Is Guardians of the Galaxy going to flop or do well?

Avatar image for iknowthetruthhurts
IKnowTheTruthHurts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

I am looking forward to watching this film. I am happy that Marvel are expanding their universe in live action. IF this does well, who knows what could follow...(maybe a Sliver Surfer film in the near future). I like X-Men/Wolverine and Spider-Man films but there are MANY other characters and/or teams they should be trying to bring to live action.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#2  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I believe it will do well.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Whatever happens it won't flop, even if it doesn't do great. However I think it will be really great and I'm really looking forward to it.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's certainly within the realm of possibility, but by track record of MARVEL Studios previous films it should do well. MARVEL Studios got the general audience/non-weekly comic buying crowd to buy into Thor for cribs sake.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only ever marvel that was conciederd ''Bad'' was Iron-man 3 and it was only ''Bad'' because the long time fans of marvel's comic where not expecting the twist in it. It was however a box office winner and did really well makeing millions. So Guardians of the Galaxy will do great in the box office and with the eception of iron-man 3 GotG will be great.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm thinking it will turn out great. However, at the very least I'm expecting to walk out the cinema like "..that was pretty good".

It'll be very inconsistent if it turns out to be a bad movie.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Silver Surfer won't get a movie by marvel.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has a high rate of success.

Novemberx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it will be success Disney hope it will be.

All things to All People: phase 2 has been very poor so far mainly due a disney/marvel attempting to make do a family friendly, funny, action packed films. both Ironman 3 and thor 2 tried to do all these things and not succeeding at all of them. this results in poor character development and plot holes. While Ironman 3 was as bad as batman & Robin, the audience and critics all over a looked the failures because Robert Downey Jr's charm. Thor 2 didn't have that luxury and was less successful. indeed the director of thor 2 did complain about this aspect.

franchise fatigue: there is also a sense of franchise fatigue beginning to kick in with the super hero genre. I know a lot of people walked out of thor 2 saying "I Just wished they had made an Avengers 2 instead of more ironman and thor films". We are going to have a lot big superhero films this year and GOG Is the last one to come out.

a flawed execution: This is almost certain to happen, Team's don't translate to film because there are often to many characters and contracts demand certain characters get more screen time then others. Avengers avoided this by having the main character history already explained. (see x-men franchise for a great example of the flaws of team film).

The Easter eggs: marvel films have lot of easter eggs, this has encouraged audience to watch them just for the easters eggs which lead up to avengers. I wonder if audiences will look at GOG and think it has little to do with Avengers 2 and thus give it a miss.

Rocket Raccoon: its clear the marvel and most of the comic book fan base are excited about the concept of talking raccoon. However, not all comic book elements transfer over so well to big screen, there is no shortage of wise cracking talking animals films out there (especially those made by Disney) I Wonder if this will actually work against it.

Disney & SCFI: Disney made John Carter of Mars the biggest SCFI flop ever made... then upon that failure ordered Marvel to make GOG and purchased the star wars franchise. its clear that Disney are making this because they want to have a good portfolio in the SCFI genre but their track record is sketchy.

Personally I think it will be alight, nothing special, but it won't be as successful as Avengers and Iron man 3 (although ironman merely piggied back on the avengers success). I know it be full of unfunny forced awkward humour but the CGI and actions scenes will be great.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just ordered my crystal ball, won't be here till August though, so I'll let you know then...

In all seriousness I think/hope it'll do well. Marvel/Disney is pushing new characters and I openly want more so it needs to be good to show the GA that just because you haven't heard of something doesn't mean it won't be good.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By ccraft

MARVEL HASN'T MADE A FLOP YET

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... most likely it will do alright.

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I'm probably going to see this 3 times so it should do well :P

In all seriousness though, I want this to do well because I'd love a sequel with Moondragon, Quasar, and some of the other 2008 Guardians in it.

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

@ccraft said:

MARVEL HASN'T MADE A FLOP YET

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... most likely it will do alright.

Blade Trinity flopped never made the money back until they packaged the dvd with the other two movies.

Elektra did even worse they spent DOUBLE what they earned ... they actually never made back all the money spent (unless they sold the rights to the dvds and made it that way.)

Man-Thing Flopped big time.....not even a tenth of their money spent came back..... even with dvd sales

yeah,... marvel has flops.

unless you are only counting marvel titles OWNED by Marvel....in which case Guardians of the Galaxy is owned by Disney.. not Marvel...and Marvels record will remain spotless for a LONG time.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ccraft
Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@bierschneeman said:

@ccraft said:

@bierschneeman: DISNEY HAS YET TO MAKE A FLOP YET -fixed!

lol nice...

