Is It Just Me, Or are Female Superheroines Overpowered?

• 75 results
lorbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lorbo

At least compared to the guys in Marvel. For every tough Thor character there are dozens of lower powered females that may not be as durable but have offensive powers powerful enough to give him problems. If Thor or Hulk were to take on just about any group of 8 superpowered ladies in the Marvel Uni they would be done for.

Examples:

Emma Frost

Miss Marvel

Polaris

Moonstone

Storm

Wanda (crazy wanda)

Magik

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Havenless

Storm is extraordinarily overpowered, and Stan Lee went on record as saying that's the one character he regrets making because of it.

" If Thor or Hulk were to take on just about any group of 8 superpowered ladies in the Marvel Uni they would be done for." So Marvel female heroes have to be less than 1/8 of what Marvel male heroes are?

lorbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By lorbo

@Havenless said:

Storm is extraordinarily overpowered, and Stan Lee went on record as saying that's the one character he regrets making because of it.

" If Thor or Hulk were to take on just about any group of 8 superpowered ladies in the Marvel Uni they would be done for." So Marvel female heroes have to be less than 1/8 of what Marvel male heroes are?

Trolling eh? Females lack in the durability department but offensively they kick just about every guys butt. If they just rely on ranged attacks they can win just about every battle. Don't even get me started with the telepathy.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

What do you mean by overpowered?

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Havenless

@lorbo said:

@Havenless said:

Trolling eh? Females lack in the durability department but offensively they kick just about every guys butt. If they just rely on ranged attacks they can win just about every battle. Don't even get me started with the telepathy.

What are you talking about? You're pitting 8 against 1. Of course they're going to win.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

#6  Edited By akbogert

@lorbo: I'm confused...if one guy were to take on any eight females, he'd lose, and that makes the women overpowered?

Because that is what you said.

Regardless, I think it's just you.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Nope

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Havenless

I'm flagging this, it seems that you're only trying to promote sexism.

lorbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lorbo

@Havenless said:

You can't call it what you want, flag it what you want. I know what I meant better than you do. Your just trolling.

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

Superman can usually beat tons of foes all at once, not so with Marvel ladies.

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Havenless

@lorbo said:

@Havenless said:

You can't call it what you want, flag it what you want. I know what I meant better than you do. Your just trolling.

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

So women should not be as good as men? Not even 8 women should be as good as 1 man? That is what you keep repeating.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@lorbo said:

@Havenless said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

Are you saying he couldn't beat tons of Marvel ladies all at once?

What's your point? Superman is DC.

lorbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lorbo

@Havenless said:

@lorbo said:

@Havenless said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

So women should not be as good as men? Not even 8 women should be as good as 1 man? That is what you keep repeating.

I am not engaging you here. I know what I meant. When you have telepathy and so forth, who can really stop you? Supes just so happens to be a guy and is nigh omnipotent. Call it sexist all you want, I know what I meant. And it sure is not what your implying.

With characters such as Thor and Supes, who are pretty much gods in their respective universes, you can only beat them with teams if your not using special stuff.

lorbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lorbo

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@lorbo said:

@Havenless said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

Yes that is what I am saying. With battle threads in mind, Marvel ladies would stomp most if not all DC males, mainly because they have tons of telepaths. And Emma happens to be a hard to kill telepath.

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By RedQueen

@Fuchsia_Nightingale said:

Nope

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Havenless

@lorbo said:

@Havenless said:

@lorbo said:

@Havenless said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

I am not engaging you here. I know what I meant. When you have telepathy and so forth, who can really stop you? Supes just so happens to be a guy and is nigh omnipotent. Call it sexist all you want, I know what I meant. And it sure is not what your implying.

With characters such as Thor and Supes, who are pretty much gods in their respective universes, you can only beat them with teams if your not using special stuff.

So why are you singling out women? Professor X, The Shadow King, and Mastermind have amazing telepathic feats. Why is it only women who are overpowered, but men are fine?

