• 143 results
#1 Posted by xxxddd (3593 posts) - - Show Bio

Is being more iconic make one character more iconic than another one?

For example, since more non-comic fans know of Wonder Woman than of Ms. Marvel, does that make Diana a better character based on that alone?

#2 Posted by Orician_Seis (491 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does this matter

#3 Edited by dagmar_merrill (10309 posts) - - Show Bio

No, it doesn't. But it doesn't matter anyway.. this is all opinions.

#4 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

No

#5 Edited by Experio (17230 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#6 Edited by Dratini1331 (7040 posts) - - Show Bio
@xxxddd said:

I'm confused. Are you talking like, does an iconic company make it's characters more iconic by default? Not really. Wonder Woman, for example, has been around a long time, a lot longer than miss marvel. That's really what's making her iconic. It's that she's one of the first (actually probably the first) comic heroine.

I also think Diana has had better stories and gotten more attention because DC directly tries to promote her along side batman and superman. Basically, the more publicity a character gets, the more popular and iconic they will become, provided the character isn't really awful of course.

#7 Posted by Ryagan (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

That all depends on your preferences. "Better" is subjective.

#8 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12614 posts) - - Show Bio

1. We've already had about a hundred threads like this before.

2. "Better" is subjective. It's an opinion.

3. Marvel has been better than DC for AT LEAST the past 2.5 years.

4. Just because DC may have more iconic characters does not mean it's better.

5. I'm outta here

#9 Posted by ColaNicole (610 posts) - - Show Bio

I think you're also asking if popularity makes someone better. Which isn't really how being iconic works. Superman and Batman are more iconic than say, Captain America or Thor perhaps, but whether they're better or not is opinion.

#10 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

Technically now more people know the avengers and the X-Men more than the justice league because of movies so I dont think youd get too many supporters from your argument

#11 Edited by The Stegman (26046 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Wolverine is more popular than Daredevil, but I find DD much more interesting.

#12 Posted by NICK31898 (2181 posts) - - Show Bio

Well the only thing I have to say is....Spider-man......*whispers* this makes marvel better....*ducks back into cave*

#13 Edited by RogueShadow (11962 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Obviously not.

#14 Edited by The_Titan_Lord (7084 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope.

#15 Edited by JakeN7 (13254 posts) - - Show Bio

@xxxddd said:

For example, since more non-comic fans know of Wonder Woman than of Ms. Marvel, does that make Diana a better character based on that alone?

Iconic isn't representative of quality. Just because my grandmother knows who Wonder Women is, doesn't necessarily mean that Ms. Marvel is not a better overall character. I don't believe that, but it's your example.

#16 Edited by JetiiMitra (8874 posts) - - Show Bio

Not at all.

#17 Posted by StormShadow_X (1770 posts) - - Show Bio

@xxxddd said:

Is DC better then Marvel? That's a matter of opinion. I think DC has been treated unfairly and underrated the last few years and that DC is actually better everywhere but the movie category. Even in Comics I think DC owns Marvel. Like I said its a Opinion. As for the question...No. Plain and simple. The two biggest heroes right now and probably for the next 20 years are Batman and Superman and I'd be lying If I said that there counter Parts Cap America and Iron aren't just as amazing characters. Spiderman is defiantly more Iconic then Shazam/Captain Marvel. But in my opinion pre new 52 Captain Marvel was one of the top 10 most interesting characters. So Is Dc better then Marvel? That depends on what you like and what you prefer. Does Iconic Make better characters? Well Unlike every body else I won't say no. But Dc's Iconic characters each have there match on the Marvel side who has just as many fans and supporters who think they are better for a specific reason. Hope this helped. Probably the most well Thought Out think I have ever typed

#18 Posted by deaditegonzo (3690 posts) - - Show Bio

DC is better than Marvel, but it is because Marvel became too caught up in politics. They care too much about the real world. They are also too angsty (but in the shallow way).

But, as everyone has said, its a matter of opinion.

#19 Posted by DarthAznable (8182 posts) - - Show Bio

@deaditegonzo: DC is far darker than Marvel, especially in media.

Also neither is better than the other. It's about opinion but fanboys get too out of hand with it.

