Is Krypton being destroyed not that big a deal anymore?...

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wolfrazer

It just seems to me like the planet being gone, doesn't seem to have a real impact anymore. I mean lets look at it...

At the start only Superman/Krypto were the survivors...ok good, both of their backstories make sense. Then you have Supergirl...which is just "what?". Then you get Zod and his 2 lackeys from the Phantom Zone....and then you get Power Girl from Earth 2, and now we got H'EL.

So...we now have 8 Kryptonians, I mean...I guess that its still a small group compared to an entire planet. But...did we really need to have Supergirl and Power Girl on the same Earth, when they are pretty much the same person just 1 is older then the other? Not to mention Supergirl's backstory was completely ridiculous(her 1st origin way back), and now they just try to fit her in nicely so she can still be around.

I don't hate these characters, and I get it...diversity within comics and all that. But this is just making the destruction of Krypton feel less like a big thing, then what it actually was.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Jorgevy

imagine Earth was destroyed and only 6 people survived plus a dog, plus one person from an alternate universe (which is a nice excuse since, well, it's a freaking alternate universe, different things happen)

out of the 6 billion (close to 7), plus the countless species of animals and plants and etc... only 6 people and a dog survived. do you think that would be enough to make the destruction of Earth not that big of a deal?

PS: not to mention that out of those people, there's only two females and they share similar if not identical DNA and are related to one of the males, which accounts for a not very diverse genepool and a cultural background that probably doesn't even account for 0,00001% of all of that planet's history and culture

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Wolfrazer

@jorgevy: Never said it wasn't a big deal, just not as big as one at the start when there were only 2 survivors from it. Now were up to 8, and who is to say later that more won't show up?

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By RedQueen
@jorgevy said:

imagine Earth was destroyed and only 6 people survived plus a dog, plus one person from an alternate universe (which is a nice excuse since, well, it's a freaking alternate universe, different things happen)

out of the 6 billion (close to 7), plus the countless species of animals and plants and etc... only 6 people and a dog survived. do you think that would be enough to make the destruction of Earth not that big of a deal?

PS: not to mention that out of those people, there's only two females and they share similar if not identical DNA and are related to one of the males, which accounts for a not very diverse genepool and a cultural background that probably doesn't even account for 0,00001% of all of that planet's history and culture

^This...

@wolfrazer said:

@jorgevy: Never said it wasn't a big deal, just not as big as one at the start when there were only 2 survivors from it. Now were up to 8, and who is to say later that more won't show up?

It was kind of the same before the New 52.... Minus H'El and depending on the story Zod's lackeys. There's also Kandor. I doubt anymore will be introduced.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

still doesn't make that much of a difference. and H'el is the only recent addition per se, there's also Kandor as Red Queen said....

it would only start to make a difference if you got a few dozens more from several parts of the extinct planet and maybe a lot of data chips with info and stuff and some salvaged tech and species....

heck, now that I think of it, Kandor and the Fortress of Solitude have lots of that so.....

I think it's to be taken more on the emotional side than the pratical side. It's not that hard for Kryptonians to rebuild a Krypton and call it home and restart anew but

wouldn't it be said if Earth was forever destroyed? Id be super sad and I bet lots of people would too.

we know it will happen eventually but happening sooner than expected.... I donno, I think it's a super big lost

on a semi related note i worked my butt off trying to save Earth in Mass Effect and it was just a game (or was it?)

ZombieMowlcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

@jorgevy: Don't worry, 1st cousins are legal.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

@jorgevy: Don't worry, 1st cousins are legal.

I know and I dont see any problem with that as long as they love each other; it happens sometimes here where I live, it's totally okay

but when your population in under 10... that doesnt seem like a great idea, donno

Im no expert geneticist

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Guardiandevil83

Also the bottled city of Kandor. With like, litterly, thousands of Kryptonians.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 the_stegman  Moderator

I was kinda upset with the "New Krypton'' arc that had not only a new planet (next to Earth no less) but all of the Kandorians free and superpowered now, it was a good story, but that felt like it took away some of Krypton's impact.

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By hart7668

We haven't had a story with Kandor in the New 52 so I'm not sure how much they count. Was Kandor in Action Comics?

I would love a comic about a Krypton set around, oh I dunno, 100 years prior to Kal-El being born. Just to see what the culture and diversity of Krypton is.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was kinda upset with the "New Krypton'' arc that had not only a new planet (next to Earth no less) but all of the Kandorians free and superpowered now, it was a good story, but that felt like it took away some of Krypton's impact.

New Krypton was a bore, but last stand of new krypton and war of the supermen was awesome!

@hart7668 said:

We haven't had a story with Kandor in the New 52 so I'm not sure how much they count. Was Kandor in Action Comics?

I would love a comic about a Krypton set around, oh I dunno, 100 years prior to Kal-El being born. Just to see what the culture and diversity of Krypton is.

it was in action comics 7-8 when supes gets his suit from brainiacs collection.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since Krypton had advanced science, I can believe there are more kryptonian survivors in other planets and in space.

Notemoro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Notemoro

Though I totally agree with you about Supergirl and Power, I will say that yeah blowing up the planet, whether it be the sun or a war, is still sorta a big deal tot the story and character. But with that being said...I personally feel that Kal-El kinda should be the only survivor (I suppose you could have Zod for conflict purposes) because none of those other characters (especially for the god awful animals like Krypto) are really not important nor necessary to the mythos of Superman. In addition to that, those "side characters"...and please correct me if I am wrong on this...were created during the time when comics were dying out so personally I still don't understand why they are still around.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Krypton does not need to explode for there to be a Superman on earth. Maybe jor-el's family was just being persecuted so jor-el decides to send kal-el to earth for safety. In the moses story, there was no explosion causing the baby moses to be adopted.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im perfectly fine with lots being alive. I doubt every single on the planet thought Jor-El was crazy. Plus there were the kandorians and the phantom zone people....I accept there would be more and not just superman and his dog

Perpetr8rMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombiemowlcher: Look up the old comics. Superman says the only reason he is not with her is because on earth cousins cannot marry. He also spends a few comics kissing her as she is playing the part of Mighty Maid to trick some aliens into believing he left earth to get married in an alternate dimension. Well also she was 15 at the time.

Avatar image for thebigredcheese
TheBigRedCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't mind if Superman truly was the last of his kind. Honestly, I would prefer Superman being the only Kryptonian that survived the explosion of Krypton.

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By hart7668

@colonyofcells: Well, weren't the Kryptonians typically (now I mean typically not every time) depicted as somewhat xenophobic and not wanting to travel to other planets? They hate clones (Superboy being called "Kon-El" meaning 'abomination' would certainly prove that point) and in J. Michael Straczynski 's Superman: Earth One, Tyrell the Dheronian stated that the Dheronians and Kryptonians would destroy each others' space exploration programs. With the exception of H'el, I don't think there would be many in other solar systems.

Basically, I think that even though they have WAYY way superior science to most species, they don't necessarily always exploit it.

ZombieMowlcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perpetr8rmike: From what I've read, it was less than a hundred years ago 15 was a perfactly fine age to get married, also cousins.