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Havenless

@lorbo said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@lorbo said:

@Havenless said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

Yes that is what I am saying. With battle threads in mind, Marvel ladies would stomp most if not all DC males, mainly because they have tons of telepaths. And Emma happens to be a hard to kill telepath.

When you bunch of 8 against 1 they would beat a lot of strong Earth-based heroes. That doesn't make them overpowered, you're hugely stacking the fight in their favor.

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DarkxSeraph

So... requiring 8 vs. 1 person means the 8 are overpowered.

Overpowered. You keep using this word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By TDK_1997

Not at all.

lorbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lorbo

@Havenless said:

@lorbo said:

@Havenless said:

@lorbo said:

@Havenless said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

So why are you singling out women? Professor X, The Shadow King, and Mastermind have amazing telepathic feats. Why is it only women who are overpowered, but men are fine?

I know of Xavier, that's it. I don't know many guy telepaths. Even so the women outrank them in numbers of telepaths.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@lorbo said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@lorbo said:

@Havenless said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

Maybe Marvel characters are just generally more powerful?

Has it ever been shown in a crossover comic that Marvel women are more powerful than DC men? If not, there's no reason to assume that this is the case.

lorbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lorbo

They have no telepathic resistance that I know of, they would be doomed real fast. Wanda alone could solo if she kept back a good range.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By InnerVenom123

No.

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DarkxSeraph

Marvel Male telepaths of ridiculous power:

Professor Xavier

Exodus

The Shadow King

Pre-Burn-Out Nate Grey

Mister Sinister (to a lessor degree)

Cable (again, power suppression)

Quinten Quire

And those are the ones that come to the top of my head.

The OP still doesn't make sense though... how is requiring 8 people to take 1 person making the 8 overpowered?

lorbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By lorbo

@InnerVenom123 said:

No.

Like I said earlier, what marvel ladies lack in bricklike durability they make of for with offensive capabilities. I dare say females have a far greater offensive edge when they team up opposed to most all male teams.

Guys often tend to be brick like durability characters who can tank a lot of hits. But if your getting pounded from a distance with ranged attacks constantly, you will fall.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

As far as I'm concerned, there's no such thing as overpowered provided its accompanied by good writing.

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Havenless

@lorbo said:

@Havenless said:

@lorbo said:

@Havenless said:

@lorbo said:

@Havenless said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

I know of Xavier, that's it. I don't know many guy telepaths. Even so the women outrank them in numbers of telepaths.

If you don't know who The Shadow King and Mastermind are, you don't know enough about Marvel comics to make a judgement such as this. Azazel, Blackheart, The Living Monolith, Franklin Richards, Cable, X-Man, Collective Man, Chamber, Longshot, Mentallo, Exodus, Gateway, Genesis, Arnim Zola, Stryfe, Proteus, Krakoa, Legion, Leader, Maggott, and many many other Men in the Marvel universe are able to call upon some level of psychic and telepathic abilities.

So no, Marvel women aren't overpowered.

lorbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By lorbo

Woman have far better ranged attacks. I only consider that OP in that a gun from a distance is FAR better than a sword at attacking someone.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#28  Edited By BumpyBoo  Moderator

@guttridgeb said:

As far as I'm concerned, there's no such thing as overpowered provided its accompanied by good writing.

Definitely this :)

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Havenless

@lorbo said:

Woman have far better ranged attacks. I only consider that OP in that a gun from a distance is FAR better than a sword at attacking someone.

That's only the case when you pit them against melee-oriented men. The most powerful ranged attackers in Marvel are still men.

lorbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By lorbo

@BumpyBoo said:

@guttridgeb said:

Definitely this :)

I'm with you there. But if the heroes were written working and fighting at their maximum, giving it their all, I really think the pure ranged offensive power of the ladies is superior in marvel. The guys use their fists, the ladies use powerful energy blasts. Get a team of them together and they would stomp pretty much any single character who is a superhero. Not even Supes or Thor, who may as well be Marvels Supes could survive.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By cattlebattle
@Havenless said:

How would Stan Lee regret making Strom??
lorbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By lorbo

@Havenless said:

@lorbo said:

That's only the case when you pit them against melee-oriented men. The most powerful ranged attackers in Marvel are still men.

