when he was that unknown guy that pops up every once in a while, but because of marvel vs capcom 3 some underage tweens say they know everything about deadpool after just reading 2 comics of the guy, but Im rambling here, my point here is that marvel was more realstic 20 years ago however nowadays thats not the case anymore DC has stepped up their game and have made their characters more interesting than marvel characters in my opinion.

No, not really. Basically if your looking for an accurate answer to thread title, you have to drop the basically bit. lol =D  

Simplistically and generally, everyone has there own opinion and preferences, but that doesn't mean there isn't any objective understanding to such things. Its fair to say Batman is a better character than say Smash, if we define the best as far as comic characters, being depth, quality of stories, consistency of character, themes that the character represents and distinguished defining characteristics. Then again, if we used a different definition for best, like say personal feelings and attitudes for, then a 8 year old who prefers Smash will say he is the better character, the best character. That's opinion and preference right there, then again if we look at the former definition we can reason rather well that Batman is a better fictional character. There can of course be overlap. 

Your point seems to be more about interaction with inarticulate and rude people (the people at your store looking down at you), and maybe they mean that Marvel to them is more grounded. Its arguable it is. Galactus isn't actually purple, or humanoid, but composed of sentient energy, and what we see is all our fragile human understandings can comprehend and Galactus doesn't appear too regularly in many comics anyway. I see your point, but in many ways the character has as much realism as Batman (intended to be human, but with superhuman feats) because if such a being in reality has been alive for 15 billion years, whose to say how or what that thing should be. Also realism and the quality of interest aren't related. Something does not need to be more real, for it to be more interesting.  

You could bring up to that guys in the comic store that realism isn't the sole factor of quality, and thus point at abstract art and expressive art, much more valuable and of value than hyper photorealistic art, so their reasoning for preferring Marvel in this respect is lacking. Both DC and Marvel have to balance between realism and fantastic to hold an appeal, and although they aren't identical, you can tell them that oversimplifying the matter only further serves to highlight their Marvel bias :)  

Hope that helps. 
Mina319

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By Mina319

@SC said:

@Mina319 said:

No, not really. Basically if your looking for an accurate answer to thread title, you have to drop the basically bit. lol =D Simplistically and generally, everyone has there own opinion and preferences, but that doesn't mean there isn't any objective understanding to such things. Its fair to say Batman is a better character than say Smash, if we define the best as far as comic characters, being depth, quality of stories, consistency of character, themes that the character represents and distinguished defining characteristics. Then again, if we used a different definition for best, like say personal feelings and attitudes for, then a 8 year old who prefers Smash will say he is the better character, the best character. That's opinion and preference right there, then again if we look at the former definition we can reason rather well that Batman is a better fictional character. There can of course be overlap. Your point seems to be more about interaction with inarticulate and rude people (the people at your store looking down at you), and maybe they mean that Marvel to them is more grounded. Its arguable it is. Galactus isn't actually purple, or humanoid, but composed of sentient energy, and what we see is all our fragile human understandings can comprehend and Galactus doesn't appear too regularly in many comics anyway. I see your point, but in many ways the character has as much realism as Batman (intended to be human, but with superhuman feats) because if such a being in reality has been alive for 15 billion years, whose to say how or what that thing should be. Also realism and the quality of interest aren't related. Something does not need to be more real, for it to be more interesting. You could bring up to that guys in the comic store that realism isn't the sole factor of quality, and thus point at abstract art and expressive art, much more valuable and of value than hyper photorealistic art, so their reasoning for preferring Marvel in this respect is lacking. Both DC and Marvel have to balance between realism and fantastic to hold an appeal, and although they aren't identical, you can tell them that oversimplifying the matter only further serves to highlight their Marvel bias :) Hope that helps.

