#1 Edited by Wattup (646 posts) - - Show Bio

Please don't crucify me for typing this post but I read a lot of comics and it seems that nothing is very interesting right now. On the Marvel side, X-Men, Avengers, Spidey and Wolverine (among other comics) with their various events are pretty dull right now and DC, which is my preference, has been rather ho-hum with the New 52 (although Scott Snyder's recently-concluded Detective run blew me away). Even my indie faves like Fables, Walking Dead, Invincible, Sweet Tooth and Chew have felt like they've been spinning their wheels a bit. I still enjoy Scalped, though.

Am I bonkers for thinking this way? It's getting tiresome reading my All-Star Superman trade over and over when I need a good comic to read. 8 )

#2 Posted by Trodorne (2498 posts) - - Show Bio

I can agree with you on marvel. but in terms of invinicble. no. It just depends on what you want to see for comics. like what is it you are looking for?

#3 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree somewhat but it really depends on what you are a fan of. What's your favorite type of character?

#4 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

I completely agree with you on Marvel's behalf. The only things worth reading are the Cap titles, X-Force, Daredevil, and the occasional Amazing Spider-Man. Some of DC's new 52 has been surprisingly good (Wonder Woman, Men of War, and Batwing to name a few), but some of them were, as you put it, ho-hum (Action Comics, JLA, and Suicide Squad). I'll still be picking them up, but I'm actually considering dropping Marvel altogether (with the exception of Daredevil).

#5 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4211 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree about Marvel except for a handful of titles particularly Daredevil and Uncanny X-force. Even Fables, yes, my golden cow of comics seems like it is letting off the gas. Like Glitch_Spawn said though it depends on what your a fan of reading.

#6 Posted by Timandm (3316 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been reading comic books a VERY long time... Like most everything in life, the quality of comic books goes through cycles... So, no, it's not you. Things are sort of at a low right now...

#7 Posted by JediXMan (31284 posts) - - Show Bio

I kinda like DC right now, for the most part. But yeah, Marvel is rather boring right now. It needs a good reboot. Dark Horse's Star Wars comics aren't as good as before, but Dark Times is still good.

#8 Posted by Hector (446 posts) - - Show Bio

I say that could be somewhat true for Marvel Comics but as for DC, no way. The New 52 has brought new life into DC comics.

#9 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel is at its historical worst now. DC is drifting, and I don't read enough DH/Image to offer an opinion. 

#10 Posted by Manchine (4185 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes you are bonkers. =) I am enjoying the comics I get.

#11 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

are you reading Hellblazer? if not, there's your problem

#12 Posted by Daveyo520 (2447 posts) - - Show Bio

I did stop reading Marvel stuff, but over all no comics are ok.

#13 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

Amazing Spider-man and it's related books (Spider-girl's tie-in to Spider-Island, Carnage's mini-series, Venom, Punisher) have all been great reads for me, and Uncanny X-force is fantastic as well. Daredevil, Ghost Rider, Iron Man, and the latest issue of Fear Itself (that event had a lot of faults, but I feel that issue saves it - hopefully the finale redeems it moreso) have also been great. IMO anyway.

#14 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

Amazing Spider-man and it's related books (Spider-girl's tie-in to Spider-Island, Carnage's mini-series, Venom, Punisher) have all been great reads for me, and Uncanny X-force is fantastic as well. Daredevil, Ghost Rider, Iron Man, and the latest issue of Fear Itself (that event had a lot of faults, but I feel that issue saves it - hopefully the finale redeems it moreso) have also been great. IMO anyway.

I also forgot to mention the DCnU(there's only been a few I haven't enjoyed) and Image as well. But yeah.

#15 Posted by Wattup (646 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for the replies, ya'll. I dunno...I just feel a certain malaise towards comics now. I feel more excited for comic book films and TV projects than I do actual comics and it's kinda sad.

#16 Edited by venomoushatred1001 (12273 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-man and his related books (Carnage's mini-series, Venom, Punisher) are AWESOME. Uncanny X-Men and DCnU aren't bad either, but yeah, the other comics seem to be getting worse and worse. Thor especially. Congratz Matt Fraction, I now hate you.
#17 Posted by Billy Batson (58313 posts) - - Show Bio

What are you looking for in a comic book?
BB

#18 Posted by higher_evolutionary (2014 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
Marvel is at its historical worst now. DC is drifting, and I don't read enough DH/Image to offer an opinion. 
QFT
marvel should start using their brains and fire bendis and fraction
#19 Posted by Wattup (646 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

BB

Honestly, I'm just looking for creative story-telling that makes me CRAVE for the next issue of a comic book. The last time this happened was Morrison's Batman and Robin run. But for the past year or so, I haven't really been that captivated by anything.

