Is Marvel REALLY more realistic than DC ?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#151  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
@Jnr6Lil:  

@The Stegman   said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil: i don't see how you can relate to those Marvel ones...see what i did there?

In DC how can you relate to Aquaman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern, Flash, etc. They don't deal with everyday struggles like we do. Other than romance they don't connect to anyone

While Marvel has had characters who endured prejudice, been in the Holocaust, blindness, alcoholism, multiple personality disorder, the Magneto/Professor X-MLK/Malcolm X comparisons, nerds struggling in daily life, parents killed by the mob, and a man wanting to fight in WWII

We see alot more of ^those people in our daily life than the DC Heroes.

True we do see those people more in our everyday lives, but that doesn't mean I relate to them, I am not an alcoholic, nor prejudiced against, nor been in a holocaust, nor blind, nor suffer from MPD,or had my family killed by the mob. so, no, i don't relate to any of those characters, however i have grown up in a small town and moved to a large city like Clark Kent, I also share moralities similar to his. Also Clark is a reporter, we see plenty of those, Green Lantern is in the military, Flash works for forensics in the Police Department, True Aquaman, WW and the Martian are not "ordinary" but no more or less ordinary than Namor, or Thor, or Vision, or Silver Surfer

Yes but generally speaking more people can relate to the Marvel heroes than DC, Remember this isn't just you

Also to relate to something doesn't necessarily mean it had to do with you.

Relating to something absolutely has to do with you, Relating by definition is to establish or demonstrate a common connection, what relates to one person doesn't relate to another, so to say that 'generally speaking more people can relate to Marvel" is an oxymoron since every person differs from each other.

Yes but to relate to something doesn't mean it directly has to happen to you, You could know someone that is similiar to Marvel's heroes.

And even though people are different, for the most part,people can relate to Marvel's heroes.

I don't think the correct term is exactly relatable

More of that Marvel gives us a world like ours,

I get what you're saying, and true relating means you could know someone that is similar, but again, I personally know no alcoholics, war vets, people who had their parents killed by a mob (i do know some nerds, but Dc has nerds too) etc. I think at the end of the day everything that Marvel has so does Dc, they are both equally unrealistic, both have superheroes in colorful costumes running around the place, both are set in the "real world" with real cities like NYC, London etc, but also both have fictional cities like Gotham, Metropolis, Wakanda, Latveria, and Utopia. Also to say that people for the most part can relate to Marvel is like saying people for the most part can relate to the color red rather than blue, it's still a matter of personal preference

Well Marvel is a global-wide company, I find it hard to believe that alot of people couldn't relate to it. 

Not saying people can't relate to it, i'm saying that people can relate to BOTH companies depending on the person in question, they are tied in their realism  
Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#152  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil: i don't see how you can relate to those Marvel ones...see what i did there?

In DC how can you relate to Aquaman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern, Flash, etc. They don't deal with everyday struggles like we do. Other than romance they don't connect to anyone

While Marvel has had characters who endured prejudice, been in the Holocaust, blindness, alcoholism, multiple personality disorder, the Magneto/Professor X-MLK/Malcolm X comparisons, nerds struggling in daily life, parents killed by the mob, and a man wanting to fight in WWII

True we do see those people more in our everyday lives, but that doesn't mean I relate to them, I am not an alcoholic, nor prejudiced against, nor been in a holocaust, nor blind, nor suffer from MPD,or had my family killed by the mob. so, no, i don't relate to any of those characters, however i have grown up in a small town and moved to a large city like Clark Kent, I also share moralities similar to his. Also Clark is a reporter, we see plenty of those, Green Lantern is in the military, Flash works for forensics in the Police Department, True Aquaman, WW and the Martian are not "ordinary" but no more or less ordinary than Namor, or Thor, or Vision, or Silver Surfer

Yes but generally speaking more people can relate to the Marvel heroes than DC, Remember this isn't just you

Relating to something absolutely has to do with you, Relating by definition is to establish or demonstrate a common connection, what relates to one person doesn't relate to another, so to say that 'generally speaking more people can relate to Marvel" is an oxymoron since every person differs from each other.

Yes but to relate to something doesn't mean it directly has to happen to you, You could know someone that is similiar to Marvel's heroes.

And even though people are different, for the most part,people can relate to Marvel's heroes.

I get what you're saying, and true relating means you could know someone that is similar, but again, I personally know no alcoholics, war vets, people who had their parents killed by a mob (i do know some nerds, but Dc has nerds too) etc. I think at the end of the day everything that Marvel has so does Dc, they are both equally unrealistic, both have superheroes in colorful costumes running around the place, both are set in the "real world" with real cities like NYC, London etc, but also both have fictional cities like Gotham, Metropolis, Wakanda, Latveria, and Utopia. Also to say that people for the most part can relate to Marvel is like saying people for the most part can relate to the color red rather than blue, it's still a matter of personal preference

Well Marvel is a global-wide company, I find it hard to believe that alot of people couldn't relate to it.

Not saying people can't relate to it, i'm saying that people can relate to BOTH companies depending on the person in question, they are tied in their realism

You find less people relating to the DC Heroes

Not many people can relate to an Alien from Krypton

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
@Jnr6Lil:  

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

Not many can relate to A Norse God of Thunder either
Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By Hawk80

Only because Marvel readers repeated this for decades... no mystery that 80% of comic readers now believe this. But how much of them really tried to follow DC?

You relate to green gamma man, not relate to sun powered man and you are trying to sell this like logic? You know neither logic nor the definition of "relate". Read your favourite comic and stop talking about things you can't talk about.

Avatar image for huntress_of_the_dark
Huntress_of_the_Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both are fictional if I do say so myself.