Thanks for that

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@SC said:

@Mina319 said:

No, not really. Basically if your looking for an accurate answer to thread title, you have to drop the basically bit. lol =D Simplistically and generally, everyone has there own opinion and preferences, but that doesn't mean there isn't any objective understanding to such things. Its fair to say Batman is a better character than say Smash, if we define the best as far as comic characters, being depth, quality of stories, consistency of character, themes that the character represents and distinguished defining characteristics. Then again, if we used a different definition for best, like say personal feelings and attitudes for, then a 8 year old who prefers Smash will say he is the better character, the best character. That's opinion and preference right there, then again if we look at the former definition we can reason rather well that Batman is a better fictional character. There can of course be overlap. Your point seems to be more about interaction with inarticulate and rude people (the people at your store looking down at you), and maybe they mean that Marvel to them is more grounded. Its arguable it is. Galactus isn't actually purple, or humanoid, but composed of sentient energy, and what we see is all our fragile human understandings can comprehend and Galactus doesn't appear too regularly in many comics anyway. I see your point, but in many ways the character has as much realism as Batman (intended to be human, but with superhuman feats) because if such a being in reality has been alive for 15 billion years, whose to say how or what that thing should be. Also realism and the quality of interest aren't related. Something does not need to be more real, for it to be more interesting. You could bring up to that guys in the comic store that realism isn't the sole factor of quality, and thus point at abstract art and expressive art, much more valuable and of value than hyper photorealistic art, so their reasoning for preferring Marvel in this respect is lacking. Both DC and Marvel have to balance between realism and fantastic to hold an appeal, and although they aren't identical, you can tell them that oversimplifying the matter only further serves to highlight their Marvel bias :) Hope that helps.

@Mina319 said:

@SC said:

@Mina319 said:

So its decided then ?

Nope, not decided. Its because the premise of that statement is far too complicated for a yes or no answer, beyond subjective discretion. Truth or false declarations. Since all these factors are relative and vary, but can have consistent objective values as well. 6 Billion people on the planet, and its well reasoned to say that fruit is more delicious than rocks, under the basis that almost all the people on Earth would prefer to fruit instead of rocks. They they would find fruit more delicious than rocks. Its also still accurate to say that even then its all preference and opinion. Then we could ask and think why majority of people prefer fruit over rocks? Get into definitions. Define delicious, and its characteristics. For humans, we have evolved to find fruit more delicious. Thus as an observation? Then again maybe we should ask Galactus? With the JLA/Avengers cross over the DC and Marvel writers/creative force behind the story, were candid about how DC setting = idealized projection, and Marvel setting reflective of a harsher reality. So in this context, this facet, single facet, its accurate to reason that Marvel is more realistic than DC. Those are just some writers though, and there are more variables, and this is just one facet. There as many complicated or relevant or important variables as a person wants. Not all of them will have a good basis though. Like this again. "I mean seriously I find this laughable, last time I checked radiation gives you cancer ( im looking at you hulk and spiderman !!)" Every day normal people are exposed to radiation. Does everyone have cancer? Does radiation give you cancer? Sure. Can radiation kill you? Sure. So can water. You can drink so much water you die. I guess that makes any comic a character drinks water laughable because they don't die? So the intended plan for a character like Hulk, as far as realism goes (realism =/= realistic) Is that radiation, especially the how, and why, and to what can cause mutation. Mutations can be spontaneous, unpredictable, unforeseeable, uncontrollable, and even hard to replicate. Mutations can also be subtle, and insignificant and mundane. Point is, in real life where have had people grow past 8 foot, some people have skin that looks more like wood than skin, and some guys with arms bigger than other peoples entire bodies. Its mutation, its rare as far as its effects being that rare. In real life we can usually identify, how and why such things happen. Not always though. For thousands of years, those with easily discernible "mutations" were given supernatural agents. So its not realistic for Hulk to exist in real life, as he does in comics. In that its extremely unlikely. The basis for his being however can have its basis in realism. Hulk is just an exaggerated example of something that occurs in reality. Not just him, but many DC and Marvel character as well. Its relative. Except if a persons approach to radiation is as above? Where is the room for actual, objective reasoning with such a complicated, interesting and fun topic? So nothing will be decided, because so many people have different approaches and attitudes to such questions.

@SC said:

@Mina319 said:

So its decided then ?

Essentially, they're both unrealistic, Marvel is just more unrelatable.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#206  Edited By Supreme Marvel

I don't read comics for their realistic nature. I read them to take me out of the world I am currently stuck in. I love a story that can be crazy but coherent at the same time.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Neither,It's just comics. don't take your fiction so seriously cats....

