Is it really any surprise the Fantastic Four is bombing?

• 98 results
_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is it really any surprise the Fantastic Four is bombing? (76 votes)

Yes 13%
No 88%

Initial responses and early showings were positive. They said the movie was fun and very entertaining. I was hesitant, because in one member review, it was said the first 2 FF films were also good films for what they were - Yikes.

Unfortunately, the mass of reviews are now in, and they're not looking good. Currently on IMDB (which I find to typically be the most reliable movie review site) the film is sitting at a 5.7/10 (with over 1,000 votes). Hardly stellar, and barely good.

Now, that could obviously go up or down a point. Pixels, which we all know was a giant steaming pile, actually went UP a point after a week or two. Regardless, an initial 5.7 standing doesn't bode well. Metacritic has it sitting at a 32/100, but that's only with 4 reviews.

Now, my question is, are these ratings really any surprise? The FF are difficult to translate to live action. As goofy as Antman is, I honestly believe he's an EASIER character to relay than the entirety of the FF. A stretchy guy? An invisible/force field woman? A... Rock?

What are your thoughts? What do you think went wrong inside this film to give it such a BARELY lukewarm opinion?

Obviously all speculation since it isn't released, but hey, disasters are always interesting to discuss.

• 
those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well what the hell can you expect when Doctor Doom is a blogger? Its bound to be a bad movie on that merit alone.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By AllStarSuperman

No, everything about it screams awful.

sentry4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think they have an interesting origin story, but they keep turning it into an entire movie. The GL movie had this problem too (among others). Nobody wants to see superheroes fumble around learning powers for an entire movie. They have to get into Dr. Doom as a serious threat too.

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Rpgesus

it was clear it was gonna suck from the first trailer. everyone knew except the people who just cried "but you cant judge it until it comes out"

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 the_stegman  Moderator

*Reserves judgement until Friday*

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Twentyfive

Since I have a mind of my own, I'll wait to see it for myself before crying on the internet about how bad it was.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

@the_stegman: Same. But regardless, it's still not looking too good.

gokuss4z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not at all it seems like they tried to ruin it on purpose.

Truth_Teller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Johnny Storm is black. So, no.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twentyfive: And then you'll cry on the Internet about how bad it was?

Because I guarantee you will.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

After all the controversy? Nope.

Let's hope that Marvel will get FF back.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Twentyfive

@_mongul: How do you knowthat? Unless you already saw it...

And to answer your question, no I won't cry about it on the internet anyway, because I have more meaningful things to do.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By flameboy298

It's too early to call it a bomb.It might not be well received by critics,but it still can make a decent sum at the Box Office.Some people are just seeing this movie to spite,I don't see what good thats doing at all.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twentyfive: Because multiple people have seen it and all agree that it sucks.

Can you name a single movie that got a 15% on Rotten Tomatoes, which was actually good?

I'll wait.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

Thanks for bringing this up, plenty of people said "they are going in a different direction" but character interpretation is important especially for a famous team like FF and changing a characters race means two things, that characters initial identity has no value and neither does race.

The fact is, kids grew up reading the FF and watching shows with them in it, Storm has always been white and this let young white kids identify with him and want to be him. Marvel should try and support their own amazing black super heroes (ones like Blade who got a movie even before Spiderman) rather than simply paint over an existing character just to draw people in. Making Johnny Storm black is saying to the black community "you don't need a character you have grown with or can truly identify with, here is a famous white character we made black for a new movie, that's good enough, right?"

So many great black super heroes aren't getting their chance to shine on the silver screen and it's annoying, Luke Cage, Steel (he deserves a reboot), Static, Storm, and so many deserve their own movies. Personally I'd like to see a War Machine movie to explain what he was doing during the invasion of the first Avengers film, maybe bring in an obscure Iron Man villain.

Deadgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. Because if it wasn't for bad reviews then bad timing would surely kill it now. Mission Impossible, Antman, Minions & even Inside Out are still running so why general audience will go for Fantastic Four now since its getting bad reviews, pre-release negative buzz & not to mention last two movies were bad too.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything about it seems awful but I will see it anyway to judge it myself.

Spiderman1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*Reserves judgement until Friday*

Looks like I'm going to have an easier time than most people since I didn't even care about the movie to begin with and will only see it out of principle.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deadgod: Mission Impossible was top-notch, by the way.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

No. People have pointed out the reasons more or less in advance and I'm gonna argue even the people who did want to give it a chance are not terribly suprised that Fox made another bad Fantastic Four movie.

I don't think the Fantastic Four are harder to adapt than Ant-Man though. The problem is just that Fox went with the same fairly realistic tone they use for the X-Men movies and the fantastic four are a little to outworldly and ridiculous for that.

@_mongul said:

@twentyfive: Because multiple people have seen it and all agree that it sucks.

Can you name a single movie that got a 15% on Rotten Tomatoes, which was actually good?

I'll wait.

It's back to 20%. And Resurrection of F is currently at 100% so there is that if you have low sample sizes.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stahlflamme: 10 isn't a low sample size among established critics, though.

That's a consensus.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stahlflamme: No,the problem is Fox just made this movie out of spite to retain the rights.Time again and again Fox has demonstrated that they don't care about their properties.Remember What they did to Deadpool and we're just now getting a proper Deadpool?

SymbioteSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, I was guessing it was gonna do well. Still going to see it

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_mongul said:

I quite like Saving Silverman, but to be honest I could never tell if that was because it was bad or not.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Not a surprise at all.

MrHamWallet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No it has always looked awful, the casting was really poor all round and tbh I've never thought the F4 translate well, to the masses nowadays they are not cool heroes. They should just sell the rights to marvel so we can have Silver Surfer in infinity wars.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL no.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I will wait to watch the movie before saying anything. After all choice is a personal derivative. You might not like the movie that I find absolutely fascinating.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

the F4 have had the most consistently terrible history on film

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well what the hell can you expect when Doctor Doom is a blogger? Its bound to be a bad movie on that merit alone.

LOL tell me you are joking.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

@makhai: Thats whats been rumored. I dont know if its true or not.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I don't think bad reviews qualify as bombing, there have been plenty of movies that got terrible reviews yet became wildly successful. A lot of critics hated Star Wars when it came out and I'd hardly call that a bomb.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flameboy298: Thanks to Ryan who fought his ass off for it. That man will always have my respect.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By buttersdaman000

How has it bombed? And besides a handful of geeks, no one really cares that Johnny Storm is black. It definitely won't be affecting the box office pull of the movie significantly anyways.

RetconCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think bad reviews qualify as bombing, there have been plenty of movies that got terrible reviews yet became wildly successful. A lot of critics hated Star Wars when it came out and I'd hardly call that a bomb.

It is critically bombing at 18% as of this moment. Since the movie hasn't even been released yet, it obviously is not referring to the box office numbers.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't liked a thing (no pun intended) that I've seen of this film so far. Pics, trailers, nothing. I'm not going to pass judgement since I haven't seen it, but I'm not wasting my money either. I'll just check out once it debuts on FX.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sentry4 said:

I don't think they have an interesting origin story, but they keep turning it into an entire movie. The GL movie had this problem too (among others). Nobody wants to see superheroes fumble around learning powers for an entire movie. They have to get into Dr. Doom as a serious threat too.

OH MY GOD! Dude! you made a VERY good point. This guy is right I don't want to spend the half the whole movie of them trying to figure out how to use these powers and still figure out who are what are they facing off against. Not to mention we have to go through Dr. Doom's origin which i'm most certain it's already gone to hell (I heard they are making him an alien).....OK?

