willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@willpayton said:
@thegrayghost said:

Thus the question of "going all out" or not becomes meaningless . Unless the person is as fast anyway , going "all out" is no differnet to seeing the world as stationary when caught by surprise . Superspeed doesn't have an "ON" switch for these people . They *cant* be caught by surprise or need to go "all out" .

No doubt superspeed works differently for different characters, so I wont claim that it does. But, for for most I'd say that there is such a thing as an "ON slider". Meaning, that it's something they have to focus on to use and to speed up and down. Otherwise, if they lived in a constant state of seeing the world at such speeds, it means they'd go crazy from boredom watching everything around them at a standstill, having to wait what appears to be years before anything happens. Think of it like focusing on a particular voice in a crowded room full of people talking. At first it's all just a jumble of voices and you cant tell what anyone is saying. But if you concentrate and focus on one sound, then you can tell it apart from the others.

This is why I think sometimes people like Flash can be tagged, because he's using superspeed but not at full strength. He's not fully concentrating on it. Same thing for Superman.

The ON slider thing amounts to the same thing . If , logically , you will go crazy from utilising superspeed all the time , you will likewise go crazy from NOT utilising it in combat , which is where all these "tagging the speedster " feats mostly come from

I mean, I can't imagine what Flash's state of mind would be like , to go home and think about having been impaled by the guy protecting a close friend's rapist .....if only he could time travel and rectify the problem.....oh

That aside Flash at least has outright noted stuff like having seconds stretch for years for him and how he deals with that, and they , all of them, have feats for their superspeed kicking in without a slider . Does it make a lot of sense for them not to go insane ? I dunno, we are talking about an alien God that gets his powers from the sun, a dude who is channeling the literal embodiment of speed , another guy whom rides a surfboard inside black holes

It's comics . Sticking to feats , rather than speculation makes the most sense .

Everything here is speculation. The only difference is whether some speculation is more founded than others. Feats are nice, but feats dont tell the whole story. Also, many people like to make a lot of unwarranted assumptions from feats. Feats alone will not get you anywhere. People need to stop worshiping at the Altar of Feats.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#52  Edited By dernman

@slayz said:
@dernman said:
@slayz said:

@dernman: What is 'stupid'?

The problem in PIS is that it's subjective in nature.

Most things are subjective. Lucky as humans we have a thing called judgment. You can be wrong or not but subjective or not doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Other wise nothing in life would be debated or discussed.

Right, but what I'm saying is what makes your definition of "stupid" the definitive one?

What you consider PIS at all may not be to someone else.

I already addressed the point of if I consider something PIS and somebody else doesn't. It doesn't matter. Where did you get the idea that everyone had to agree? Before you say then nothing will ever be settled What gave you the idea everything can be settled? We're critiquing ideas and works of fiction. Sure there are some things that are easier than others with common sense. A normal man with no powers suddenly punching through the time barrier but it's still just judgment. You mat not consider it PIS but I would and am only going to value it as PIS unless you can change my mind.

People really need to get their heads out of the Battle Forums. PIS is not a product of them nor are they limited to feats. I find those complaining about the concept of PIS are those who have issues because of the Battle Forum Mind set whether they're a battle forum goer or not.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty: if its something like the cw flash keeps getting hit, then i take into consideration he is just a crappy fighter, but this is the same character who plucked a bullet that was shot at the back of his head from only a few feet away.

As soon as he felt it touch him, he was quick enough to BLINDLY pluck it out of the air.

recap

he was busy fighting one meta human, someone shot him the bullet slightly touched his skull, and his reaction time and speed was so fast he grabbed it before it killed him.

This same character keeps getting hit and punched by people with normal human speed levels, or peak human speed.

It happens all the time, but to me that is stupid. One minute he is plucking bullets blindly, the next grodd, and vandal get the drop on him?

TheGrayGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton: Everything here is speculation. The only difference is whether some speculation is more founded than others. Feats are nice, but feats dont tell the whole story. Also, many people like to make a lot of unwarranted assumptions from feats. Feats alone will not get you anywhere. People need to stop worshiping at the Altar of Feats.

I mean it is pretty difficult to claim say Wally reacting in a picosecond is .....ehhh "speculation" given it is explicitly noted on panel....but congratulations anyway for claiming so.