Just saying they may be, but female energy blasters outnumber men by FAR in Marvel.

I suppose because writers aren't too keen on showing women beaten to a pulp nearly as much as they are men. So they show energy blast battles. That's my theory...anyway.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By Bruxae

Good question.. I got another one, why cant Wonder Woman beat this team?

• Superman
  • Martian Manhunter
  • Shazam
  • Green Lantern
  • Flash
  • Black Adam
  • Batman
  • Aquaman

I swear, DC men are so overpowered.. She cant even beat 8 of them at once.

CBninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CBninja

The most powerful characters in both respective universes (DC & Marvel) are men. That's how it is in real life and it is reflected in comics. You pitting 8 women against one man doesn't prove anything except that a team of lesser powered individuals can take one stronger opponent, and we know that already. I'm not sure what you are trying to prove but in my opinion your just stiring the pot for arguing.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#35  Edited By BumpyBoo  Moderator

I'm just gonna leave this here....

**backs away slowly**

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Havenless

@CBninja said:

The most powerful characters in both respective universes (DC & Marvel) are men. That's how it is in real life and it is reflected in comics. You pitting 8 women against one man doesn't prove anything except that a team of lesser powered individuals can take one stronger opponent, and we know that already. I'm not sure what you are trying to prove but in my opinion your just stiring the pot for arguing.

With the exception of the likes of Pheonix and Wonder Woman, I do agree with you. But that does reflect real life, male cops/fireman/marines/MMA fighters/Marksman/comicbook readers greatly outnumber women. It's not really a stereotype, it's a factual aspect of society.

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Havenless

@lorbo said:

@Havenless said:

@lorbo said:

Just saying they may be, but female energy blasters outnumber men by FAR in Marvel.

I suppose because writers aren't too keen on showing women beaten to a pulp nearly as much as they are men. So they show energy blast battles. That's my theory...anyway.

Percentage-wise relative to their gender maybe, but definitely not total numbers. Just because you've never heard of certain characters doesn't mean you can go around saying they don't exist.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38  Edited By InnerVenom123

@cattlebattle said:

@Havenless said:

http://www.comicvine.com/storm/29-1444/forums/

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DarkxSeraph

Uhm... you're forgetting some severe Ranged Powerhouse Males here... either your knowledge of the Marvel Universe is sorely lacking, or you're purposely making a trolling attempt, here, ignoring the reality of the situation.

Emma Frost - Can be bested by Charles Xavier, Nate Grey, etc.

Miss Marvel - Bested by Sentry. Hard.

Polaris - Magneto. Next?

Moonstone - Nova (Richard Rider). Pwned.

Storm - Thor. Dr. Strange. etc, etc.

Wanda (crazy wanda) - Franklin Richards. Next?

Magik - Dr. Strange, Dr. VooDoo, Ghost Rider

This list was pretty easy. You picked a lot of A listers, for certain, but you are forgetting a LOT of male powerhouses in the Marvel U. Some of those ranged powerhouses in general?

Gabriel Summers (Vulcan), Alexander Summers (Havok),Scott Summers (Cyclops), Charles Xavier, Nate Grey, Quinten Quire (Kid Omega), Julian Keller: Hellion (One of the most powerful Telekinetics on the planet--molecular level control exhibited), Richard Rider (Nova), Dr. Strange, Dr. VooDoo, Ice Man, Human Torch, Mr. Sinister, Chamber, and the list just goes on and on regarding massively powerful males.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#40  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@cattlebattle said:

@Havenless said:

What CB said. Stan Lee didnt make her so why would he say that?

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Havenless

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@cattlebattle said:

@Havenless said:

What CB said. Stan Lee didnt make her so why would he say that?

Sorry, *allow her to be included in the X-Men. He wasn't editor at that moment, but it was still his baby. I'm trying to look up the exact quote, I'll give it to you when I find it.