#20 Edited by JulieDC (1079 posts) - - Show Bio

I always think back to what my sister told me when I was little during a discussion on singers. As she explained it to me, being famous and being popular is not the same thing. Being famous means it has a major impact on the entire industry and is very influential (and can transcend several generations) whereas popularity is just what the public likes at the moment. Being famous does not necessarily mean you are currently popular. And currently being the most popular doesn't mean you'll one day be the most famous.

#21 Posted by deaditegonzo (3690 posts) - - Show Bio

Also neither is better than the other. It's about opinion but fanboys get too out of hand with it.

I never mentioned "dark" as an adjective. I said Marvel is angstier, more political, and cares too much about the real world.

Now granted, the most "realistic" films have come out of DC, which is surprising, but its an entirely different medium. Id say the 4 big DC movies are all better than any Marvel movie to date.

And I definitely said that it was just my opinion. Its not an objective fact, its my opinion. Objectivity hardly exists in reality.

#22 Posted by RustyRoy (13968 posts) - - Show Bio

I like DC more than Marvel, personal opinion.

#23 Posted by Starbrander (151 posts) - - Show Bio

No

#24 Edited by DarthAznable (8182 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthaznable said:

I never mentioned "dark" as an adjective. I said Marvel is angstier, more political, and cares too much about the real world.

Now granted, the most "realistic" films have come out of DC, which is surprising, but its an entirely different medium. Id say the 4 big DC movies are all better than any Marvel movie to date.

And I definitely said that it was just my opinion. Its not an objective fact, its my opinion. Objectivity hardly exists in reality.

Eh. I wouldn't say that but..that's totally your opinion bro.

#25 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5675 posts) - - Show Bio

No...

#26 Edited by Dratini1331 (7040 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthaznable said:

What's the 4th? like outside the DK trilogy.

#27 Posted by Jeremy1989 (793 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does this matter

Fanboyism my friend, fanboyism.

#28 Posted by DarthAznable (8182 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by Dratini1331 (7040 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Posted by DaseanComerWCR (888 posts) - - Show Bio

no dc is not

marvel makes more money

has more iconic characters (a greater number of iconic characters noone beats superman tho)

dc=marvel story lines both are great at that

i love stan-lee

#31 Edited by Fallschirmjager (18967 posts) - - Show Bio

@dratini1331: V for Vendetta :3

also @op. Neither is better than the other. They both have strengths they both of weaknesses.

#32 Edited by DaseanComerWCR (888 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthaznable said:

not really marvels most iconic characters are pretty dark

1punisher>deathstroke

2 iron man(he kills)>batman

3 blade (no exp needed)

4 hulk his mom got killed by his dad in front of him and his wife got killed and his planet got killed etc

5 wolverine (no exp needed)

6 Cap his parents died at an early age, he has killed dozens in war

7black widdow she is a master assassin

they also has an answer for every super psyco that dc has i mean just take a look at the ultimate universe youll see what im talking about

#33 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (12463 posts) - - Show Bio

Nyet

#34 Edited by HillbillyMorangie (927 posts) - - Show Bio

No I doubt it, is Spring-heeled Jack a better hero then Superman? Nope, age and fame isn't everything. Some heros are much more famous and long lived then superman for example, but he is still the most iconic superhero.

#35 Posted by HillbillyMorangie (927 posts) - - Show Bio

@dratini1331: Second, Sheena was first for Wags magazine http://comicbookcatacombs.blogspot.co.uk/2010/03/sheena-queen-of-jungle-in-blood-hunger.html

#36 Posted by Dratini1331 (7040 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Edited by xxxddd (3593 posts) - - Show Bio

@dratini1331: I'm saying what I've already said: if one character is more iconic than another, does that make the one first character better?

@mitran said:

Not at all.

Why is that?

#38 Edited by HillbillyMorangie (927 posts) - - Show Bio

@xxxddd: just look at the 1st Heros, ill ignore non-American ones...

Flash Gordon, The Mandrake, The Phantom, Dr Occult, The Clock, Sheena... That's ignoring heros that predate comics, Zorro, John Carter, Lone Ranger, the Green Hornet, Buck Rodgers, Tarzan, etc...

So Are you asking does Age = Icon? Or are you saying Supermans better so DC is better so nanana nana?

Also remember it was Namor that flew first he had a lot of supermans powers before superman did, is Namor better then other Marvel heros? No... Is he more Iconic? I have no idea, depends what you mean by iconic.

#39 Posted by Dratini1331 (7040 posts) - - Show Bio

@xxxddd: i see, then the answer is no.

