#1 Posted by CODYSF (2053 posts) - - Show Bio

I notice more older people read more DC comics but I see the younger people read a lot of Marvel comics.what do you see more in your opinion.

#2 Posted by Deadcool (6813 posts) - - Show Bio

... I don't think so...

#3 Posted by CODYSF (2053 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deadcool:

Must be where I live in Boston then but thanks for the response

#4 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

I know that I personally prefer DC over Marvel, but I don't know about everyone else.

#5 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure about that.

#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33899 posts) - - Show Bio
@CODYSF: Yea I'm pretty sure your right, newer readers usually start off with Marvel before moving over to DC
#7 Posted by Deadcool (6813 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

Yea I'm pretty sure your right, newer readers usually start off with Marvel before moving over to DC

There are readers that start with DC, and then move to Marvel or any other company.

A good comicbook reader read comics independently of its origin, Marvel or DC, Dark Horse or Image.

#8 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33899 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deadcool said:

@spiderbat87 said:

Yea I'm pretty sure your right, newer readers usually start off with Marvel before moving over to DC

There are readers that start with DC, and then move to Marvel or any other company.

A good comicbook reader read comics independently of its origin, Marvel or DC, Dark Horse or Image.

I'm sure there are
#9 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't think so............... I'm thirteen and read more DC

#10 Posted by noj (1088 posts) - - Show Bio

What do you consider older exactly? Im 20 and I read prefer DC to Marvel.

#11 Edited by CODYSF (2053 posts) - - Show Bio

@noj:

Well I'm 25 but I see people like around 30 and older mostly read DC comics where I live

#12 Posted by Sling Shot (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the older crowd appreciate the themes that have historically emerged in DC...complex and obscure as they may be. Also the Iconic nature of there main characters probably hold a special spot in their nostalgic minds.

I am a huge fan of both companies but gravitated toward Marvel in my adolescence...all things X....i have moved on since then but the established relationship still carries weight.

And Im 32

#13 Posted by PowerHerc (85058 posts) - - Show Bio

What constitutes an "older reader" is a matter of interpretation and, though I like both Marvel and DC immensely, I ,at 42 years old, an older reader by many standards and interpretations, prefer Marvel.

#14 Posted by CapFanboy (5332 posts) - - Show Bio

@noj said:

I think they mean teens (like 14-) read more Marvel than DC.

#15 Posted by CODYSF (2053 posts) - - Show Bio

@CapFanboy said:

@noj said:

I think they mean teens (like 14-) read more Marvel than DC.

Yeah that too

#16 Posted by Sonata (6266 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm 27 and its about 60/40 in reading Marvel comics to DC. It was a wider gap to me a few years ago.

#17 Posted by sinestro_GL (3248 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think it really matter, does it? Perhaps this question would be significant in the 1960s...but both have now been around for a long time.

#18 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's the other way around.

#19 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think this is true anymore, but it once was. DC heroes were establishment heroes that looked out for the little guy. Then as the industry got older that went out of style and Marvel was quicker to jump on making flawed, outsider heroes (Doom Patrol vs. X-Men debate aside). The anti-establishment nature of many of their heroes (e.g., Hulk) made them very popular with the younger population while older fans fondly remembered their childhood heroes.

But then the industry matured across the board and really there hasn't been this kind of distinction for a long, long time. At least not since the New Teen Titans craze.

#20 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7714 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

I don't think this is true anymore, but it once was. DC heroes were establishment heroes that looked out for the little guy. Then as the industry got older that went out of style and Marvel was quicker to jump on making flawed, outsider heroes (Doom Patrol vs. X-Men debate aside). The anti-establishment nature of man of their heroes (e.g., Hulk) made them very popular with the younger population while older fans fondly remembered their childhood heroes.

But then the industry matured across the board and really there hasn't been this kind of distinction for a long, long time. At least not since the New Teen Titans craze.

#21 Posted by Zomboid (740 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm 18 and I prefer DC over Marvel. I actually do know what you mean though. I don't know if my age is considered young, but most people that I've encountered in my age group prefer or are more acquainted with Marvel.

I think a big factor is Hollywood movies. Marvel's are generally more successful and more appealing, and most kids at my age that get into comics, get into comics because of a movie they really liked.

#22 Posted by TheWitchingHour (1340 posts) - - Show Bio

To tell the truth I don't think there are too many die hard loyalists to either company these days. There's been so much cross fertilization within the industry that it's almost a moot point to prefer one publisher to another. That being said, I'd say D.C. is currently more popular due to the New 52 and the new fanbase that comes with it. As for younger readers I think they tend to follow whichever character had the most recent movie premiere. Hollywood has gained a tremendous amount of leverage on the industry since Spider-Man and the X-men franchises came out.

