#1 Edited by Mina319 (221 posts) - - Show Bio

Im going to start off by saying I do like marvel, its home to one of my favorite villains Dr Doom and one of my favorite superheroes the punisher and captain america, however The general public pretty much accepts that marvel is more realistic and has more relatable characters than dc. At first I agreed, but then I actually did the one thing that most people who make these claims dont do, I picked up a DC comic !! I mean seriously I find this laughable, last time I checked radiation gives you cancer ( im looking at you hulk and spiderman !!) Most people argue that peter parker is the most relatable characters in comics, 0__0, im sorry to all spiderman fans I do like the web crawler but he lost all relatabily when he stopped being a nerd and 2 superhot woman are throwing themselves at him, and he STILL complains about his problems?! I work 2 jobs to help my family with the mortgage while still trying to balance school, peter you have no right to complain. Alot of people say to me" well marvel is better than dc because they have more real characters" then I reply, really ? the same marvel that has the silver surfer, galactus, thanos, sentry, nova, thor (need I go on ?) The only difference between the "releasim" is that dc doesn't lie to you and say our universe is your universe. Its a SUPERHERO universe you cant make it relatable and marvel tries too hard at this and take themselves WAY too seriously. Aswell as most of the dc superheroes are actually heroes most of the marvel cast are just douchebags with powers, the dc characters go through the same problems as the marvel heroes except the only difference is that the marvel heroes complain more than the dc heroes. I also honeslty relate more to the dc heroes than the marvel heroes example green arrow and static shock. Okay fine marvel was better in the begging however in the last 20 years DC has REALLY stepped up their game, I mean they have released far better books than marvel, all star superman and batman, brightest day, blackest night, flashpoint, green arrow year one, batman dark victory, the long halloween, world without superman, swamp thing, practically all of the hellblazer(yes Constantine is an original dc character) and many more, im not trying to start a flame war I do like marvel however honestly for people who read both do you agree or not agree ?

#2 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mina319: Edit your post. Cursing isn't allowed on this site.

#3 Posted by Mina319 (221 posts) - - Show Bio

(sigh)

#4 Posted by Mina319 (221 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite:

Happy ?

#5 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mina319: Yes. I'm sure you'll be happy that you don't get in trouble for cursing. :P

#6 Posted by JediXMan (30709 posts) - - Show Bio

Too lazy; didn't read.

Both have heroes in capes fighting aliens from other planets and alternate timelines. Neither of them are realistic.

#7 Posted by Hawk80 (351 posts) - - Show Bio

totally agree.

#8 Posted by Mina319 (221 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan: EXACTLY!!!!!

#9 Posted by joshmightbe (24908 posts) - - Show Bio

Prior to the Quesada reign of awful I'd have said yes Marvel was more relatable but recently being that no one is hell bent on turning every DC character into a self serving douche I'd say no Marvel is not more relatable or realistic

#10 Edited by The Stegman (24662 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly "relatable" is  relative, what some relate to others don't, i think what most people mean by Marvel being more "relatable" is that their heroes are "flawed" which is to me a gross generalization,  

1. A hero doesn't have to be flawed or "damaged" to be a good character. (personally i'd rather my hero not be an alcoholic)

2. If you insist on your heroes to be that way, there are scores of them in Dc, i just think when people think of Dc they think of Superman and his perfect sense of morality...there's more than just Superman in DC comics

#11 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Stegman said:
Honestly "relatable" is a is relative, what some relate to others don't, i think what most people mean by Marvel being more "relatable" is that their heroes are "flawed" which is to me a gross generalization,   1. A hero doesn't have to be flawed or "damaged" to be a good character. (personally i'd rather my hero not be an alcoholic) 2. If you insist on your heroes to be that way, there are scores of them in Dc, i just think when people think of Dc they think of Superman and his perfect sense of morality...there's more than just Superman in DC comics
This.
#12 Posted by Mina319 (221 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman: ccompletely agree im just a tad bit annoyed because thats the general consensus of the compare and contrast of marvel and dc that marvel is more "realistic"

#13 Posted by Saren (25698 posts) - - Show Bio

Both of them are equally realistic/unrealistic as the case may be. I just feel Marvel's stuff is......lighter.

#14 Posted by Deadcool (6811 posts) - - Show Bio

No, none of them is realistic...

#15 Posted by Deadcool (6811 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane said:

Both of them are equally realistic/unrealistic as the case may be. I just feel Marvel's stuff is......lighter.

...?

#16 Posted by Vance Astro (91262 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel IS more realistic...

#17 Edited by Illuminatus (9509 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deadcool said:

@CitizenBane said:

...?