Aarsilade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By Aarsilade

Traditionally, Marvel was always more realistic than DC. Gradually, though, with all the retconning that has been going on in their comics, they've lost a lot of that realism. Bad stories and bad writing eventually doomed DC to a perpetual hell of rebooting, and that seems to be the eventual fate of Marvel. A shame, because so many of their classic heroes had developed beyond their strange origin stories and had become much more "human" than DCs overly iconic characters.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@Aarsilade said:

Traditionally, Marvel was always more realistic than DC. Gradually, though, with all the retconning that has been going on in their comics, they've lost a lot of that realism. Bad stories and bad writing eventually doomed DC to a perpetual hell of rebooting, and that seems to be the eventual fate of Marvel. A shame, because so many of their classic heroes had developed beyond their strange origin stories and had become much more "human" than DCs overly iconic characters.

DCforLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By DCforLife

I also prefer to read comics and watch comic cartoons that are NOT relatable or realistic so that I can take my mind off my own life and my own problems, and the 'real world'. If I'm in the mood for something more realistic, I'll watch an ep of Batman TAS that doesn't involve someone like Bane or Clayface lol.

I like to imagine how I'd react to a character's situation if I were in his/her place.

On the other hand, I actually can RELATE to Martian Manhunter for a very weird reason, I suppose: I sometimes feel like an alien around other people cos I don't understand what drives them to do what they do (or not do) and it actually makes me afraid of them in certain situations (my social anxiety disorder :P) because their behavior seems unpredictable to me! This means I don't always feel comfortable around new ppl cos I don't know if I can trust them to be consistently as nice as they appear to be, on the surface, and I'm afraid: not so much of rejection but of having an adverse impact on the world around me, which I always strive to avoid.

I also feel CHALLENGED in a good way when I learn about characters that respond to situations I can't relate to, in ways I can't predict, and therefore that gives me a new way to look at life; a new way to think. Then, I get to see the consequences of those characters' actions or lack of action and how they deal with that. I don't have to relate to characters to imagine being in their place, but I can compare my own emotional reactions to theirs.

Someone said that the 'science' behind explaining Marvel characters' super-powers is more realistic. I think the poster meant they TRY to make a scientific explanation for their powers that based on real-world science, but it's star-trek science: it's theoretical at best, and virtually all impossible at worst lol.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#212  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@Glitch_Spawn said:

@JediXMan said:

Too lazy; didn't read. Both have heroes in capes fighting aliens from other planets and alternate timelines. Neither of them are realistic.

lol, harsh

*shrug*

xtremekidx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By xtremekidx

as some people here say,superman,batman and wonder woman arent all DC offers...if you want someone you could relate to im sure you can find it in someone like dick grayson,wally west or someone else entirely because you need to understand that DC isnt just metropolis and gotham city and the green lantern...there are so many characters and you are bound to be related to someone....ive recently started with marvel and even though i enjoy some titles like thor-god of thunder and xmen titles,its not because they are relatable at all its because they are good stories...

millennium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By millennium

both of them dont have a whole lot of realistic tones in their companys dc will at least try and fix broken characters to make them better but marvel on the other hand will keep their broken characters and just put band aid after band aid over the wound of bad character designs in the hopes that one of them sticks but from what i have seen dc has been trying to do more of a realistic fell in their books with the new 52 but mostly in the shows / movies

JimTheSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#215  Edited By JimTheSurfer

I think DC is more realistic. And this come from Marvel comics reader (I read some DC tittles too tough, and they are pretty awesome). But on the other hand Marvel universe is not meant to be realistic. And Marvel comics aren't about our, but about 616 universe, where NY is filled with superheroes, while rest of the world has maybe two or three.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jnr6Lil

@Aarsilade said:

This
SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By SmashBrawler

Both have weird, crazy sh!t coming from the far reaches of the universe.

Neither is realistic.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

I agree, I don't think Marvel is more realistic. I just think they explore many of their characters more than DC does. There are absolutely exceptions to this rule though. I also agree that DC doesn't take itself too seriously.

80sBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By 80sBaby

The idea that Marvel is more "relatable" or "realistic" than DC hasn't been true for a loooooooong time now.

Skunkstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By Skunkstein

They arent more realistic....

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By SandMan_

Not all comics are not supposed to be realistic....Whatever happened to the wonder and fantasy about it?

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By CrimsonCake

@SandMan_ said:

Not all comics are not supposed to be realistic....Whatever happened to the wonder and fantasy about it?

