Is it "cool" among some of the GA to rip on DC properties?

• 105 results
Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is it "cool" among some of the GA to rip on DC properties? (10 votes)

Comicvine should allow regular topics to have longer titles like polls 30%
Like seriously I needed the space and a poll doesn't apply here 70%

It used to be that the GA watched comic book films with no idea who the brand was associated with or who the characters even were. They just took them for what they were; movies.

In recent years, however, with Marvel's huge uprising in film, the GA now for the most part recognizes the Marvel brand and the characters associated with it. Most have likely done some Googling and also know that DC is Marvel's "rival" so to speak. Is it really too far fetched to think that they immediately want to trash anything DC made just for the hell of it? Out of some sense of rivalry?

I know you're going to say I'm wrong or I'm paranoid, but I know for a FACT that some people think this way. I can't prove anything of course, but many of my friends and even a professor at my college trashes anything DC made, when I know that they know nothing about the properties. They just put the MCU on a mantle, and since it's successful, anything DC made is garbage to them. My professor opens up every slide show with some crude image he drew of a Marvel hero trashing a DC hero, like Superman or Batman.

It seems to me it's just cool to hate DC. Look at Cinemasins. Whenever he makes a video on a DC property, one of the "sins" he gives the movie is "DC comics." Like what? How is that applicable? Even if it's a joke, it perpetuates this stigma against DC films.

I just has to vent. It's so frustrating that DC already has this huge fanbase AGAINST it succeeding, for absolutely no reason. And yes, that will hurt the franchise in some areas. Why does this have to be a thing? I honestly didn't start picking on the MCU until people threw irrational hate at DC films that haven't even been released yet.

Ugh. Rant over.

• 
dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is the "GA"?

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC fans have an inferiority complex nowadays and are extra sensitive. The "GA" probably don't care of know enough to differentiate between MCU and DCCU properties. The most critical fans of the DCCU are DC fans.

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slayz: Got it. I feel like its more the comic world than the general audience that feels like its fun to rip on DC. Most non-comic reading people I know love the CWverse and are looking forward to BvS. Everyone I know who reads comics just rips on everything DC does.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Slayz

@wavemotioncannon:

The whole thing where the GA doesn't know the difference between DC and Marvel is a myth.

A 50 year old woman?

Sure.

Just about anybody 30 and under (which is who will mostly see these films)?

Not a chance.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh boo hoo. Lmfao you DC fans whine over everything. Toughen up.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dan12456: I think the issue is people who *think* they're huge fans of these comic characters, when they've only seen a few movies.

And there's nothing wrong with just being a fan of the films. It becomes a problem when they think they're such huge fans that they can judge stuff they know nothing about.

A perfect example is Doomsday's "spoiled" reveal in the trailer. WAY before that trailer, the official synopsis for the film said Batman and Superman would team up to face a "greater threat than the world has ever known". Since we saw Zod's dead body in the first trailer, there's only 2 sensible conclusions;

(1) Bizzaro

(2) Doomsday

We got both. This is what I'n talking about; Nothing was spoiled, they were just uneducated.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Slayz
rickythanos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a DC fan (though, like most comic readers, I read both, and manga, and valiant etc).

I don't get too butthurt about the films by and large, DC offerings have been pretty good, and their animated movies are on par with high-end anime. Marvel animated movies and shows are nowhere near it.

Besides, any time a snarky marvel-only fan gets snarky about "marvel having the best movies" I just kinda drop three words:

The Dark Knight.

Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slayz: Says the kid who puts up a poll about nonsense. Don't be so butthurt and people won't call you out.

WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slayz: like I said the ones that do know that aren't comics nerds like us don't care enough. Comics people aren't the general audience because they have a deeper knowledge of the comics and characters, the average moviegoer may have a preference for certain heroes/movies but they're not invested enough to bash other movies. It sounds like you're reaching IMO

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wavemotioncannon: Then your opinion is wrong, because I specifically gave you examples from my own life of just average joes bashing DC because it's fun to do. Got anything else to add?

@lone_wolf_and_cub: Still trying too hard.

Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slayz: Lmfao. You mad? By the way how can someone's opinion be wrong? It's their opinion genius. What are you 5?

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slayz: so your professor and cinemasins represent the average fan? Really? So you bashed MCU films because you were pissed people crapped on MoS? Ok, not butt hurt at all. Got it.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's so hard to be a DC fan nowadays, like really hard.

Is it though? Why?

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Not really. You're trying to shut down arguments made against the DCEU because of this, which isn't fair.

