• 147 results
#101 Edited by Web_Flotsam (1066 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: Fine with me. I just wanted to know what you felt made DBZ better then TAS.

#102 Posted by Ace Thunder (416 posts) - - Show Bio

They wasted an entire episode having Goku charge up a spirit bomb Frieza didn't even notice.

Wow.

#103 Edited by Web_Flotsam (1066 posts) - - Show Bio

@ace_thunder: To be fair, Freeza was kind of an idiot. His plans would have been more successful if he wasn't on the planet giving terrible orders.

#104 Posted by MysteriousUsername (1210 posts) - - Show Bio
#105 Posted by Ace Thunder (416 posts) - - Show Bio

@web_flotsam:

An idiot or blind?

I think everybody who sat thru that episode was the idiot including me.

I mean damn did he even change into form number 428-a?

Like i was saying the premise of the show grows old. It's like Never land or that frequency you can only hear if your under a certain age.

It must be more for kids. I mean how many other shows do you know that were on Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon?

#106 Posted by Web_Flotsam (1066 posts) - - Show Bio

@ace_thunder: I can't think of any other show that played on both channels, so yeah, that's pretty unique. As for the premise, it was a great plot maker. However, I felt the dragonballs kind of ruined the tension, considering the ones on Namek could bring you back infinite times. Also, I wish they could find a use for the dragonballs other than immortality and bringing people back to life. Wish for some creativity!

#107 Posted by Ace Thunder (416 posts) - - Show Bio

@web_flotsam:

Another reason people put Superman over Goku: He's died more times.

I would actually like to see Goku and Superman on Snake Way working together to get back to stop Darkseid and Cell from Planet raping Earth.

.....Maijin Doomsday. Lol

Maybe Bizarro and Raditz.

#108 Edited by Web_Flotsam (1066 posts) - - Show Bio

@ace_thunder: Superman with the kaioken is all kinds of win.

On an off note, why didn't Yamcha, Piccolo, Choutzu, and Tien learn the kaioken? It would have kept them relevant in the series for longer. Also, Cell and Darkseid would definately be better than Bizzaro and Raditz. Raditz, like most of DBZ's villains, was boring. Cell was awesome, and so is Darksied.

#109 Posted by Ace Thunder (416 posts) - - Show Bio

@web_flotsam: They'd be relevant if they weren't always lying around bleeding and breathing hard waiting for Goku to rescue them.

The Z fighters came off more like Lois Lane than Chi Chi ever did. If were making Superman/Goku comparisons maybe we shouldn't. It might turn into Chicago in here.

I wish the learned their own way to get stronger and have unique moves that did such. Training with King Kai when they all ready got murked looks sad.

Should be a term for MMA fighters."You better train hard now or you'll be chasing King Kai's monkey".

But Man if Superman actually learned martial arts and could generate ki energy under Earth's Sun or anywhere else that would be pretty cool. Him learning some new move...wow.

#110 Posted by M3th (2037 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe but it Wasatch big part of my childhood so IDGAFFFFF. I say people should watch Dragon Ball today see if they like the first series still. I know DBZ can drag on.

#111 Edited by Web_Flotsam (1066 posts) - - Show Bio

@ace_thunder: Well, Krillin had a special move that was really cool- the destructo disk. In combination with the solar flare, he could have killed Vegeta, Freeza, and maybe even Cell. But he never used it to its full extent, and that's the problem. Power was the only thing that mattered in the series, and techniques took a back seat. In fact, every villain was beat one of two ways: a power boost or the spirit bomb. There was literally nothing else.

#112 Edited by KingRobbStark (165 posts) - - Show Bio

I never watched, nor do I plan too (I actually was planning to, but I changed my mind). To be fair the only reason I didn't watch it was because I didn't have cable as a kid.

#113 Edited by Ace Thunder (416 posts) - - Show Bio

@m3th said:

.....I know DBZ can drag on.

Well wasn't the DBZ series just a stretched out version of the DB movies?

I used to joke and call it Drag On Balls. Cause yeah that show drags all seven of them.

Balls. It Drag On Balls.

#114 Posted by cfrehse (1004 posts) - - Show Bio

ita not overrated. Its meant for kids and teens. Its good for what it is.

#115 Edited by LeeSensei (385 posts) - - Show Bio

Everything is over rated. I don't consider DBZ very good, but the Original series about Goku growing up was a quality series and it's a shame that it's in the shadow of it's inferior sequel.

I've also seen a lot of fans hating the fillers, but IIRC, some of the fillers were better than the actual show. One that I remember really well is one the one where Gohan runs away from Piccolo (who kidnapped him and forced him to train to fight Vegeta) and meets up with some orphans. He gets to know them and through interacting with them realizes what they're fighting for and what they need to protect.

#116 Edited by Nelomaxwell (10365 posts) - - Show Bio

It's just as overrated as the crap Marvel and DC put out.

#117 Edited by SoftMachineOo (128 posts) - - Show Bio

@morpheus_: is it only me getting DB and goku post on my FB all the time?

#118 Posted by Web_Flotsam (1066 posts) - - Show Bio

@leesensei: I thought that episode was actually really bad due having no sort of resolution and not contributing at all to Gohan's character.

#119 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (16006 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really, it's a lot like reading silver age, better, actually.

#120 Posted by RetconCrisis (3338 posts) - - Show Bio

No. DBZ is for the action and fun for teens and kids, not for story like other animes like Naruto. And I thought Battle of Gods was pretty fun and good. The action is awesome. Most people skim over the story and say it's all screaming and action. There's a lot more story than the surface. I find it having a LOT more story than something like crossovers in comics.