The Silver-Age ended :/

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

I guess Marvel has more realistic heores. DC mostly has Batman.

ImmortalOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#224  Edited By ImmortalOne

@MadeinBangladesh said:

I guess Marvel has more realistic heores. DC mostly has Batman.

I have to disagree.

DC's street levelers are mostly made of the Bat-family and the Arrows, most who don't have super powers.

However, even Marvel's street levelers have a degree of fiction to them. For example, Daredevil has sonar sense, Captain America has the super soldier serum, Bucky has a robotic arm, Wolverine is a mutant who has an Adamantium skeleton, Black Widow has a version of the SSS, and Spiderman has superpowers.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#225  Edited By lightsout

On the pure basic idea of character-relatability (/ "they have problems too!") I definitely agree that it's most likely a case of people not having a lot of experience reading DC comics. If you look at each company's most popular characters, sure DC's are hyper-powered like Supes or Wonder Woman** while Marvel's are more "specialized" (Spiderman has spider powers, Wolverine can heal & has claws, etc) - but that has nothing to do with relatability (more so towards interesting stories, if you believe a hyper-powered hero can't have one). This is likely where the idea Marvel characters are more relateable comes from.

**and for some reason people seem to count Batman's wealth as a reason he's not relateable, which I don't understand because Batman's character is basically built around being angry/sad over an event that happened ~30+ years ago. It's obvious he has problems.

But if you pick up a DC title, their characters definitely have problems. Many of them are moody/broody (even Supes!). I think this is a myth that just keeps being spread because of the aforementioned misconception.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By Spidey_Jackson

it's funny marvel is supposed to be unrealistic but is more realistic than dc it has more relatable charcters yeah superman's realatble we all strugle weather or not to use our god like powers for good or evil plus dc makes there heroes nearly invincible superman again used be a really strong dude now he's almost freakin ominpotent And dc has cartoonish characters while marvel dosen't i mean siganl man crazy quilt calendar man the penny ponderer the eraser need i go on? also most of marvel heroes aren't even real heroes. ghost rider punisher blade elektra and dc's heroes all have cartoony get ups capes and tights name ten marvel characters who were capes and tights. Some of them even have names that foreshadow there villain names that just screams cartoon.

jobbernos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By jobbernos

no.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By Eternal19

@Spidey_Jackson said:

it's funny marvel is supposed to be unrealistic but is more realistic than dc it has more relatable charcters yeah superman's realatble we all strugle weather or not to use our god like powers for good or evil plus dc makes there heroes nearly invincible superman again used be a really strong dude now he's almost freakin ominpotent And dc has cartoonish characters while marvel dosen't i mean siganl man crazy quilt calendar man the penny ponderer the eraser need i go on? also most of marvel heroes aren't even real heroes. ghost rider punisher blade elektra and dc's heroes all have cartoony get ups capes and tights name ten marvel characters who were capes and tights. Some of them even have names that foreshadow there villain names that just screams cartoon.

This post screams fanboy.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By Jnr6Lil

Nowadays the roles have either switched, or both are realistic/non realistic.

UltraBiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By UltraBiel

After reading this post I'm starting to ask myself what realistic in this forum means exactly.

This is a question not a statement: Is a normal human being able to do impossible things more realistic than a human enhanced trough advanced tecnologic/ magic / Genetic developement doing the same thing?

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By z3ro180

if you pick up a comic from DC or Marvel and expetc it to be realalistic then you should not be reading those comics

PurpleCandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By PurpleCandy

@JediXMan said:

Too lazy; didn't read. Both have heroes in capes fighting aliens from other planets and alternate timelines. Neither of them are realistic.

Same but its easy to get the point

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I agree.

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In terms of science, I think Marvel has easier explanations for their characters/universe, DC is a lot more complicated.

Marvel is more realistic when it comes to character arcs... Heck they started it, DC followed on later...

I can get why people say Marvel is more realistic (I'm one of those people).

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hmmmmmmmmmmm..........

MarlboroMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnr6lil said:

@Theworldbreaker said:

In someways Marvel is more realistic, in other ways they are both equaly fucking rediculous.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By RustyRoy

DC is more relatable and realistic IMO.

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand DC fanboys... Some get pissy over people saying that Marvel is more relatable and realistic but other DC fanboys like to chant over how DC isn't supposed to be realistic and that it's a superior universe...