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42  Edited By charlieboy

If any thing the men are usually the overpowered ones.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jorgevy

I think what the OP meant was this

pick any 8 females in Marvel and pit them against Thor or superman and they win

Pick any 8 males in marvel and do the same and they don't always win.

though I still disagree, there's plenty of street level heroines, so you could easily pick more than 8 of those, and they would get trounced by thor or supes

lorbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By lorbo

@Jorgevy said:

though I still disagree, there's plenty of street level heroines, so you could easily pick more than 8 of those, and they would get trounced by thor or supes

Right on bro.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By deaditegonzo

Its not a crime to misspeak, we all do it. It IS a crime to misspeak, and then stick to your guns when somebody asks you to clarify or challenges your inferred meaning. Its your own fault if somebody has to dig out the Rosetta Stone to find the meaning in your post.

Anyway, in Marvel specifically, likely due to their concerted effort to be politically correct all the time, the female characters are generally shown to fair extremely well, or come out victorious, even when the odds are stacked against them. I could imagine Marvel pitting say, Thor v Storm, and having Storm wreck his day. Or Ms. Marvel single-handedly putting down the Hulk, even though he is traditionally shown to be her superior. I think the biggest issue is having them do well or win fights purely as fan service or to show mock diversity. There isnt really anything wrong with making an uber powered character of any gender, and then having them perform as expected (say Phoenix/Jean Grey v pretty much any one). As someone else profoundly stated, "There is no such thing as Overpowered as long as it is accompanied by good writing" (paraphrased).

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DarkxSeraph
pick any 8 females in Marvel and pit them against Thor or superman and they win Pick any 8 males in marvel and do the same and they don't always win.

This is STILL a fallacy, however. Even the 8 he picked could be trounced by Marvel Males.
Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jorgevy

@lorbo said:

@Jorgevy said:

Right on bro.

knew it. people really need to read stuff more carefully and pay more attention before insulting people. I still disagree with that conclusion, but I understand what you meant

@DarkxSeraph said:

pick any 8 females in Marvel and pit them against Thor or superman and they win Pick any 8 males in marvel and do the same and they don't always win. This is STILL a fallacy, however. Even the 8 he picked could be trounced by Marvel Males.

how come? this is not a fallacy that i know off. is just an untrue statement, since we could pick 8 street level super heroines and they would lose.

also, please reply to people using the reply button or the quote button or by identifying the user with an @ and then the user's nickname. otherwise it's impossible for us to know you replied

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DarkxSeraph

I mean, let's be honest, here... if he cherry-picked those 8 women to go against Superman or Thor, then let's Cherry Pick 8 men who could do the same--

Charles Xavier, Nate Grey, Namor, Silver Surfer, Chamber, Franklin Richards, Dr. Doom (talk about OP, himself), and round it out with Dr. Strange.

That's one trounced kryptonian.

Male and female characters have counter parts that have power levels that fluxuate based on writers/creative staff. In general, though, making a blanket statement like: "OMG, The female heroes are so Overpowered!" is patently false. If anything, the males are. Maybe they just don't catch the original poster's eye because they don't have breasts... I dunno.

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DarkxSeraph

Jorgevy- I cannot @Reply because the browser I use at work is not compatable with the text editor/interface. I have to actually manually code everything from bolds, italics, to line breaks. So... sorry, friend.

lorbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By lorbo

@DarkxSeraph said:

I mean, let's be honest, here... if he cherry-picked those 8 women to go against Superman or Thor, then let's Cherry Pick 8 men who could do the same--Charles Xavier, Nate Grey, Namor, Silver Surfer, Chamber, Franklin Richards, Dr. Doom (talk about OP, himself), and round it out with Dr. Strange. That's one trounced kryptonian. Male and female characters have counter parts that have power levels that fluxuate based on writers/creative staff. In general, though, making a blanket statement like: "OMG, The female heroes are so Overpowered!" is patently false. If anything, the males are. Maybe they just don't catch the original poster's eye because they don't have breasts... I dunno.

Here is another example but in a battle thread http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles/7/marvel-ladies-run-the-dc-gaunlet/753440/