#20 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34979 posts) - - Show Bio
@Wattup: Why dont you try something new, branch out and start reading things you haven't looked at before  
@InnerVenom123 said:

I just read Carnage and it totally got me in the mood for symbiots so I went and got Toxin as well :)
#21 Posted by Loki9876 (3039 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't agree there are plenty enough good comics to read.

#22 Posted by Billy Batson (58313 posts) - - Show Bio

@Wattup said:

@Billy Batson said:

BB

Honestly, I'm just looking for creative story-telling that makes me CRAVE for the next issue of a comic book. The last time this happened was Morrison's Batman and Robin run. But for the past year or so, I haven't really been that captivated by anything.

Have you read DMZ or 100 bullets?
BB

#23 Posted by danhimself (22713 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

I also forgot to mention the DCnU(there's only been a few I haven't enjoyed) and Image as well. But yeah.

I agree with this 100% Amazing Spider-man has been pretty dang consistently good ever since Dan Slott became the sole writer...it's by far my favorite Marvel title right now

also I can't see how the OP thinks that The Walking Dead and Invincible are "spinning their wheels" when I haven't notice even a bit of a drop in quality...there as good as they've ever been to me...but I'm a huge Robert Kirkman fanboy so I may be biased

#24 Posted by Wattup (646 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

@Wattup said:

@Billy Batson said:

BB

BB

Yup, I've read both. 100 Bullets is one of my favourite series ever but it did end a couple of years ago. I lost track of DMZ a bit. Maybe I should get back into it.

#25 Posted by Billy Batson (58313 posts) - - Show Bio

@Wattup said:

@Billy Batson said:

@Wattup said:

@Billy Batson said:

BB

BB

Yup, I've read both. 100 Bullets is one of my favourite series ever but it did end a couple of years ago. I lost track of DMZ a bit. Maybe I should get back into it.

So, you're looking for a new series?
BB

#26 Posted by uniform (33 posts) - - Show Bio

I constantly encounter similar threads to this one on two other hobby message boards. Some claim video games are currently at an all time low, with the FPS/TPS being the first to blame. I hop on over to read film discussion and discover people claiming film is currently in a really bad place, with the quality of this year's blockbusters being the culprit. When I become really jaded by a particular hobby, I find the best course of action is to either take a break from that hobby or do some digging for something that you might not have given a chance, as your time was spent on the subjects making you jaded. I'm not going to recommend you anything, as I'm a content mainstream comics reader. You'll often get some good suggestions in threads like these.

Best of luck.

#27 Posted by Wattup (646 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

@Wattup said:

@Billy Batson said:

@Wattup said:

@Billy Batson said:

BB

BB

BB

More like a reason to keep on buying comics. 8 )

#28 Posted by Billy Batson (58313 posts) - - Show Bio

@Wattup said:

@Billy Batson said:

@Wattup said:

@Billy Batson said:

@Wattup said:

@Billy Batson said:

BB

BB

BB

Have you tried Ex Machina or Y:the last man?
BB

#29 Posted by The Devil Tiger (1263 posts) - - Show Bio
@higher_evolutionary
@higher_evolutionary said:
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
QFT marvel should start using their brains and fire bendis and fraction

So, so much truth !
#30 Posted by Wattup (646 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

@Wattup said:

@Billy Batson said:

@Wattup said:

@Billy Batson said:

@Wattup said:

@Billy Batson said:

BB

BB

BB

Have you tried Ex Machina or Y:the last man?
BB

Yup, I've read both.

I think it may be wise to do what one poster mentioned on this: take a break from comics for awhile or at least scale back a bit.

#31 Posted by Owie (3950 posts) - - Show Bio

I felt that way about 6 months or a year ago, but actually I have just been noticing that I've been getting way more comics per week right now than normal. Part of that is trying out the new DCs, a couple of which I liked (Wonder Woman, Batman, Jonah Hex). But on the Marvel side, I really like Daredevil, the Children's Crusade, Journey into Mystery, Amazing Spider-Man, and the new Ultimate Spider-Man. Even New Mutants has been kind of interesting. So for me, that's a pretty good number of comics that I actually actively like. Normally it's more like 2 or 3 ongoings and a mini or two at any one time.

#32 Posted by RoadDoggBigPauly (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it me or does the entire Marvel Ultimate line suck? I bought all the DOSM issues just because they killed him.

But I'm diggin' Fear Itself, although the amount of tie-ins is insane.

The whole Spidey/Venom/Carnage side of things is pretty good now. The Wells/Crain combo on the recent Carnage is awesome. Waiting for Carnage USA for sure.

And I'm willing to see Suicide Squad out, I dunno, Harley just gets me.....