Avatar image for gentleman_of_the_bedchamber
Gentleman_of_the_Bedchamber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Generally it's something like this:

Dc: You want to build a statue in their honor.

Marvel: You want to have a drink with them.

Batman: You want to hug the poor bastard, then do the former two.

Of course their's some overlap, reversal's and exception's between those two philosophy's. 3rd Blue Beetle is a good example of a Marvel character in DC while Captain America is a beacon of all that is good at Marvel.

Batman is a good example of overlap as well IMO.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@Hawk80 said:

Only because Marvel readers repeated this for decades... no mystery that 80% of comic readers now believe this. But how much of them really tried to follow DC?

You relate to green gamma man, not relate to sun powered man and you are trying to sell this like logic? You know neither logic nor the definition of "relate". Read your favourite comic and stop talking about things you can't talk about.

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

Marvel has still produced more relatable characters

Mina319

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Mina319

@Jnr6Lil said:

@Hawk80 said:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

If thats your Opinion than fine, my opinion is that I relate more to the dc heroes than the marvel ones and that dc have more relatable characters, like stegman said its all opinion.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@Mina319 said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@Hawk80 said:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

If thats your Opinion than fine, my opinion is that I relate more to the dc heroes than the marvel ones and that dc have more relatable characters, like stegman said its all opinion.

But how do you relate to them?

Mina319

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Mina319

@Jnr6Lil said:

@Mina319 said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@Hawk80 said:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

easy, green arrow is a man that isnt the best but he damn sure trys his hardest, I can relate to that, Aquaman gets underestimated every time and doesn't get the credit he usually deserves, I can relate to that, Static, an everyday guy who just like spiderman goes through everyday problems when I was in high school, I can relate to that................want me to go on again relatability is al a matter of personal preference, I just HATE how its the general consensus that marvel is better because supposedly they have "more realistic and relatable characters" in which I respond by laughing and showing a picture of galactus

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
@Mina319:  

@Jnr6Lil said:

@Mina319 said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@Hawk80 said:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegmansaid:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegmansaid:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegmansaid:

easy, green arrow is a man that isnt the best but he damn sure trys his hardest, I can relate to that, Aquaman gets underestimated every time and doesn't get the credit he usually deserves, I can relate to that, Static, an everyday guy who just like spiderman goes through everyday problems when I was in high school, I can relate to that................want me to go on again relatability is al a matter of personal preference, I just HATE how its the general consensus that marvel is better because supposedly they have "more realistic and relatable characters" in which I respond by laughing and showing a picture of galactus 

I just think that when people say "Marvel has more relatable characters" they automatically think of the most popular heroes from both companies, for Marvel they think of X men, Spidey, etc for Dc they think of Superman, Wonder Woman etc...when comparing those characters, yeah it APPEARS Marvel is more realistic, but you have to realize, it's like comparing apples with oranges, for every "Superman" Dc has, Marvel has just as many like Sentry, Gladiator, etc, for every "Wonder Woman" Marvel has a "Thor". What my main point was, both companies have equally realistic and fantastic heroes, and i can guarantee you for every "down to earth normal guy" Marvel has, Dc has as well, you just gotta look harder instead of making sweeping generalizations.
Mina319

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By Mina319

@The Stegman: ccompletely agree thanks :)

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#163  Edited By SC  Moderator

Oh, man, this thread still hasn't distinguished that the ability to relate to other things is both subjective and objective?

The more you look at anything, the more relatable it can be depending on the ability of the person observing. Characters ability to relate to others isn't always the main selling point about characters, some characters in fact are hugely popular because of their ability to be power fantasy projections. There is overlap, you can't find one thing about a character and say you can relate to them now, and say that makes the character as relatable if ten people say they find another character relatable for as many or more reasons, unless your just talking to yourself.  So although each person's perspective is subjective, we understand that not all things are as equally different as they are the same.  

@The Stegman said: 
 @SC:  

No wonder so many comic fans are notorious for killing pigs to death with wooden spoons and wearing their skins as trophy pieces.

well...how ELSE do you propose i spend my Friday nights??

Well? 

Superman - Uses his X-Ray vision to give people STD's before eye lasering their feet and hands off so they have to crawl around on bloodied stumps? Flies to a small island out at sea in 3 seconds, flies back in 1 and drops coconuts on everyone explaining the massive death by coconuts statistics people often tout. 

Batman - Spikes their water supply with Energy drinks, sits up a local rave party, instilled with those laser walls that fly in and slice everything waits for a slow jam, then bam. Pastrami everywhere he runs in and starts eating whilst shouting dark knight over and over again? 

Wonder Woman - A stranger in a strange land that likes to kill strangers using strange methods?  Victims are found with snapped necks, appearing to have been bound and hogtied, stomped on by high heel boots, throats slit with sharp weapons or jewelry and ribs and spines broken. Love shaped gun wounds too.  

Hulk - Bruce Banner goes and judo chops a guy, judo flips him, and then sits on his chest, listens to what ever song its popular to dislike, then rawr, Hulk's out and guy he was sitting on is serial crushed to death. Then Hulk wraps up the remains in a delicious delicious Subway Tofurkey Wrap with Honey Mustard and Thousand Island Sauce and Hulk so happy, Hulk Smang, Smash it and Bang it down his throat.   

Spider-man - Webs down a persons mouth and throat, yanks their head off with webbing, then batter batter up, smashes their own head into their chest, letting his own red webbing spill out like spaghetti bolognese. Mama mia.  

