?? im confused

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By kidchipotle

No. It's just an initiative to get new readers by constantly relaunching their books. Marvel has not rebooted nor retconned their universe majorly in any way with Marvel NOW!. It's still the same old Marvel Universe for the most part.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No. It's just an initiative to get new readers by constantly relaunching their books. Marvel has not rebooted nor retconned their universe majorly in any way with Marvel NOW!. It's still the same old Marvel Universe for the most part.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I hope not.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By daredevil21134

Marvel is too smart for stuff like that

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

@arturocalakayvee said:

@arturocalakayvee said:

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The idea did come form the new 52, but no it's not the same.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By reactor

Not... quite the case, but all the same, Marvel has never rebooted to my knowledge. As to whether they need to is another matter, and up to debate. DC reboots for a reason, continuity becomes convoluted over time - it just happens. To rectify it, DC tweaks the universe. Marvel basically tries to forget stuff exists and moves on. Consequently, this has resulted in the Marvel universe having more inconsistencies, contradictions and plot holes than there are craters on the moon. Some folks prefer the "let's just pretend this all doesn't exist now" approach, while other prefer the "okay, let's hit the reset button now". It's all depending on taste, but neither is necessarily the smarter move.

lesterlawton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To do it the way DC did it, they are. It's as though the guys at DC spent a total of 15 minutes planning before they initiated the reboot.

Avatar image for deactivated-61bde0e570bb9
deactivated-61bde0e570bb9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More a marketing scheme. To my knowledge, the only reboot that marvel has ever done was One More Day. They've never done a company wide reboot.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 said:

To do it the way DC did it, they are. It's as though the guys at DC spent a total of 15 minutes planning before they initiated the reboot.

Exactly!!And it's showing.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lesterlawton: Dude give them more credit. It was at least 20 minutes tops.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By daredevil21134

@reactor said:

@daredevil21134 said:

Not... quite the case, but all the same, Marvel has never rebooted to my knowledge. As to whether they need to is another matter, and up to debate. DC reboots for a reason, continuity becomes convoluted over time - it just happens. To rectify it, DC tweaks the universe. Marvel basically tries to forget stuff exists and moves on. Consequently, this has resulted in the Marvel universe having more inconsistencies, contradictions and plot holes than there are craters on the moon. Some folks prefer the "let's just pretend this all doesn't exist now" approach, while other prefer the "okay, let's hit the reset button now". It's all depending on taste, but neither is necessarily the smarter move.

That is true but I rather have them act like some of their continuity doesn't exist then do a full blown rewrite of most of all of their continuity. DC took away some of their most epic stories and characters out of continuity.A lot of their characters aren't even recognizable anymore so i'll take Marvel ignoring some of their continuity over Dc's new 52 reboot any day

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kidchipotle

@jaken7 said:

@farkam said:

@arturocalakayvee said:

@wolverine08 said:

@arturocalakayvee said:

@arturocalakayvee said:

I just loled at this and I probably shouldn't have

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JakeN7
Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No, but I think a reboot could be an interesting move for Marvel.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kidchipotle

@jaken7 said:

For some reason I found it so funny that you quoted me + the people who quoted me hahahaha

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By Jphu8414

No, as the very smart people before have already stated. New 52 was essentially a full on reboot. Marvel Now is just renumbering of most books back to 1 to gain new readers, for the most part this has been successful with the exception of a few books that aren't quite as jumping on points for new readers.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 the_stegman  Moderator

@daredevil21134 said:

I wouldn't say they're too smart, they just learned from DC's mistakes.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By daredevil21134

@lesterlawton said:

@daredevil21134 said:

My point was you don't have to be smart to do something that stupid

ZhuRong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC should of never rebooted. They should have just gave new costumes and powersets with new stroylines, thats all.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gracetrack

@reactor said:

@daredevil21134 said:

Well said, Reactor.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reactor said:

@daredevil21134 said:

That is true but I rather have them act like some of their continuity doesn't exist then do a full blown rewrite of most of all of their continuity. DC took away some of their most epic stories and characters out of continuity.A lot of their characters aren't even recognizable anymore so i'll take Marvel ignoring some of their continuity over Dc's new 52 reboot any day

Dude, these two actions are, effectively, the same thing; one is an official move (reboot), the other is an unspoken one (ignore). Either way, something is sacrificed so that the respective comic universe can move on. The only real difference between these is that one is, at the end of the day, still saddled with paradoxes and conflicting continuity, being Marvel. Like you insinuated, ignoring continuity doesn't make it technically go away, so you still have some of the stories you love; but therein lies the problem, as more and more stories will eventually clash with previously established canon.

Again, that method works for some folks, myself included (for Marvel), but for the making of a cohesive universe, Marvel's continuity is like a thousand spaghetti knots all jumbled together - it's an absolute mess. Because they are still tied down to their original universe, they *have* to disregard older stories to keep things moving, thus unofficially excising them from continuity. In practice, what Marvel does is essentially what DC has done. Marvel does it slowly, gradually casting aside older stories as newer ones are written, and DC does it cold turkey. However you feel about either method, they achieve the same result.