And that's what I mean by "fan fiction". So basically, you want to say Team DC wins all the time , and say someone like Kingan or Randomsid will have Team Marvel win all the time, and you can't really argue against that without contradicting yourself, which leads to the bemusing question as to why you bother in the first place. Since everything is speculation anyway, and you frequently get intio debates with....for lack of a better word, the "marvel crowd", what are you even trying to prove except for the fact that you don't believe in your own logic? You are never going to change their minds and you have no right to call anyone else wrong given everything is speculation anyway , so stop contradicting your own doctrine. Your speculation is no "better founded" than any other speculation , except by an (extremely) arbitrary set of rules you set for yourself , which anyway leaves you no right to criticise anyone else's arbitrary set of rules for their own speculation

In fact,since everything is speculation and these long winded arguments are nothing but more speculation this

Everything here is speculation. The only difference is whether some speculation is more founded than others. Feats are nice, but feats dont tell the whole story. Also, many people like to make a lot of unwarranted assumptions from feats. Feats alone will not get you anywhere. People need to stop worshiping at the Altar of Feats.

means Hulk can totally thrash Superman, Doomsday and heh...Alan Scott at the same time, effortlessly. After all, "feats don't tell the whole story" and since "some speculation is more founded than others"( who's to decide anyway? You? Ha!) I feel glad that you agree with me that the Hulk will obliterate the aforementioned 3 at the same time, without effort

Thank you. I never knew you were such a Hulk fan but I'm glad you are beginning to see the light now.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: Great, so you admit PIS is a subjective construct of your own mind and can't be applied as a blanket statement to everyone you disagree with.

That's all I was looking for.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By dernman

@slayz said:

@dernman: Great, so you admit PIS is a subjective construct of your own mind and can't be applied as a blanket statement to everyone you disagree with.

That's all I was looking for.

No I admit its uses judgment to determine what is PIS like anything uses judgment to determine something. You can disagree on what something PIS is but it still exists and you CAN use it as a factor to dismiss it. Some are more debatable than others. Some are not really debatable at all.

Your problem is you still have the Battle Forum mind set.

NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By NeonGameWave

Its PIS when it is really high end and doesn't happen often also a lot of the time it can be CIS.

Avatar image for deactivated-652b01b81dedd
deactivated-652b01b81dedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackstaroblivion said:

That was fast.

:)

The answer is contained in the battle forum rules. The example of Superman is given, in fact. There are literally scores of examples of Superman getting tagged by characters slower than him as mentioned. The rules clearly identify ALL those times as PIS. The fact that it happens more often than not is irrelevant, given Superman's clear feats over the years that show he can operate at that level of speed.

The same holds true for Thanos. He has consistent feats over the years that underscore his level of durability. Lesser showings then would be dismissed in the same fashion as lesser feats for Superman: PIS.

And the list goes on and on.

To be clear: a character should have clear, consistent feats that show he/she can operate at a level of durability or speed, or telepathy or reaction speed, etc.... that makes lower showings standout out as PIS.

With Superman, I would almost call it CIS. He doesn't speedblitz or even use his full strength on most enemies because of morals, and that sometimes gets him in trouble.

Sure, I could live with that against the context of the comic books he routinely appears in.

But for battle forum discussions, where each combatant is trying their best, I agree completely with the battle forum rules that say Supes will blitz an opponent.

But I do see exactly what you mean and I agree.

Avatar image for deactivated-652b01b81dedd
deactivated-652b01b81dedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flash , Superman and the Surfer all have feats of observing the world around them as stationary , which makes them getting tagged by people not as fast as themselves , ridiculous.

No mainstream version of Wolverine exists that hasn't been pierced by bullets . The Hulk being someone who operates on a scale where bullets are negligible in comparison , every time he's hitting Logan and not turning him to a red mist , that then has to be attributed to Wolverine's healing factor operating on a scale where his skin is instantly returning even as it is flayed off . Since again, even Logan at his regen God craziest wasn't quite that good , that makes that PIS

Thanos hitting a speeding Surfer is PIS given his own lack of speed feats . Thanos shrugging off damage is not, given his durability feats

Ultimately of course , the ambiguity in Comicvine rules and relatively lenient enforcement of said rules , such as they are , enable fans to write their own fan fiction of whatever characters they prefer . Thus the Hulk can absolutely tag any speedster ever , despite his own absence of independent feats , because "he does it all the time" , yet the same fans will hold that he can totally, absolutely wreck the likes of Thanos physically despite Wolverine as noted , not getting one shotted , many times . Obviously consistency or an adherence even to their own rules , is not an issue for them .