All perfectly normal alternates for your evening. Since all are exactly, the same since relatively is either absolutely objective or absolutely subjective. Complexity definitely equates to the ability to relate to, rather than potential, relatively. =p
Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#164  Edited By Zeeguy91

@difficlus said:

just because marvel is more realistic doesn't mean that they follow all the laws in our universe. truth is marvel does try to keep their universe grounded in our type of status quo reality, DC has been modeled and shaped since the appearance of superman on earth. Marvel sticks to real cities and yes while their powers are still set in fantasy ( like come on obviously superhero stuff is unreal) they keep their heroes grounded in a common reality and universe we can relate to. DC is more Extraordinary people and their circumstances while Marvel is more ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances.

So, you're using the fact that Marvel sets their characters in real cities as the grounding factor that makes it more realistic?? Really??? In the end, they're all people who dress in tights and punch out supervillains. It doesn't really matter if they're set in New York or Gotham. And btw, DC has plenty of characters that live in REAL cities as well: New York served as the headquarters of the JSA, Plastic Man operated out of Chicago, Wonder Woman is currently set in London, and Black Manta and Guy Gardener were born in Baltmore, my hometown.

Anyway, I wouldn't really say that one is more realistic than the other. Simply because DC's major characters operate out of fictional cities doesn't make them less relatable. The OP is right in insisting that the DC characters go through the same trials and tribulations that Marvel's do. Yeah Marvel has an alcoholic superhero in Iron Man, but DC also has a superhero who's a recovering heroin addict in Roy Harper. But in the end, its not these shock oriented traits that make the characters relatable, its their personalities and their emotions. A character isn't simply more relatable if you turn him into an alcoholic, but instead, its how you write him as he's trying to deal with the problem and his road to recovery that makes that person relatable. Its how the circumstance shapes their personality, not the circumstance itself. DC has accomplished that in many of their characters. So, I really see the "Marvel is more realistic" line as just a baseless claim that may have been true in the 60s, but currently doesn't reflect the reality of the books.

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By Hawk80

So, I really see the "Marvel is more realistic" line as just a baseless claim that may have been true in the 60s, but currently doesn't reflect the reality of the books.

True. True. True.

Avatar image for ultimatedeadpool
DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#166  Edited By DEADPOOL

It has started to change, but Marvel's characters always seemed more human, while DC's seemed more perfect. Wasn't just Marvel characters' flaws and imperfections, but the hardships and choices they had to make. DC was more like The Brady Bunch, y'know?

The biggest thing for me though are the power-levels, Marvel heroes tend to be weaker than DC's and their villains more powerful than DC's. It takes a willing suspension of belief that the majority of DC's villains actually pose more than a nuisance to DC heroes. That's one of the reasons I liked the DC cartoons so much was because the heroes were scaled down so that the villains actually seemed like a threat. In the comics (at least at one point, I don't know about recently) the Flash could move faster than light, become intangible, and also give and steal speed, etc., while in the cartoon he actually had a hard time chasing down a speeding van. There was the animated movie World's Finest, I believe, where Captain Cold hid bombs all over the city and in seconds Flash found them all, which just shows to me how outlandishly powerful DC heroes are.

There are tons of examples, like Wonder Woman possesses immense strength and durability, also possesses superhuman speed, agility, reflexes, coordination, etc., and is perhaps one of the best fighters in DC, but one of her most notable enemies is... the Cheetah. C'mon. Hell, there was a Superman comic showing him lifting 200 quintillion tons with one arm. And of course, for villains to be perceived as major threats, they have to be even more powerful than the heroes, which just becomes ridiculous since the heroes are already godly.

I will say though that Marvel keeps scaling up their characters too which is bothering me. Like Spider-Man, he could lift 10 tons, but now he can lift... what? 25 tons? I'll stay in denial about that, thank you very much!

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@DEADPOOL said:

It has started to change, but Marvel's characters always seemed more human, while DC's seemed more perfect. Wasn't just Marvel characters' flaws and imperfections, but the hardships and choices they had to make. DC was more like The Brady Bunch, y'know?

The biggest thing for me though are the power-levels, Marvel heroes tend to be weaker than DC's and their villains more powerful than DC's. It takes a willing suspension of belief that the majority of DC's villains actually pose more than a nuisance to DC heroes. That's one of the reasons I liked the DC cartoons so much was because the heroes were scaled down so that the villains actually seemed like a threat. In the comics (at least at one point, I don't know about recently) the Flash could move faster than light, become intangible, and also give and steal speed, etc., while in the cartoon he actually had a hard time chasing down a speeding van. There was the animated movie World's Finest, I believe, where Captain Cold hid bombs all over the city and in seconds Flash found them all, which just shows to me how outlandishly powerful DC heroes are.

There are tons of examples, like Wonder Woman possesses immense strength and durability, also possesses superhuman speed, agility, reflexes, coordination, etc., and is perhaps one of the best fighters in DC, but one of her most notable enemies is... the Cheetah. C'mon. Hell, there was a Superman comic showing him lifting 200 quintillion tons with one arm. And of course, for villains to be perceived as major threats, they have to be even more powerful than the heroes, which just becomes ridiculous since the heroes are already godly.

I will say though that Marvel keeps scaling up their characters too which is bothering me. Like Spider-Man, he could lift 10 tons, but now he can lift... what? 25 tons? I'll stay in denial about that, thank you very much!

@Zeeguy91 said:

@difficlus said:

just because marvel is more realistic doesn't mean that they follow all the laws in our universe. truth is marvel does try to keep their universe grounded in our type of status quo reality, DC has been modeled and shaped since the appearance of superman on earth. Marvel sticks to real cities and yes while their powers are still set in fantasy ( like come on obviously superhero stuff is unreal) they keep their heroes grounded in a common reality and universe we can relate to. DC is more Extraordinary people and their circumstances while Marvel is more ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances.