@lesterlawton said:

@daredevil21134 said:

This too, DC took a tremendous risk, and contrary to forum and die-hard Pre-Flashpoint loyalists, it has been almost entirely successful. Not to say it is without failure, but for DC, the New 52 was an overall success. To speculate; Marvel saw the results, learned what didn't work and what did, then made their move. It's a sound business action, and you never want to replicate someone else's foul-ups.

@zhurong said:

DC should of never rebooted. They should have just gave new costumes and powersets with new stroylines, thats all.

That's arguably a soft reboot, which is what the New 52 was. Because it was so unclear as to what stayed, a lot of peeps often forgot that.

@reactor said:

@daredevil21134 said:

Well said, Reactor.

Many thanks :)

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reactor said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@reactor said:

@daredevil21134 said:

Dude, these two actions are, effectively, the same thing; one is an official move (reboot), the other is an unspoken one (ignore). Either way, something is sacrificed so that the respective comic universe can move on. The only real difference between these is that one is, at the end of the day, still saddled with paradoxes and conflicting continuity, being Marvel. Like you insinuated, ignoring continuity doesn't make it technically go away, so you still have some of the stories you love; but therein lies the problem, as more and more stories will eventually clash with previously established canon.

Again, that method works for some folks, myself included (for Marvel), but for the making of a cohesive universe, Marvel's continuity is like a thousand spaghetti knots all jumbled together - it's an absolute mess. Because they are still tied down to their original universe, they *have* to disregard older stories to keep things moving, thus unofficially excising them from continuity. In practice, what Marvel does is essentially what DC has done. Marvel does it slowly, gradually casting aside older stories as newer ones are written, and DC does it cold turkey. However you feel about either method, they achieve the same result.

@the_stegman said:

@lesterlawton said:

@daredevil21134 said:

This too, DC took a tremendous risk, and contrary to forum and die-hard Pre-Flashpoint loyalists, it has been almost entirely successful. Not to say it is without failure, but for DC, the New 52 was an overall success. To speculate; Marvel saw the results, learned what didn't work and what did, then made their move. It's a sound business action, and you never want to replicate someone else's foul-ups.

@zhurong said:

That's arguably a soft reboot, which is what the New 52 was. Because it was so unclear as to what stayed, a lot of peeps often forgot that.

@omnicrono said:

@reactor said:

@daredevil21134 said:

Well said, Reactor.

Still slightly disagree

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do I feel a tad of hate coming from this comment?

G_leno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the main reasons that the continuity at DC got so bad is the over use of certain characters (cough-Batman-cough), he seems to be everywhere, all the time, What is his continuity? Do we even know what was left in the continuity for sure? Is the death of superman still canon? What about blackest night? I haven't seen anyone use the deputy rule in a lantern comic in N52.(I don't read GL or GL corps though)

ShenKuei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_leno said:

One of the main reasons that the continuity at DC got so bad is the over use of certain characters (cough-Batman-cough), he seems to be everywhere, all the time, What is his continuity? Do we even know what was left in the continuity for sure? Is the death of superman still canon? What about blackest night? I haven't seen anyone use the deputy rule in a lantern comic in N52.(I don't read GL or GL corps though)

Marvel is just as bad at that with Deadpool and Wolverine.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Why do I feel a tad of hate coming from this comment?

There seems to be quite a large amount of people who get annoyed by constant relaunching on the forum. I see lots of posts about it.

I personally don't care, though its a fairly obvious strategy by Marvel to increase sales or at least give the impression since #1s sell better.

Can't blame them for milking every penny though.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Better if they didn't

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32  Edited By InnerVenom123

Friendly reminder that if you want the Marvel universe to reboot you're wrong.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sovereign91001

@reactor said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@reactor said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@the_stegman said:

@lesterlawton said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@zhurong said:

@omnicrono said:

@reactor said:

@daredevil21134 said:

Well said, Reactor.

Pretty much all of this.

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

@daredevil21134: The Ultimate Universe is, essentially, Marvel's reboot. Their way of offering up fresh new takes on long established characters, & introducing them to a new audience. By keeping the established Marvel Universe going, it allowed Marvel to have it's cake & eat it, too. The Marvel Now initiative is not now, nor has it ever been a reboot. In theory, it's just a flare being sent up to alert readers regarding a line wide jumping on point. In that respect it's no different from Dark Reign or Age of Heroes, our whatever banner Marvel put across it's titles.

comedy_brosUSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sovereign91001:

well said. by the end of Brightest day and other events, origins and character involvement in the DC universe WAS confusing, but I think that's one of DC's traits. I mean, that isn't always a BAD thing, but at least in the new 52, we know what's going on. except I will say I liked pre new 52 better

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134: The Ultimate Universe is, essentially, Marvel's reboot. Their way of offering up fresh new takes on long established characters, & introducing them to a new audience. By keeping the established Marvel Universe going, it allowed Marvel to have it's cake & eat it, too. The Marvel Now initiative is not now, nor has it ever been a reboot. In theory, it's just a flare being sent up to alert readers regarding a line wide jumping on point. In that respect it's no different from Dark Reign or Age of Heroes, our whatever banner Marvel put across it's titles.