Disney has most certainty made flops. Lots. Multiple per year, I'd say in fact.

(I realize you're talking CBM's but being facetious ftw)

TIH barely broke even, might have lost money, but not "flop" in say bombed.

It probably won't flop, but I doubt its going to make a huge amount of money.

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bierschneeman said:

@ccraft said:

lol nice...

I wasn't going to argue it....mostly because I don't have the information in front of me without looking it up.... but still

good to know however.

I wonder if it will bomb...I think its possible to come close.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By Fallschirmjager
@bierschneeman said:

@fallschirmjager said:

@bierschneeman said:

@ccraft said:

lol nice...

I wasn't going to argue it....mostly because I don't have the information in front of me without looking it up.... but still

good to know however.

I wonder if it will bomb...I think its possible to come close.

naw. they have too much momentum to straight out bomb, i think.

But it will probably be much lower than they're use to. Thor 2 made like 600m. It will be interesting to see if Cap 2 does first, because Thor 1 made like 100m more than Cap 1.

I don't think GotG is coming close to 600m. Cap 1 made like 325m...might be more its range.

It will depend onhow they market it. No body knows who they are and why they should care about them. Marvel will need to have its best marketing job by far.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey y'all I just got an early copy of Guardians of the Galaxy........

Loading Video...
ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bierschneeman said:

@ccraft said:

lol nice...

Come on... you know what I mean! No Disney/Marvel film has flopped :P

Deadgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Deadgod

It won't do as good as Iron Man 3 or Thor 2 but it certainly won't flop

Avatar image for hillbillymorangie
HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It should do well, not had a good sci if film for years, defiantly not much in the way of contenders... Umm why are people calling this a superhero movie? How's it different to other sci if films? Just because its in the McU doesn't mean it's a superhero film. They will be flying round in spaceships not capes.

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It should do well, not had a good sci if film for years, defiantly not much in the way of contenders... Umm why are people calling this a superhero movie? How's it different to other sci if films? Just because its in the McU doesn't mean it's a superhero film. They will be flying round in spaceships not capes.

Ironman didnt have a cape and im pretty sure everyone calls him a Superhero!

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It will do well no matter what. At this point the Marvel movies have momentum on their side. Such that, even bad movies are well accepted, like Iron Man 3 and Thor 2.

HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonhawke: really, Your going to turn this into an argument?

Star Wars has spaceships and aliens, is that a superhero film? Flash Gordon had aliens and is based on a superhero, is that a superhero movie? Highlander had a guy that couldn't die, is that a superhero film? Rocketeer, that must be a superhero film. Oh and Dune, that had some bloke who had superpowers. Imfact shall we say any film with a Monomyth in must be a superhero film, Karakee Kid maybe, robocop, ghostbusters...

All I'm saying is that this film has more in common with sci if movies then the recent Superhero films and should be compared to those instead. Heck the same could be said about Thor 2 I guess as it had more in common with He-Man then Superman.

Anyway if you want to start calling every new film with heros in a superhero film fine, it just makes me wonder where the line should be drawn.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

The characters are well known only to the hardcore Marvel fans. And without the genius of George Lucas to make the whole new world interesting, we'll have a bigger flop than Johh Carter.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By youknowwhattodo

I think it will do well, the first trailer already 14+ million views, also putting into consideration it was the no.1 ranked movie buzz-wise on IMDB for awhile, AND twitter exploding after the trailer premier, I think that people are underestimating the potential of this movie. It won't make $1 Billion, but as long as it is somewhat decent, it should break-even at least.

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonhawke: really, Your going to turn this into an argument?

Star Wars has spaceships and aliens, is that a superhero film? Flash Gordon had aliens and is based on a superhero, is that a superhero movie? Highlander had a guy that couldn't die, is that a superhero film? Rocketeer, that must be a superhero film. Oh and Dune, that had some bloke who had superpowers. Imfact shall we say any film with a Monomyth in must be a superhero film, Karakee Kid maybe, robocop, ghostbusters...

All I'm saying is that this film has more in common with sci if movies then the recent Superhero films and should be compared to those instead. Heck the same could be said about Thor 2 I guess as it had more in common with He-Man then Superman.

Anyway if you want to start calling every new film with heros in a superhero film fine, it just makes me wonder where the line should be drawn.

Yes to all of that because you want something like "Superhero" to be specific to "Capes, Masks, and Tights" when it's really not.

HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonhawke: not really, I think a superhero has to have an extraudinaty power and use it to protect the public, but here is a definition attributed to Stan Lee found on google.