So, you're using the fact that Marvel sets their characters in real cities as the grounding factor that makes it more realistic?? Really??? In the end, they're all people who dress in tights and punch out supervillains. It doesn't really matter if they're set in New York or Gotham. And btw, DC has plenty of characters that live in REAL cities as well: New York served as the headquarters of the JSA, Plastic Man operated out of Chicago, Wonder Woman is currently set in London, and Black Manta and Guy Gardener were born in Baltmore, my hometown.

Anyway, I wouldn't really say that one is more realistic than the other. Simply because DC's major characters operate out of fictional cities doesn't make them less relatable. The OP is right in insisting that the DC characters go through the same trials and tribulations that Marvel's do. Yeah Marvel has an alcoholic superhero in Iron Man, but DC also has a superhero who's a recovering heroin addict in Roy Harper. But in the end, its not these shock oriented traits that make the characters relatable, its their personalities and their emotions. A character isn't simply more relatable if you turn him into an alcoholic, but instead, its how you write him as he's trying to deal with the problem and his road to recovery that makes that person relatable. Its how the circumstance shapes their personality, not the circumstance itself. DC has accomplished that in many of their characters. So, I really see the "Marvel is more realistic" line as just a baseless claim that may have been true in the 60s, but currently doesn't reflect the reality of the books.

I agree, It's not necessarily what the problems go through but it's the fact, Marvel's heroes actually struggle more than DC.

@Mina319 said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@Mina319 said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@Hawk80 said:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

Static is obscure.

@The Stegman said:

@Mina319:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@Mina319 said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@Hawk80 said:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegman said:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegmansaid:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegmansaid:

@Jnr6Lil:

@The Stegmansaid:

I just think that when people say "Marvel has more relatable characters" they automatically think of the most popular heroes from both companies, for Marvel they think of X men, Spidey, etc for Dc they think of Superman, Wonder Woman etc...when comparing those characters, yeah it APPEARS Marvel is more realistic, but you have to realize, it's like comparing apples with oranges, for every "Superman" Dc has, Marvel has just as many like Sentry, Gladiator, etc, for every "Wonder Woman" Marvel has a "Thor". What my main point was, both companies have equally realistic and fantastic heroes, and i can guarantee you for every "down to earth normal guy" Marvel has, Dc has as well, you just gotta look harder instead of making sweeping generalizations.

But most of Dc's heroes aren't relatable

Mina319

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Mina319

@Jnr6Lil: You obviously havent read Much DC have you ?

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Jorgevy

@Hawk80 said:

So, I really see the "Marvel is more realistic" line as just a baseless claim that may have been true in the 60s, but currently doesn't reflect the reality of the books.

True. True. True.

THIS. Also, Marvel was more realistic in the 60s under Stan Lee, but that's long over. Nowadays Marvel is as realistic as DC. and relatable? Something being relatable varies because or personal experience, or life, is different than other people's. We are all different so we relate to different things. Every company will have relatable characters for someone. And does that really matter? Comics were created to be adventurous, not relatable. Maybe thats more important now, it is, but why the heck is there this competition to see which company has more relatable characters when that is ultra subjective and varies from each individual. Also, the question was realistic, not relatable. Something relatable is necessarily realistic. That's a fallacy. Anyone that watches movies often, or reads any type of literature can tell you that are lots of unrelatable characters in normal situations of everyday life, and also lots of relatable characters in sci fi, fantasy or just totally different than our everyday settings.

To conclude, most people will ignore this and keep fighting about relatable and realistic, between Marvel and DC (this is as bad as religion or politics or sports), when it doesnt matter. Its supposed to be entertaining, both companies are EQUALLY realistic and relatable depends between individuals. The question was about realistic, it is simple to answer that, but people decided to prolong it to a lot of pages and start talking about things that aren't the same as realistic. So I just gave my opinion, tried to explain why this is a useless discussion but I'll be ignored. I knew that before I started writing but I just had to say this.

Sincerely yours, a equally big fan of both companies that finds in both relatable characters.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Zeeguy91

@Jnr6Lil said:

I agree, It's not necessarily what the problems go through but it's the fact, Marvel's heroes actually struggle more than DC.

No, no its not a fact. And if you believe that it is a fact, then you are overgeneralizing to the point where you are not even relevant anymore. I've seen DC characters struggle with feelings of anxiety, loss, and pain. Many DC characters have had to deal with the deaths of their families and their friends, feelings of ostracism, and battle addiction.

The only difference is that you don't hear DC characters whine and moan constantly about it. Marvel is another story. If I have to read another story about how depressed Peter Parker is because he doesn't have a girlfriend, I'm going to explode. We get it Peter, New York is not a good place for a nerd to find love! Just get over it and stop whining so much!! And yet, amazingly, he gets hot girls all the time! Really?? They should never have broken him and Mary Jane up.

So, how are DC's characters less relatable than any of Marvel's? How is Wonder Woman or Aquaman any less realistic than Thor or Namor? And if what you just said is true, then why is it that most of Marvel's major characters started out as rip offs of DC's minor characters:

• Fantastic Four: Challengers' of the Unknown twins (literally because Kirby created both teams)
  • X-Men: Doom Patrol rip offs
  • Hawkeye: Green Arrow wannabe
  • Nova Corps: clones of the Green Lantern Corps
  • Moon Knight: Batman copy with multiple personalities
  • Sentry/Hyperion: Superman lookalike(s)
  • Super Adaptoid: Stan Lee: "Hey Jack! Looks like DC's really got something special with Amazo. Lets copy it."
  • Thanos: Darkseid......but in Marvel.

I could go on, but really, what's the point.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@Jorgevy said:

@Hawk80 said:

True. True. True.

