Is genjutsu considered a telepathic attack?

Avatar image for xxedward_kenwayxx
XxEdward_KenwayXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

i've always wondered if genjutsu was considered a form of telepathy. like, some members of the uchiha clan can cast a genjutsu that can paralyze you and make you hallucinate the most terrifying things in life. whats cool though, is that all they gotta do is make eye contact with you.once your eyes meet theirs, your put into a genjutsu. is this considered some form of telepathy?

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3 the_stegman  Moderator

It's a chakra attack. It disrupts chakra flow, causing hallucinations.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kyrees

if you ignore the chakra requirement to it, yes it is

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Not imo, it doesn't have anywhere near the versatility of full telepathy, I suppose you could try and argue it was a limited form of TP...that said you could equate them as mental attacks and I think mental fortitude/defenses for non Naruto character's should apply when taking genjutsu into account.

Dratini1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xxedward_kenwayxx: It's an assault on the mind for sure, however, Naruto style genjutsu is not something I would necessarily consider TP. At the very least, I would place that into it's own subcategory of TP, which is, "TP that doesn't directly target the mind."

Genjutsu works by manipulating the chakra of the opponent, so it's not TP in the traditional sense. It's illusionary abilities are also rather unique when comparing it to TP from western media (though it's quite common in asian media).

To directly answer the question, "Genjutsu is part of a sub category of TP, and is pretty far removed from more traditional forms of the power"

ShenKuei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, it's completely different. Genjutsu is basically a type of illusion.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't consider it TP exactly. It works on a pretty specific rule of controlling the flow of someone else's chakra to induce whatever illusions you want.

XxEdward_KenwayXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By XxEdward_KenwayXx

@dratini1331: okay, that makes sense. so the user is basically manipulating the targets chakra at some extent? i always thought that was badass. i wish i could perfom genjutsu.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@dratini1331: okay, that makes sense. so the user is basically manipulating the targets chakra at some extent? i always thought that was badass. i wish i could perfom genjutsu.

That's assuming real life humans actually have chakra networks, we don't (as far as I know) so genjutsu would be useless :P

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@xxedward_kenwayxx said:

That's assuming real life humans actually have chakra networks, we don't (as far as I know) so genjutsu would be useless :P

Yeah, that last part does raise some questions. In Dragon Ball they made it clear that everyone has Chi, but Naruto doesn't explain Chakra as well as DBZ did with Chi. I'm guessing we would have Chakra networks because even the people in Naruto who are not ninjas seem to have them, given that the Byakugan (sorry if I misspelled) can still see it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

It'd be a psychic attack, don't know about telepathic though...

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By hart7668

@aros001: It was actually explained that there was a part in time when humans did not have chakra. Chakra was stolen from some huge tree and the Earth's defense mechanism was the Juubi. Now, it's been so assimilated that everyone has it, regardless of ninja status

ShenKuei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The whole "genjutsu manipulates the enemy's chakra" thing is complete BS in my opinion. If it was that easy to remotely manipulate someone's chakra you should be able to do a lot more than make them see a hallucination. You could completely shut down any shinobi with ease. Keep in mind most genjutsu doesn't even require eye contact or anything like that, that's only a handful of the most powerful ones. If that's really how genjutsu works it pretty much makes every other technique irrelevant.

Genjutsu worked fine the way it was before that explanation when it was basically just illusions. I put that explanation on a lower level than the midi-chlorian thing from Star Wars.

The only way I can reconcile this idea is if it's only the most powerful genjutsu that can mess with a person's chakra. That would actually make a lot of sense.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@the_stegman:

It is naruto they will put chackra on all their tecniques.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@shenkuei:

Naruto´s ninjas are full of bs. Plus it is the anime. All skill are powerful but either have weakness or several rules to use it.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shenkuei: It might not work the way you are suggesting. And even if it did that might be too OP.

XxEdward_KenwayXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shenkuei: who knows, on naruto everybody's genjutsu attack is different from the others. most of them do cause hallucinations though. but powerful users like itachi, madara, sasuke and shisui uchiha can also completely shut their targets down. they will literally stop what they are doing and fall straight to the ground. but theirs also other powerful users that can counter genjutsu.and they cant just straight out use it, it waste a lot of chakra. you never know who your opponent is, they might be able to use other techniques or block your genjutsu. idk, it has its rules just like everything else.

Dratini1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Dratini1331

@aros001: chakra is way better explained than Ki in DB ever was. I don't remember them ever going into length about Ki, and the most they ever talked about was it basically being "life force". Naruto has an entire segment of it's first few arcs devoted to explaining some of what Chakra is. It's even shown to align with our lymphatic system.

@xxedward_kenwayxx: Basically.

sladerulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no.

Genjutsu is the art of using chakra to alter the way your senses process something. the yamanaka clan had telepathic abilities, but were still vulnerable to genjutsu. telepathy goes straight to the brain, but most genjutsu only alters the senses.

the closest thing to telepathy is the tsukyomi, kotoamatsukami, izanami, and the mugen tsukyomi.

there's also the izanagi, which alters reality itself.

however, unless it's the other four, it cannot be considered genjutsu.

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is sensory manipulation.

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well it isn't a physical attack, it attacks the mind, so I would say that counts as telepathic.

Marc_55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sladerulez: Please, there have been more than enough topics on this.

Avatar image for almightyamortal
AlmightyAmortal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Closest thing to TP in Naruto were the Yamanaka Clan jutsu.

sladerulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sladerulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sladerulez

which also makes me wonder, how well does it work against telepathic opponents?

considering Ino is a telepath, but she was caught in a genjutsu fairly easily during the chunin exam.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not strictly telepathy, but it is an attack on the mind to manipulate it, primarily by targeting the senses. If a character has the ability to shield their mind from being manipulated or can turn off their senses then they should be able to deal with most genjutsu. However since so many genjutsu are different it depends on the specific technique being used. Being able to fight without seeing is fine for an optical genjutsu, but won't do you much good against a paralysis genjutsu, as an example.

Callagassi72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But isnt telepathy and genjustus basically fill and a persons brain or mind with ur own mental energies or chakra and manipulating their senses and mind seems so to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8c48323d2d9
deactivated-5c8c48323d2d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its not the same.

We know chakra or Chi exists in the Marvel and DC world. It attacks that and not the mind.

Chungus5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

Avatar image for deactivated-610a41ad42f50
deactivated-610a41ad42f50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Genjustu users about to genjutsu the Living Tribunal.

Avatar image for calljhonthanapp
calljhonthanapp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes and no

EpicHotFlame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EpicHotFlame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By EpicHotFlame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@epichotflame said:

@darkhorse15: so genjutsu won't affect him

You need TP resistances to resist it, since Genjutsu and TP do the same exact thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-60f8a948a0372
deactivated-60f8a948a0372

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep. Something that allows the user to cast illusions and read minds should be considered telepathy.

Avatar image for deactivated-610a41edded34
deactivated-610a41edded34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Genjustu users about to genjutsu the Living Tribunal.