"A superhero is a person who does heroic deeds and has the ability to do them in a way that a normal person couldn’t. So in order to be a superhero, you need a power that is more exceptional than any power a normal human being could possess, and you need to use that power to accomplish good deeds. Otherwise, a policeman or a fireman could be considered a superhero. For instance, a good guy fighting a bad guy could be just a regular police story or detective story or human-interest story. But if it’s a good guy with a superpower who is fighting a bad guy, it becomes a superhero story. If the good guy is doing something that a normal human being couldn’t do, couldn’t accomplish, then I assume he becomes a superhero. - See more at: http://blog.oup.com/2013/11/stan-lee-on-what-is-a-superhero/#sthash.m0oLP9Sv.dpuf"

Now the lines blurry I know, is the rocketeer a superhero or a hero in a jet pack, is robocop a superhero or just a hero who happens to be part robot? Is Luke sky walker a super hero or just a Jedi? Is any alien a superhero or just an alien? I guess the same logic that makes me feel GotG isn't a superhero film, but a film like starwars or battle beyond the stars, about a group of extradinary space people on an adventure, a space opera or sci fi... I guess the same logic says Superman isn't a super hero, he isn't a human with super powers just an alien, so I dunno, guess we will all draw the line where we like. But for me I won't go into GotG expecting a superhero film. Ill be expecting a space opera.

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that's the thing, we can't predict whether it will be a successful movie because this time the fan base isn't large enough to help make the movie much of a hit. This is good because it really tests the studios ability to just make a good movie that people will see for the sake of it just being good and not because the same hero they've had on their undies since they were six years old finally has his own movie!

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jasonhawke

@jasonhawke: not really, I think a superhero has to have an extraudinaty power and use it to protect the public, but here is a definition attributed to Stan Lee found on google.

"A superhero is a person who does heroic deeds and has the ability to do them in a way that a normal person couldn’t. So in order to be a superhero, you need a power that is more exceptional than any power a normal human being could possess, and you need to use that power to accomplish good deeds. Otherwise, a policeman or a fireman could be considered a superhero. For instance, a good guy fighting a bad guy could be just a regular police story or detective story or human-interest story. But if it’s a good guy with a superpower who is fighting a bad guy, it becomes a superhero story. If the good guy is doing something that a normal human being couldn’t do, couldn’t accomplish, then I assume he becomes a superhero. - See more at: http://blog.oup.com/2013/11/stan-lee-on-what-is-a-superhero/#sthash.m0oLP9Sv.dpuf"

Now the lines blurry I know, is the rocketeer a superhero or a hero in a jet pack, is robocop a superhero or just a hero who happens to be part robot? Is Luke sky walker a super hero or just a Jedi? Is any alien a superhero or just an alien? I guess the same logic that makes me feel GotG isn't a superhero film, but a film like starwars or battle beyond the stars, about a group of extradinary space people on an adventure, a space opera or sci fi... I guess the same logic says Superman isn't a super hero, he isn't a human with super powers just an alien, so I dunno, guess we will all draw the line where we like. But for me I won't go into GotG expecting a superhero film. Ill be expecting a space opera.

All those examples you just listed pretty much qualifies for that definition of Superhero

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did you see how many hits the trailer got on YouTube? It won't flop.

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

So looking forward to this. Of all superhero movies that will premier this year I look most forward to this. I don't think it will go well but it won't flop either.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@hillbillymorangie: I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but Rocketeer was the very definition of a super hero film. It's a comic book character for Superman's sake. Jeez.

Anyhoo...I think if any Marvel Studios movie was to ever flop, this would be the one. It has the most chance of flopping...but I don't think it will. We'll have to see though.

HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: not all comic characters are superheroes, look at Archie, or heck Garfield. I would say that the Gaudians of the Galaxy Comic is a space opera comic, Just as Star Wars and Star Trek comics are. I'd say Rocketeer is a modern pulp hero, like Zorro or Phantom or Mandrake.

But just saying its a fuzzy line.

Gaudians of the Galaxy may flop as a superhero film, but its not a superhero film, its a sci if, as a sci if it looks like it may be amazing.

But whatever, without a clear definition it's a silly arguement. Ill look on Comic Vines search feature and see what that says ;) lol

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@hillbillymorangie: He's a pulp superhero. You can look it up, he's officially classified as a superhero.

Plus, GotG is pretty standard cosmic cape fare. I don't know how you could argue that they aren't superheroes. It's for sure a Sci-Fi movie first, but it definitely falls under the superhero film genre as well.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends if people expect it to do as well as the avengers opening box office then its a flop but if they go into this whith an open mind and not trying to compare its characters to the avengers then I have a feeling it will do well.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Much like Batman vs Superman wait and see.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It will do well.