#33 Posted by Enzeru--defunct (2893 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87 said:
I just read Carnage and it totally got me in the mood for symbiots so I went and got Toxin as well :)
Be sure to check out "Haunt" aswell, if you're into the symbiote-stuff.
I'm enjoying Haunt more then most of the other symbiote stories from Marvel. Haunt is also written by Todd MacFarlane who created Venom, so you can be sure that you will get what you like, if you're into Venom. 

So yeah, Haunt is currently a book, where I'm really waiting for the new issues.
The same goes for Irredeemable, even though it got weaker during the last issues.
Invincible is also a good read.
I can always recommend Absolution, even though it's a little bit older - it's still one of the greatest comics out there.
Sentry - Volume 1 aswell. 

The comics had some crappy storylines in the past, yeah ... but I have the slightly feeling like it's getting better again. The new DC 52 stuff could be interesting in the future. I'm mostly interested in Nightwing, Red Hood and the Outlaw (even though the new Starfire is pure garbage) and uhm ... Grifter, even though his first issue was bad, but I'll stay on it for sure. Same goes for Justice League and probably Stormwatch, just to see how Apollo will turn out. 
Action Comics and Superman could also turn out quite interesting, because Superman doesn't seem to be a boyscout anymore and that's a good thing.
#34 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (1162 posts) - - Show Bio

I can definitely agree on Marvel right now. I love the Marvel Characters but I can honestly say I have no interest in picking up one of their books right now. Daredevil is a good series right now for them but the rest seem to be a little same old, same old. Hellblazer though from Vertigo is probably one of the best ongoing series out there right now. The Rocketeer from IDW is also pretty good right now, only read the first issue but quite a few people have said the others are pretty good as well. DC I can say Is doing a good job right now with there comics. Sure there have been some duds *coughs..Green Arrow..coughs in the Relaunch but overall, it's a pretty sold relaunch.

#35 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34979 posts) - - Show Bio
@Enzeru said:
@spiderbat87 said:
Be sure to check out "Haunt" aswell, if you're into the symbiote-stuff.
I'm enjoying Haunt more then most of the other symbiote stories from Marvel. Haunt is also written by Todd MacFarlane who created Venom, so you can be sure that you will get what you like, if you're into Venom. 

So yeah, Haunt is currently a book, where I'm really waiting for the new issues.
The same goes for Irredeemable, even though it got weaker during the last issues.
Invincible is also a good read.
I can always recommend Absolution, even though it's a little bit older - it's still one of the greatest comics out there.
Sentry - Volume 1 aswell. 

The comics had some crappy storylines in the past, yeah ... but I have the slightly feeling like it's getting better again. The new DC 52 stuff could be interesting in the future. I'm mostly interested in Nightwing, Red Hood and the Outlaw (even though the new Starfire is pure garbage) and uhm ... Grifter, even though his first issue was bad, but I'll stay on it for sure. Same goes for Justice League and probably Stormwatch, just to see how Apollo will turn out. 
Action Comics and Superman could also turn out quite interesting, because Superman doesn't seem to be a boyscout anymore and that's a good thing.
Yea I already read Haunt. I read almost every thing from Image
#36 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7961 posts) - - Show Bio

The event mentality is not doing comics any good at all.

#37 Posted by turoksonofstone (12901 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics never suck.

#38 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6028 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree about Marvel's X-Men since that's the only comics I'm reading so far, but I'm not sure about DC comics since I'm more of a Marvel fan.
#39 Posted by Samurai Condoms (152 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics sucked 2 years ago.(Marvel anyway) It's alot better now.

#40 Posted by StarKiller809 (1213 posts) - - Show Bio

I would agree on Marvel but that's because I don't like them at all. I love DC Comics and I think that they don't suck. I liked a lot of what I read from the next 52 and they have increased my pull list from a few to in the 20's

#41 Posted by daak1212 (7866 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, they do suck right now.

Daredevil, Cap, Deamon Knights, X-23, Uncanny Xforce and like Mighty Thor are the only things I go ape shit over these days. Frankly I just don't care enough about the stories. The new 52 sounds awesome but the thing is because where just starting I feel like kinda bored with it. I know that sounds moronic but I kinda like my stories to already be established not just starting out. Okay a good simile would be I like flying in a plane not when it's trying to take off in the runway. :)

#42 Posted by daak1212 (7866 posts) - - Show Bio

Just realized I still need to get a shit load of trades.

I need like 3 or 2 more trades of Sandman

2 more trades of Immortal Iron Fist

Im about to get vol 3 and 5 of Astonishing X men

Phoenix Saga

Bendis's Daredevil and more

#43 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7832 posts) - - Show Bio

I do agreee, they're at an all time low right now.