#23 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7714 posts) - - Show Bio

Because DC generally outdoes Marvel in icon status, TV Series, storylines, etc.

#24 Posted by ComicMan24 (147093 posts) - - Show Bio

Older people? Now you've done it mister. You will be hearing from my attorney soon. Good day :p

#25 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33899 posts) - - Show Bio

@ComicMan24 said:

Older people? Now you've done it mister. You will be hearing from my attorney soon. Good day :p

Comic book reader of a certain age? lol

#26 Posted by ComicMan24 (147093 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@ComicMan24 said:

Comic book reader of a certain age? lol

Only 23 but still lol

#27 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33899 posts) - - Show Bio

Ah your a year younger than me lol

#28 Posted by remogunz (15 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm pretty sure those numbers are closer to 50/50 in every city

#29 Posted by GhettoBond (7 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm young in the grand scheme of things: 27. I recently started reading comics back in November 2011, starting with Batman #1 (New 52). The entire New 52 relaunch was such a good jumping on point for me that I ended up buying several books, and now I'm heavily invested in the DC Universe. Is the relaunch was a Marvel thing, I probably would have ended up invested more into Marvel. My diving into comics was truly based on what seemed easier to jump into at the time. I think for many people, it's just a matter of jumping in points. I just purchased my first Marvel comic in April, it being AvX 0 and 1. I figure this will be a half decent jumping in point into the Marvel universe. At this point however, it's the only Marvel comic I read. If I find more opportunities to purchase new Marvel books, I sure will.

#30 Posted by Owie (3800 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm an old fogey and I mostly read Marvel, although I dabble in DC.

#31 Posted by Owie (3800 posts) - - Show Bio

@GhettoBond said:

I'm young in the grand scheme of things: 27. I recently started reading comics back in November 2011, starting with Batman #1 (New 52). The entire New 52 relaunch was such a good jumping on point for me that I ended up buying several books, and now I'm heavily invested in the DC Universe. Is the relaunch was a Marvel thing, I probably would have ended up invested more into Marvel. My diving into comics was truly based on what seemed easier to jump into at the time. I think for many people, it's just a matter of jumping in points. I just purchased my first Marvel comic in April, it being AvX 0 and 1. I figure this will be a half decent jumping in point into the Marvel universe. At this point however, it's the only Marvel comic I read. If I find more opportunities to purchase new Marvel books, I sure will.

And welcome to the Vine, and to comics! I think you're right that AvX will be a good Marvel jumping on point. As much as we all grumble about big events, they do often provide a good entry to the characters and basic world of their comics universe. I actually first got started by reading Secret Wars II back in the day, and it really get me interested in who all these people are, and what their stories are. Some events are better than others, but I'm feeling optimistic about AvX.

#32 Posted by Tunsieon (316 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm still in high school but I almost only read DC.

#33 Posted by sinestro_GL (3248 posts) - - Show Bio

I know a load of people who will say they like one more than the other, but haven't read books from both.

#34 Posted by Strider92 (16729 posts) - - Show Bio

I think DC is generally darker than Marvel which is the appeal to older ordinances. Marvel is lighter, there's less things involving the slightly more disturbing aspects of crime. To be honest after reading a few DC comics I can say they are very well written and the stories are generally very interesting. The problem I have with it, is a complete lack of interest in their characters. I tried reading a few Batman issues but just couldn't get on-board with it.

I prefer Marvel's characters but I prefer Dc's writing so a combination of the two would be awesome. Thats probably the reason i'm enjoying Yost's Scarlet Spider run at the moment as it seems darker than most Marvel titles.

#35 Posted by Lukassrod (32 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that because of the many movies that marvel release every time and their games they do attract younger people at first, and older people remenber DC more because it was more popular in their time. Or maybe it´s all in my head...

#36 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7714 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

I think DC is generally darker than Marvel which is the appeal to older ordinances. Marvel is lighter, there's less things involving the slightly more disturbing aspects of crime. To be honest after reading a few DC comics I can say they are very well written and the stories are generally very interesting. The problem I have with it, is a complete lack of interest in their characters. I tried reading a few Batman issues but just couldn't get on-board with it.

I prefer Marvel's characters but I prefer Dc's writing so a combination of the two would be awesome. Thats probably the reason i'm enjoying Yost's Scarlet Spider run at the moment as it seems darker than most Marvel titles.

In recent years I don't think DC has been darker than Marvel

Both have become kiddy