- TAS

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#19  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Can confirm that none of my friends know the difference between DC and Marvel, even the ones that like the movies.

darthdeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dc legitimately sucks calm down

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't know what GA was at first. I guess we shud just ignore am. We have Pre N52 comics and other knowledge that makes us cooler than the GA is anyways

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wavemotioncannon: ...Why wouldn't they be?

And that's not my only example. I have friends from College and High School with similar attitudes, and you know that you do too.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Slayz

@jonny_anonymous: They think they're one and the same?

Don't be a liar, now.

@TheAmazingSpidey: Maybe you should concentrate and focus on what I'm saying.

Of course there are legitimate arguments and problems with DC. I was talking about people who harp on DC properties for no reason other than it's fun for them to.

Understand?

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

The people most critical of DC that I know of are critical of Marvel too: 'true' comic fans and movie critics.

Movie critics are critical of the CBM genre as a whole, so I usually dismiss them.

'True' comic fans like to sit back with hipster attitudes and bash the general audience saying they aren't 'true' fans because they 'only watch the movies'. Well, who cares? If you only watch the films, only like the films, and are critical of films you don't like, your opinion is as valid as mine even though I've read comics since the 80s. When I was younger I wasn't any more a Batman fan for reading the comics and watching the cartoon than those who just watched the cartoon.

People are overly critical of Marvel and look for reasons to bash it too...in fact there are at least a half dozens threads on this forum made about it every week. In fact in my time on the Vine I've seen MORE Marvel and MCU bashing than DC bashing. Fanboys are fanboys Now that DC is finally getting traction those fanboys have to eat the crow they served to Marvel fanboys. It's simple reciprocation. If you're new to the Vine and you're only seeing one side, well, you're simply arriving at that point in history.

Personally I find fanboys of publishers childish, but that's just me.

Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slayz: I don't think you even know the meaning of trying hard. There is no need to try at all against someone like yourself who clearly couldn't even tell the difference between a fact and an opinion.

WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slayz: no the majority of my friends are either into/used to be into comics or minimally knowledgeable and I certainly wouldn't use them as an example of general audiences.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Can confirm that none of my friends know the difference between DC and Marvel, even the ones that like the movies.

This.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

About all I know for sure is that certain folks on here...Lone-Wolf, probably TAS, maybe Wave Motion and a few others have already decided BvS is no good. Never mind that it hasn't come out yet. Even if it's great and most everyone loves it, they won't. There's probably a small fraction that have already decided it's going to be great, no matter what. Even if it's trash. I know where the OP is coming from, but Marvel isn't immune to bashing, how often do you see positive things said about Thor: TDW, IM 2 or 3? I'd even say AoU get amore negative things said than positive. Difference is, all those films already came out, so the opinions are based on the actual movies and not news articles and 30 second trailers.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

People rip on everything now days. I know I will sound old for saying this, but screw it I am old. Modern fans act like they're allergic to enjoying anything. Any time I see a genuinely fun CBM there are about a thousand fans complaining that it wasn't dark enough, then you see a dark CBM and the same damn people complain that its humorless.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

People rip on everything now days. I know I will sound old for saying this, but screw it I am old. Modern fans act like they're allergic to enjoying anything. Any time I see a genuinely fun CBM there are about a thousand fans complaining that it wasn't dark enough, then you see a dark CBM and the same damn people complain that its humorless.

This. So much this.

Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manwhohaseverything: Pretty bold statement there acting like you know what I like and don't like. Just so you know Batman is my favorite character besides Spider-man and I'll be there for BvS opening night. Just because I don't like Eisenberg or Gadot castings doesn't mean I won't like the movie. The next you type make sure you get your facts straight.

Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slayz: That's funny coming from someone who just crawled out from under their bridge.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lone_wolf_and_cub: Sorry, man. It's my opinion. You yourself said opinions can't be wrong.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@lone_wolf_and_cub: I don't even consider anyone without at least some interest in Batman vs Superman a real comic fan. I personally won't judge until I see the movie, but there was never any question whether or not I was going to see it. Batman and Superman in the same movie is something I've wanted to see in a movie since I started reading Batman and Superman comics, so I've been waiting a long ass time for this to happen.