But some are saying it's no different from the New 52,in some regards

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm actually a little irked by what Marvel is doing now. Daredevil and The Indestructible Hulk, two titles I read, went about, what? 20 issues, then for NO REASON whatsoever..now have #1's again. Well, it's not for no reason, it's a sales gimmick. But I think if you're going to have issue #1, a reboot makes more sense than "We need a new first issue because Matt Murdoch moved to San Francisco." Or "Banner got shot." Yep..can't have Matt move in issue 20, and start his west coast life in issue 21..gotta have a new first issue. Oh..can't have Banner get shot in number 18, and see the fall-out in number 19..gotta start a new title." But back on topic. Both companies are old enough now that they have to discount some old stories. In Captain America's first appearance for Marvel (Avengers # 4 I think.) He had been out for 20 years, and popped up in 1963 or so. Marveling at things like Television. Is that story still a part of Marvel's continuity? And if it is, how do you explain "Man out of Time" where Steve pops up in 2004, having been out of commission for 60 years. (Like in the movie.) Does the Avengers number 4 story still "exist"? I guess I have fewer problems with DC just saying some of the old stuff never happened. (Or happened in a different reality, which is more my take.) As Alan Moore said in his "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" storyline. (And I'll paraphrase) This story is imaginary, then again, aren't they all?

At the end of the day, what matters most is are the books any good? Not "is continuity being obtained?" When I read Daredevil, I only care about the current issue, and not whether or not Frank Miller's run in the early 80's still counts.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm actually a little irked by what Marvel is doing now. Daredevil and The Indestructible Hulk, two titles I read, went about, what? 20 issues, then for NO REASON whatsoever..now have #1's again. Well, it's not for no reason, it's a sales gimmick. But I think if you're going to have issue #1, a reboot makes more sense than "We need a new first issue because Matt Murdoch moved to San Francisco." Or "Banner got shot." Yep..can't have Matt move in issue 20, and start his west coast life in issue 21..gotta have a new first issue. Oh..can't have Banner get shot in number 18, and see the fall-out in number 19..gotta start a new title." But back on topic. Both companies are old enough now that they have to discount some old stories. In Captain America's first appearance for Marvel (Avengers # 4 I think.) He had been out for 20 years, and popped up in 1963 or so. Marveling at things like Television. Is that story still a part of Marvel's continuity? And if it is, how do you explain "Man out of Time" where Steve pops up in 2004, having been out of commission for 60 years. (Like in the movie.) Does the Avengers number 4 story still "exist"? I guess I have fewer problems with DC just saying some of the old stuff never happened. (Or happened in a different reality, which is more my take.) As Alan Moore said in his "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" storyline. (And I'll paraphrase) This story is imaginary, then again, aren't they all?

At the end of the day, what matters most is are the books any good? Not "is continuity being obtained?" When I read Daredevil, I only care about the current issue, and not whether or not Frank Miller's run in the early 80's still counts.

Wait, that's why Indestructible rebooted?

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@manwhohaseverything said:

Wait, that's why Indestructible rebooted?

Well, it didn't reboot, but that's why there's a new #1. I think the new series isn't called Indestructible anymore, but it'll pick up right where Indestructible left off.

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By hart7668

Hm

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By PowerHerc

Not really. Marvel Now is basically Marvel's latest marketing scam.

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134: I tried to post this response a couple of times. For whatever reason, it didn't go through. So, apologies for the lateness of the reply. The only commonality Marvel Now shares with the "new" 52 is that both initiatives are attempts at garnering new, or perhaps lapsed, readers. The increase in cancellations and prevalence of "new" issue number ones has more to do with packaging for trades, than it does with alterations in continuity. Both publishers have subscribed to this weird idea that comic book stories are now television series seasons. So with the end of each " season", the comic book gets cancelled, and a new "season" begins. Possibly with a new creative team, possibly not. It's absurd, but what are you going to do?

The best way to illustrate the difference between Marvel Now and DC's "new" 52 is this... If you were a fan of Iron Man 20 years ago, and you pick up the newest issue of Iron Man, you're still reading the adventures of the exact same character. If you were a fan of Aquaman 20 years ago, and you pick up the newest issue of Aquaman, you're reading the adventures of a very different Aquaman who shares very little in common with the previous version.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Not really. Marvel Now is basically Marvel's latest marketing scam.

You can't really blame a company for doing everythign they can do make a buck. And constantly relaunching a title works lol.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#44  Edited By Cream_God

its like marvel....but NOW!!!

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like others have said, no Marvel Now is not a reboot the closest thing would be their Ultimate Universe.

Avatar image for simon_the_digger
Simon_the_digger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, but I don't get why they made Hulk.. well stupid again.

HAMMER_OF_J2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so did WWH still happen or Civil War

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

@hammer_of_j2: Everything still happened, unless it's been retconned.

HAMMER_OF_J2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By HAMMER_OF_J2
Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers