Is Marvel Going Overboard with Gay Characters?

• 128 results
Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#51  Edited By Gambit1024

No, but I'd like to read Young Avengers without the constant "Hey, these characters are gay!" reminder.

NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By NeonGameWave

@satyrgod said:

@NeonGameWave: "I think so." You think what, exactly? And why?

I think Marvel is going a bit overboard to some degree with the gay characters and also the generalization or realization of them being in the same Marvel Universe.

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#53  Edited By agent9149

Wiccan and Hulking are the jean grey and Cyclops of young avengers. They're relationship will always be a major factor of the series.

And really, until marvel released a solo gay character series. They haven't gone over board.

satyrgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By satyrgod
@NeonGameWave: "I think Marvel is going a bit overboard to some degree with the gay characters and also the generalization or realization of them being in the same Marvel Universe."

So, in your opinion, there should be a mainstream continuity with only heterosexual characters, and a gay universe?  Is that realistic?  I mean, we are everywhere.  Homosexuality is a reality, not an alternate dimension.  How does a handful of homos (so to speak) among a general population constitute going overboard?
NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By NeonGameWave

@satyrgod said:

@NeonGameWave: "I think Marvel is going a bit overboard to some degree with the gay characters and also the generalization or realization of them being in the same Marvel Universe." So, in your opinion, there should be a mainstream continuity with only heterosexual characters, and a gay universe? Is that realistic? I mean, we are everywhere. Homosexuality is a reality, not an alternate dimension. How does a handful of homos (so to speak) among a general population constitute going overboard?

My point is that I don`t really agree with it (no offence) but as a representation it makes sense being in the same Universe, however its hard to understand.

satyrgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By satyrgod
@NeonGameWave

I'm sure it must be.  It can be difficult to relate to others who are perceived as different.  But then, we're all "different" in some ways, right?  We all have individual wants and needs, we all express ourselves in our own way.  And we all need heroes; we need to see others who are "different" like we are and see that we are not alone.
NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By NeonGameWave

@satyrgod: Good point.

Obtrusive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Obtrusive

Does anyone know if the marvel gay ratio is similar to real life gay ratios?

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By charlieboy

Of course a Young Avengers book is going to have a lot of Wiccan and Hulkling in it. They are two of the most popular characters on the team and have been since it's inception. They are the heart of the team. Protector and Loki are the new comers to the team. I definitely didn't pick up the book for them. I would like to see Patriot and Speed return. Comics are showing more gay characters and it is great. As for the Northstar comments John Byrne always intended him to be gay and couldn't outright say it because of the politics of the eighties and the comics code authorities. But if you read early issues of Alpha Flight there are plenty of hints.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By Decoy Elite

@charlieboy: I find the first part of your post funny because I did get Young Avengers for Loki and Noh-Varr.

But I agree with your points.

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By charlieboy

@Decoy Elite: Well I am sure they have their fans. But I get Young Avengers because of Wiccan and Hulkling and Kate too. Loki and Protector were the last things on my mind. I love the fact that this couple is getting more panel time to develop their relationship than before.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Decoy Elite

@charlieboy: I think they deserved the most panel time by virtue of being the real main members of the team.

Besides Kate that is, but she was in space...for some reason the comic never explained to new readers...

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By charlieboy

@Decoy Elite: I am sure the new members are going to get more face time. But the book is probably going to heavily center on the established members for awhile.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Decoy Elite

@charlieboy: As a team book should. I just hope they start actually being more of a team quickly. Don't want them doing that fighting each other Marvel crap for too long.

Also I want to see what Ms.America's deal is. I don't know crap about her.

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By charlieboy

@Decoy Elite: I did some research on her and did not come up with much. She was a member of the initiative before this I think. I don't think she has any relation to the original Ms. America.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Decoy Elite

@charlieboy: Yeah, I couldn't find much either. I was hoping the first issue would at least try and introduce her to the reader...but nope.

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By charlieboy

@Decoy Elite: She's superstrong and can fly right? There was a story about her and Loki in Marvel Point One. But I have not picked up that issue.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Decoy Elite

@charlieboy: Didn't know about that issue. I'll need to pick it up as well.

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By CellphoneGirl

@lykopis said:

@kiss_lamia said:

sorry but i think its a bit sh!t to say its going overboard i mean plenty of str8 relationships get plenty of comic space in the past and present and no one whines when they get it, so now the gay one gets 15 mins everyones like oooh there shoving it in our faces, get over your selves please!

Pretty much this.

I just read the issue so I can weigh in on this fairly and I don't see the problem? Not at all. I see a lot more focus on private one on one time with Cyclops and Emma and more -- this read perfectly and organically into the story-line. It wasn't presented in a gimicky way, far from.

If this was an established hetero relationship, no one would have noticed or batted an eyelash. My opinion, of course.

Exactly

@Vance Astro said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@ripcurl: Your reading a Young Avengers book with no interest in Hulkling and Wiccan? Wut?

The thing is Hulkling and Wiccan were together for like 5-6 years now, why would anyone think they wouldn't devote any time to their relationship? That to me just sounds like the OP has a problem with gay relationships. You don't think that other Avengers books ever devoted pages to relationships? Every team book does this. This isn't even a gay thing, it's just two characters in a relationship that the writer is continuing to develop.

Agreed.

I'm actually offended by this op in general. Honestly there is no point in this thread to even be around. In my opinion it sounds like someone is a bit homophobic. For decades there has been SO much time dedicated on hetero relationships. There was even a series of Vision and The Scarlet Witch that came out like after they were married. I read an issue once where Daredevil's wife narrated how much she loved him. Yet once two gay characters get character development together people cry over it. It really does bother me that someone would go out of their way to say that Marvel is going overboard because they gave a gay character a wedding, and actually using character growth for once.

Instead of complaining about Young Avengers just don't read it. Everyone knows Wiccan and Hulking are the core characters of this series. It's obvious they will devote time on their relationship.

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By charlieboy

@Decoy Elite: Yeah I will probably get it. Just a pricier comic. Think it is like five bucks. lol. I am cheap sometimes.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Decoy Elite

@charlieboy: Ugh, Marvel hates my wallet.

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By charlieboy

@Decoy Elite: Lol. Unfortunately I buy lots of Marvel books. Fortunately most of my Dc books are a bit cheaper.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Decoy Elite

@charlieboy: For a little bit there I was only buying Marvel books. I'm dropping some books like flies so I can get Valiant stuff instead.

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By charlieboy

@Decoy Elite: I am mostly a Marvel and DC man. I read Dark Horse for the Buffy stuff. I used to read Witchblade but dropped it recently.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Decoy Elite

@charlieboy: I'm mostly a Marvel guy myself, but the Valiant stuff was being talked about enough to draw me in. Lovin' X-O Manowar so I'm checking out their other stuff.

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By charlieboy

@Decoy Elite: I usually check out other stuff I don't usually read after it goes to the cheaper back issue bins. I am actually reading the original Alpha Flight series now because I found a bunch of them in a 25 cent bin.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Decoy Elite

@charlieboy: I think I'll try that next time I go to my local shop, sadly they mostly have expensive old comics.

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By charlieboy

@Decoy Elite: Most comic shops I have been to have cheaper bins hidden somewhere.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#79  Edited By Joygirl

Yeah it isn't just Marvel... I tried to read some Stormwatch and got exhausted quickly by how very, VERY gay Apollo and Midnighter were. It was like "eaaaawr fighting monsters, goodness sweetie you have such beautiful eyes" "grahhhhh I'm a loose cannon killer, killin' for that butt sugarlumps". Nobody else acts like that. XD

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

User Lists: 2

#80  Edited By Cavemold

the YA relationships is made teens . but i hope it doesnt become degrassi

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#81  Edited By Yung ANcient One

I'm actually offended by this op in general. Honestly there is no point in this thread to even be around. In my opinion it sounds like someone is a bit homophobic.

As someone once said

There is nothing wrong with not knowing, but everything wrong for not trying to learn. The OP has a point of view, and is asking for every ones opinion. Now a discussion has started, and that's always great. "Communication saves relations." Also I know its 2013, but being Gay is still a bit taboo. It is definitely not THAT normal. That is just my honest opinion, and my interpretation of the situation.

@xxCellPhoneGirlxx: (+)

satyrgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By satyrgod
@Yung ANcient One: Doesn't mean he isn't homophobic.  Why should this relationship even be an issue?
No Caption Provided
Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Yung ANcient One

@satyrgod: I don't think he is... I mean if he was why would he even pick up The Young Avengers?