Avatar image for asgardianxeno929
AsgardianXeno929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AsgardianXeno929

Based on my experience (having a lot of friends and family with no comic knowledge that watch comic book media), it's more that Dc's current only in universe movie was divisive, with a majority of the dislike side being GA who don't care enough about the properties to overlook problems for the sake of the characters and rivals who either just didn't like it or want to hate on it. There's also the fact that there's Arrow (which has gotten a bit worse) and flash in one tv universe, then Gotham in another, then supergirl in yet another. That's 4 universes for people without the knowledge of multiple canonical yet standalone universes as opposed to marvel's 1 universe across multiple series and films. I think that Justice League needs to be great for DC to become "good" in the GA's eyes, and I think if there's anything even slightly non-pc about Wonder Woman's characterization that the film might be torn apart by Internet people who pretend to care beyond wanting to complain about it.

as a fan, I personally am not a fan of DC's current directions besides flash and some of supergirl, but I'll still be watching just in case they can change my mind :)

Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slayz: Are you illiterate? Where did I ever say opinions can't be wrong? All I said was there is a difference between facts and opinions. Reading comprehension for the win.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: Yeah it's a great time to be a comic fan. Civil War, BvS, Doc Strange, Xmen Apocalypse, SS, Deadpool, Star Wars Rogue One( Though not a comic film it's still awesome). What an awesome year 2016 is going to be.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lone_wolf_and_cub:Lmfao. You mad? By the way how can someone's opinion be wrong? It's their opinion genius. What are you 5?

Oops.

Selective memory!

Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slayz: Wtf?! Lmfao. If someone has an opinion they don't like something you like or they don't think like you that makes them wrong? Damn go back to school and learn something that most people with a basic education could figure out. There facts and opinions. How else can I spell it out for you.

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, but it is "kewl" for some of the GA to rip on superheroes in general. Don't know of anyone specifically targeting DC.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: the negativity surrounding it.

well i guess, but i don't really let it get to me...as i like several comic companies. I don't really take anything personal because I had nothing to do with making it.

I like what I like, no one else can ruin that for me unless I let them

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The worst is the YouTube comment section...

I have nightmares just thinking about that

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

DCEU fanboys [not fans] are extremely insecure at the moment. Literally, even someone saying that the they'll see the film but the footage hasn't made them gush uncontrollably are hounded for "hating". There's a reactor I watch on YouTube who had to make a video addressing comments made in his comment section who were hating him because he wasn't jumping for joy because of the Suicide Squad trailer. That's just stupid.

And to be honest, the GA probably don't even know the difference between the two. I have legitimately had this question asked of me. "Hey, Soldierofel, did Batman ask Iron Man to build a suit so he can fight Superman?" Many face palms have been conducted.

Also

Not really. You're trying to shut down arguments made against the DCEU because of this, which isn't fair.

- TAS

This

The people most critical of DC that I know of are critical of Marvel too: 'true' comic fans and movie critics.

Movie critics are critical of the CBM genre as a whole, so I usually dismiss them.

'True' comic fans like to sit back with hipster attitudes and bash the general audience saying they aren't 'true' fans because they 'only watch the movies'. Well, who cares? If you only watch the films, only like the films, and are critical of films you don't like, your opinion is as valid as mine even though I've read comics since the 80s. When I was younger I wasn't any more a Batman fan for reading the comics and watching the cartoon than those who just watched the cartoon.

People are overly critical of Marvel and look for reasons to bash it too...in fact there are at least a half dozens threads on this forum made about it every week. In fact in my time on the Vine I've seen MORE Marvel and MCU bashing than DC bashing. Fanboys are fanboys Now that DC is finally getting traction those fanboys have to eat the crow they served to Marvel fanboys. It's simple reciprocation. If you're new to the Vine and you're only seeing one side, well, you're simply arriving at that point in history.

Personally I find fanboys of publishers childish, but that's just me.

This

This

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soldierofel: So I'm insecure and this irrational hate against the DCEU is all in my head?

That's what you're saying?

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manwhohaseverything: Pretty bold statement there acting like you know what I like and don't like. Just so you know Batman is my favorite character besides Spider-man and I'll be there for BvS opening night. Just because I don't like Eisenberg or Gadot castings doesn't mean I won't like the movie. The next you type make sure you get your facts straight.

Not bold at all. I went back and read a lot of your comments and you've never said anything good about DC in general (or not for awhile anyhow.) Your first post in this thread you said "YOU DC fans..." see, that means you're separating yourself from DC fans. Otherwise you would have said "Us DC fans..." or at least "Comics fans." But no you said "You DC fans." Or maybe the one where you say a good idea for the Aquaman movie would be for him to "get caught in some netting so his seahorse can rescue him." Slayz is right, you're a troll. You love Marvel and hate DC and thats fine, opinions and all. Don't act like it doesn't show though and that you're being impartial.