Avatar image for cezar_thescribe
Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Why are people looking for realism in a comic book?

@Mina319: Edit your post. Cursing isn't allowed on this site.

But, sex stuff is? 0.o

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By dum529001

After reading this post I'm starting to ask myself what realistic in this forum means exactly.

This is a question not a statement: Is a normal human being able to do impossible things more realistic than a human enhanced trough advanced tecnologic/ magic / Genetic developement doing the same thing?

ha ha.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

@deadcool said:

No, none of them is realistic...

agreed.

Avatar image for averageinsanity
AverageInsanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By AverageInsanity

Honestly, they both have that perfect blend of realistic meets fantasy.

Dc and marvel both have powerless superheroes and aliens. Dc has more.

As for earths supers. Pretty much all of Dc's got their powers from science. Like Deathstrok, flash, atom, plasticman and almost everyone else. With a few exception like the supernatural, elemental, and demonic. But those aren't human or were human.

Marvel has the whole adding in another race, the mutants thing. Plus adding in their own earth materials like Adamentium and vibranium. Nth and Kyrptonite aren't from earth iirc. I could be wrong about kyrptonite (new to comics). But nth isn't earthly.

RetconCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither of them are realistic. Both involve cosmic beings who try to take over/destroy the omniverse, beings who can regenerate from simple cells (Marvel actually has more healing factor characters), and beings who are gifted with powers from gods. Both have people wearing capes who can lift 100,000+ tons and fly without any means of flying besides lifting their arms and floating away, defying physics and gravity. Then again, who honestly, truly cares about relatability and realism? As long as the story is good or the characters are fun and/or interesting, why does it have to be characters we can relate with? Can we relate with Superman, Batman, or Thor? Barely, but they are the most popular heroes out there. Sure Spiderman has relatability, but most watch him for his entertaining humor and good story arcs and fun-loving comics. The reason why superheroes were made was to create an awe of unrealism to entertain.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Neither of them are realistic. Both involve cosmic beings who try to take over/destroy the omniverse, beings who can regenerate from simple cells (Marvel actually has more healing factor characters), and beings who are gifted with powers from gods. Both have people wearing capes who can lift 100,000+ tons and fly without any means of flying besides lifting their arms and floating away, defying physics and gravity. Then again, who honestly, truly cares about relatability and realism? As long as the story is good or the characters are fun and/or interesting, why does it have to be characters we can relate with? Can we relate with Superman, Batman, or Thor? Barely, but they are the most popular heroes out there. Sure Spiderman has relatability, but most watch him for his entertaining humor and good story arcs and fun-loving comics. The reason why superheroes were made was to create an awe of unrealism to entertain.

Bingo.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#245  Edited By Captain13

I'd say Marvel's heroes have more realistic personalities (The FF, Spider-man, Iron-Man, Cap, Thor, Daredevil, Luke Cage, Danny Rand, etc.). They also seem to have a larger street-level universe.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@retconcrisis said:

Bingo.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

Being Ideal and/or relatable should be moments part of the character not the complete character. The sad part is not everyone can agree with the change. They are not even taking into consideration they just do not want it because that will damage vision they had for that character. Here is important part that can’t be that way forever. If it is that way it is kind of tragedy.

Most Ideals or parts the make that ideal character change over time, because there is a chance that they may be wrong now that we realize it.

Being relatable varies from person to person. We can go psychological study on each character and how they may effect certain person. It is like ink blots. As character grows they may like the image that you thought of them. Instead of reminiscing of the past and marvel the changes, we have thought that they were are the ideal that is preferred. Instead of questioning the change aggressive behavior has been default option.

tragidii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The reason why marvel is more realistic than DC is it's status quo. Like real life anything done in a marvel comic is permanent. If you read it you would know every event leaves a lasting stain on marvel history and characters history. Dc characters barely change outside reboots. Marvel is one long story where the status quo constantly change. Tony stark plays the role of hero and villains so do others. But some Don't come back from being a villain some die and get replaced. Some get replaced. Where 5th gen marvel and still first/third gen (arguably forth) Dc with the refusal to get rid of first gen characters to the point of making them younger.

Imperfect_Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope.

josephgomes619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel is not realistic, it's very relatable since most heroes are not overpowered and have simpler story. Also marvel is more funny