THIS. Also, Marvel was more realistic in the 60s under Stan Lee, but that's long over. Nowadays Marvel is as realistic as DC. and relatable? Something being relatable varies because or personal experience, or life, is different than other people's. We are all different so we relate to different things. Every company will have relatable characters for someone. And does that really matter? Comics were created to be adventurous, not relatable. Maybe thats more important now, it is, but why the heck is there this competition to see which company has more relatable characters when that is ultra subjective and varies from each individual. Also, the question was realistic, not relatable. Something relatable is necessarily realistic. That's a fallacy. Anyone that watches movies often, or reads any type of literature can tell you that are lots of unrelatable characters in normal situations of everyday life, and also lots of relatable characters in sci fi, fantasy or just totally different than our everyday settings.

To conclude, most people will ignore this and keep fighting about relatable and realistic, between Marvel and DC (this is as bad as religion or politics or sports), when it doesnt matter. Its supposed to be entertaining, both companies are EQUALLY realistic and relatable depends between individuals. The question was about realistic, it is simple to answer that, but people decided to prolong it to a lot of pages and start talking about things that aren't the same as realistic. So I just gave my opinion, tried to explain why this is a useless discussion but I'll be ignored. I knew that before I started writing but I just had to say this.

Sincerely yours, a equally big fan of both companies that finds in both relatable characters.

Good answer@Zeeguy91 said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

No, no its not a fact. And if you believe that it is a fact, then you are overgeneralizing to the point where you are not even relevant anymore. I've seen DC characters struggle with feelings of anxiety, loss, and pain. Many DC characters have had to deal with the deaths of their families and their friends, feelings of ostracism, and battle addiction.

The only difference is that you don't hear DC characters whine and moan constantly about it. Marvel is another story. If I have to read another story about how depressed Peter Parker is because he doesn't have a girlfriend, I'm going to explode. We get it Peter, New York is not a good place for a nerd to find love! Just get over it and stop whining so much!! And yet, amazingly, he gets hot girls all the time! Really?? They should never have broken him and Mary Jane up.

So, how are DC's characters less relatable than any of Marvel's? How is Wonder Woman or Aquaman any less realistic than Thor or Namor? And if what you just said is true, then why is it that most of Marvel's major characters started out as rip offs of DC's minor characters:

• Fantastic Four: Challengers' of the Unknown twins (literally because Kirby created both teams)
  • Super Adaptoid: Stan Lee: "Hey Jack! Looks like DC's really got something special with Amazo. Lets copy it."

A character isn't a ripoff due to having the same powers

Okay judging by what you said this topic is becoming more about the writers than the actual characters themselves.

Pyro_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Pyro_Jack

It's really difficult to say that DC is more realistic or that Marvel and DC are equally unrealistic after seeing everything Batman can do and everyone he can beat beeing a normal human(no mutation, no powers, etc...).

batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By batmanary

@Jnr6Lil said:

@Jorgevy said:

@Hawk80 said:

True. True. True.

@Jnr6Lil said:

Okay judging by what you said this topic is becoming more about the writers than the actual characters themselves.

Has nothing to do with the powers, and everything to do with character. They are quite the same. Compare both comics of each group.

I HATE it when people say Marvel is more realistic. It's not. DC and Marvel are both unrealistic, but DC focuses on character, and Marvel on event.

To relate to them however, depends on your own personal situation. I'm certainly not going to relate to Spider-Man, but, hey, Static Shock seems more like me, for instance. (Just an example, not actual). People who simply say Marvel is more relateable than DC or vice versa, without stating actually why, and giving answers like "Oh, cuz Superman's so powerful." should take the time to, maybe, go out and actually read the books that they're criticizing without actual knowledge. I read Marvel, didn't like it, quit it. (Except for Cap. Cap's always a fun read.) So I actually know that that company wasn't right for me, instead of never actually picking up a Marvel book and judging it based on whatever's been floated around on the interwebs. If you ask me, read comics made by both companies, and THEN make your decisions, don't simply ignore them.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@batmanary said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@Jorgevy said:

@Hawk80 said:

True. True. True.

@Jnr6Lil said:

Has nothing to do with the powers, and everything to do with character. They are quite the same. Compare both comics of each group.

I HATE it when people say Marvel is more realistic. It's not. DC and Marvel are both unrealistic, but DC focuses on character, and Marvel on event.

To relate to them however, depends on your own personal situation. I'm certainly not going to relate to Spider-Man, but, hey, Static Shock seems more like me, for instance. (Just an example, not actual). People who simply say Marvel is more relateable than DC or vice versa, without stating actually why, and giving answers like "Oh, cuz Superman's so powerful." should take the time to, maybe, go out and actually read the books that they're criticizing without actual knowledge. I read Marvel, didn't like it, quit it. (Except for Cap. Cap's always a fun read.) So I actually know that that company wasn't right for me, instead of never actually picking up a Marvel book and judging it based on whatever's been floated around on the interwebs. If you ask me, read comics made by both companies, and THEN make your decisions, don't simply ignore them.

No, you're basing it off of powers, You say the X-Men are Doom Patrol ripoffs but the Doom Patrol never had an institute, never had to deal with prejudice, etc. The same can be said for the other heroes you mentioned.

I don't think when people saying Marvel is more relatable they don't mean directly to the reader but generally speaking, You'll probably find more people on the street similar to the Marvel characters than the DC Characters. That's just an inference because the DC heroes seem so distant to be like us.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Jorgevy

X men is far from being a Doom Patrol rip off. They came out with little distance and they're totally different, like @Jnr6Lil said.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Zeeguy91

@Jnr6Lil said:

@Jorgevy said:

X men is far from being a Doom Patrol rip off. They came out with little distance and they're totally different, like @Jnr6Lil said.