#121 Edited by LeeSensei (385 posts) - - Show Bio
@web_flotsam said:

@leesensei: I thought that episode was actually really bad due having no sort of resolution and not contributing at all to Gohan's character.

Actually, it had a lot to do with his growth as a character. It did have a resolution. And it did contribute to his character. And I'll back it up.

#122 Posted by Friorey (107 posts) - - Show Bio

Most Overrated shit ever !

Awesome when I was younger. Now it's near unwatchable.

and this ^

#123 Posted by ImagineMan16 (466 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually watched an episode this morning, after all but forgetting about it for years. I adored the show beyond belief as a kid, and watching it now... I thought it was hilarious. I didn't particularly like it, but I definitely enjoyed the whole episode because it was just so whimsically stupid

#124 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

Everything is overrated.

#125 Posted by oppagangnamstyle19 (142 posts) - - Show Bio

This may sound embarrassing, but I. Still new to dbz. Im currently on episode 130sh

#126 Posted by hart7668 (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

I dunno, is Batman overrated? Is Spider-Man overrated? Who constitutes what's overrated and what isn't? Why should we care?

Akira Toriyama's work is still selling with anime movie after movie, game after game, even though the main story has been over for nearly 20 years. It wouldn't sell if people didn't at least buy it - and who would buy something they didn't like (in terms of luxury)? If DBZ is unappealing to you, then it might seem overrated. If you still enjoy the series, you might be wondering why people are wasting their time pointlessly hating on it. Little character developement? Yup. Repetitive story lines? You betcha. Still awesome? To me, yes. To you, who knows?

It's all a matter of perspective.

#128 Edited by Batcave101 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah Dbz is lame at times but for the most part so are most anime there super Asian/Japan cartoons at then end the day Dbz has racked up more money then other animes.

#129 Posted by MatteoPG (1921 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends. People who still enjoy it (meaning they still read it and watch episodes) after a certain age are certainly overestimating it. It is a work meant for little kids, of course, with no character development and no real intelligent plot twists. Also, it doesn't try to be varied or reinvent itself. But for kids is absolutely fine.

#130 Posted by Strider92 (16092 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes

#131 Posted by jojjimbo (2472 posts) - - Show Bio

@goosehorn: Totally agree, looking back now its just not as good as i remember it.

#132 Posted by God_Spawn (37313 posts) - - Show Bio
#133 Posted by RogueShadow (9946 posts) - - Show Bio

It sucks giant monkey balls.

#134 Posted by BlackWind (5508 posts) - - Show Bio

@matteopg: Basically this. If you herald anything in DBZ save the action, I dunno what you're even on.

#135 Posted by JuliantheApostate (52 posts) - - Show Bio

The show goes too slowly and too much yelling.

The manga and the DBZ movies are a different story though.

#136 Edited by TheReptile (190 posts) - - Show Bio

@hart7668 said:

I dunno, is Batman overrated? Is Spider-Man overrated? Who constitutes what's overrated and what isn't? Why should we care?

Akira Toriyama's work is still selling with anime movie after movie, game after game, even though the main story has been over for nearly 20 years. It wouldn't sell if people didn't at least buy it - and who would buy something they didn't like (in terms of luxury)? If DBZ is unappealing to you, then it might seem overrated. If you still enjoy the series, you might be wondering why people are wasting their time pointlessly hating on it. Little character developement? Yup. Repetitive story lines? You betcha. Still awesome? To me, yes. To you, who knows?

#137 Edited by mk111 (3140 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know, I still love DBZ, but I guess it depends on the person.

#138 Posted by Gambit474 (1460 posts) - - Show Bio

DBZ the show itself isn't overrated..However it was only cool because it appealed to us more in our younger ages. What does make it overrated though is some of its hardcore fanboys who think Goku,Vegeta,Buu,and all them are some kind of unstoppable force

#139 Posted by MasterKungFu (1318 posts) - - Show Bio

not much of DBZ fan though I don't think its overrated. it gets a lot more hate than you think. it's just hard these days for non-comic book franchises e.g. DC Universe, Marvel Universe, to be able to compete with these big guns in anything. we are living in a world where superheroes are taking over TV shows, books, movies etc. DC/Marvel would always be remembered until the end of time.

#140 Posted by Kazuma_Bushi (778 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm always going to be a fan of DBZ I don't care if I'm 110 I'll still be watching it.

#141 Posted by DarthAznable (5808 posts) - - Show Bio

I love DBZ and **** what else anyone else says. Why should it matter if they dislike it? Idk why people get butt hurt over stuff when someone shares a different opinion.

#142 Posted by pikachumonster (3100 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. Usually calling something overrated means you think it doesn't live up to a certain hype given to it. Dragon Ball does everything, fans love it for what it is. What is there to compare

#143 Posted by Mekboy (1106 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say DBZ is kinda like FF7. It's cool to hate it now and favour something else of it's kind. (In FF's case it would be FF6)

#144 Edited by BlackWind (5508 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

It gets a pass for being a classic and people act like you are inherently wrong for pointing out the many flaws it has. DBZ does not hold up you are not stuck in the 90s or have the interests of 14 year old.

#145 Posted by JasonHawke (1077 posts) - - Show Bio

What isnt overrated these days?

#146 Edited by Redskull490 (448 posts) - - Show Bio

I got this from JudasNixon.

#147 Edited by Redskull490 (448 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow: Same thing can be said about Lame of Thrones. You are dancing in a hornets nest.Just for that I already flagged maisie williams twitter posts.

Anime fanbase response:

#148 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (10269 posts) - - Show Bio

@hart7668 said:

#149 Posted by colliderz (1335 posts) - - Show Bio

If you ignore the Broly fanbase the answer is no