Or for that matter , various DC fans . Who will take time to vilify the Hulk's lack of speed feats not related to tagging fast people, before calling Doomsday a speedster , for doing the exact same thing

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pretty much....the above.

No Caption Provided

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: Prove something is PIS, with facts.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By dernman

@slayz said:

@dernman: Prove something is PIS, with facts.

It's a fact that a normal powerless man cannot punch a hole in time, space, or reality..

Regardless it's irrelevant by asking that question I can to that the point I was making went over your head and possibly you're still stuck in the Battle Forum Mind set. If I wasn't so lazy I guess I could try a few more ways to approach explaining it to you but I'd rather just end it since it's reached my threshold of interest.

sooperfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Squirrel Girl is the most powerful being ever...no PIS

The_Valeyard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What I think PIS is when something that shouldnt happen just happen without any explaination, althou what should actually happened is totally to someone's own opinion and cant be really decided if its PIS or not unless its a really high end PIS

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

yes

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: Maybe a normal man couldn't, but in Comic Books, sure. Makes sense to me.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By dernman

@slayz said:

@dernman: Maybe a normal man couldn't, but in Comic Books, sure. Makes sense to me.

Then I seriously question your judgment as sound. Even in comics there are levels of rules depending on the universe.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By dernman

@slayz said:

@dernman: Ditto.

Thank you. Considering the source doubts PIS's existence i find that a compliment.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: You shouldn't, I was also saying your judgement is flawed.

But reading is hard, right? No harm no foul buddy.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By dernman

@slayz said:

@dernman: You shouldn't, I was also saying your judgement is flawed.

But reading is hard, right? No harm no foul buddy.

Talks about reading being hard, fails to comprehend what I meant, said and how it connects. Good one.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By dernman

For other users.

You believe something can be stupid?

You believe plot can induced something?

If you answer yes to both then you believe in PIS.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: I understand what you're saying just fine. Do you?

"Comics are subjective. But I'm right and you're wrong, even though I can't provide facts to back up my argument."

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slayz said:

@dernman: I understand what you're saying just fine. Do you?

"Comics are subjective. But I'm right and you're wrong, even though I can't provide facts to back up my argument."

No you don't and you've shown that.

Subjective. Already addressed that.

Nope you're still wrong get use to it.

Except you didn't back it up. What little you had to offer was addressed.

Too bad so sad.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: Whatever you need to tell yourself. I'm tired of hearing you talk in circles, we both know who was right here and that's what matters.

Spider-ManWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryubh: that story is non canon anyways.... not really pis if its fake

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

Yes. Plot Induced Stupidity is still Plot Induced Stupidity regardless of how many times is happens. That goes for writer and all other induced stupidities.

Stupid is as Stupid does. It's as simple as that.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By dernman

@slayz said:

@dernman: Whatever you need to tell yourself.

I don't need to tell myself anything because the truth is on my side on this.

I'm tired of hearing you talk in circles,

yeah wasting time with your not facing the obvious truth. Instead you'll bury your head and accept any stupid trash they feed you and say "comic"

Some of us have standards.

we both know who was right here and that's what matters.

So now you're switching you story and saying I'm right. Whatever.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: Again, if you want to think that, it's alright. But we both know that I was correct.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By dernman

@slayz said:

@dernman: Again, if you want to think that, it's alright. .

Again I don't have to think I'm correct because PIS exists and I'm right.

But we both know that I was correct

Another example of you being wrong but I'm not surprised. You make a habit of it. Case in point. 1. You thinking PIS not existing. 2 You thinking I would mistakenly think PIS didn't exists and believe you were right when you're obviously wrong. 3. Not pointing it out that you're still stubbornly denying it because you know you buy into any plot induced stupidity fed to you by creators.

You want to end it that's fine can see that but you got to stop insisting that I would have such terrible judgment that I would deny PIS existence.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: Like I said, you can think that if you want. I'm done here.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slayz said:

@dernman: Like I said, you can think that if you want. I'm done here.

Cool

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb7f2e29af78
deactivated-5bb7f2e29af78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course. As some have said, some stories or plots couldn't even work otherwise and some writers are aware of that. If some characters operated at their normal potential, there will be close to no way to hurt them. That is why some hero's weaknesses were introduced in the first place.

I don't understand people who argue otherwise, maybe as a result of extreme fanboysim. It doesn't matter if the writers make normal humans kick an invulnerable character and make them bleed or k/o them every other issue, it is still stupidity to advance the plot.