No, its not just their powers, its literally about the CHARACTERS themselves: their actions, their motives, and their backgrounds. And you're criticizing me about comparing the X-Men and the Doom Patrol by saying I'm just going off of their powers makes no sense because THEY DON'T HAVE THE SAME POWERS. And no they're not different, the X-Men and the Doom Patrol are incredibly similar. This is from an online article that cited the two teams as parallels in the Big Two:

"Both are teams of misfits, shunned from society because of their gifts, and led by a (occasionally megalomaniacal) genius in a wheelchair. The individual pieces don't match up as well as that leader in a wheelchair, but it is interesting to note that both teams had a big death scene after which they hid from the public for a while."

So, yeah, the Doom Patrol has faced discrimination and are forced into working with each other because of their ostracism. Seriously, stop being X-Men fanboys. They are clearly ripped off from Doom Patrol. Even the Doom Patrol's creator, Arnold Drake, insisted that Stan Lee stole his idea. This is a direct statement from Drake before he died:

"...I’ve become more and more convinced that [Stan Lee] knowingly stole The X-Men from The Doom Patrol. Over the years I learned that an awful lot of writers and artists were working surreptitiously between [Marvel and DC]. Therefore from when I first brought the idea into [DC editor] Murray Boltinoff’s office, it would’ve been easy for someone to walk over and hear that [I was] working on a story about a bunch of reluctant superheroes who are led by a man in a wheelchair. So over the years I began to feel that Stan had more lead time than I realized. He may well have had four, five or even six months."

Also, to state another example, Darkseid and Thanos. Those two are literally the same. Same motives, same personalities, same actions. Again, this is an excerpt taken from that same article:

"Similar strengths, similar goals, similar in the fact that they're each company's #1 space tyrant, created by Jack Kirby in 1970 and Jim Starlin in 1973, respectively. Thanos tried creating his own race of gods in Celestial Quest, Darkseid has his own race of gods on Apokolips. Thanos quests to get the Infinity Gauntlet, Darkseid quests for the Anti-Life Equation. And they're both big-boned dudes with weird faces. Just sayin'."

Now, I know you probably think that it could have been DC that ripped off Marvel, but see that's impossible given the fact that both the Doom Patrol and Darkseid debuted before the X-Men and Thanos respectively. The Doom Patrol debuted in June of 1963 while the X-Men came out in September of that same year. Darkseid was created in 1970 by Jack Kirby and Thanos in 1973 by Jim Starlin.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By Jorgevy

@Zeeguy91:

Man, first, most of the characters you said (including Thanos) are tributes to DC characters. Marvel and DC make tribute characters all the time. Even DC has tribute characters of Marvel, like the Daxamites, which are based on a tribute race based on Kryptionians (tributeception xD). So, its not ripping off. The companies themselves have admited this.

Second, If marvel ripped off Doom Patrol - KUDOS TO THEM!!! I mean seriously, in less than 3 months they were able to tell that Doom Patrol wouldnt be big enough for them to rip and still be able to rip it off? then they are genius, Marvel is a company of geniuses. Its the only explanation if they did ripped off doom patrol. Im serious, if they ripped off doom patrol I would aplause, because they did it in record time and still made it bigger than the original ( a heck lot bigger, like insanely bigger), so if thats really true (which I hardly believe) then Im glad they did it.

Just as an observation, this whole thread is a flaming battle of fanboyism and Im leaving it. I love both companies, this is going off topic and rip off and relatablity has nothing to do with realistic. So, I think this topic should be locked. IF anyone wants to reply to this comment with anything off topic, like rip offs, DC rules, Marvel rules or anything that doesnt really matter, dont bother, I wont answer back. This thread is just terrible........

batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By batmanary

@Jorgevy said:

@Zeeguy91:

Man, first, most of the characters you said (including Thanos) are tributes to DC characters. Marvel and DC make tribute characters all the time. Even DC has tribute characters of Marvel, like the Daxamites, which are based on a tribute race based on Kryptionians (tributeception xD). So, its not ripping off. The companies themselves have admited this.

Second, If marvel ripped off Doom Patrol - KUDOS TO THEM!!! I mean seriously, in less than 3 months they were able to tell that Doom Patrol wouldnt be big enough for them to rip and still be able to rip it off? then they are genius, Marvel is a company of geniuses. Its the only explanation if they did ripped off doom patrol. Im serious, if they ripped off doom patrol I would aplause, because they did it in record time and still made it bigger than the original ( a heck lot bigger, like insanely bigger), so if thats really true (which I hardly believe) then Im glad they did it.

Just as an observation, this whole thread is a flaming battle of fanboyism and Im leaving it. I love both companies, this is going off topic and rip off and relatablity has nothing to do with realistic. So, I think this topic should be locked. IF anyone wants to reply to this comment with anything off topic, like rip offs, DC rules, Marvel rules or anything that doesnt really matter, dont bother, I wont answer back. This thread is just terrible........

Not really. I don't care that they ripped off those characters, but the fact remains that Jnr6Lil is making judgement on preconceived notions over knowledge of the characters. Also, the X-Men weren't big either....remember, they only found real success after the whole formula was shaken in 1975 :)

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@Zeeguy91 said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@Jorgevy said:

No, its not just their powers, its literally about the CHARACTERS themselves: their actions, their motives, and their backgrounds. And you're criticizing me about comparing the X-Men and the Doom Patrol by saying I'm just going off of their powers makes no sense because THEY DON'T HAVE THE SAME POWERS. And no they're not different, the X-Men and the Doom Patrol are incredibly similar. This is from an online article that cited the two teams as parallels in the Big Two:

"Both are teams of misfits, shunned from society because of their gifts, and led by a (occasionally megalomaniacal) genius in a wheelchair. The individual pieces don't match up as well as that leader in a wheelchair, but it is interesting to note that both teams had a big death scene after which they hid from the public for a while."