. Why should this relationship even be an issue

^That^ is exactly what he's saying. XP

III. There is nothing to "Get Over." Colossus is one of my favorite X-Men, he is gay on the Ultimate Universe, and I don't care. Frank Ocean is one of my favorite R&B Artist, and I could care less. I seriously just watched this Video of Juelz Santana talking about Jeremy Scott controversy because he's Gay, and I quote.

"To each is own... Like I said, peoples personal choices got nothing to do with their talent. His sneakers is his talent, you understand. His personal preference...If He's Gay.. SO what? You like the sneakers buy em. You think you can make them fly, you got something to wear with them... You wear em. You don't... don't wear em."

Which Leads me to his closing statement that I 100% agree with:

"I respect THAT part about it...being... just doing what You want to do. Cuz Imma do what I want to do. I don't give a **** about what nobody gone say. I really don't."

(+)

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By charlieboy

I am curious if this was a straight couple in the first issue of Young Avengers if this topic would even have been made? Is it the relationship stuff that is bothersome or is it the fact it's a gay couple?

ripcurl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By ripcurl

@xxCellPhoneGirlxx:

You're offended?

Oh really?

Then take your own advice. Move on.

Med

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Med

it started out as tokenism and then snowballed

Batnandez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Batnandez

OP was complaining about the romance I think. It's like harry potter 6 I hated that movie because they spent forever focusing on stupid teen romance instead of focusing on the actual story. A little romance here and there is fine whatever, but dedicating tons of pages to it bleh. Part of the gay stuff in comics I almost guarantee is due to editing more publicity for this stuff means new readers means money.

Avatar image for thomasdonaldson
thomasdonaldson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The homophobia in this is ridiculous jfc.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Marvel should make new characters that fit well as gay individuals instead of making iceman randomly gay for instance

Avatar image for deactivated-6241fa3a1cff5
deactivated-6241fa3a1cff5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

n X-men title where more than half the book dealt with Scott's feelings for Jean (or Emma)

I know that this is from 3 years ago, but I'm calling major bullshit on this.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The thing with diversity is that you have to make it natural and not hamfist it like some people tend to do. It works for new characters but bringing it up with a pre-existing character out if the blue just makes absolutely no sense.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a853424245e3
deactivated-5a853424245e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't recall anyone complaining when companies were "going overboard" with straight characters. Hm.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't recall anyone complaining when companies were "going overboard" with straight characters. Hm.

Actually we do, granted we focus more on the relationship aspect rather them being straight which is one of the problem, the fact that is not just a relationship, it has to be gay, look is gay look at instead of hey these two people are dating. Focusing too much on someone romance has always been annoying, and being gay does not excuse it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgames said:
@cruelestashley said:

Actually we do, granted we focus more on the relationship aspect rather them being straight which is one of the problem, the fact that is not just a relationship, it has to be gay, look is gay look at instead of hey these two people are dating. Focusing too much on someone romance has always been annoying, and being gay does not excuse it.

What are you even talking about? A gay relationship is just a relationship.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgames said:
@cruelestashley said:

What are you even talking about? A gay relationship is just a relationship.

EXACTLY, that what people are complaining, the fact that the relationship does not feel like the focus, and instead they focus on the gay aspect.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgames: I think it's the people rather than the narrative harping on that, hence my initial post.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgames: I think it's the people rather than the narrative harping on that, hence my initial post.

Except the fact that you are trying to imply people don't complain about straight relationship, when people have been. It just never about them being straight, because is not like they focus on the fact they are straight, but whatever is literature you can interpret something however you want, but all I am saying is most people feel the narrative is doing a poor job, but more power to you if you disagree.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgames said:
@cruelestashley said:

Except the fact that you are trying to imply people don't complain about straight relationship, when people have been. It just never about them being straight, because is not like they focus on the fact they are straight, but whatever is literature you can interpret something however you want, but all I am saying is most people feel the narrative is doing a poor job, but more power to you if you disagree.

You're grasping straws--I didn't mention relationships until you did. My point was, people never complain about characters being straight, but get extremely offended over gay characters.

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wiccan and Hulking, get the same treatment as Peter and MJ, Emma and Scot, Scot and Jean, Gambit and Rogue, Peter and Kitty, Storm and Panther, Cap and Carter, Hulk and Betty, etc. etc. etc.

but when it's gay, it's forced. it's not natural. You're not slick. Like please, its' obvious you have some problem with it.