So no i'm not surprised at all that this movie didn't do good in ratings.

sentry4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormphoenix: You know what would be a good movie? A recreation of The Books of Doom, Dr Doom's actual origin story. He's a very interesting character and could tie into an Avengers movie.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truth_teller said:

Thanks for bringing this up, plenty of people said "they are going in a different direction" but character interpretation is important especially for a famous team like FF and changing a characters race means two things, that characters initial identity has no value and neither does race.

The fact is, kids grew up reading the FF and watching shows with them in it, Storm has always been white and this let young white kids identify with him and want to be him. Marvel should try and support their own amazing black super heroes (ones like Blade who got a movie even before Spiderman) rather than simply paint over an existing character just to draw people in. Making Johnny Storm black is saying to the black community "you don't need a character you have grown with or can truly identify with, here is a famous white character we made black for a new movie, that's good enough, right?"

So many great black super heroes aren't getting their chance to shine on the silver screen and it's annoying, Luke Cage, Steel (he deserves a reboot), Static, Storm, and so many deserve their own movies. Personally I'd like to see a War Machine movie to explain what he was doing during the invasion of the first Avengers film, maybe bring in an obscure Iron Man villain.

I highly doubt that this movie is bombing because the white guys are saying "Ugh! This is not the Johnny I grew up with? How can I possibly relate to a black man?!"

It's probably for more substantial reasons....like plot or characterization or something along those lines.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sentry4: You know what I like you. You bring up so many good idea and points. Yes you are correct just give Marvel Doom, Galactus, Annhilus, The Negative Zone,Skrulls and we good.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well he is suppose to be a computer technician and blogger. Its been stated even by the actor himself.

KEBBELL: "He’s Victor Domashev, not Victor Von Doom in our story. And I’m sure I’ll be sent to jail for telling you that. The Doom in ours—I’m a programmer. Very anti-social programmer. And on blogging sites I’m “Doom”.

His name isnt even Von doom in this movie. He gets the Doom from his blogging name.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@docholiday said:
@truth_teller said:

I highly doubt that this movie is bombing because the white guys are saying "Ugh! This is not the Johnny I grew up with? How can I possibly relate to a black man?!"

It's probably for more substantial reasons....like plot or characterization or something along those lines.

It's not just one character it is multiple characters and numerous reasons, I kind of went off on a tangent about how Marvel doesn't support its black characters.

As for this movie, honestly, I don't even want to see it. None of the trailers interested me at all and it is a trailers job to sell the audience the movie before it comes out but none of the action, characters or story draw my curiosity enough to want to see this film

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By w0nd
@sentry4 said:

OH MY GOD! Dude! you made a VERY good point. This guy is right I don't want to spend the half the whole movie of them trying to figure out how to use these powers and still figure out who are what are they facing off against. Not to mention we have to go through Dr. Doom's origin which i'm most certain it's already gone to hell (I heard they are making him an alien).....OK?

So no i'm not surprised at all that this movie didn't do good in ratings.

so first people say he's a blogger, and now he's an alien, in the same thread? wtf .... clearly something is wrong here.... unless he's an alien blogger.

this is another "the ninja turtles are aliens and donnie is a girl" situation isn't it.

sentry4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdetective27 said:

Well he is suppose to be a computer technician and blogger. Its been stated even by the actor himself.

KEBBELL: "He’s Victor Domashev, not Victor Von Doom in our story. And I’m sure I’ll be sent to jail for telling you that. The Doom in ours—I’m a programmer. Very anti-social programmer. And on blogging sites I’m “Doom”.

His name isnt even Von doom in this movie. He gets the Doom from his blogging name.

What. The. Fuck. Can they please make a good and actual origin story for one of their best, if not their best villain? Seriously, Books of Doom would be a great film, definitely worth a read if interested in Doom at all. I hope Marvel gets the rights back and does something good with them.

Imperfect_Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should've just skipped the lame ass Fantastic 4 and went to the cool shit and made a good Silver Surfer movie.