So, yeah, the Doom Patrol has faced discrimination and are forced into working with each other because of their ostracism. Seriously, stop being X-Men fanboys. They are clearly ripped off from Doom Patrol. Even the Doom Patrol's creator, Arnold Drake, insisted that Stan Lee stole his idea. This is a direct statement from Drake before he died:

"...I’ve become more and more convinced that [Stan Lee] knowingly stole The X-Men from The Doom Patrol. Over the years I learned that an awful lot of writers and artists were working surreptitiously between [Marvel and DC]. Therefore from when I first brought the idea into [DC editor] Murray Boltinoff’s office, it would’ve been easy for someone to walk over and hear that [I was] working on a story about a bunch of reluctant superheroes who are led by a man in a wheelchair. So over the years I began to feel that Stan had more lead time than I realized. He may well have had four, five or even six months."

Also, to state another example, Darkseid and Thanos. Those two are literally the same. Same motives, same personalities, same actions. Again, this is an excerpt taken from that same article:

"Similar strengths, similar goals, similar in the fact that they're each company's #1 space tyrant, created by Jack Kirby in 1970 and Jim Starlin in 1973, respectively. Thanos tried creating his own race of gods in Celestial Quest, Darkseid has his own race of gods on Apokolips. Thanos quests to get the Infinity Gauntlet, Darkseid quests for the Anti-Life Equation. And they're both big-boned dudes with weird faces. Just sayin'."

Now, I know you probably think that it could have been DC that ripped off Marvel, but see that's impossible given the fact that both the Doom Patrol and Darkseid debuted before the X-Men and Thanos respectively. The Doom Patrol debuted in June of 1963 while the X-Men came out in September of that same year. Darkseid was created in 1970 by Jack Kirby and Thanos in 1973 by Jim Starlin.

What Jorgevy said

Not to mention alot of writers say, other people ripped them off, Doesn't mean it's true.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Zeeguy91

@Jorgevy: Um....Daxamites and Kryptonians are both in DC. So your example doesn't really make that much sense. Yeah there are a couple of examples in DC, such as Bumblebee (Wasp), Killer Croc (Lizard), and others. And, hey, I love DC and Marvel too and to a certain extent, tributes are just fine. However, there's a point where it stops being tribute and just starts being flat out copying. And it can get to the point where both companies begin publishing nearly identical stories. For example, Millenium from DC, which was published in the 1980s, and 2008's Secret Invasion from Marvel. That is what we have to try to avoid.

EugeneSaxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By EugeneSaxe

Realism in comics? Did I miss a memo or something?

Mina319

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By Mina319

@Jnr6Lil said:

@batmanary said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@Jorgevy said:

@Hawk80 said:

True. True. True.

@Jnr6Lil said:

No, you're basing it off of powers, You say the X-Men are Doom Patrol ripoffs but the Doom Patrol never had an institute, never had to deal with prejudice, etc. The same can be said for the other heroes you mentioned.

I don't think when people saying Marvel is more relatable they don't mean directly to the reader but generally speaking, You'll probably find more people on the street similar to the Marvel characters than the DC Characters. That's just an inference because the DC heroes seem so distant to be like us.

@Jnr6Lil: See this is the problem thats not a fact its an opinion !!!! Marvel has a lot of characters I like but DC has characters I love. Id rather have superman in my city than thor, because thor can be a bit of a dick. In some ways superman can be relatable. Oh yeah I said it !!!!!!! Just read the comic "for the man who has everything" I really felt sorrow for superman "escaping it must have been like tearing off your own arm" then superman snaps and viciously attacks mongul, another example is the movie superman 2, superman wants to live a normal life and forget about being superman and doesnt take his fathers warnings, but in the end when general zod invades earth, and he cant do anything to stop it, he realizes his decision was selfish, and does something we ALL have done before, say that we were wrong, meaning that superman isnt always perfect and has emotions like the rest of us, again I made this discussion because I hate that its the general consensus that marvel is more realistic (cough cough giant purple world eater cough) and has more relatable characters and Marvel is "better" than dc because of this. Please stop generalizing everything like its a fact, I dont want to be rude, buts its ticking me off bro, its an opinion not a fact, have you read a dc comic lately there kicking whole lots of ass with their vertigo titles, blackest night, all star superman, and flashpoint and especially the new 52's. Ive already told you why I relate more to the dc characters

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Jorgevy

@Zeeguy91:

Thats exactly what I meant, Daxamites are a tribute to a marvel race (name I cant remember) who is also a tribute to a DC race (kryptonians)

Daxamites are a DC's tribute to ----> Marvel race tribute to ---> DC's Kryptonians

@batmanary:

"judgemente on preconceived notions" - thats very close to fanboyism. thats why Im agains this whole thread, its driven off topic and there's people stating opinions as facts..... Also, they might have not been bigger immediatly after, but point still stands on the fact Marvel, if they did rip off, guessed that Doom Patrol wouldnt be big enough to get noses around the X men concept.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#185  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

Both aren't realistic at all. Neither can even come close to being realistic.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By Zeeguy91

@Jorgevy: Are you talking about Dakkam? Cuz if you are, then no offense, but you really need to get your facts straight. Yeah Daxam is thought to be a tribute to Dakkam, seeing as the two demonstrate similarities, but that's impossible. DC introduced the name Daxam first in Superboy #89 which came out in 1961. Dakkam, on the other hand, wasn't introduced until 1973. So that's a 12-year gap that makes it impossible for DC to have copied Marvel.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Jorgevy

@Zeeguy91 said:

@Jorgevy: Are you talking about Dakkam? Cuz if you are, then no offense, but you really need to get your facts straight. Yeah Daxam is thought to be a tribute to Dakkam, seeing as the two demonstrate similarities, but that's impossible. DC introduced the name Daxam first in Superboy #89 which came out in 1961. Dakkam, on the other hand, wasn't introduced until 1973. So that's a 12-year gap that makes it impossible for DC to have copied Marvel.