It depends entirely on the characters/title, but Bane does have a point. Marvel doesn't always attempt to challenge their readers' intelligence, and sometimes completely fails at establishing an engaging storyline. This is part of the reason why they are forced to constantly pump out events.
#18 Posted by Silver2467 (16527 posts) - - Show Bio
@Illuminatus said: 
It depends entirely on the characters/title, but Bane does have a point. Marvel doesn't always attempt to challenge their readers' intelligence, and sometimes completely fails are establishing an engaging storyline. This is part of the reason why they are forced to constantly pump out events.
DC is no different, really. All of DC's/Johns' events have largely just been uninspired advertisements for their next event.
#19 Posted by Strider92 (16616 posts) - - Show Bio

In my opinion Marvel isn't more realistic its just as Stegman said more relatable. For exemple Batman and Superman are both great iconic heros but one is a multi-billionaire and the other is nigh un-killable Alien from outer-space. The reason some people say Marvel is more realistic is because you can take some one like Spider-man who has trouble paying his rent, finding a job, getting a girl etc.... and think "yeah that's happened to me before". Where as I don't know anyone who is a multi-billionaire or a nigh unkillable alien lol. This is just my opinion obviously other people will think otherwise.

#20 Posted by Deadcool (6811 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus said:

It depends entirely on the characters/title, but Bane does have a point. Marvel doesn't always attempt to challenge their readers' intelligence, and sometimes completely fails are establishing an engaging storyline. This is part of the reason why they are forced to constantly pump out events.

... I think I am reading the wrong comics, but do DC challenge more, because I am sure that deepends on the writer and whos in charge in that company...

#21 Posted by Illuminatus (9509 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silver2467 said:
@Illuminatus said: 
DC is no different, really. All of DC's/Johns' events have largely just been uninspired advertisements for their next event.
I don't dispute that. It's an inevitable part of the mainstream comic-book industry, in my opinion.
#22 Posted by Illuminatus (9509 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deadcool said:

@Illuminatus said:

... I think I am reading the wrong comics, but do DC challenge more, because I am sure that deepends on the writer and whos in charge in that company...

It does depend on several varying factors.
#23 Posted by Silver2467 (16527 posts) - - Show Bio
@Illuminatus said:
@Silver2467 said:
@Illuminatus said: 
I don't dispute that. It's an inevitable part of the mainstream comic-book industry, in my opinion.
True enough, but I don't think it has to be. It just too often is because garbage writers are given influence they should never have.
#24 Posted by Illuminatus (9509 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silver2467 said:
@Illuminatus said:
@Silver2467 said:
@Illuminatus said: 
True enough, but I don't think it has to be. It just too often is because garbage writers are given influence they should never have.
*Cough* Brian Michael Bendis *Cough*.
#25 Posted by Hawk80 (351 posts) - - Show Bio

For exemple Batman and Superman are both great iconic heros but one is a multi-billionaire and the other is nigh un-killable Alien from outer-space.

ok... so Tony Stark and Thor...?

#26 Posted by Vance Astro (91262 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hawk80 said:

For exemple Batman and Superman are both great iconic heros but one is a multi-billionaire and the other is nigh un-killable Alien from outer-space.

ok... so Tony Stark and Thor...?

Good point.
#27 Posted by Silver2467 (16527 posts) - - Show Bio
@Illuminatus said:
@Silver2467 said:
@Illuminatus said:
@Silver2467 said:
@Illuminatus said: 
Heh. Interestingly, Star Wars is currently having a similar problem with its novels, because Troy Denning has far too much creative influence. But the difference is that Star Wars still has enough good stories released in comparison with its quantity of bad ones that it retains my interest. I gave up reading DC when the relaunch started. I sometimes read old NE DC comics but nothing new.
#28 Posted by SC (13149 posts) - - Show Bio

Last time I checked we are all being bombarded constantly by radiation, its just relatively harmless radiation, not only that, but radiation, as far as mutation goes, like there is plenty of leeway as far as ambiguity for Hulk and Spiderman and plenty of DC characters as well. Your point here is lost on me sorry. Absolute realism here just isn't obviously the goal. Otherwise comic writers would be employed by military lol

This is also fiction, realism is relative here. Do humans generally have two arms in comic books? Yeah an example of realism, albeit a small example, designed to make the story more relatable and believable, they don't have 5000 hands sticking out their leg. So I struggle with how seemingly flawed people view, consider and define the words used in this thread.  

All that out of the way, there is so much variety and diversity with the books put out by both companies, writer skills, artist skills, it seems over simplistic to me to both, to generalize and cover with such broad a stroke. You find realism with specifics. You know? Objectives? As opposed to subjective reasoning leading to blanket opinions. Then of course realism and the ability to relate to stories has no bearing on quality and that seems to have been with the topic lead to?  