#40 Posted by RD189 (1589 posts) - - Show Bio

The only argument I've ever seen in terms of DC characters being "iconic" is the fact they've been around longer.

I always counter that Spider-Man is equally iconic to either Superman or Batman, Captain America has been around twice as long, and in terms of cultural awareness/movies, Marvel has the leg up.

But this has been debated to death. It doesnt matter which company is "better", it's about finding the stories that you enjoy reading.

#41 Edited by Black_Claw (3107 posts) - - Show Bio

It's all a matter of opinion.

#42 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22993 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

I like DC more than Marvel, personal opinion.

Personal opinion thats right

#43 Posted by Farkam (5297 posts) - - Show Bio

@xxxddd said:

Let's say Edward Cullen was more well known than Harry Potter. Does that make him the better character? Think about that. Well known =/= Higher Quality.

#44 Posted by ccraft (5590 posts) - - Show Bio

Is chocolate better than vanilla? OF COURSE DC IS BETTER!!!

#45 Edited by JoeC_Mommy (197 posts) - - Show Bio

Recently, M-I-L texted me a photo of a newspaper strip, The Argyle Sweater. In it, a man in a utilitarian uniform, the numeral four circled on his chest, his leg quite literally tied in knots, asks a doctor for advice. The doctor tells him to stretch. She texted it to me because she wondered whether the uniformed man was a comic-book character. If the uniform man had had a cape and the letter S on his chest, she wouldn't have wondered, she would've known he was Superman.

Because DC's Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman are the most iconic superheroes. They have the most longevity, in both comics and film, television, radio, etc.

So … The more iconic, the more better? Uh, it's really to your taste. Shrug. Marvel Comics is mine, whether or not they have the most iconic characters. For me, "better" isn't who the characters are, but how they're developed and deployed.

What I think that DC *is* the best at is the careful, conscientious development and deployment of their IPs. That's right: They're not characters, not to the bean-counters at WB, but copyrights and trademarks that they treat like trade-secrets. Marvel Comics had some very foolish businessmen sell off their most valuable IPs. They sold licenses-for-life, for pennies. (Pennies!)

#46 Edited by SilverPool (2273 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft said:

Is chocolate better than vanilla? OF COURSE DC IS BETTER!!!

I actually like Vanilla more than Chocolate....

#47 Posted by deaditegonzo (3690 posts) - - Show Bio

@dratini1331: Man of Steel.

Yep, thats the one.

Its actually my favorite CBM to date. And its interesting how, even amongst people who dont necessarily like it, it has changed the way other CBMs are judged. From now until forever, there will always be Pre-MOS CBM action scenes, and POST-MoS Action scenes.

#48 Edited by DarthAznable (8182 posts) - - Show Bio

@daseancomerwcr said:

@darthaznable said:

not really marvels most iconic characters are pretty dark

1punisher>deathstroke

2 iron man(he kills)>batman

3 blade (no exp needed)

4 hulk his mom got killed by his dad in front of him and his wife got killed and his planet got killed etc

5 wolverine (no exp needed)

6 Cap his parents died at an early age, he has killed dozens in war

7black widdow she is a master assassin

they also has an answer for every super psyco that dc has i mean just take a look at the ultimate universe youll see what im talking about

But does that mood ever really translate over to the big screen? Lol Almost never. Except for Blade I-II, and both Punishers. Killing doesn't make you a darker character. Batman has had 2 Robins die, almost lost a Batgirl, lives in a cesspool of murder, rape, and just about every possible evil act you can think of, got addicted to an early form of Venom and had to go through his own type of detox. Punisher=Deathstroke imo. I mean his own wife shot him in the face and has a bad history with his kids(Unless this was changed in new 52). I have seen the Ultimate universe, sure it's edger than the normal 616 but still. Shouldn't compare the franchises.

#49 Edited by DarthAznable (8182 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthaznable said:

@dratini1331: Man of Steel.

Yep, thats the one.

Its actually my favorite CBM to date. And its interesting how, even amongst people who dont necessarily like it, it has changed the way other CBMs are judged. From now until forever, there will always be Pre-MOS CBM action scenes, and POST-MoS Action scenes.

Man of Steel was probably my favorite superhero movie to date. I'm not that big a Superman fan. People can keep their Avengers.(Movie was a joke)

#50 Posted by daredevil21134 (12705 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel all the way because of the New 52