Well yeah, they couldnt have coppied Marvel's Dakkam, but Dakkamites are tributes to kryptonians, that is extremely visible. And there's also other characters. Its comic book industry, but yeah the Daxamites thing, I got it confused.

spystreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#188  Edited By spystreak

they're comics they aren't meant to be realistic if they were realistic they would have no powers and it would be boring as crap

LORDandMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By LORDandMASTER

Vertigo & dark Horse have them both beat (said lord & master as he broke into a serious Body popping routine, to prove his point through the medium of dance!!)

Served!

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@Mina319 said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@batmanary said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@Jorgevy said:

@Hawk80 said:

True. True. True.

@Jnr6Lil said:

@Jnr6Lil: See this is the problem thats not a fact its an opinion !!!! Marvel has a lot of characters I like but DC has characters I love. Id rather have superman in my city than thor, because thor can be a bit of a dick. In some ways superman can be relatable. Oh yeah I said it !!!!!!! Just read the comic "for the man who has everything" I really felt sorrow for superman "escaping it must have been like tearing off your own arm" then superman snaps and viciously attacks mongul, another example is the movie superman 2, superman wants to live a normal life and forget about being superman and doesnt take his fathers warnings, but in the end when general zod invades earth, and he cant do anything to stop it, he realizes his decision was selfish, and does something we ALL have done before, say that we were wrong, meaning that superman isnt always perfect and has emotions like the rest of us, again I made this discussion because I hate that its the general consensus that marvel is more realistic (cough cough giant purple world eater cough) and has more relatable characters and Marvel is "better" than dc because of this. Please stop generalizing everything like its a fact, I dont want to be rude, buts its ticking me off bro, its an opinion not a fact, have you read a dc comic lately there kicking whole lots of ass with their vertigo titles, blackest night, all star superman, and flashpoint and especially the new 52's. Ive already told you why I relate more to the dc characters

He has emotions sure, but that's still not enough character depth for me.

Mina319

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Mina319

@Jnr6Lil said:

@Mina319 said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@batmanary said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@Jorgevy said:

@Hawk80 said:

True. True. True.

@Jnr6Lil said:

He has emotions sure, but that's still not enough character depth for me.

@Jnr6Lil: It all really depends on who's writing him

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@Mina319: True

Bobphantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By Bobphantom

I wouldn't say either is very realistic given the superhero spandex crowd in both universes, but I think Marvel has a tendency to be more current event driven. At least before the DC relaunch. I mean DC went bigger and broader with infinite crisis and galaxy spanning cross overs, Marvel tackled (essentially) smaller topics with civil war and secret invasion, I love both companies, but at least in my mind marvel tends to hone in on whats driving current events like personal freedoms and even with siege it was more about government activity with a foreign power on domestic soil

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#194  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

The answer is yes.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@Bobphantom said:

I wouldn't say either is very realistic given the superhero spandex crowd in both universes, but I think Marvel has a tendency to be more current event driven. At least before the DC relaunch. I mean DC went bigger and broader with infinite crisis and galaxy spanning cross overs, Marvel tackled (essentially) smaller topics with civil war and secret invasion, I love both companies, but at least in my mind marvel tends to hone in on whats driving current events like personal freedoms and even with siege it was more about government activity with a foreign power on domestic soil
Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By Zeeguy91

@Vance Astro: Galactus: you know, the giant world-eating god-monster. Yeah, he says hello.

Neither of them are at all realistic. The truth is that Marvel tries to claim that it is more realistic for marketing purposes, even though that's really not the case anymore. It doesn't even matter though. Both companies have great characters and great stories in their history. As long as the stories continue to be interesting and well written, I'll keep coming back for more form both of them.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By Zeeguy91

@Bobphantom said:

Hmmmm. Aren't you forgetting stories like the Dark Knight Returns. The same story where Batman has to fight against a full on police state, and many other heroes, have been forced into retirement. Only Superman, who works as an agent of the government is still allowed to operate. That story shows the fears of a world in which the government has grown too powerful, enough so to suppress personal freedoms, which was a real concern in 1980s with Reagan in the US and Thatcher in England.

Also, Marvel has its share of galaxy-spanning, cosmic craziness: Dark Phoenix Saga, Secret Wars, etc.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@Zeeguy91 said:

@Bobphantom said:

Hmmmm. Aren't you forgetting stories like the Dark Knight Returns. The same story where Batman has to fight against a full on police state, and many other heroes, have been forced into retirement. Only Superman, who works as an agent of the government is still allowed to operate. That story shows the fears of a world in which the government has grown too powerful, enough so to suppress personal freedoms, which was a real concern in 1980s with Reagan in the US and Thatcher in England.

Also, Marvel has its share of galaxy-spanning, cosmic craziness: Dark Phoenix Saga, Secret Wars, etc.

And Kingdom Come

I have to admit, DC has put on it's fair share of relatable stories.

Though like many have said above, Because they're both comics books, neither are realistic.

Mina319

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By Mina319

So its decided that marvel Is NOT more realistic then DC (Giant purple world eater is looking straight at you marvel fanboys who still believe that -____-)and there characters NOT more relatable since relatability is all preference and opinion

So its decided then ?

Mina319

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By Mina319

@Vance Astro: I call bull feces