#1 Posted by Superguy1591 (3911 posts) - - Show Bio

With the preview for Action Comics # 28 released earlier in the day and the scans reading well, Greg Pak is writing the best Superman book of them all in the New 52 in his Action Comics run (Yes, better than Unchained, Justice League and the shame that is Superman) including a story line that topples his Batman/Superman first arc.

I know three issues does not make a legacy, but the way Greg writes Action Comics, you can feel the humanity of the character as you read it. His awkward relationship with Lana, his boy scout mentality and even his quick temper that DC gave Superman in the N52 is at its best. The last writer that wrote Superman this well, to me, was Waid in Birthright.

Anyone else agree with me?

#2 Posted by Saint_Wildcard (12016 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree it's definitely better than Unchained and Superman (I'm enjoying the Forever Evil arc so I can't say better than JL). Don't know much about Mark Waid (Ive only read Kingdom Come) but from what little I have on both I do prefer Greg Pak. I've really enjoyed his explanation of why Young Clark is so cocky and brash. In both SM/BM and AC Zero Year. The two current arc, while they are fun aren't hitting me with the same impact those early issues were. I hope to see how he works with the post Forever Evil setting.

#3 Edited by Sovereign91001 (5001 posts) - - Show Bio

He's had a couple *good* not great issues imo, too early to call it one way or the other.

#4 Posted by Saren (25070 posts) - - Show Bio

Unchained is better.

#5 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18696 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, he's certainly great, but best is a title that needs earning, and it's to early to say right now. Greg Pak has passion for the character which leads me to say that he'll write great stories but for now he hasn't been around much.

#6 Posted by Superguy1591 (3911 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who is enjoying his run.

#7 Posted by scouts1998 (600 posts) - - Show Bio

If he does a story line that ties in other superman books like batman does, it has potential

#8 Posted by Bezza (3859 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Grek Pak has made a great start in Action comics, but Superman/Batman, the one he wrote first was disappointing to say the least. I am a big Pak fan, having loved his Hulk run and I think he understands powerful characters, their alto-egos and how to write them. Whether he is as good as Waid, Morrison etc remains to be seen.

#9 Edited by TDK_1997 (15069 posts) - - Show Bio

Greg Pak's Action Comics is pretty good so far but it still has to top Unchained and Morrison's Action Comics just from the New 52.

#10 Posted by Lvenger (21174 posts) - - Show Bio

@saren said:

Unchained is better.

But you don't like his Batman run for the most part. What gives here? Then again I don't like his Batman run yet prefer Unchained so there's that.

As for the OP's question, Pak's done a really good job on Action Comics and is definitely one of the best New 52 Superman writers. But one of the best Superman writers ever? No way, that judgement can't be made without Pak writing more stories over time. You can't just give someone the best writer title based on a few issues. Pak needs to earn his keep and your claim is unsubstantiated therefore. Plus there's Grant Morrison, Joe Kelly, Mark Waid, Greg Rucka and many more writers who've proven themselves to be among the best Superman writers. Pak now needs to do the same.

#11 Posted by sinestro_GL (3322 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh really? In that case, I should pick up AC again soon...

#12 Posted by Superguy1591 (3911 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by comicdude23 (11331 posts) - - Show Bio

Mark Waid wrote Kingdom Come (the best Superman story) and Birthright (best origin story), so no.

#14 Posted by Superguy1591 (3911 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997: Didn't love Morrison's run, it was good, but it was tough to read a hard to recommend.

But i'm not a fan of Morrison in general so it makes sense why I wouldn't love his run.

#15 Posted by sinestro_GL (3322 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinestro_gl: Start with 25, you wont regret it.

Thanks, buddy. I'm heading down to my LCS soon as well :)

#16 Edited by Superguy1591 (3911 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Pak, if he continues writing Supes like this and doesn't go all B/S chapter 2 on us, this could be his GL (Geoff Johns). I agree he needs to write a phenomenal crossover to bring all the Supes books in (And DC needs to get rid of Lobdell), but when was the last time we read 3 good Superman comics in a row? Geoff Johns in the pre-52?

Imagine if Waid could write the Superman title while Pak writes Action? Pure goodies.

#17 Posted by Deranged Midget (17965 posts) - - Show Bio

So far, I feel like Pak captures the character, the little idiosyncrasies that has been consistent with the Clark/Superman over the years and the voice that emanates from the writing feels genuine and it feels warmly familiar.

So yes, I believe he's the best NEW 52 writer but it's too early to tell whether he's the best writer since Waid on the character.

#18 Posted by TDK_1997 (15069 posts) - - Show Bio

@superguy1591: It was typical Morrison throughout his whole run.Deep,complex stuff that sometimes you have to reread a couple of times yo fully comprehend was is happening.I like it when it is that way because that way I am interested in reading the issues more than once and not getting tired of the stuff that is happening.But I can understand what you mean,some people don't like that kind of storytelling but for me it;s best out there that will ever be.

#19 Posted by SOG7dc (8080 posts) - - Show Bio

Whoa! Little premature there buddy

#20 Posted by SOG7dc (8080 posts) - - Show Bio

Pak has to write a Birthright or (even though I didn't enjoy it) a Kingdom Come before we can make that declaration. He has to craft a story that treads new ground while defining the character and has a masterfully crafted plot while having certain unforgettable moments. Like Superman screaming out in pain in KC or superman grabbing billy batsons mouth in KC or superman telling his mother and father he made it in BR etc.

#21 Posted by Binski (647 posts) - - Show Bio

Unchained is better and the last batman superman arc sucked so I'm going with nooooo

#22 Posted by toplel (988 posts) - - Show Bio

Pak is definitely good, but the reason he seems so great is because hes writing a decent Superman at a time when almost everything else is more or less crap.

#23 Posted by danhimself (22713 posts) - - Show Bio

I still think that Bryan Q. Miller's work on Smallville is better than anything going on with the regular universe books

#24 Posted by Mxyzptlk_CV (1179 posts) - - Show Bio

Pak is good but it's too early too call... let's wait a couple of more issues and then we'll see...

#25 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (34979 posts) - - Show Bio

Pak's cool but Morrison is and always will be the best Superman writer

#26 Posted by RustyRoy (13873 posts) - - Show Bio

Pak's cool but Morrison is and always will be the best Superman writer

This. All Star is possibly the best representation of Superman. I've justed started reading Action Comics and so far I'm enjoying it, my only problem is the artist can't draw the eyes right.

#27 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12589 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's the deal with Greg Pak and Superman. Arc 1 of BM/SM was awesome. Arc 2 with Mongul totally sucked. Add that to the few issues he's done of Superman = there's no way to tell what legacy he'll leave on the character. Mark Waid is modern day living legend, I dare say, it will be very difficult to top his work.

#28 Posted by dagmar_merrill (10248 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's the deal with Greg Pak and Superman. Arc 1 of BM/SM was awesome. Arc 2 with Mongul totally sucked. Add that to the few issues he's done of Superman = there's no way to tell what legacy he'll leave on the character. Mark Waid is modern day living legend, I dare say, it will be very difficult to top his work.

Who would deny that Mark Waid is a Comic book legend?

#29 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12589 posts) - - Show Bio

@arturocalakayvee said:

Who would deny that Mark Waid is a Comic book legend?

Great question and I'm so glad you asked that. I don't have an answer other than people have their own opinions and some may not agree with this via not liking his writing or accusing me of overrating his skill.