Some of the people you converse with just seem to be guilty of bias, and flawed reasoning in order to supplement their bias. Pretty common though. 

#29 Posted by Illuminatus (9509 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silver2467 said:
@Illuminatus said:
@Silver2467 said:
@Illuminatus said:
@Silver2467 said:
@Illuminatus said: 
Heh. Interestingly, Star Wars is currently having a similar problem with its novels, because Troy Denning has far too much creative influence. But the difference is that Star Wars still has enough good stories released in comparison with its quantity of bad ones that it retains my interest. I gave up reading DC when the relaunch started. I sometimes read old NE DC comics but nothing new.
I'm not current with the state-of-affairs of the Star Wars EU news, but that's unfortunate. 

You haven't read any of the relaunch's new books? Snyder's Batman, Flash, Aquaman, they're all great.
#30 Edited by Silver2467 (16527 posts) - - Show Bio
@Illuminatus said: 

I'm not current with the state-of-affairs of the Star Wars EU news, but that's unfortunate.

It is. But there are still good novels released in other time periods, and their comics are still worthwhile. 

You haven't read any of the relaunch's new books? Snyder's Batman, Flash, Aquaman, they're all great.

No. I might at some point. Not really sure. My reading load is huge as it is. 

I really am just tired of how much creative influence Geoff Johns has had in recent years. Then he went and retconned the whole DCU. That was when I quit.
#31 Posted by Deadcool (6811 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus said:

@Deadcool said:

@Illuminatus said:

It does depend on several varying factors.

Indeed...

#32 Posted by Illuminatus (9509 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silver2467 said:
@Illuminatus said: 

It is. But there are still good novels released in other time periods, and their comics are still worthwhile. 
I read a few of the EU novels as a kid, but I haven't since. I'll consider picking up a few sometime. 

@Silver2467 said:

No. I might at some point. Not really sure. My reading load is huge as it is.  I really am just tired of how much creative influence Geoff Johns has had in recent years. Then he went and retconned the whole DCU. That was when I quit.
I understand where you're coming from. What's ironic is that Geoff Johns is currently killing it on Aquaman.
#33 Posted by Billy Batson (58070 posts) - - Show Bio

No.
BB

#34 Posted by Silver2467 (16527 posts) - - Show Bio
@Illuminatus said: 
I read a few of the EU novels as a kid, but I haven't since. I'll consider picking up a few sometime. 
If you want any recommendations, just let me or JediX know. 

But anyway, back on topic...

I understand where you're coming from. What's ironic is that Geoff Johns is currently killing it on Aquaman.
I actually think that Johns has skill as a writer. There are stories he wrote for DC that I like a good deal. He just underwent a period in his career where he could never maintain any sort of continuity coherence with all of his constant retcons, and as a result of that and his impulsive need to feed us more and more pointless events, his quality dropped to the extent that I dislike his writing currently. Having said that, I feel confident his writing is fine right now; I just lost patience with his story quality for me to care enough to check.
#35 Posted by SC (13149 posts) - - Show Bio

As far as why some, especially casual fans can buy into Marvel being more realistic? Well casual fans knowledge tends to be very limited. Its like comparing a child's scientific capabilities to someone studying science at university level (hopefully...) so its more to do with perceptions rather than objective fact. Perceptions wise there is much reasoning which could account for such perceptions, especially in such a limited sense. Marvel can tend to be a cynical place, and people's impressions of other people other than themselves do tend to be a bit cynical, even if they don't regard themselves as cynical. Most people's threads and blogs at CV, including my own almost seem like venting and ranting at the ignorance of others... lol in that sense, Marvel could be accused of having more morally ambiguous characters that can provide the illusion of depth, compared to the absolutes that say Superman can have? As in will Superman always do the right thing? Not just attempt to do the right thing? Just ultimately doing the right thing? Barring extreme circumstances. Thats almost an absolute, in fact he almost seems to define morality, as in what would Superman do? Then again, that can be Captain America as well, expect Captain America isn't Marvels biggest character so its perceptions again. The deeper you go, the more complicated it can get leading to multiple complex points/answers. 

#36 Posted by Illuminatus (9509 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silver2467 said:
I actually think that Johns has skill as a writer. There are stories he wrote for DC that I like a good deal. He just underwent a period in his career where he could never maintain any sort of continuity coherence with all of his constant retcons, and as a result of that and his impulsive need to feed us more and more pointless events, his quality dropped to the extent that I dislike his writing currently. Having said that, I feel confident his writing is fine right now; I just lost patience with his story quality for me to care enough to check.
Yes, he is quite skilled, especially when writing characters that have an inherent science-fiction element to them. And yes, he has had times where has hasn't done his homework, and made all of us readers sing, "Ho hum, do your homework, Mr. Johns".  

His creative influences on Green Lantern are telling though. Quite frankly, I don't believe he is qualified to have the slightest creative input into a feature-length live-action CBM. 
#37 Posted by Strider92 (16616 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hawk80: Good point but I find that most hero's in Dc as Stegman said again have an almost non-flawed sense of morality.

#38 Posted by Silver2467 (16527 posts) - - Show Bio
@Illuminatus said:
@Silver2467 said:
Yes, he is quite skilled, especially when writing characters that have an inherent science-fiction element to them. And yes, he has had times where has hasn't done his homework, and made all of us readers sing, "Ho hum, do your homework, Mr. Johns".  

His creative influences on Green Lantern are telling though. Quite frankly, I don't believe he is qualified to have the slightest creative input into a feature-length live-action CBM. 
I hear you.
#39 Edited by girl_from_the_future (38 posts) - - Show Bio

They're unrealistic on many, many levels; from bad physics to ridiculous sociology to a bizarrely dichotemized technological world. They also embody terrible, anti-human philosophies and technophobia. Comic books suck, not the least for the reason that their writers are typically ignorant tools. This is why they should all be public domain, so everything I read isn't written by some guy who doesn't give a shit about making any sense.

#40 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

Realistic was deterred from points made in the crossover, and relatable a subject of comparison in a point made and then passed along between the characters of Superman and Spider-man during the eighties and against what was being produced in this comics at the time, specifically an iterated article and point made in Wizard magazine, which being prior to the internet and the current popularity of comics, was the go to source for universal opinion and subject matter of discussion amongst comic readers next to Comic Shop News, which tended to not push the envelope and stayed their hand on opinions, focusing more on advertizement and being the then version of hands on solicits. Hence, I believe this topic is a ghost and not really relevant at all anymore, and really dispute that it's even universally accepted fact either. Noting as well the wording used in the point, again on relation, not on realism which has been smeared and lumped in as time passed and like any piece of information or opinion from mouth changed in hand me down interpretation, is " more " meaning neither really ever were stated to actually be anyways.

#41 Posted by WillowHallow (11 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel that the characters in the Marvel universe are more reslistic, due to the fact that most of them were just ordinary people until they were superheros. I think it means that they are more gratious for their powers, because they know what it will be like to live without them.

#42 Posted by jhazzroucher (15875 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel is more realistic

#43 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel seems to tackle more realistic issues and events with flawed characters while Dc faces more unrealistic events with higher up characters

#44 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

The whole more realistic thing kinda left the building in the 80s.

#45 Posted by TDK_1997 (14902 posts) - - Show Bio

Both publishers have superheroes that are fighting unreal threats but for me DC is more realistic and better in every way.

#46 Posted by Mina319 (221 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superguy0009e:yes because im sure a huge monster in a purple suit with a big head that eats planets is coming next week, BECAUSE MARVELS UNIVERSE IS JUST IiKE OURS!!!! :D

#47 Posted by Mina319 (221 posts) - - Show Bio

@WillowHallow: And Static shock, green arrow, batman, the green lanterns(the human ones) the flash, captain marvel, blue beetle, cyborg, nightwing, robin, batgirl, black canary, the huntress, firestorm Etc, WERENT normal humans before they got their powers ?

#48 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33636 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Stegman said:
Honestly "relatable" is  relative, what some relate to others don't, i think what most people mean by Marvel being more "relatable" is that their heroes are "flawed" which is to me a gross generalization,   1. A hero doesn't have to be flawed or "damaged" to be a good character. (personally i'd rather my hero not be an alcoholic) 2. If you insist on your heroes to be that way, there are scores of them in Dc, i just think when people think of Dc they think of Superman and his perfect sense of morality...there's more than just Superman in DC comics
Also Superman has never had perfect morals 

and relatablity is overrated 
#49 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mina319: of course that's not realistic, he's coming in 3 months, not next week, gosh, get your schedule right

#50 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9095 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

Honestly "relatable" is relative, what some relate to others don't, i think what most people mean by Marvel being more "relatable" is that their heroes are "flawed" which is to me a gross generalization, 1. A hero doesn't have to be flawed or "damaged" to be a good character. (personally i'd rather my hero not be an alcoholic) 2. If you insist on your heroes to be that way, there are scores of them in Dc, i just think when people think of Dc they think of Superman and his perfect sense of morality...there's more than just Superman in DC comics

I agree Marvel is not more realistic but they have more relateable characters. DC is less relateable with their heroes.